PDA

View Full Version : My Abarth has the hiccups

davidjon_99
07-31-2013, 01:17 PM
For the past week or so my Abarth has had what I can only describe as a hiccup after I start it up and drive for several hundred yards to maybe 1/2 mile. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does its when I'm pressing on the throttle. It feels almost like the car has lost throttle signal for just an instant and then gets it back. It causes the car to abruptly pause a moment and then surge. Imagine pressing the throttle, then disconnecting the drive by wire line, then reconnecting it while you continue to press the throttle further down. Scared to crap out of me the first couple of times. It only seems to happen once, then it never happens again until I start the car again. Almost kind of like it is going from closed loop to open loop when it happens because it doesn't happen until the car just gets close to normal operating temperature.

I have both a Sprint Booster and a MM ECU box and suspect one of those could very well be the cause. I plan to do some logging with Torque Pro and will test with the Sprint Booster off the car and the MM off the car.

Just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this. Again, it just happens once then it never happens again until I start the car...after the car sits for a while.

Thanks,

FTY
07-31-2013, 08:11 PM
For the past week or so my Abarth has had what I can only describe as a hiccup after I start it up and drive for several hundred yards to maybe 1/2 mile. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does its when I'm pressing on the throttle. It feels almost like the car has lost throttle signal for just an instant and then gets it back. It causes the car to abruptly pause a moment and then surge. Imagine pressing the throttle, then disconnecting the drive by wire line, then reconnecting it while you continue to press the throttle further down. Scared to crap out of me the first couple of times. It only seems to happen once, then it never happens again until I start the car again. Almost kind of like it is going from closed loop to open loop when it happens because it doesn't happen until the car just gets close to normal operating temperature.

I have both a Sprint Booster and a MM ECU box and suspect one of those could very well be the cause. I plan to do some logging with Torque Pro and will test with the Sprint Booster off the car and the MM off the car.

Just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this. Again, it just happens once then it never happens again until I start the car...after the car sits for a while.

Thanks,

You may want to try a full reset, disconnect battery, let everything evacuate any residual power and reconnect everything back up. If anything I am guessing the sprint booster.

sixhotelbravo
07-31-2013, 08:47 PM
I have a 2013 Sport and it's done that surging thing for the first couple minutes of driving since the day I bought it - a few weeks ago. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's real bad. When I called to order my paper owner's manual, the Fiat person asked about my experience with the car so far and I told her about the surging. She said that it is normal. Maybe not?

davidjon_99
07-31-2013, 09:26 PM
You may want to try a full reset, disconnect battery, let everything evacuate any residual power and reconnect everything back up. If anything I am guessing the sprint booster.

I suspect the Sprint Booster also. Had it on the car for over a year and not a single problem. Kind of weird that it only happens once though. Will be doing a full reset and if it continues I'll remove the Sprint Booster. Then the MM module if it still happens. Kind of a bummer because I get my MPx throttle body from Fed Ex tomorrow.

davidjon_99
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a 2013 Sport and it's done that surging thing for the first couple minutes of driving since the day I bought it - a few weeks ago. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's real bad. When I called to order my paper owner's manual, the Fiat person asked about my experience with the car so far and I told her about the surging. She said that it is normal. Maybe not?

I've not had this problem before about a week or so ago. I can't imagine it being normal.

Tweak
08-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Welcome to the forum.

All sounds like it'd be related to the pedal mod, hope it gets resolve easily!

davidjon_99
08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Well, the plot thickens. I drove the car today for the first time this week and it was behaving kind of wierd. Right after I started it the RPMs would surge a bit and then go back down to normal. After it warmed up and during my 8 mile drive everything was fine. Then, when I started it to go home after work the engine did the same thing then died. Then the CEL came on. I had my OBD device in and read the code from Torque. P0069 Manafold absolute Pressure-Berometric Pressure Correlation. Did a quick search here and the only other post I've seen talked about the MM ECU module. The person replaced it with a TMC unit and the code went away.

So, looks like I'll be taking off the MM module tonight to see if it clears things up. Assuming that's it does anyone know the warranty on those? Mine is just under a year old.

davidjon_99
08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Unplugged battery for over ten minutes and ran the car around a couple of miles and got the same CEL code. Removed the MM ECU module and it cleared up. So, now I will have to see what kind of warranty the MM module has and whether mine is still covered. If it is not, I will either be buying the RRM module or might wait to see what RRM is coming out.

Kurumi
08-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Did you update the firmware on the MM?

davidjon_99
08-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Did you update the firmware on the MM?

Excellent question. I have the latest firmware in both the MM module and the car's PCM.

SilverBane
08-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I wonder if this is the reason mopar has not released the mm tune as a factory option yet. Perhaps there are still some minor bugs being found...

trevc
08-03-2013, 12:28 PM
The loopback plug that comes with the TMC box makes taking it out a 5 minute job - very nice feature.

Fiat500USA
08-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Well, the plot thickens. I drove the car today for the first time this week and it was behaving kind of wierd. Right after I started it the RPMs would surge a bit and then go back down to normal. After it warmed up and during my 8 mile drive everything was fine. Then, when I started it to go home after work the engine did the same thing then died. Then the CEL came on. I had my OBD device in and read the code from Torque. P0069 Manafold absolute Pressure-Berometric Pressure Correlation. Did a quick search here and the only other post I've seen talked about the MM ECU module. The person replaced it with a TMC unit and the code went away.

So, looks like I'll be taking off the MM module tonight to see if it clears things up. Assuming that's it does anyone know the warranty on those? Mine is just under a year old.

Some info:

P0069-MANIFOLD PRESSURE/BAROMETRIC PRESSURE CORRELATION

When Monitored:
Ignition on and during engine cranking with no Manifold Absolute Pressure
(MAP) Sensor or Barometric Pressure Sensor electrical failures present.
Set Condition:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) performs the following rationality tests
to check the Manifold Air Pressure Sensor and Barometric Pressure Sensor: At PCM
power-up, the manifold pressure is compared with barometric pressure. If the two
do not correlate and it cannot be determined which sensor is faulty, then this
code is reported. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the
MIL.

Possible Causes

MAP
SENSOR

BAROMETRIC
SENSOR

POWERTRAIN
CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

davidjon_99
08-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Some info:

P0069-MANIFOLD PRESSURE/BAROMETRIC PRESSURE CORRELATION

When Monitored:
Ignition on and during engine cranking with no Manifold Absolute Pressure
(MAP) Sensor or Barometric Pressure Sensor electrical failures present.
Set Condition:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) performs the following rationality tests
to check the Manifold Air Pressure Sensor and Barometric Pressure Sensor: At PCM
power-up, the manifold pressure is compared with barometric pressure. If the two
do not correlate and it cannot be determined which sensor is faulty, then this
code is reported. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the
MIL.

Possible Causes

MAP
SENSOR

BAROMETRIC
SENSOR

POWERTRAIN
CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Excellent info. Thanks!

davidjon_99
08-03-2013, 02:43 PM
The loopback plug that comes with the TMC box makes taking it out a 5 minute job - very nice feature.

I think that is a fantastic feature.

Tweak
08-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Unplugged battery for over ten minutes and ran the car around a couple of miles and got the same CEL code. Removed the MM ECU module and it cleared up. So, now I will have to see what kind of warranty the MM module has and whether mine is still covered. If it is not, I will either be buying the RRM module or might wait to see what RRM is coming out.

I spoke to Rob on the cell a little bit ago...trust me when I say ditch the MM and hold on for a bit for some new things to come over the coming months. :cool:

I wonder if this is the reason mopar has not released the mm tune as a factory option yet. Perhaps there are still some minor bugs being found...

Welcome to the forum.

5 minutes...with the TMC dead plug (as I call it) I think it is about a 15 second job, maybe less. ;)

Kurumi
08-03-2013, 10:52 PM
I spoke to Rob on the cell a little bit ago...trust me when I say ditch the MM and hold on for a bit for some new things to come over the coming months. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.

5 minutes...with the TMC dead plug (as I call it) I think it is about a 15 second job, maybe less. ;)
My MM box works fine but man, seeing what RR has coming up makes me want to ditch my tune.

Tweak
08-03-2013, 10:58 PM
My MM box works fine but man, seeing what RR has coming up makes me want to ditch my tune.

Your $ but I'd say sale the MM while it has a bit more value and hold for the new RRM goodies...unless you want a deal on a RRM box, then let me know (on the cell, not here on the forum) and I can hook you up unless someone else jumps on it first. ;)

Kurumi
08-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Your $ but I'd say sale the MM while it has a bit more value and hold for the new RRM goodies...unless you want a deal on a RRM box, then let me know (on the cell, not here on the forum) and I can hook you up unless someone else jumps on it first. ;)

Curse you for tempting me. Does the wiring harness work from the MM unit to the RR?

davidjon_99
08-04-2013, 09:51 AM

Tempting, but I've been in the IT field too long to 1) put a lot of hope in what a vendor is actually going to release when they say so little about what they are doing, 2) get anxious about installing a new product before its been tested in multiple environements (i.e. I don't want to be a beta tester when paying full price for something) and 3) chase after the latest greatest thing (e.g. smart phone, tablet, etc.). To each their own. I've already got a ECU module that I've been happy with. It does what I want it to. I am a bit upset that it is having problems and would consider replacing it with the existing RRM module if push comes to shove.

The guys at 500 Madness got back with me and I am sending the MM module in for them to test. We'll see what the results are of the testing. I am confident 500 Madness will take care of me.

Tweak
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
^^^ In reference to IT I completely agree but once you see some more info I think you might like what you see and enjoy the change (even if a little later once it's been out awhile).

BigDaddySRT
08-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Nope... The Environmental Protection Agency is the reason why there aren't any MOPAR Performance PCMs available.

BigT
08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Nope... The Environmental Protection Agency is the reason why there aren't any MOPAR Performance PCMs available.

Why should the EPA have a say in if the car has a performance tuned PCM or not? Does not compute unless the EPA is saying the performance PCMs are somehow increasing emissions and then I could see that being a valid point.

jguerdat
08-05-2013, 11:12 AM
There are also factory upgrades for the likes of the Solstice/Redline and our Volvo C30 which don't affect emissions or mileage. Whether that would be true for a piggyback is unknown but Chrysler/Fiat could get them certified or just sell them as off-road parts.

davidjon_99
09-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Got my MM ECU piggyback module back from 500 Madness. I was out of town for a week so I asked them to not deliver it until I got back. So, everything was a bit delayed. As they say, you never know how much you miss something until it's gone. But I never knew how much I really missed the module until I installed it and did a test drive this morning. The car really screams.

Joseph at 500 Madness was very helpful and said they re-set the module. Not sure exactly what that means. Maybe they cleared it and re-loaded the firmware. I asked if that was something I could do at home using their software. He told me they had to do it there. After a short test drive this morning I'm not getting the CE code. Time will only tell. If it pops up again a repalcement module will be needed.

I'll update this thread if I run into the issue again.

bluetwo
09-21-2013, 02:10 PM
So... no one cry foul, but Dart guy here. Anyway, I have the Sprint Booster pedal mod and it's been nothing but perfect for me since day one.

I know our engines have their differences but I recommend this pedal. All I get are the sweet sounding burps and burbles from the exhaust (after I did the resonator and muffler delete).