PDA

View Full Version : Under the 'engine cover'

tpoltron
07-23-2013, 12:55 AM
For anyone who's wondered here's what under the 'engine cover' on a 500e. It just pops off for access to the 12V battery that powers the cars old school accessories and energizes the relay that let's power out of the big battery. Yup if the 12V battery is dead your electric car won't start just like in the old days. In the picture the large silver box to the left is the DC to AC converter (from main battery to electric motor), in the middle is the 12V batter and on the right more control electronics. Note the yellow stickers with red fireman hats and scissor icons on the black wires below the 12V battery to tell first responders where to cut to keep the big power in the big battery.
Enjoy,
Trent

500ways
07-23-2013, 08:05 AM
For anyone who's wondered here's what under the 'engine cover' on a 500e. It just pops off for access to the 12V battery that powers the cars old school accessories and energizes the relay that let's power out of the big battery. Yup if the 12V battery is dead your electric car won't start just like in the old days. In the picture the large silver box to the left is the DC to AC converter (from main battery to electric motor), in the middle is the 12V batter and on the right more control electronics. Note the yellow stickers with red fireman hats and scissor icons on the black wires below the 12V battery to tell first responders where to cut to keep the big power in the big battery.
Enjoy,
Trent

How are you liking the car?

Ryephile
07-23-2013, 11:39 AM
I see a few common components with the gasoline powered 500's; 12V battery, coolant expansion tank, and brake reservoir.

Other than that, whew it looks like a mess in there!

tpoltron
07-23-2013, 11:55 AM
How are you liking the car?

Its great. Its quieter on and more solid on the highway than I expected (and than almost all other cars its size). Interior is stylish and has a surprisingly quality feel. Its a blast to drive and really quick up to highway speeds. The size is also more useful than you'd think. Only a couple minor gripes, I wish I could get the steering wheel closer (typical Italian ergonomics for short legs and long arms) and the Tom Tom is obsolete (it works but has no connectivity for things like traffic data).