PDA

View Full Version : Simple mods that equal real gains?

drainyoo
07-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Hey folks, I'm picking my Abarth up tomorrow, and after I drive her around a bit and get use to her, I'm thinking of doing some mods. I'm new to this community, so I'm still not familiar with all the mods that can be done, and how involved they are. I'm looking for easy mods that I can do that will give me real performance gains. I was looking into installing a cold air intake, but then I saw the installation instructions, and taking off the wheel and removing the skirt is a little too involved for what I'm looking for.

And it's not because I don't have the skills or know-how. I use to own an Audi S4 and it was heavily modded, and quick, but it was also a pain as a daily driver. I'm older now, with kids, so I don't have the time, or the patience, for mods that require a lot of time to install and maintain. That's why I like the idea of simply replacing the stock filter with a higher flowing one. Seems like that gives a noticeable change. Anything else as simple as that that I can do? ECU? Sway bar? Short shifter?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

NGEN
07-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Simple mods: Eurocompulsion V3 intake, Sprint Booster, RRM ECU, Cravenspeed Short Throw Shifter and Neu-F/RRM Rear Sway Bar - huge improvement over stock and not too bad to install.

drainyoo
07-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks! This is what I was looking for. The V3 intake looks perfect. Better tubes and filter, and I get to keep the nice engine cover. What is a Sprint Booster and who makes one? Is this the unit that increased throttle response?

deathshead
07-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Wait for a real odb tune, unless you have to get SOMETHING NOW.
a piggy back box will definitely give you a bump.
check out the "free horsepower mod" in the sticky.
Catless or high flow downpipe.
intake
those are the biggest bang for your buck mods currently available.

FTY
07-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Wait for a real odb tune, unless you have to get SOMETHING NOW.
a piggy back box will definitely give you a bump.
check out the "free horsepower mod" in the sticky.
Catless or high flow downpipe.
intake
those are the biggest bang for your buck mods currently available.

Like Deathshead/Ngen said:

ECU (No clue when OBD FLASH will come)
INTAKE
EXHAUST

Then focus on suspension...

Where on the island are you? We try and get together once in a while.

musicsurf
07-31-2013, 05:34 PM
While I started with freeing up airflow with intake and ported TB, the difference noticed from springs, koni yellows, beefier rear torsion bar, and TWM short shifter is really night and day.

Dwaynek
08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
sprinter booster well worth the install. Takes 5 minutes and throttle response is greatly improved. The motto is you go faster, faster! 500 madness sells or buy online direct from sprint booster.

NORCAL SS
08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
i did the crank pulley on mine also i liked it.

drainyoo
08-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Is the crank pulley easy to install?

What about the Neuspeed Short Shift Adapter? Seems simple. Does it work well?

NORCAL SS
08-01-2013, 01:51 AM
yes at most 20 minutes.

trevc
08-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Yep, SprintBooster first to fix the throttle behaviour, then a V2 or V3 Eurocompulsion intake. Next, RRM or TMC piggy-back ECU.
Suspension next. Add a stiffer rear bar. If sticking with springs, go with Neu-F and the Koni shocks. If you are autocrossing or doing track days, coilovers are a must. BC Racing from Eurocompulsion are by far the best sub-$1k. If you have a larger budget I have heard the new Bilsteins are very good.
A good shifter makes driving more enjoyable - the TWMPerformance unit is by far the best; for a lower budget the Neuspeed gets good reviews.
I could keep going but won't! Once you start modding you won't be able to stop (just look at my signature :burnout:)
Eurocompulsion and RRM are great folks to deal with and will help feed the habit gr_grin
We have so many great vendors now making and selling products; as well as Eurocompulsion and RRM we have Neuspeed, Modern Performance, NGenFiat and TMC Motorsport to name just a few.

NGEN
08-01-2013, 09:41 AM
MPX UDP is a great upgrade as well. I would also recommend the MPX Throttle body.

We can help you with majority of what you are looking for. www.NGenFiat.com

jguerdat
08-02-2013, 08:15 AM
If you are autocrossing or doing track days, coilovers are a must.

Check rules first. Inadvertently changing classes with mods sucks.

drainyoo
08-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the advice, folks. I really appreciate it. I do have some questions:

Any difference between the GoPedal and the Sprint Booster? Is one better or pretty much the same?

Are there any performance differences between the V2 and V3 intakes? I can't imagine how the V2 would be an improvement with the filter sitting right in the engine bay and sucking in all the hot air.

Tweak
08-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice, folks. I really appreciate it. I do have some questions:

Any difference between the GoPedal and the Sprint Booster? Is one better or pretty much the same?

Are there any performance differences between the V2 and V3 intakes? I can't imagine how the V2 would be an improvement with the filter sitting right in the engine bay and sucking in all the hot air.

The difference in the pedals is the goPedal has a lot of adjustment the other does not offer. As for the intakes, the open one will change sound dramatically but I can't speak to the performance between them, knowing intakes offer little in gains of HP though I say pick what you think looks best. ;)

drainyoo
08-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks.

I'm not too concerned with looks, I want to get an intake that gives real performance gains. I see that some companies claim that their intakes give an increase of 10hp with their intakes. Is this the case?

Tweak
08-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Thanks.

I'm not too concerned with looks, I want to get an intake that gives real performance gains. I see that some companies claim that their intakes give an increase of 10hp with their intakes. Is this the case?

Intakes on this car at least offer little gains BUT if claims are to be believed the ATM is said to offer the most in terms of power, the trade off is due to location it is also considered the loudest since the filter sits under the cowl area and the sound transmits through the vent and into the cabin.

NORCAL SS
08-05-2013, 01:22 AM
man i have a nx kit here left over from my other car. I think a 35 shot would make a nice difference!!