PDA

View Full Version : New York Times today reviewed the 500L, it's not good news for Fiat

Robert Nixon
07-28-2013, 09:10 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/automobiles/autoreviews/problem-child-of-a-shotgun-union.html

The reviewer did point out that it's larger than the regular 500, but the rest of his opinions were not kind to Fiat.

500ways
07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
The writer is clearly biased. I would describe him as underexposed as well.

ReconTopher
07-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Any time a writer throws in cutesy comparisons, I tune out. Plus the ouija board, slacker than a coachella stoner and the UPS truck beat him off the line? Really? I highly doubt it.

NGEN
07-28-2013, 11:07 PM
It's going to happen. There are people out there that just don't like fiat. This guy is one of them. Unfortunately, he is also a writer for the ny times. However, we have to focus on all the positive reviews the L has received (there have been many). Who knows, maybe this guy has back problems making the seats uncomfortable or dislikes anything from Italy (or Serbia). Maybe he doesn't fit in the seat because of his size. You just never know. I like the L and so do a lot of people. That's all that really matters.

Fiat500USA
07-28-2013, 11:11 PM
The writer is clearly biased. I would describe him as underexposed as well.

Well put. The seatbacks end in the middle of his shoulder blades? Evidently, he is beyond average height and should mention that in his post to be fair. But I think it is obvious that wasn't on his mind. Oh well, he can keep his Juke.

He seriously thinks we have better cars here. :wtf:*

*sorry, I always wanted to use that smiley and was in the mood!

500ways
07-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Well put. The seatbacks end in the middle of his shoulder blades? Evidently, he is beyond average height and should mention that in his post to be fair. But I think it is obvious that wasn't on his mind. Oh well, he can keep his Juke.

He seriously thinks we have better cars here. :wtf:*

*sorry, I always wanted to use that smiley and was in the mood!

No need to apologize. The writer of the article is an idiot. That's right - I said it.

Fiat500USA
07-28-2013, 11:23 PM
No need to apologize. The writer of the article is an idiot. That's right - I said it.
:lol:

ReconTopher
07-28-2013, 11:33 PM
I noticed when he also said "everyone" that sits in the car didn't like the seats. Really, everyone? And everyone consists of exactly who?

Fiat500USA
07-28-2013, 11:36 PM
I noticed when he also said "everyone" that sits in the car didn't like the seats. Really, everyone? And everyone consists of exactly who?

He and his ego.

Seafarer61
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
As a long-since retired journalist, it is embarrassing to see UPS written as U.P.S. and left unedited.

Writer?

Andree
07-29-2013, 02:59 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/automobiles/autoreviews/problem-child-of-a-shotgun-union.html

The reviewer did point out that it's larger than the regular 500, but the rest of his opinions were not kind to Fiat.

Well, then, let's see what he does like:
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/u/lawrence_ulrich/index.html

I think he likes the Rolls Royce Wraith, but I didn't get to read the article thanks to the NYTimes paywall after ten articles. He also might like the Aston Martin Vanquish. Just from reading through the titles and first few words of his review.

There are other cars he may like or not like. And his reviews are not necessarily anything more than his own personal taste. What isn't comfortable for him may be just fine and dandy for others.

Like the steering wheel blocking the gauges? I had that in my Honda Fit too. Luckily in my regular 500, I can make my speed show up in digits, lower in the gauge area, or I'd have the same problem in my Fiat. It's just the way I like to have the steering wheel arranged, I guess. Is that really a manufacturer problem, or is it because I'm short and that reviewer guy is tall?

He's comparing cars that aren't really that comparable. They all have applications. Some corner extremely well, but have a harsh ride. Some have a ton of horsepower, but that means the mpg take a hit. Some hold more people, or have a lower center of gravity, or all wheel drive. That means people get to choose what works best for them.

Robert Nixon
07-29-2013, 09:26 AM
The NY Times print edition typically has two automobile articles on Sunday, and along with the 500L review was a cool article on the Pagani cars.

trevc
07-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Although I think the writer went over the top I have to say I was also disappointed in the 500L I test drove.
I really love my Abarth and wanted so much to like the 500L. I was looking for something a little more practical with an auto trans for long trips with the wife when we need room to haul more 'stuff'.
The interior trim material choices were strange and the door panels stained very easily (dirty on all the demo cars). Lots of turbo lag. Rear seat folding arrangement was odd and wasted space. The handling felt more like an older minivan.
I think they would have done much better putting in a larger, normally aspirated engine. They made the same mistake with the Dodge Dart 1.4 Turbo model.

Like I say, I love the original 500 models and can't wait to see what they give us in the 2015 World-Wide version. But, the 500L disappointed and is off my short list :heart-borken:

HiFi Guy
07-29-2013, 07:50 PM
This guy clearly has an axe to grind. His bias is loud and clear. No one will confuse this with responsible reporting.

sjmst
07-29-2013, 09:43 PM

Not concerned. The 500L will sell.

rnddude
10-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I prefer to rely on journalists who are AUTO journalists. Among the best out there is Dan Neil, currently with the Wall Street Journal. Before that he was with the Los Angeles Times, where he was fired for refusing to be edited so as not to offend automotive advertisers. Here is his review of the 500e:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323744604578471110585778862.html

FTY
10-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Wait people still read the NYtimes ?

JoeB
10-08-2013, 04:41 AM
He got beat off the line by a UPS truck? No kidding..they're on a time crunch and beat everybody off the line. That guy knows nothing about cars, or UPS.

TheGonz
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
As a long-since retired journalist, it is embarrassing to see UPS written as U.P.S. and left unedited.

Writer?

The NY Times' style guide differs from the AP style guide in this regard. NYT Manual of Style and Usage specifies "U.P.S." as the acceptable abbreviation for United Parcel Service.