PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioned Glove Box for Drinks???

Spancho
07-24-2013, 07:14 AM
On the 500L Trekking, In the rear right side of the upper glove box there is a hole about the size of a quarter. Salesman told us this is specifically for air conditioning to cool the glovebox so you can leave a couple of cans of soda or whatnot in the glovebox to keep cool. Sounded very strange.

There is indeed a hole there -but no ac comes through it. Does anyone know why that obvious hole is there?

Andree
07-24-2013, 10:17 AM
That was shown as a feature, the refrigerated glove box, in a YouTube video. But neither the "user guide" nor the Owner's Manual says anything about the feature.

Page 323 does mention the A/C air filter is located behind the glove box:

The A/C air filter is located in the fresh air inlet behind the glove box. Perform the following procedure to re- place the filter:
1. Open the glove compartment and remove all contents.
2. Push in on the sides of the glove compartment and lower the door.
3. Pivot the glove compartment downward.
4. Disengage the retaining tabs that secure the air filter access door to the HVAC housing.
(etc)

So it probably is A/C.

Cammilla500L
07-24-2013, 10:19 AM
I have that in my Easy and the salesman fiddled with it and couldn't make it work and he said he would check with the service dept. and find out how to turn it on. I was so excited to drive mine off the lot that I forgot to remind his to check. I do believe I'd not use it to cool something but you never know, I do live out in the very hot desert and may need to keep something cool. It's a neet ideal.

Andree
07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
It's mentioned here:

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/12/a-look-at-2014-fiat-500l.html
"The top glove box contains an A/C vent on some models. Just the thing you need if you like to carry emergency chocolate in the summer!"

Curious
07-24-2013, 06:01 PM
On the 500L Trekking, In the rear right side of the upper glove box there is a hole about the size of a quarter. Salesman told us this is specifically for air conditioning to cool the glovebox so you can leave a couple of cans of soda or whatnot in the glovebox to keep cool. Sounded very strange.

There is indeed a hole there -but no ac comes through it. Does anyone know why that obvious hole is there?

I have seen videos about that. In one video there was some Italians going for a test ride and they were all commenting about it. Yes they spoke Italian which I do not but you could tell by their gestures that it kept the drinks cold. I have also read a bit about it. It's not mentioned anywhere in the owners manual. You can download that from the Fiat web site.

I believe you just have to have the A C going and make certain the little round vent in the top glove box is open. Have seen the vent in the cars, did not see if it worked when I went for a test drive.

Have not yet gotten one yet, waiting for my dealer to get me one with the equipment I want and in a color I would like. May take time, lots of it.

Andree
08-18-2013, 10:10 PM
See n00dles thread with a dial in the glove box:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11270-Trekking-in-LA!&p=624399&viewfull=1#post624399