PDA

View Full Version : 500 Madness HID kit fits 500e (with a little extra work)

tpoltron
07-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Hi There,

I received and installed the 500 Madness drop in HID xenon light kit today. It looks and works great. The only problem is their cap at the rear of the light assembly is about 1cm thicker that the stock one (cause it holds the HID ballast) and on the 500e there is an 'OAT' coolant tank tight up against it on the passenger side. But its only 3 bolts and a nut to loosen the tank which allows the light cap to go on fairly readily. It also helps to pop off the 'engine cover'.

Here's the product page:
http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=65

Below is a pic with me pointing at the ballast cap and you can see the tank pressing against it.

Enjoy,
Trent

Andree
07-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Stupid question, how much more power does that draw?

In my past regular cars, since I don't drive much, the battery wasn't kept at a well-charged level. I'm sure it will be the same with the regular 500 too. So I don't like to drive at night, because the lights suck power.

The charger you have for your vehicle, that charges the BIG battery, right, not the small starting battery?

Do the two batteries exchange power?

And the big battery powers the wheels, while the small battery handles all the usual stuff?

I really don't know.

tpoltron
07-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Pretty much all headlights draw 55W but the HIDs are 2-3x as efficient so put out more light. Anytime any car is being driven having the headlights on doesn't significantly slow the rate at which the 12V battery is being charged.

Since they go off with the key, I've just been leaving the headlights on all the time as poor man's automatic lights. I figure it can't hurt if it helps me get seen during the day. The 500e has a 24kWh (kilo Watt hour) battery pack and you would typically drive it for about 2 hours in mixed used on a full charge. Two headlights burn 110W, so 220Wh in 2 hours, and that's less than 1% of the battery's range.

In the 500e the 12V is charged from the main battery and the main battery is charged when you plug it in. The 12V is used for all the accessories (radio, wipers, lights etc) as that voltage is the longstanding automotive standard. As mentioned it also powers the electronics that throws the relay that lets the big power out of the big battery when its safe. If you cut the 12V leads, the main battery and its high voltage is isolated.

Andree
07-23-2013, 06:15 PM
This is great information for me, and I'm sure others. Learning about the car and if things will fit or not, and how to make room for the additions. i enjoy learning.

You should have daylight running lights that you can turn on and off in the EVIC, my regular 500 has them. Not as bright as the main headlamps. Certainly not as bright as your main lights.