PDA

View Full Version : Abarth brake pad dusting

Bartman
07-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Can anyone tell me if there's a replacement brake pad available to eliminate brake pad dusting on my 2013 Abarth? I clean the wheels regularly just to get the black dust off the rims and would like to concentrate on taking care of other things on my car. Also, if pads that don't dust are available, can this be done without replacing the rotors or any other part except for the pads themselves? Thanks in advance!

Robert Nixon
07-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I haven't looked into different pads, but have been happy putting some wheel spray on. Once it dries and then gets brake dust, you can pretty much just power wash it off with water.

jguerdat
07-21-2013, 05:49 PM
The Abarth pads are likely more aggressive than the base models which leads to dusting. Not sure why you'd want to hurt braking just because of dust. It's not THAT bad and can easily removed with washing, dusting, etc.

Bartman
07-21-2013, 08:37 PM
The dusting is, in my opinion, worse than expected and I wasn't looking for decreased performance, but rather a step up for better braking with little to no dust. I'm using this car sparingly, not heavy duty track useage.

Tweak
07-21-2013, 08:49 PM
The excessive dust created form the stock pads has been mentioned several times and I have seen many suggest the pads offered by Road Race Motorsports, they seem to work well both on the street and track and they have options IF you eventually decide you would also like to get new rotors. I'm sure there are other vendors as well but these from RRM have recently been mentioned a few times.

Also in case I haven't elsewhere on the forum mentioned it, welcome to the forum.

Bartman
07-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Tweak,
Thanks for that information and thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Tweak
07-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Tweak,
Thanks for that information and thanks for the welcome to the forum.

You're very welcome and I am always glad to help!

Multiple choices depending on your goals and budget. ;)

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=118_122

jguerdat
07-22-2013, 07:08 AM
The dusting is, in my opinion, worse than expected and I wasn't looking for decreased performance, but rather a step up for better braking with little to no dust. I'm using this car sparingly, not heavy duty track useage.

I understand what you're saying but better performance and less dusting don't go hand-in-hand. Less dusting (ala Honda Civic) or more dusting (ala BMW) - which one will stop better? It's just the way it is...

FiatCares
07-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Can anyone tell me if there's a replacement brake pad available to eliminate brake pad dusting on my 2013 Abarth? I clean the wheels regularly just to get the black dust off the rims and would like to concentrate on taking care of other things on my car. Also, if pads that don't dust are available, can this be done without replacing the rotors or any other part except for the pads themselves? Thanks in advance!

You can try to wax the rims or put rain ex on them. Or you can try an aftermarket dust shield