PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on buying new or slighly used Abarth

jessebeetle
07-19-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm torn here. I have a 2010 Subaru WRX with 49k that I want to trade to get an Abarth. Ideally I was looking to get close to an even swap, and I've managed to get pretty close on pricing at a few of the dealerships I've gone to. Here are the two deals I'm looking at:

New 2013 Abarth, White
Only option is the Red stripe / mirror caps

20,495 Abarth
18,500 Trade in
119.70 Tax
298 Doc Fee
92.50 Plates

Used 2013 Abarth, Red, Clean Carfax
5k miles
Black mirror caps / stripes
Comfort and convenience package
Black Ciao Torino wheels

19,500 Abarth
18,500 Trade in
60 Tax
184.50 Tags

I think both are decent deals, and I think I'm getting a good price on my WRX. If you guys were in my situation which would you do? I like both colors and the only requirement I had going into this was a stripe/mirror cap on a non-black car (I won't do another black car after my old Ford Focus). Would you be overly concerned about why someone traded in a car with <5k miles on it? Would you say there's more wiggle room to negotiate on the used Abarth? (I've already tried a counteroffer on the New Abarth, walked out, emailed, haven't gotten a bite in a week on my lower price, so I'm thinking that really is the lowest they will go)

Tweak
07-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I prefer new and would also wonder about a 5K trade, that said it may be a valid reason. I was able to test drive an Abarth when I had my Sport in an Abarth with about 4K on it that has just been traded. Apparently the previous owner bought it and due to some accident that involved his legs he could no longer deal with the manual and had to trade it, really I think they are so close I would personally just go for the new one.

deathshead
07-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Since the cars are so new, its almost nickle and diming buying used.
I would go new, unless you were getting a huge discount.

option #1 I would pick. sounds like a better deal,
I paid $24.9 for my car since I ordered it exactly the way I wanted.

Bianco,
red caps stripes,
beats audio
red leather.
16s.

This same combo now you can find on lots for a few grand less.

Abarth Five O
07-19-2013, 09:59 PM
No brainer: for $.25 more per mile, buy new.

Kurumi
07-19-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm a fan of new as well as getting that lovely lifetime warranty (only if you can get that a bargain basement price).

White Abarth
07-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Depending on how much you drive, the new car's warranty may end up giving you another year of worry-free driving. There's also the Abarth Experience (a "$500 value") that all new Abarth buyers get. It's likely the previously-owned car's event offer was already used... Or maybe not.

Personally, I'd go for the white one. :D

jessebeetle
07-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Glad I made this post. I didn't even factor the warranty or Abarth experience into the equation. This has me leaning toward the new one :-)

Kurumi
07-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Depends in where you are, shop around at other studios as well. Bigger cities tend to have more aggressive pricing

DS Ocampo
07-20-2013, 12:16 AM
They had a 2012 with 3k on it here in az ... Selling for 19 otd... Just sold yesterday ... Lowered Italian emblems on the side some other small MODS also ..

james4513
07-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Bought a great Abarth used (9K mi) for $19K, great deal, great car. Once you've driven the new one around the block, they are the same car.

MADNESSLuckyJay
07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
I'd only say to buy the used one if you really liked the wheels on it. If you like the stock wheels then go new!

Jeepnut
07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
I got off work early today and happened to drive right by the local Studio so I whipped a uturn and decided to check out the Abarths. I have to admit I havent seen an Abarth yet so I really wanted to get hands on with one. They had a some on the lot but I saw the car of my lusty dreams! It was a Rosso 500C Abarth with the white stripe and wheels and the red seats. I was honestly trying to hold out for Alfas return or maybe a new Wrangler but I killed that idea quick! Ive gotta save up more for a down payment so will probably bee first of the year (bummer!) But man I love that little car!

jessebeetle
07-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Made my decision. Put down a deposit down on the new Abarth. It will either be gray with red stripes/mirrors or white with red stripes/mirrors (impartial to either combo, told dealership whichever they can get). I should know tomorrow which color I'm getting. So excited :-)

Kurumi
07-28-2013, 08:04 PM
*cough* White on red on white *cough*

Tweak
07-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Made my decision. Put down a deposit down on the new Abarth. It will either be gray with red stripes/mirrors or white with red stripes/mirrors (impartial to either combo, told dealership whichever they can get). I should know tomorrow which color I'm getting. So excited :-)

Congrats!

*cough* White on red on white *cough*

Not if he wants the best color. :p

djhace
07-29-2013, 01:27 PM
the 17" optional wheels are also a really good deal.

jessebeetle
07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
the 17" optional wheels are also a really good deal.

I love the look of the factory 17's but I figured I could easily sell the stock 16's and Pirellis to pay for at least most of an aftermarket set of tires/wheels, or use the 16's as my winter setup :cool.

vickysfiat
07-29-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm torn here. I have a 2010 Subaru WRX with 49k that I want to trade to get an Abarth. Ideally I was looking to get close to an even swap, and I've managed to get pretty close on pricing at a few of the dealerships I've gone to. Here are the two deals I'm looking at:

New 2013 Abarth, White
Only option is the Red stripe / mirror caps

20,495 Abarth
18,500 Trade in
119.70 Tax
298 Doc Fee
92.50 Plates

Used 2013 Abarth, Red, Clean Carfax
5k miles
Black mirror caps / stripes
Comfort and convenience package
Black Ciao Torino wheels

19,500 Abarth
18,500 Trade in
60 Tax
184.50 Tags

I think both are decent deals, and I think I'm getting a good price on my WRX. If you guys were in my situation which would you do? I like both colors and the only requirement I had going into this was a stripe/mirror cap on a non-black car (I won't do another black car after my old Ford Focus). Would you be overly concerned about why someone traded in a car with <5k miles on it? Would you say there's more wiggle room to negotiate on the used Abarth? (I've already tried a counteroffer on the New Abarth, walked out, emailed, haven't gotten a bite in a week on my lower price, so I'm thinking that really is the lowest they will go)

Not sure where you are. I'm in San Diego. Last year I bought my wife a Pop with automatic. While we waited on the paperwork, I had him toss the keys to an ABARTH and went for a spin. So impressed, that after 9 mos we are a 2 FIAT family. I looked used, and it was tempting, but in the end it did not cost much more to go NEW. Also you never know how bad that orphan has been beat!

As I did before, I went on several dealer websites found the car I wanted and made an offer. Both times the Dealers honored the price we agreed on and it was easy; as VW says... sign and drive.

New one is 2013 Abarth,Grigio w/ 17s, Beats, confort and conv., and that Tom Tom thrown in for free. MSRP $25,700 I paid $21,900.
Originally I was to buy one w/ mirrors and Black stripe. They sold that car on my way up there, but offered a car w/ $650 more equ!p for same cost. I can order the stripe.

QUESTION? To stripe or not to stripe?

Pics and new login to follow. No longer Vicky's Fiat.

jessebeetle
07-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Just got the email. Confirmed, white with red stripes/caps. Should be there tomorrow night for pickup!

Kurumi
07-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Just got the email. Confirmed, white with red stripes/caps. Should be there tomorrow night for pickup!

Good choice man. Though any color you chose would have been a good choice.

chrisnov500
07-29-2013, 06:50 PM
excited to hear!!! congrats! good luck sleep thru the night and work all day tomorrow.
you will find yourself looking at the clock many times a day! :D

Good choice on the color, too!

Jjm4life
07-29-2013, 08:21 PM
You got the right color combo. Congrats

Scot Piza
07-29-2013, 09:27 PM
I think you made the correct choice. There's nothing like buying something brand new and exactly what you want. If you had bought used, there would always be (at least for me) the question of 'what if'?

jessebeetle
07-30-2013, 09:30 PM

Just got back. So excited. The stock 16's are growing on me too. I was expecting them to be an eyesore on this color combo. I'll miss my WRX a little, but this is the car I've been longing for for ages!

Jjm4life
07-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Congrats. I don't mind the 16s either. Sucks they drilled the front plate. I had a body shop fill the holes and respray my fron bumper. What a pain

jessebeetle
07-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Congrats. I don't mind the 16s either. Sucks they drilled the front plate. I had a body shop fill the holes and respray my fron bumper. What a pain

Yeah I honestly didn't even think about the fact that I couldn't just take it off, that they drilled into the bumper. Bummer. Oh well, when the paint starts peeling off above my front Abarth emblem I'll just have them fill and repaint :-P