PDA

View Full Version : Factory Abarth mid pipe

b56.1m6
07-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Does anyone have a photo of the factory midpipe? Is the factory pipe stainless? There has been much discussion about mid pipes and some systems come with a new one like the MM Bombardone. The MM one is two inches at the connection to the downpipe but it increases to 2 and a quarter and I believe the rest of the system is also two and a quarter. I have been hearing that changing out the front pipe gains nothing this way so changing the rear t-pipe to an improved y design is the best bang for your buck. We can use the Euro speck Bombardone with the TMC intermediate pipe but I have not seen this conversion pipe, has anyone here done this? I like the MM Bombardone tips and Y pipe but the US system is 1100 dollars and changing the whole system to get them is expensive and maybe a waste. Anyone been through this?

deathshead
07-31-2013, 03:09 PM
The stock midpipe gets choked down from around 2.5" to 1.75" at the bend I believe...
- Its stainless like the rest of the system.

Exhaust Depo Will be working with Tweak soon (crossed fingers!) to prototype a new high flow midpipe and rest of the exhaust.

I havent had any direct experience with Exhaust depo at all, but many people rave about the quality for some obscenely sensible pricing.

In the end, a piece of stainless pipe is a piece of stainless pipe.
As long as its a good spec stainless welded correctly with no bottle necks. its a win-win situation..

Tweak
08-01-2013, 12:43 AM
The stock midpipe gets choked down from around 2.5" to 1.75" at the bend I believe...
- Its stainless like the rest of the system.

Exhaust Depo Will be working with Tweak soon (crossed fingers!) to prototype a new high flow midpipe and rest of the exhaust.

I havent had any direct experience with Exhaust depo at all, but many people rave about the quality for some obscenely sensible pricing.

In the end, a piece of stainless pipe is a piece of stainless pipe.
As long as its a good spec stainless welded correctly with no bottle necks. its a win-win situation..

Currently waiting for Ollie, I sent him an email and called and left a message with his voice mail of his cell, not heard back yet so hopefully soon!

NORCAL SS
08-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Ok wait. Downpipe oem exit is it 2.25 inches??? then exhaust is 2.25 from downpipe back then goes into 1.75 then back to 2.25 where it goes to axle back?? or is it 2.5 at downpipe flange back??

I was thinking of just going with a 2.5 inch from the downpipe back to the 2.25 where it goes to the axle back section. 3 inch from downpipe all the way back i think will hurt performance I mean its a 1.4 liter motor. Im used do doing single 3 inch exhaust on the trucks and thats for 450 rwhp on a big v8.

deathshead
08-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Ok wait. Downpipe oem exit is it 2.25 inches??? then exhaust is 2.25 from downpipe back then goes into 1.75 then back to 2.25 where it goes to axle back?? or is it 2.5 at downpipe flange back??

I was thinking of just going with a 2.5 inch from the downpipe back to the 2.25 where it goes to the axle back section. 3 inch from downpipe all the way back i think will hurt performance I mean its a 1.4 liter motor. Im used do doing single 3 inch exhaust on the trucks and thats for 450 rwhp on a big v8.

Exactly, While 3" wont hurt, 2.5" is all your ever going to need unless your going to run a HUGE turbo in the well over 350-400hp..

heres a good article,
http://www.koracing.net/viewarticle.php?article=7

b56.1m6
08-01-2013, 12:55 PM
From a 2012 thread AbartCDN did it looks like the MM Bombardone system has a 2 inch pipe flange connection at the downpipe. The pipe on that flange appears to be 2 inch outside diameter at the flange then it increases in size to 2 1/2 inches at the flex joint. From the flex joint back the rest of the system looks to be a uniform 2 1/2 inches. From what you are all saying the factory mid pipe is inconsistent and it has some poor bends that are really inefficient for flow. Is the actual opening at the bottom of the downpipe 2 1/2 inches? I am curious why MM would reduce the pipe/flange size at this connection.

opiateESP
08-01-2013, 01:57 PM

I've posted this before. This is the diameter of the pipe before the flex but after the downpipe flange (1.927"). The internal diameter is going to be approximately 1.8

NORCAL SS
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
thank you. Im working with joseph from 500madness for a 2.5 exit on downpipe and then 2.5 flange and i will do my own 2.5 downpipe back set up