PDA

View Full Version : How many miles left after last dot gone on gauge.

NORCAL SS
08-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Anyone know how many miles and or gallons are left after last dot is gone on gas gauge? I

luckymoi
08-04-2013, 05:42 AM
Anyone know how many miles and or gallons are left after last dot is gone on gas gauge? I

You don't like the number given as RANGE by the evic?

BigT
08-04-2013, 10:16 AM
The number no longer displays below I would say somewhere between 30 - 34 miles to empty. Usually once the warning of low fuel is displayed the range turns to --.- . Usually once it turns to --.- I try to get to a gas station as quick as possible.

Felnus
08-04-2013, 10:24 AM
I've only ran down that low once. I think I filled up with 9.8 or 9.9 gallons if I'm remembering right, it was about a year ago.

Mini Cord
08-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I believe the last dot never goes away.

duster497
08-04-2013, 11:40 AM
The last dot does go away (happened during my test drive) at which point I asked the salesman if we should get gas, but he said we'd be fine and still have about a gallon left. This was last Saturday.

NORCAL SS
08-04-2013, 11:46 AM
ill see i have 10 gallons of race gas and on the last dot. Ill just keep a 5 gallon jug in the car and see how many miles after the dot is gone prob today.

ScorpionSkins.com
08-04-2013, 12:09 PM
It's probably optical illusion, but the last two dots always seem to consume much more rapidly than a full half dot before them. The moment I begin to approach empty I know I need to find a gas station within the next 15-20 minutes of driving.

Also, I've read that it's best not to allow your tank to reach the lower fuel limits to prevent the passage of higher concentrations of fuel sediments from the base of your gas tank into the fuel system. I've also read that fuel pumps work harder under low fuel conditions, which places unnecessary stress on the component and may potentially lead to premature failure. I cannot validate these claims and they may just be nonsense, so please take them with a grain of salt.

DuckDodgers
08-04-2013, 12:40 PM
My experience was (all measures are U.S. gallons/~3.8 litres per):

1/4 tank left, took 8 gallons (2.5 left)

1/8 tank left, took 9.25 gallons (1.25)

1/16 tank left, took 9.9 gallons (.6 left)

Did it with a controlled drive where I pulled in as soon as the segment above the test level disappeared. I was also aware of the risk of damage outlined below.

On ScorpionSkins comments, he is right on. First, the contaminents in you tank will be more concentrated at lower fuel levels. But an even better arguement is that the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in the tank. When you run the pump to the lowest level, you allow the pump to get hot and possibly shorten it's life (if done in an ongoing manner). The pump is probably locate in a small sump (I haven't look at this in the Fiat), and since the Fuel Filter is not a maintainance item, it is likely integral to the pump and sender assembly. That's the new trend in vehicles and is really not good, as you have to pull (or replace) the whole thing to replace the fuel filter.

NORCAL SS
08-04-2013, 01:10 PM
23 miles guys

Tweak
08-04-2013, 05:33 PM
My experience was (all measures are U.S. gallons/~3.8 litres per):

1/4 tank left, took 8 gallons (2.5 left)

1/8 tank left, took 9.25 gallons (1.25)

1/16 tank left, took 9.9 gallons (.6 left)

Did it with a controlled drive where I pulled in as soon as the segment above the test level disappeared. I was also aware of the risk of damage outlined below.

On ScorpionSkins comments, he is right on. First, the contaminents in you tank will be more concentrated at lower fuel levels. But an even better arguement is that the fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline in the tank. When you run the pump to the lowest level, you allow the pump to get hot and possibly shorten it's life (if done in an ongoing manner). The pump is probably locate in a small sump (I haven't look at this in the Fiat), and since the Fuel Filter is not a maintainance item, it is likely integral to the pump and sender assembly. That's the new trend in vehicles and is really not good, as you have to pull (or replace) the whole thing to replace the fuel filter.

Under the bottom of the rear seat is the access for the gas pump, at least FIAT made it much easier to get to when needed than many.

Fiat500USA
08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Info on the instrument panel and how the gas gauge works: A look at the Fiat 500 Instrument Panel (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2013/02/a-look-at-fiat-500-instrument-panel.html)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WEtangyTjnk/USqThoT5qvI/AAAAAAAAQXw/oNKDZoJA7uM/s400/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat-500-Abarth-Instrument%2520011.JPG

GetsThruBuckner
08-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Don't know the exact number, but I was coming home from PA and as I was crossing the George Washington Bridge I hit the dreaded "Zero Bars!" I made it about 17 forehead-sweat-inducing miles:frantic4yc: to the first Shell I could find. Yes I am that stubborn. :dog:

NORCAL SS
08-04-2013, 11:29 PM
23 miles like i said above. i tested it out today

trevc
08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=109261&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1333062408

Long_John
08-05-2013, 06:48 PM
The only thing correct is that the fuel helps cool the pump. Everything else is a load crap.. The pump sucks fuel from the bottom of the tank, no matter if its full/half or empty. So your not sucking any garbage or dirty fuel etc. Nothing is going to damage the engine.. I've run every car I've owned from full to empty for every fill up and never had a problem.
People read into things too much

DuckDodgers
08-05-2013, 07:45 PM
The only thing correct is that the fuel helps cool the pump. Everything else is a load crap

Thanks for your opinion, mine differs. The last of the fuel will certainly have a chance for more contaminents in it, simply as a matter of physics. As for the fuel filter issue, it's quite real. The average fuel quality in the U.S. is not great. Removing a changable filter and using an integrated unit is not consumer friendly, in my opinion.

Also, you suggesting my fuel figure were crap too? On what basis?

Fiat500USA
08-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Running out of fuel can cause missfires and can lead to damaging the converter. Not recommended.

WarLes
04-03-2014, 09:05 PM
…and how were you driving it?

NORCAL SS
04-04-2014, 01:14 AM
city driving.