PDA

View Full Version : Installed downpipe now blowing white smoke...has anyone else seen this?

dylansi
07-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Sooooo last Sunday I installed the TMC downpipe I got from another member. Today while coming to a complete stop I noticed a fairly large cloud of white smoke come past my car and was like WTF, was that me?!?! Which I know it was, no one was behind me.

Has anyone else seen this? I know the cat is gone so it is no longer burning up all the extra stuff in the exhaust, but I have never seen this with a straight pipe exhaust before. And would not expect this to happen from the cat not being there.

I dont have a video yet but it does have the unburnt fuel smell with a mix of the "bag of coins" smell to it.

I may have to just return her to stock until my new cat shows up.

Thanks for any help.

MAZ
07-25-2013, 08:49 AM
yikes.
You will have more unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust w/o a cat. Fuel color is black/brown though. White smoke is usually oil or water. Oil will be a bluey-white.
White smoke from a turbo car is not a good sign (seals) as you may know. Hopefully you didn't clock the turbo housing around too much disturbing the seals when you installed the pipe? I haven't heard of anyone having to adjust the turbo housing to install the pipe.
Did the smoke occur right after you did the pipe? Does it happen in boost in vac or all the time constantly? Definitely check IC hoses for oil. How is your coolant level? CELs?

LittleEvil
07-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you blew the seals. perfect time for a turbo upgrade :)

deathshead
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Its normal to get a little oil "smell" with a catless setup.
especially under high vacuum, such as driving to work in the morning and driving down
a big hill and downshifting after a cold start from sitting all night.

But, your talking actual smoke? It is possible that your not up to full temperature and the seals need to expand when it comes up to temp.

I have heard of this on the BMW 135 boards when guys went to catless dps, however with no known issues other than the dp.

MAZ
07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Its normal to get a little oil "smell" with a catless setup.
especially under high vacuum

It is possible that your not up to full temperature and the seals need to expand when it comes up to temp.
^Exactly why I'm interested in when the smoking condition occurs..

Also, Have you fiddled recently with the breather system?, if the PCV is not working correctly in pulling the oil vapor you might get blow by/oil in the intake tract, but again it all depends on when the smoking condition is occurring, during boost, vac, right after boost, idle?

deathshead
07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Giuseppe has noticed this as well while running the TMC dp.

shagghie
07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Subscribed...
Let's get this one tracked down for Dylansi. How much smoke are we talking about, and how often?

deathshead
07-25-2013, 12:20 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yh0p83tykh0/TTb78fq6fvI/AAAAAAAAABM/q2ByBg92GlI/s1600/up+in+smoke.jpg

DS Ocampo
07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
My buddies did this and it was a bad turbo seal.. Only had 12k with MMBOX and CAI... But then again he wasn't to bright and redlined it all the time thinking that's how you race.. Dummy

shagghie
07-25-2013, 12:44 PM
My buddies did this and it was a bad turbo seal.. Only had 12k with MMBOX and CAI... But then again he wasn't to bright and redlined it all the time thinking that's how you race.. Dummy

Ummm, crap. I bounce mine off the rev limiter every day just commuting to work, let alone when I'm Auto-X'ing, where you're pinging it on every straight or slalom... That's how these cars are driven in Italy and the UK, so the seals must not be good for a 190 hp build then. I have 8k miles, no smoke of any sort and not burning any oil other than on mountain pass runs and at events. What happened to your buddy's car? Did he get a new turbo under warranty?

deathshead
07-25-2013, 02:24 PM
On a stock tune, You should be able to SAFELY be able to run these cars all day and night long at redline with no problems,

Again its common and normal to smell some oil with a catless setup..

but "plumes of smoke" is a different story..

deathshead
07-25-2013, 02:41 PM
This is what a blown turbo looks like *Typically*
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7954/p52100754bv.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/kta920/s4sideways_blown_turbos.jpg

deathshead
07-25-2013, 02:52 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5380110-Slight-smoking-and-oil-smell-after-decat

LOTS of threads like these -
Google "catless downpipe smell oil"

MAZ
07-25-2013, 03:20 PM
This is what a blown turbo looks like *Typically*
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7954/p52100754bv.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/kta920/s4sideways_blown_turbos.jpg
Ahh yes, the infamous B5S4 chipped on stock k03's, I can hear the unmistakable 'dentist drill' sound still and crop dusting plumes of smoke.
My neighbors looks as I drove up and down the street to smoke out the neighborhood. Good times man, good times!

OP needs to chime in with some more details.

DS Ocampo
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Pulled off the MODS. And took it in still under warranty

Ummm, crap. I bounce mine off the rev limiter every day just commuting to work, let alone when I'm Auto-X'ing, where you're pinging it on every straight or slalom... That's how these cars are driven in Italy and the UK, so the seals must not be good for a 190 hp build then. I have 8k miles, no smoke of any sort and not burning any oil other than on mountain pass runs and at events. What happened to your buddy's car? Did he get a new turbo under warranty?

dylansi
07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
OK sorry guys was away from the computer in a staff meeting.

So to answer the questions asked:

It only happens from what I can tell under vacuum...so when i shift into neutral and roll to a stop sign.
Car doesn't run any different than before DP
I did route a boost gauge into my car using "T" off the stock line that is shown in the ATM video for their boost gauge. Maybe this could have a small vacuum leak?
I know that the seal from the DP to the turbo is not completely sealed, I identified where and after typing this am going to the shop to put the car on the lift and fix it.
I can't see any smoke during acceleration only when coming to a stop AND it is not like the pictures above, barely noticeable but I can see it roll past the car at times, other times I can only smell it.
Didnt start until yesterday and I just installed the DP last Sunday and maybe put 100 miles on the car.
Coolant level is normal
Yes I got a CEL at 35 miles with the DP, I have a 100 cell cat on the way so I just planned on leaving the CEL go until then. Maybe that is this issue? I haven't read the codes...

Thanks

dylansi
07-25-2013, 09:31 PM
So all done uninstalling and reinstalling everything again. I still think it may be leaking up at the turbo/DP meet, I think I can feel the exhaust coming out. This is only due to the bottom bolts where the DP meets the midpipe are not lining up. So I have to adjust where the DP meets the Turbo for them to seat. Hopefully next week my cat will be in and i can fix that issue with my custom setup. I really dont want to drill out the holes but it may come down to that.

I only drove it roughly a half mile from the self help shop to my house and didn't see or smell the smoke, but the car never had a chance to get warm. I also disconnected the battery to rest the CEL and am wondering now if that wasn't the main problem.

dylansi
07-26-2013, 01:48 AM
It is still leaving the cloud of smoke when rolling up to a stop...I only saw it once during my drive (about 4 miles) but is still there. I am sure CEL will reappear during my drive home tomorrow from work

Kurumi
07-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Sounds like a seal might have broke when you swapped downpipes the first time. Did you replace the seal when you put in the new downpipe? Did you do that when you put the OEM one back on as well?

jguerdat
07-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Sounds like you blew the seals. perfect time for a turbo upgrade :)

Sorry, has to be said.

Who blew what seals? Didn't they complain?

:Blue:

MAZ
07-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Wondering how the turbine exhaust side seal may have been disturbed during the dp swap. Did you unbolt/loosen the turbo housing to rotate the exhaust side for things to line up during the dp install? That's really the only way that I can see the seal being caused to leak due to the dp install. The actual DP is not going to be the cause of the smoke.
Did you peak inside your lower IC hoses for oil?

dylansi
07-26-2013, 01:52 PM
I didn't reinstall the stock DP with cat, I am still running the cat-less DP.
No I didnt touch anything on the turbo on loosened and removed the V-band clamp. I did reuse the same gasket for both ends.
I didnt see the smoke this morning but of course did smell the fuel.

Didnt check the IC hoses which side do you suggest I check? I can take it to the shop tomorrow after work and check them. Just to be sure what am I looking for? Just oil?

I also checked my oil level and it is normal. I was thinking it may be burning off the "gunk" that was inside of the DP from the previous owner, I heat wrapped my whole exhaust from DP down to about 6" after the downstream o2 sensor. So it may be heating up more than before and burning that off?? What do you think?

Yes the DP to turbo mounting ppint is not completely sealed, I may fix that saturday as well but dont think I will have time cause the shop is only open until 4:30PM and I get off work at 1:30pm. I will have to take everything apart again and drill out the holes for the DP and midpipe to line up without having to adjust the DP to turbo connection

deathshead
07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
The Exhaust wrap WILL SMOKE for a while when new!!!

when I did my wrap and blanket I took the car for a nice mountain run and when I stopped at the bottom of the hill smoke was coming out of my Assetto Corse heat extractor vent, it looks like a BBQ grill, lol

dylansi
07-26-2013, 02:24 PM
The Exhaust wrap WILL SMOKE for a while when new!!!

when I did my wrap and blanket I took the car for a nice mountain run and when I stopped at the bottom of the hill smoke was coming out of my Assetto Corse heat extractor vent, it looks like a BBQ grill, lol

Yep i am past that point now of the wrap smoking, it did the same thing when I wrapped the midpipe.

Just clarify the smoke is a gray/white smoke...it is not thick. I do think I smell burnt oil in it but could just be my mind playing games with me

dylansi
07-28-2013, 03:21 PM
So I am wondering if it isnt the PCV system, or over filled oil that wasnt noticed before because the cat was taking care of it.

I did find the line running from the bottom of my HCI was not connected, dont know how this happened, reconnected it but still had the smoke yesterday. I am not sure if having this disconnected for roughly 5 days would have caused a build up of oil somewhere and it is still burning it off. Or if maybe the "T" I added for the boost gauge is blocking off the vacuum. I am going to return that line to stock today and see if that helps.

I am also going to look at the HCI and make sure everything is still connected as before the main pipe coming from the turbo had blown off I assume under pressure. But now I am going to check in the cowl area.

Still need to check the IC pipes for oil.

MAZ
08-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Still smoking?

dylansi
08-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Yep...only when I pop a code or in sport mode. I clear the codes every time that I see one. I am almost positive it is the DP causing the issue.

Was brought to my attention that the TMC DP is supposed to have a spacer with it that I didnt get from the seller:sad:. So I think the connection from the DP to Midpipe is pulling down not allowing the DP to turbo connection to seal in turn letting air leak in and throwing the code for lean bank 1. Going to order the RR DP and call it a day...hopefully smoke stops.

MAZ
08-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Yep...only when I pop a code or in sport mode. I clear the codes every time that I see one. I am almost positive it is the DP causing the issue.

Was brought to my attention that the TMC DP is supposed to have a spacer with it that I didnt get from the seller:sad:. So I think the connection from the DP to Midpipe is pulling down not allowing the DP to turbo connection to seal in turn letting air leak in and throwing the code for lean bank 1. Going to order the RR DP and call it a day...hopefully smoke stops.
Spacer?
I think you might mean gasket?
The TMC DP's do not included a new gasket. Most guys reused their current gaskets if they were in good condition. Although a fresh gasket can be purchased from your dealer.

dylansi
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
No I meant a spacer. Something about our NA Abarth being a little different than the Euro spec

deathshead
08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
No I meant a spacer. Something about our NA Abarth being a little different than the Euro spec

INTERESTING! - Who brought this to your attention?
the only spacer I know of is the o2 sensor spacers which are 100% useless.

the Euro Abarth uses a completley different downpipe as its running the smaller ihi turbo, unless its a gt1446 tributo, 595. etc.

In that case the Abarth Punto EVO is "OUR" downpipe, hence that top heatshield ear that we dont need on top.

Oh DARON @ TMC!.

dylansi
08-06-2013, 05:16 PM
INTERESTING! - Who brought this to your attention?
the only spacer I know of is the o2 sensor spacers which are 100% useless.

the Euro Abarth uses a completley different downpipe as its running the smaller ihi turbo, unless its a gt1446 tributo, 595. etc.

In that case the Abarth Punto EVO is "OUR" downpipe, hence that top heatshield ear that we dont need on top.

Oh DARON @ TMC!.

RRM when I called yesterday about purchasing their new DP.

MAZ
08-06-2013, 06:14 PM

dylansi -
You bought your pipe from another board member GoFiatgo!?
If I can recall; I do believe that he purchased on the group buy (from me). If that is correct, you do have the correct and identical pipe as myself and Deathshead and 8 others who did not need any 'spacers'.
Just FYI and you may want to check some of DH's informative installation postings and check your install.
Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.
I'd hate to see you purchase another pipe and be back at 'square 1' with the same issues.

dylansi
08-06-2013, 07:49 PM
dylansi -
You bought your pipe from another board member GoFiatgo!?
If I can recall; I do believe that he purchased on the group buy (from me). If that is correct, you do have the correct and identical pipe as myself and Deathshead and 8 others who did not need any 'spacers'.
Just FYI and you may want to check some of DH's informative installation postings and check your install.
Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.
I'd hate to see you purchase another pipe and be back at 'square 1' with the same issues.

OK I'll take it apart and reinstall it for the sixth time just to reconfirm that the bottom bolt holes do not match up with the stock midpipe. Then I'll take it off again and drill the holes out so that it will actually line up.

I appreciate your help but trust me I have had this thing apart so many times the guys at the self-help shop know me on a first name basis. Its a pretty basic install once the stock DP is out...3 bolts not counting the heat shields, and considering the bottom doesnt match up the extra bracket obviously doesnt apply to my install

I will look over his postings now though just to make sure I am not missing anything

dylansi
08-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Only thing I found is to loosen the lower bracket by the flex pipe which I never did. This may make sense to do as it will give the pipe more room to move about.

deathshead
08-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Just buy a new V-band Clamp and gasket, the beefier the clamp and gasket the better.
Take the midpipe bracket down, its a 13mm I think..

Some of the pipes like mine were a hair off on the bottom bracket, check my original install posts.
do the top V-band clamp on top FIRST!
tighten the living **** out of it.

THEN tighten the bottom brackets and make sure that nothing moves or gets pulled and tweaked out creating a leak when you tighten the bolts down, I think whats happening here is just that. if the lower bracket is just a bit off just use 1 bolt in there or some washers, or slot the holes in the bracket.

Technically I dont think you even really NEED that lower bracket as the midpipe has a bracket there holding everything in. i think a few guys went this way.

Also, the Tork motorsports downpipe dosent seem to use that bracket either..

dylansi
08-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I did buy a V-band but it was too big and was the smallest they had at O Reilly's. Will probably check another O Reilly's today or NAPA. Anyone know a part number or comparable part number or size for the V-band?

What you describe is exactly what I have been sure is happening. I am tightening vband first then tightening DP to mid pipe. When doing that the DP to mid pipe is pulling down on the exhaust creating a leak up by the turbo. Tomorrow when the self-help shop is open I will put it back on the lift and re-loosen everything including the bracket at the flex. I may even leave that bracket unbolted as my whole down pipe to flex pipe is heat wrapped so I don't think it will make a rattle.

I plan on ordering the RRM catted DP and installing that ASAP. Gave up on ACAT Global.

dylansi
08-08-2013, 11:24 PM
OK took it all apart and fixed the sealing points. Loosening that bracket by the flex pipe was my savior. Still blowing smoke and popping codes. Here they are: P2096 and P0420. I know the second code is the o2 sensor. Not sure if the first is directly related to not having the cat either. What do you guys think?

RRM DP is purchased so as soon as I get that installed I will check for smoke again. If it still does it I will go back to stock and make the limp of shame to the Studio. Car is running fine though. DP def takes out the surge of the turbo, its much more balanced.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 12:02 AM
The R/R Hi Flow Cat DP was carefully developed and spec'd to guarantee fitment on our NA Abarth so it should solve your smoking and CEL issues. Sorry you had to go through all of that troubles w/ the TMC decat DP :-(

dylansi
08-09-2013, 12:07 AM
I hope so, thanks for caring.

TMC DP + Hi flow cat or resonator would be fine im sure. Too bad ACAT Global could follow through. Hope our DPs get here soon so I can call up Rad Motorsport and get pipe ran back, guess ill be going with 2.25"

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 12:41 AM
I hope so, thanks for caring.

TMC DP + Hi flow cat or resonator would be fine im sure. Too bad ACAT Global could follow through. Hope our DPs get here soon so I can call up Rad Motorsport and get pipe ran back, guess ill be going with 2.25"

Sounds like a plan. Look forward to hearing about RM's work for you. I plan to keep the stock mid pipe for now with the R/R axle back until something better comes along.

deathshead
08-09-2013, 03:21 PM

So let me get this straight...

RRM said there is another "spacer" that is needed and missing? for the TMC downpipe for FITMENT?

MAZ
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM

RRM said there is another "spacer" that is needed and missing? for the TMC downpipe for FITMENT?

Hey, it got dylansi to buy one of their DP's.

I mean I love my RRM ECM, but they are talking silly lately on pumping up their DP.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Maz, how's your TMC DP running? What happened to EliRider? MIA? Miss his contributions.

dylansi
08-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Yes

Hey, it got dylansi to buy one of their DP's.

I mean I love my RRM ECM, but they are talking silly lately on pumping up their DP.

No what got me to buy the RRM unit is, the fitment issue with the TMC, the obnoxious sound, the smoke, the increased inside diameter of the RRM unit, not wanting to clear CELs everytime I drive.

I was planning on buying a 200cell cat anyway, so lets do the math: $200 used TMC DP + $170 hi-flow cat + V-band and gaskets $40 + welding on cat $??? = $410+ OK now my new setup RRM Downpipe $425

So my TMC unit will be on the market in a week or two. No hate, just want something else

MAZ
08-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Maz, how's your TMC DP running? What happened to EliRider? MIA? Miss his contributions.

I haven't a clue as to what happened to EliRider (Ed?)
Mine went on without issue, no BigDaddies piece so I had the CELs. I was going to do the same route a DH had with the mini bullett muffler, but had to take it off as I had to bring the car in for a rear main or trans leak at the time (didn't want warranty flak from dealer). I'm going to wait out before it goes back on for a CEL fix.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Mine went on without issue, no BigDaddies piece so I had the CELs. I was going to do the same route a DH had with the mini bullett muffler, but had to take it off as I had to bring the car in for a rear main or trans leak at the time (didn't want warranty flak from dealer). I'm going to wait out before it goes back on for a CEL fix.

Hmm..strange for a moderator to suddenly disappear. Perhaps he sold his Abarth? Bummer with the tranny leak, hope it's properly fixed under warranty so you can put back your DP and resolve the CEL issue.

Fiat500USA
08-09-2013, 06:19 PM
I miss him, too! EliRider has a lot going on at the moment. But I'm sure we'll see him back once things settle down.

dylansi
08-09-2013, 06:21 PM

I've got the same leak, 5-0 how do you think the Studio would be if I brought my car in with my MODs to have that fixed? Or should I go back stock?

Fiat500USA
08-09-2013, 06:34 PM
I've got the same leak, 5-0 how do you think the Studio would be if I brought my car in with my MODs to have that fixed? Or should I go back stock?

I don't know the dealer, but if you aren't sure, I would remove a piggyback just to be safe. Exhaust and a downpipe would be hard to attribute to a trans leak. Just curious - is the trans dripping or looks damp?

dylansi
08-09-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't know the dealer, but if you aren't sure, I would remove a piggyback just to be safe. Exhaust and a downpipe would be hard to attribute to a trans leak. Just curious - is the trans dripping or looks damp?

I dont have a piggyback. Only have DP and ATM HCI.

Umm cant really say it is a drip. I have had my car on a lift twice a week since having this DP and I have to wipe it every time. Also the plastic skid cover will have noticable wet stains on it. It has been doing this since the first time I had it on a lift at my 1000 mile oil change back in October or December (was away for 6 weeks), I cant remeber when I did it.

Fiat500USA
08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
OK took it all apart and fixed the sealing points. Loosening that bracket by the flex pipe was my savior. Still blowing smoke and popping codes. Here they are: P2096 and P0420. I know the second code is the o2 sensor. Not sure if the first is directly related to not having the cat either. What do you guys think?

RRM DP is purchased so as soon as I get that installed I will check for smoke again. If it still does it I will go back to stock and make the limp of shame to the Studio. Car is running fine though. DP def takes out the surge of the turbo, its much more balanced.

P2096-DOWNSTREAM FUEL TRIM SYSTEM 1 LEAN

Set Condition:
The conditions that cause this diagnostic to fail is when the upstream O2
sensor becomes biased from an exhaust leak, O2 sensor contamination or some
other extreme operating condition.

dylansi
08-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Thank you. I know it leaks and and/or is from the cat being removed. Hoping the RRM DP will resolve this.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Since you're replacing the DP any way, I would put it back to stock if it's not too much trouble for you. Based on my experience, the service mgr., Christine, is a real hard "a@*". Better to be safe than sorry. With the CAI, you should be okay since it is a mild mod which is not directly linked to the tranny and the leak occurred prior to your putting it on.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Thank you. I know it leaks and and/or is from the cat being removed. Hoping the RRM DP will resolve this.

The R/R DP kit also includes a CEL eliminator for the 2nd bottom 02 sensor, if a CEL comes on.

dylansi
08-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Yea going back to stock would be a PITA. Considering it took 3.5 hrs. to install the DP It would probably take the same if not more. Those heat shield bolts are not a joke. Although as many times as I have removed and reinstalled the TMC DP you would think it would be easy.

Wonder if I should call Danny and ask him. Every time I see him he asks what I have done to it so far

dylansi
08-09-2013, 07:14 PM
The R/R DP kit also includes a CEL eliminator for the 2nd bottom 02 sensor, if a CEL comes on.

Really? I didnt know that. I have two CEL eliminators now, none of which work. I use Torque app to remove the codes. Just found the app has a specific Fiat plug-in to monitor extra perimeters.

Does it come with new gaskets also?

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Yea going back to stock would be a PITA. Considering it took 3.5 hrs. to install the DP It would probably take the same if not more. Those heat shield bolts are not a joke. Although as many times as I have removed and reinstalled the TMC DP you would think it would be easy.

Wonder if I should call Danny and ask him. Every time I see him he asks what I have done to it so far

Nah, I wouldn't waste your time w/ Danny, nice guy but no help when it comes to service issues.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Really? I didnt know that. I have two CEL eliminators now, none of which work. I use Torque app to remove the codes. Just found the app has a specific Fiat plug-in to monitor extra perimeters.

Does it come with new gaskets also?

I'll hit you up one day on the torque app. Need to get more savvy in checking these puppies. The R/R DP doesn't come with gaskets or v band clamp. They said to reuse to stock ones. It does come with new bolts to mount to the mid pipe.

dylansi
08-09-2013, 08:07 PM
I thought it came with a new V-band? I could have sworn I read somewhere that they had one custom made for this?

dylansi
08-09-2013, 08:10 PM
I'll hit you up one day on the torque app. Need to get more savvy in checking these puppies. The R/R DP doesn't come with gaskets or v band clamp. They said to reuse to stock ones. It does come with new bolts to mount to the mid pipe.

Yea I dont understand all the things you can moniter but I know it pretty freaking cool. You can see things like actual boost, coolant temp, intake temp, check current and pending codes, then clear them, many many many more. Can get a mount for your device and leave the app running with whatever custom gauges to moniter things.

Ive bought and returned three different V-bands now, none of them have fit yet. Napa only has one more in stock I havent tried yet. Orielly (on Dillingham in Kalihi) only had two different ones none of them fit. I know ATP has one for sale that is supposed to fit, cost $34 before shipping.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I thought it came with a new V-band? I could have sworn I read somewhere that they had one custom made for this?

Is this where you read it from? http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10741-ROAD-RACE-Down-Pipes-that-count!/page8

I think what Rob is referring to is the CNC machined lip or flange to properly fit the OEM turbo housing and OEM V band clamp.

Abarth Five O
08-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Is this where you read it from? http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10741-ROAD-RACE-Down-Pipes-that-count!/page8

I think what Rob is referring to is the CNC machined lip or flange to properly fit the OEM turbo housing and OEM V band clamp.

This link should clarify what Rob meant i.e. CNC V Band Flange: http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_119&products_id=1937

dylansi
08-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Yes I think that may be it...that sucks cause my clamp and gaskets need to be changed.

Abarth Five O
08-10-2013, 01:20 AM
Yes I think that may be it...that sucks cause my clamp and gaskets need to be changed.

Probably a good idea to at least change the gaskets.

808Abarth
08-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Hawaiiabarth meetup!

Abarth Five O
08-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Hawaiiabarth meetup!
I'm down. May be on a Sunday afternoon out in my neck of the woods: HI Kai/Maunalua Bay parking lot? I see a lot of tuners meet there on Sundays. I know another guy w/ an Abarth. He might be down too.

dylansi
08-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Im not too far from there, I live in Kalihi...on base not in the town of Kalihi. Maybe hit up a Teddy's down that way?

dylansi
08-10-2013, 02:39 PM
I need to find the sizes of the stock gaskets and V-band for the down pipe. My current V-band is screwed from taking it off like 10 times at the least. Will install the RRM down pipe on Friday as long as it comes Wednesday like the tracking says.

Either of you guys are welcome to come to FT Shafter Flats to work on your car, I will get you on a lift so that you can actually work on your car without having to lay on the ground. Cost is only $5 an hour for the lift and an enormous selection of tools. Makes an oil change easy as pie. I dont work there, just have been there so much between this car, my Ridgeline and my former TL. Wish they would open the paint booth again.

Abarth Five O
08-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I would call Jerry at Cutter Fiat Parts Dept. for the part #s and sizes. They can usually get it in a few days. Thanks again for the offer! I might hit u up on it if I decide to install the DP myself as I know it's a PITA :-(

dylansi
08-10-2013, 03:21 PM
May call him, was trying get something better than the stock ones, at least for the V-band clamp

MAZ
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Was wondering if OP's car is still smoking, or what the final issue/resolution was?

dylansi
09-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Final resolution: Remove TMC Down pipe, install RRM Down pipe. No smoke, no smell (in car), no rasp. Perfect fitment, between the two it is night and day with fitment. The TMC is so far off.

Although my wife was driving behind my car a couple weeks ago and said when we got home "your car smells like sh!t". I asked if she saw any smoke at all and she said "no". Don't know the exact smell though.

Abarth Five O
09-03-2013, 04:11 PM
The TMC DP was probably spec'd off the EU version which is not exactly the same as the NA version. Hmm...haven't noticed any bad smell coming from mine. Will check though.

DS Ocampo
09-03-2013, 05:05 PM
I have the madness one... Only smell what the cat isn't picking up anymore cuz it's gone... No smoke though... Hope all goes well.. Hope the turbo seals are ok

dylansi
09-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Gary,

Have someone ride behind you with their windows down and you need to hammer on it the whole way through the RPMs, shift to a higher gear and let the RPMs drop to roughly 2k. When I had the TMC and Sport on, when doing as mentioned above is when the smoke came.

If drilled out the TMC would probably fit but as it is now It is nowhere close. Constant p2096 CEL from a leak

Abarth Five O
09-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I have the madness one... Only smell what the cat isn't picking up anymore cuz it's gone... No smoke though... Hope all goes well.. Hope the turbo seals are ok

No cel? Is the LAMBDA O2 Oxygen Sensor Extender Spacer working?

Abarth Five O
09-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Gary,

Have someone ride behind you with their windows down and you need to hammer on it the whole way through the RPMs, shift to a higher gear and let the RPMs drop to roughly 2k. When I had the TMC and Sport on, when doing as mentioned above is when the smoke came.

If drilled out the TMC would probably fit but as it is now It is nowhere close. Constant p2096 CEL from a leak

Will give it a try if my wife or boyz are up to it.

dylansi
09-03-2013, 05:12 PM

I dont see why my seals would be bad. I never touched the turbo. I have seen on the Dart forums of people's turbo seals going bad, so maybe it is also happening with the Abarths BUT the stock cat is taking care of the smoke?

Abarth_Ray
07-16-2015, 07:39 PM
ATP 3" downpipe smokes for me, i believe its because i nearly destroyed my v clamp getting it off so my dp isnt sealing correctly. Car also smells like burning oil.

shooterblaze
12-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Hey All,

Just picked up a new 2018 Abarth and threw on the EC phase 0 plus an EC intake and 3" ATP Catless downpipe. Car runs great but is smoking quite a bit on deceleration. Only happens under very light load. Looks to be whiteish?

Note: My V band clamp was damaged during OEM removal and I have yet to put the new one on but it seems to have a good seal. I originally thought the smoke was due to excessively rich fuel map but after flashing it back to stock there's no change. Oil level is fine, coolant level is fine. Car has 600 miles on it.

Questions:

- If the vband was damaged, why would it cause the car to smoke?
- I've run catless on a few cars and never experienced one that smells THIS bad and smokes this much. Is that just part of running no cat on an Abarth?
- I assume running a highflow cat would resolve both issues? Has anyone added one in the midpipe with any success or will it not get hot enough to be effective?

Thanks!

Southernroadrunner
12-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Congrats on the new car. Dont really have an answer on the smoke thing. Guess if it's not broke dont fix it. Just a little humor for the day. Sure someone will have had the same experience.

NGEN
12-05-2018, 12:33 AM
You need to replace that v-band immeditetely

shooterblaze
12-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Congrats on the new car. Dont really have an answer on the smoke thing. Guess if it's not broke dont fix it. Just a little humor for the day. Sure someone will have had the same experience.

Thanks. I love these cars but in stock form they're just a little too numb. :)

shooterblaze
12-05-2018, 01:51 PM
You need to replace that v-band immeditetely

Thanks. I'll definitely do that. Just out of curiosity, what's the theory behind a bad v-band causing the car to smoke? Insufficient and/or inconsistent back pressure causing the turbo seal to leak?

EC suspects it could be oil making it's way though back into the intake so i've got a catch can on order as well.

Thanks again!

PS: You have some nice parts on your site. I'm sure we'll be chatting soon. ;)

-J