PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the White Interior Spiffy

goforjamie
07-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Been chatting with a 500e Community member on Google+ about whether to go with black or white interior, mostly over concerns of the white getting ugly from normal wear & tear.

So what do you think? What will you do to keep your white leatherette interior spiffy? :soap:

She found a couple products that look really promising:

Boat Master Sky Care Kit (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/boat-master-sky-care-kit.html), making the point that lots of boats have white leatherette in them.
A post from a detailing forum about products to use on BMW leatherette (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/interior-detailing/34179-whats-best-way-care-bmw-leatherette.html).

I'm picking up my "Penguincento" tomorrow!!! Can't wait!!
(black ext with white highlights & white int).

Andree
07-30-2013, 04:57 AM
I thought I'd wait to see if someone else would come into this thread, before I butted in. LOL.

I used to have a white (with black stripes) cloth and vinyl upholstery in my old VW Cabriolet. You can see a picture of the interior by going here:
http://www.cabby-info.com/interiors.htm#White

And clicking on the camera icon below "Code 29" sport bucket seats.

The cloth part was black and white threads woven together, and then the black stripes.

I bought the car used, maybe six years old. And kept the car another 15 years. In all that time, the ONLY stain I got was on one of the back seats, when I'd stupidly tossed a wet something-or-other that was black, on the fabric seat. The color bled. Big black stain.

Other than that, the interior was in good shape. The left edge side of the seat cushion that is vinyl I had replaced once, and it needed it again later. That's where you're rubbing your butt getting in and out. Mind you, it takes many getting ins and outs as well as baking in hot inland sun for 10-20 years for it to crack. The non-rubbed side of the driver's seat and the passenger seat did not crack or need replacing.

To clean I'd use something like mild soapy water on the vinyl. Being a convertible, it got a lot more dust and grit that closed cars would. Never used seat covers. Vacuumed up nicely. I think I had some kind of spray spot cleaner, think it was Blue Coral (?), but that was over 20 years ago.

I don't remember using any fabric protector to help protect against spills. I do remember the time when I had a soda can explode open on the passenger floor after it rolled back and hit something sharp. Diet cola everywhere. Everything cleaned up nicely. Even with all that white.

It's not as scary as you might think to have a white interior.

Couple of things I did, was to keep a towel or two handy, or a throw blanket. Just in case. Gives you something to sit on if you are wet or dirty or something to mop up a spill. I sat in that white seat many a time in my rain drenched raincoat and any dirt picked up from leaning or bumping against something in the rain that is dirty comes out fine. It's usually just wet grit, that will dry and vacuum out easily.

Very excited to hear you're picking up your "Penguincento" and I think that is the cutest name ever. The black with white reminded me of Tuxedo cats.

Edit: If all else fails, hit the VW forums, they've had oodles of white combinations for like 30 years.

Andree
07-31-2013, 02:24 AM
Popping in to see if you have your car yet.

goforjamie
08-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey Andree,

YES! Got it on Tuesday & totally enthralled. Loving it. The quiet, the smooth acceleration with punch when I need it. The sound system, the app. It's great. I opted for some dealer offered stuff with a warranty called Xzilon for $349. Hope I didn't get ripped, but they're treating it on Thursday & giving me a loaner car for free, which is nice.

Jamie
Moderator of the 500e Community on Google+

cmj912
08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/28919-does-anyone-have-experience-xzilon.html

I noticed an advertisement for Xzilon when I was in for service. Just a thread you might want to check out. Autogeek is great for product reviews.