PDA

View Full Version : Soon To Be New Owner

drainyoo
07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Hi folks, just joined the site and I wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions. I have a deposit on a 2013 Abarth that I will hopefully pick up this week. The tuning bug has bit me again. Back in 2001 I had an Audi S4 that I tuned into a beast. Got married, had to get a more practical car for the kids, but now that the kids are older I can enjoy a fun car. I'm really looking forward to the 500. It seems like a great little car.

I do have some questions about the car in general and on tuning it:

Any tips that I should know that will make my driving experience better?

I read that before putting the car into reverse, you need to shift into a gear. Is this because reverse will grind if you try to go into it from neutral?

With my Audi S4 I always let the car idle for 5 minutes after driving it to let the turbos cool down. I assume that this needs to be done with the Abarth as well?

What tuning upgrades can I do to get real/proven performance improvements? I'm not interested in looks or cool sounds. For example, does a cold air intake really increase power, or will simply changing the filter to a higher flowing one be better?

Which companies are trusted/reliable when it comes to performance/tuning parts?

Thanks!

Kurumi
07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Modern turbo cars don't need super long cool down times but it doesn't hurt. I usually leave my car running about 30 seconds on a normal commute run. That's about the time it takes me to get whatever I need in my hands before I exit the car.

There are a ton of tuning options (all bolt-ons ATM). Take a look at some of the other folk's build threads to get an idea on what you might want to do to your. Also, if you are close by, most of us are always happy to meet up with others in real life and just hang out.

Robert Nixon
07-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Congrats, I think you're going to love the Abarth.

Best advice I think is to read the manual regarding Reverse. In the 2012 Abarth user guide it only says

"MANUAL TRANSMISSION
• Never shift into REVERSE until the vehicle has come to a complete stop.

Just don't slam it into reverse and you will be OK.

You don't have to idle before shut off too cool it down, there is a fan or oil pump that will continue to run after you turn it off.

ReconTopher
07-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Yes the reverse will grind and when you buy the car it has a little flyer that explains it as well.

As far as performance, there are tons of threads with dyno charts, etc. Any of the vendors in the vendor forum should be good.
With joining any forum, always good to read through everything and utilize the search to find the threads you want.

There are a few different intake options, filters, ecu piggy backs, throttle & exhaust mods, "free horespower mod" yes, I typed "hores" :)
All sorts of stuff, I'd also recommend you read all the threads with complaints about the car too to be familiar with possible issues.

Probably my best recommendation is, to go slow with your mods and make sure it is what you want. From what I've noticed, there are a lot of upgraded parts being taken off and sold, upgraded, etc. If you know exactly what you want, you can sit back and wait for someone to sell it for whatever reason and get a good deal.

Tweak
07-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the forum and pre-congrats. Seems a lot has been stated already but I'd suggest getting an ECU tuner such as the TMC unit or the modified TMC unit from Road Race Motorsports as it seems a very popular choice and also a pedal mod such as the 500Madness goPedal would be excellent starting mods, also your choice of suspension improvements would be a good idea. RRM just released Bilsteins and Eurocompulsion has a great offering with their BC coil-overs as well. So much you can do with the mods, stick around here awhile and you'll learn a lot. :cool:

Andree
07-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Yes the reverse will grind and when you buy the car it has a little flyer that explains it as well.

As far as performance, there are tons of threads with dyno charts, etc. Any of the vendors in the vendor forum should be good.
With joining any forum, always good to read through everything and utilize the search to find the threads you want.

There are a few different intake options, filters, ecu piggy backs, throttle & exhaust mods, "free horespower mod" yes, I typed "hores" :)
All sorts of stuff, I'd also recommend you read all the threads with complaints about the car too to be familiar with possible issues.

Probably my best recommendation is, to go slow with your mods and make sure it is what you want. From what I've noticed, there are a lot of upgraded parts being taken off and sold, upgraded, etc. If you know exactly what you want, you can sit back and wait for someone to sell it for whatever reason and get a good deal.

That's good advice!

And I'd add: Consider not changing anything at all until you are thoroughly familiar with the car. How will you know if it's made a difference if you don't know how the car usually performs?

djhace
07-29-2013, 01:23 PM
there's plenty of drivers here who had way more HP on the cars before but thinks the abarth is more fun.
by the way where are you located?

drainyoo
07-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for all the great info and welcomes. I will definitely take it slow and enjoy the car before I do anything to it, and I most likely will end up just tinting the windows and dropping in a BMC filter and be done with it. But I wanted to get an idea of what's out there. Seems like there's a really great community here, with very little drama and judging. Looking forward to being a part of it. I'm picking up my Abarth on Thursday and I can't wait. I will post a pic once I get it.

@djhace I'm located in Long Island, NY.

drainyoo
08-02-2013, 11:09 AM

I picked her up yesterday and I'm loving this car already. Definitely the most fun I've ever had in a car. Amazing little thing.

hownowcb
08-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Welcome, and happy driving! "Fun" is definitely the operative word. There are plenty of cars out there that can top the Abarth in many categories, but most definitely no other car provides so many smiles!

ABARTH TAMER
08-02-2013, 12:13 PM

I picked her up yesterday and I'm loving this car already. Definitely the most fun I've ever had in a car. Amazing little thing.

+1 Had my mine 6 days, So far most fun car I've owned.

So far this '13 does not have the rattles and squeaks that my wifes '12 Pop has/had. Our friends South of the border may be getting better.

Been at the dealer for 3 day to fix, w/ new armrest and frame on the '12 Pop. Will have to test hot and cold to temps to see if the Demons have been excised.

Give the Dealer Bob Baker A for effort, these thing are tough to track down. They gave us a new Wrangler while they worked for 3 days.

drainyoo
08-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Trying to contain myself until the car hits 300 miles is hard to do.

Tweak
08-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Trying to contain myself until the car hits 300 miles is hard to do.

Indeed it is, but at 301 you will break your face smiling...lol. :D

drainyoo
08-07-2013, 12:06 PM
50 miles left! Ahhhhh!

deathshead
08-07-2013, 01:49 PM
50 miles left! Ahhhhh!

300 miles, PFFFT!
hit the sport button, hold down the ESC button until it beeps and dont shift until you almost hit the limiter. :)

drainyoo
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Hahah! I'm dying to. Trying to give the car a small break before I beat the hell out of it. Once it ticks to 300, it's ova!

On a side note, I know that holding down the ESC button disables it completely, but is this a good idea? Is the car difficult to control?

Tweak
08-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Hahah! I'm dying to. Trying to give the car a small break before I beat the hell out of it. Once it ticks to 300, it's ova!

On a side note, I know that holding down the ESC button disables it completely, but is this a good idea? Is the car difficult to control?

Wheels just spin easier is what I notice. I made it to 301 and then I was on it hardcore!

drainyoo
08-07-2013, 11:45 PM
10 more.

Fiat500USA
08-08-2013, 12:56 AM
With my Audi S4 I always let the car idle for 5 minutes after driving it to let the turbos cool down. I assume that this needs to be done with the Abarth as well?

Thanks!

Congratulations on your car! There is an coolant afterun pump that helps cool off the turbo. Here is how it works: Fiat 500 Abarth After-Run Coolant Pump (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/04/fiat-500-abarth-after-run-coolant-pump.html)

I usually let the car idle down somewhat or take it easy driving before I turn it off. If you turn the car off immediately, you'll generally hear the after-run pump, however if you let it idle down for a bit, it may not come on if the temperature falls below the turn-on threshold.

Tweak
08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
10 more.

Longest 10 miles eva! :D

Every time I see your avatar I think it a post of my own...lol.

drainyoo
08-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Congratulations on your car! There is an coolant afterun pump that helps cool off the turbo. Here is how it works: Fiat 500 Abarth After-Run Coolant Pump (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/04/fiat-500-abarth-after-run-coolant-pump.html)

I usually let the car idle down somewhat or take it easy driving before I turn it off. If you turn the car off immediately, you'll generally hear the after-run pump, however if you let it idle down for a bit, it may not come on if the temperature falls below the turn-on threshold.

Thanks! I've noticed the same thing with the fan. I'm use to driving easy and letting it idle before I turn off the car.

drainyoo
08-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Longest 10 miles eva! :D

Every time I see your avatar I think it a post of my own...lol.

Tell me about!

I changed my avatar. I think we were using the exact same image.

Tweak
08-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Tell me about!

I changed my avatar. I think we were using the exact same image.

I was using a LARGE hi res image that I scaled down, they did look so close to the same. You could have left it, no worries, just had me doing a double take and when I read it I couldn't recall typing what I was reading...lol. :D

drainyoo
08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I was using a LARGE hi res image that I scaled down, they did look so close to the same. You could have left it, no worries, just had me doing a double take and when I read it I couldn't recall typing what I was reading...lol. :D

It's fine, I like the black one. :)

I finally hit the 300 mark and punched it. This little car is nasty. Still can't believe the power that comes out of that little engine. What an amazing ride.

Tweak
08-09-2013, 11:35 AM
It's fine, I like the black one. :)

I finally hit the 300 mark and punched it. This little car is nasty. Still can't believe the power that comes out of that little engine. What an amazing ride.

Add an ECU mod and pedal mod of your choice and it is twice as crazy! :D I have a TMC and goPedal and it is ridiculously fun.

drainyoo
08-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Add an ECU mod and pedal mod of your choice and it is twice as crazy! :D I have a TMC and goPedal and it is ridiculously fun.

I'm planning to do that next along with an intake and rear sway bar.

Tweak
08-09-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm planning to do that next along with an intake and rear sway bar.

ECU and/or pedal mod...these have to be the most noticeable mod you can make!