PDA

View Full Version : FMIC Questions

davidjon_99
07-29-2013, 08:18 AM
I am really interested in installing a front mounted intercooler, but have some questions about how it might effect engine cooling and A/C. I'm concerned about it sitting in front of the radiator and the A/C condenser coil and whether the FMIC would reduce the effectiveness of those. Anyone have any insight? If I do install one it will probably be the Forge FMIC.

Thanks!

WegoFaster@Ambient Thermal Management
07-29-2013, 09:51 AM
There was no raise in engine coolant temps. If anything the temps would go down due to cooler cylinder temps. Read all about our tests here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10576-ATM-FMIC-Group-buy-and-Data-Information-Thread

Abarth Five O
07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm also interested in installing a FMIC. Have not heard of any issues from manufacturers or members who have them relative to the radiator or a/c. Forge is nice. ATM has a nice one too. R/R will also be coming out w/ their version shortly. Nice selection to choose from.

dart1.4t
07-29-2013, 12:03 PM
I am really interested in installing a front mounted intercooler, but have some questions about how it might effect engine cooling and A/C. I'm concerned about it sitting in front of the radiator and the A/C condenser coil and whether the FMIC would reduce the effectiveness of those. Anyone have any insight? If I do install one it will probably be the Forge FMIC.

Thanks!

the turbo makes the most heat at high boost when the a/c is off anyway and there is a lot of air flow. the btu's under normal loads coming from the turbo aren't enough to really have a large effect since that has to do with how much air it's cooing as well as how much pressure increase and efficiency, both the mass flow and boost aren't too high when you just drive around with the a/c on so the btu's are somewhat low. even while racing if the boost is more or less stock then it's still disipating btu's before it gets to the engine so the engine has less to dissipate. the real difference would be if you significantly increase engine output or run the turbo where it isn't efficient. but again thats also when you have the most air flow since you'll be going fast. there may be some difference in engine cooling but these days they give that a lot of head room.

Jjm4life
07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
my ATM intercooler has been great through a very hot/humid boston summer. my car spends most of its time in city traffic with 1-2nd gear pulls. no heat soak issues at all. had several other forced induction cars that didnt fair nearly as well. my lotus for instance was truly awful to drive once it was heat soaked

DS Ocampo
07-29-2013, 05:57 PM
The forge FMIC. Has also been great ... In AZ summer hear hitting 120 with ground temps around 230 in traffic it did great ... No issues here ...

davidjon_99
07-29-2013, 06:12 PM
the turbo makes the most heat at high boost when the a/c is off anyway and there is a lot of air flow. the btu's under normal loads coming from the turbo aren't enough to really have a large effect since that has to do with how much air it's cooing as well as how much pressure increase and efficiency, both the mass flow and boost aren't too high when you just drive around with the a/c on so the btu's are somewhat low. even while racing if the boost is more or less stock then it's still disipating btu's before it gets to the engine so the engine has less to dissipate. the real difference would be if you significantly increase engine output or run the turbo where it isn't efficient. but again thats also when you have the most air flow since you'll be going fast. there may be some difference in engine cooling but these days they give that a lot of head room.

Thanks,

I was mostly concerend with it blocking airflow from getting to the condenser and radiator. Sounds like others don't see that.

davidjon_99
07-29-2013, 06:15 PM
The forge FMIC. Has also been great ... In AZ summer hear hitting 120 with ground temps around 230 in traffic it did great ... No issues here ...

I saw your review of the Forge FMIC on 500 Madness and was going to pm you with my question. Thanks for the reply.