PDA

View Full Version : A little love from J.D. Power this time around..

Felnus
07-24-2013, 11:09 PM
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2013/07/24/jd-power-apeal-rankings/5.html

Andree
07-25-2013, 12:39 AM
It's not really from them, it's from the people who chose to respond when asked. J.D. Powers just tallies and publishes what the people who chose to reply feel/think.

I participated. I love that little car.

Andree
07-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Best part I can see, there was no second or third place at the link. Because, as we know, there is no other city car worth considering.

Going through the list again, I noticed that the Kia Soul is another runaway leader for the Compact Multi-Purpose category.

Is the 500L in that category? Because I'd like to see Chrysler, Fiat, Dodge, Ram Trucks and Jeep takeover that whole J.D. Powers tops list.

The list is for the first 90 days of ownership.

"J.D. Power's annual APEAL survey ranks new cars by how well their owners like them after 90 days. Vehicle owners were asked about 77 different aspects of their vehicles and those ratings were combined into a single score.

The survey name stands for Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout.

Not all the cars that do well in this survey are big sellers, but vehicles that score higher in the survey tended to fetch higher prices at the dealership, according to J.D. Power. Owners of top ranked vehicles also tend to be loyal to the brand."

That last part is kind of a no-brainer. People that are very happy with their car would be more likely to consider another car from the same brand. Why ever would I go elsewhere if the car fulfills my current needs? And you just can't pay for that kind of advertising when it comes to opinion, so that the cars will and do command a higher price.

"If you like this kind of thing, this is the kind of thing you will like." If you're looking for a city car to jam around town, park, carry two, four in a pinch, for errands or adventure, this is the kind of car that should do it for you. With plenty of versions from mild to wild to make most everyone in need of a city car happy.

When I look at the outside of the Kia Soul, it's kind of cool. But how many engine options does it have? We have a bunch. And the UK has even more. How many versions does it have, like does it have a convertible or electric? I didn't think so. Actually, I don't know, the Kia Soul page isn't loading, it's a big white space. Alrighty then, three different urls, none loaded for Kia. Kia, you lose.

Yup, that's part of satisfaction too, having working web pages.

Seafarer61
07-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Seems to make sense to me. Got my first oil change (Rotella T6) at the 4K mark this week and when they drove it up to be picked up, after I left the desk, I noticed two people hovering around it taking photos. That cracked me up.

johnnyquest
07-25-2013, 09:37 PM
People that are very happy with their car would be more likely to consider another car from the same brand. Why ever would I go elsewhere if the car fulfills my current needs? And you just can't pay for that kind of advertising when it comes to opinion, so that the cars will and do command a higher price.

See, this is my current dilemma. I'm currently leasing a 2012 Volvo S60 T5. The lease payment is, IMO, very affordable at $350 per month. I've put 23,500 miles on the car and it has been absolutely brilliant. I drive a lot between southern California and Arizona and the Volvo is a fantastic road car. Plenty of power, smooth yet firm Euro sport sedan ride, and I get around 29 to 31 mpg on average on my freeway trips. I've had zero problems with the car. I just went in for service (which is free for the first 3 years/36k miles) and the dealership in Van Nuys is probably the closest thing to automotive nirvana I've ever seen. It is also a Jaguar, Lotus, Lincoln, and Aston Martin dealership. The whole setup is super classy. They even have a fully operational Starbucks in the waiting area. I got a free coffee while I waited for my car. They got me in the same day I called, finished my service in less than 90 minutes, didn't cost me a dime, and everyone there was extremely pleasant to deal with. As I drove back to Palmdale, I tried to remember how much fun I had driving the Abarth a few weeks ago, and thought of my plan which was to trade the S60 in for an Abarth. I seriously started having second thoughts. The Abarth is a ton of fun to drive, looks fantastic, sounds amazing, and I can probably lease one for $100 less per month...but I won't have free maintenance and I seriously doubt they will provide the same level of service as a Volvo dealer. I am seriously torn. I have a few months to decide...but at this point I'm not sure what I will do. I know Fiat has gone out of their way to differentiate themselves from the competition in their price point (calling their dealerships "Studios", making the inside feel modern and fashionable), but if they really want someone to come in and put down GTI level money on an Abarth then they have to concentrate on making sure the customer experience after the sale is exemplary.

JQ

Seafarer61
07-25-2013, 10:26 PM
...but if they really want someone to come in and put down GTI level money on an Abarth then they have to concentrate on making sure the customer experience after the sale is exemplary.

JQ

I paid $22,700 for my 2013 Abarth. I know of no 2013 GTI priced even remotely close to that.

johnnyquest
07-26-2013, 08:17 PM
I paid $22,700 for my 2013 Abarth. I know of no 2013 GTI priced even remotely close to that.

New 2-door GTI's start at $24,200.

http://www.vw.com/en/models/gti/gallery.html

New Abarth 2-doors start at $22,000. Very similar money when spread out over a three year lease or a 6 year loan.

JQ

Edit: Additionally, the GTI comes with free scheduled maintenance for 3 years or 36k miles.

Andree
07-26-2013, 09:09 PM
See, this is my current dilemma. I'm currently leasing a 2012 Volvo S60 T5. The lease payment is, IMO, very affordable at $350 per month. I've put 23,500 miles on the car and it has been absolutely brilliant. I drive a lot between southern California and Arizona and the Volvo is a fantastic road car. Plenty of power, smooth yet firm Euro sport sedan ride, and I get around 29 to 31 mpg on average on my freeway trips. I've had zero problems with the car. I just went in for service (which is free for the first 3 years/36k miles) and the dealership in Van Nuys is probably the closest thing to automotive nirvana I've ever seen. It is also a Jaguar, Lotus, Lincoln, and Aston Martin dealership. The whole setup is super classy. They even have a fully operational Starbucks in the waiting area. I got a free coffee while I waited for my car. They got me in the same day I called, finished my service in less than 90 minutes, didn't cost me a dime, and everyone there was extremely pleasant to deal with. As I drove back to Palmdale, I tried to remember how much fun I had driving the Abarth a few weeks ago, and thought of my plan which was to trade the S60 in for an Abarth. I seriously started having second thoughts. The Abarth is a ton of fun to drive, looks fantastic, sounds amazing, and I can probably lease one for $100 less per month...but I won't have free maintenance and I seriously doubt they will provide the same level of service as a Volvo dealer. I am seriously torn. I have a few months to decide...but at this point I'm not sure what I will do. I know Fiat has gone out of their way to differentiate themselves from the competition in their price point (calling their dealerships "Studios", making the inside feel modern and fashionable), but if they really want someone to come in and put down GTI level money on an Abarth then they have to concentrate on making sure the customer experience after the sale is exemplary.

JQ

All those lovely benefits come with a cost, and that cost is covered by the vehicles sold through the dealership. None of the vehicles mentioned are "cheap". None of those manufacturers offers a $14,000 car.

You get Starbucks at your dealership. Over in the service area at my dealership, the waiting area is a chilly hallway, and it has a coffee machine that grinds fresh beans to make a cup. It's not lux. It never will be, because the cars are not at the same price point.

And it's highly unlikely that the service level will ever be the same as luxury auto dealers. Money is part of the equation. People are part of the equation.

As far as changing cars, is your lease going to be up in a few months? Never a good idea to transfer a balance to another car. Start fresh with each car.

For you, I'd suggest renting an Abarth for one of your trips. This place has them:
http://midwayreservations9.reachlocal.net/gallery/hybridspecialty

Make sure that the vehicle suits your primary needs, including the distance road trips. It absolutely must fulfill that need or you will be miserable and looking for another car.

If you did choose the Abarth, using your numbers, you'll save $100 month on the lease, plus get better mpg which is another savings. Per year you get $1,200 "extra" that can go towards any maintenance expense. I have 7 months on my regular 500 and have thus far spent zero dollars on maintenance. Stuff the $100 extra per month plus gas savings into it's own "car account". That will give you "free maintenance". The money that you don't use at the end of your lease is pure joy. Money that you wouldn't get back while leasing the Volvo with their "free maintenance".

Seafarer61
07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
New 2-door GTI's start at $24,200.

New Abarth 2-doors start at $22,000. Very similar money when spread out over a three year lease or a 6 year loan.

No VW dealer in this neck of the woods are selling GTIs at "starting" prices. That was my initial point. Note that pesky fine print at the bottom of your link. " Dealer sets actual price. "

VW dealers are notorious for ordering their GTIs well-equipped.

In fact, a quick search at cars.com for local 2-dr GTIs revealed average GTI price at $28K, as I suspected. Good luck getting much of a discount off that. Golfs sell well enough down here that dealers aren't inclined to move much off sticker. Also, these prices DON'T include the supplementary "dealer add-ons" sheet, which usually (if and when they DO discount) is what is used to negotiate discounts, still forcing a new buyer to pay close to original sticker.

You can buy Abarths down here all day long for $22K.