PDA

View Full Version : Just to put the Abarth's performance into perspective.

deathshead
07-29-2013, 08:49 AM
So, a buddy of mine picked up a Mazdaspeed 6 and I saw him on the ride to work this morning.

The Mazdaspeed 6 is no slouch of a car!, I was very surprised that he couldn't lose me off his back bumper :) He tried but couldn't get away.

From a dig perhaps a different story.

Im guessing the 3600lb weight of the Mazdaspeed 6 is its biggest enemy.

NORCAL SS
07-29-2013, 09:25 AM
i got pulled on pretty darn hard when my wife raced me in my escalade when i was stock. esky went 14.5@97 on 24 inch wheels all motor. I now have a 125 shot on it and dont dare try to race the abarth will be bus lengths lol 6000 pounds plus lol

FTY
07-29-2013, 03:43 PM
These little cars do pretty good, its a car that annoys the big boys. I'm happy with that.

deathshead
07-29-2013, 04:29 PM
These little cars do pretty good, its a car that annoys the big boys. I'm happy with that.

The goddam stock tune tho, it makes the car feel like a temperamental women.

FTY
07-29-2013, 04:30 PM
The goddam stock tune tho, it makes the car feel like a temperamental women.

Yes..agreed 100%..you need to caress the gas pedal.

dart1.4t
08-10-2013, 01:54 PM
hate to resorect a dead thread, but i just had some fun with an abarth in my dart! i did surprisingly well with my heavy american car. at the first light i got a pretty good holeshot and left him, at the second light i was just trying to compliment his car but he signaled to race again and i noticed the light was already green i lugged the engine and he left me. with an 800lb disadvantage there was no catching up and it was clear that he was pulling away. but it was fun and i was surprised that he didn't pull away faster. i guess the extra torque in the dart count for something but i was jealous about those backfires!! the dart barely pops at all.

Abarth Five O
08-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Trade the dart in and get an Abarth. Guaranteed more fun!

DIVSAbarth500
08-10-2013, 04:45 PM
i did surprisingly well with my heavy american car.

Your heavy american car isn't very american lol.

Seriously though, these cars can haul especially when modified. However, stock with the sport button off, they suck lol. I still love it though.

dart1.4t
08-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Trade the dart in and get an Abarth. Guaranteed more fun!

well i sat in one and while i have head room i have really wide sholders. felt a lot like my x1/9 as far as space went. well maybe not that bad but it does feel cramped, like the door is right in my personal space. believe me i thought about it. but i was looking for a commuter. i have another car that was fast, if i ever restore it it will be way faster. i love fiats but it just doesn't seem practical, i don't feel so bad about driving a dart in the snow, but a 500, well i'd probably want to keep it parked in the winter. maybe if i get a better job, i'll think about an extra car.

anyway i guess the abarth wasn't in sport mode for the first run... second run i really had no chance. it was all for fun and the dart is not a fast car by any means.

dart1.4t
08-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Your heavy american car isn't very american lol.

Seriously though, these cars can haul especially when modified. However, stock with the sport button off, they suck lol. I still love it though.

ehh, it's american enough. it's 500lb heavier than a guilietta and the electronics are all dodge. they even changed the CAN protocol for the DDCT cars entirely so it communicates on the same pins as the dodge modules. they don't even use the same obd2 pins as the alfa for the other modules. the only fiat/alfa parts are the suspension, sub frame, trans and engine, basically the stuff that makes it go, but the seating and body panels are all new it may have italian parts but it's no alfa. the chassis is similar but longer and maybe wider. the interior is all dodge except for the shift knob, even the shifter mech is different to make the manual shift badly like an american car!

Abarth Five O
08-10-2013, 10:24 PM
You must be a big dude. A few tuners however have ventured installing custom aftermarket seats: Sabelt and Bride which would give you more headroom (as you will sit lower) and maybe a little more shoulder room because you would be lowered. However, tricking the AB sensors will be a key mod for them. Or, future ABarth models might come with bigger and roomier seats as an option?

musicsurf
08-10-2013, 10:48 PM
well i sat in one and while i have head room i have really wide sholders. felt a lot like my x1/9 as far as space went. well maybe not that bad but it does feel cramped, like the door is right in my personal space. believe me i thought about it. but i was looking for a commuter. i have another car that was fast, if i ever restore it it will be way faster. i love fiats but it just doesn't seem practical, i don't feel so bad about driving a dart in the snow, but a 500, well i'd probably want to keep it parked in the winter. maybe if i get a better job, i'll think about an extra car.

anyway i guess the abarth wasn't in sport mode for the first run... second run i really had no chance. it was all for fun and the dart is not a fast car by any means.

Yeah, you must be a big dude. I'm 6'3" 215lbs and carry a lot of that in my upper body with broad shoulders and the Abarth seats fit me like a glove.

dart1.4t
08-10-2013, 10:54 PM
You must be a big dude. A few tuners however have ventured installing custom aftermarket seats: Sabelt and Bride which would give you more headroom (as you will sit lower) and maybe a little more shoulder room because you would be lowered. However, tricking the AB sensors will be key mod for them. Or, future ABarth models might come with bigger and roomier seats as an option?

i'm not tall but at 5'10" 230lb i have some width. i have always had ridiculously wide shoulders so i carry it well. most people wouldn't guess i was over 200 because it's hard to judge how wide my shoulders are because i don't stand with good posture, it makes me feel funny and honestly doing it in the mirror i can tell you it looks wrong. i do have a big waist but if i relax my arms the elbows don't meet my sides. so i don't look too imposing because i'm a relaxed easygoing guy (except on certain forums) but i do take up a lot of space in a car. i don't know what was more ridiculous about my x1/9, the amount of space i took up, or the fact my 2 best freinds were both 6'4" and they needed the top off to ride in it!

don't get me wrong i can get in the car just fine. i've also had the chance to sit in some older ferarris and i'm pretty agile. but an abarth just isn't for me as an every day car. more of a weekend car and i don't have the cash for one of those right now...

NORCAL SS
08-10-2013, 10:55 PM
TOnights rematch lol

my escalade with 5 people in it with the new edelbrock 2300 blower at 10psi vs my abarth... escalade won by 9 truck lengths I cant wait to take it back to the track. IM hoping runs high 12s

Abarth Five O
08-10-2013, 11:17 PM
i'm not tall but at 5'10" 230lb i have some width. i have always had ridiculously wide shoulders so i carry it well. most people wouldn't guess i was over 200 because it's hard to judge how wide my shoulders are because i don't stand with good posture, it makes me feel funny and honestly doing it in the mirror i can tell you it looks wrong. i do have a big waist but if i relax my arms the elbows don't meet my sides. so i don't look too imposing because i'm a relaxed easygoing guy (except on certain forums) but i do take up a lot of space in a car. i don't know what was more ridiculous about my x1/9, the amount of space i took up, or the fact my 2 best freinds were both 6'4" and they needed the top off to ride in it!

don't get me wrong i can get in the car just fine. i've also had the chance to sit in some older ferarris and i'm pretty agile. but an abarth just isn't for me as an every day car. more of a weekend car and i don't have the cash for one of those right now...

You're built like my son, but he loves to drive my Abarth as it has the cool factor. A Sunday driver would be a good idea if you come across some extra $$.