PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think electric is stupid??

danny_1
07-18-2013, 06:51 PM
My friends have been clowning on me for a while now about my interest in electric vehicles. I know this is an electric sub-forum so I imagine that many people here will think electric is awesome.

But this is new for me. I never thought about electric vehicles until very recently....mostly when gas prices went above $5 per gallon here in California a while ago. And also since I started calculating the long-term costs. Plus I am lazy about certain things and always hated having to go to the gas station (even though it only takes me 5 minutes or less minutes to fill up).

Does anyone here regret their electric vehicle yet? Is the range issue a big deal...ever? I drive about 50 or so miles a day right now. And sometimes more.

Switching to all electric (as I just did) was based mostly on economic factors for me but I would hate it if my friends were right and I ended up not liking it or often being afraid of running out of electricity. Plus I am super-competitive and would basically just hate it if my friends were right and I was wrong :rapture:

Anyhow, just a question for anyone interested in sharing their thoughts. I do sometimes make poor economic decisions...but I just couldn't find a reason not to buy this car right now.

Andree
07-18-2013, 07:09 PM
For you, in your situation, it would have been stupid NOT to buy the 500e.

You can afford it, you can use the rebates, your commute is completely within the range of the vehicle.

And while you weren't going for the humanitarian reasons, they still exist. You're not contributing to pollution in a direct manner. You're not dependent on limited fuel resources. It all matters in a worldwide view. And it really matters pollution-wise. All you have to do is look at a picture of the LA Basin on bad days to see just how much every single vehicle combined makes for unhealthy air.

Ask your friends exactly what their regular commute is. If they're spending the money on gas, and they have the means to get the 500e like you do, I'd kind of think they were being a bit stupid. It's not like they're suddenly going to decide to drive to the southern most point of Argentina. It's out of their range too.

William M Jacocks Jr
07-18-2013, 07:10 PM
I think electric is great! The more people buy those electrics the more that companies will produce them. My wife and I drive too many miles on our cars for electric to be an option, along with the price tag. We have started using hybrids instead. Starting with the Honda Insight for 2000, great little two seater! Averaged 70 MPG with 100's easily reached if you're tailing 18 wheelers and other high drag vehicles on the road. I made sure to stay back far enough and to the side so they can see you. After that, we sold it and bought a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, averaged 39 MPG over 140K miles in 5 years. Both cars were good quality and lasted better than we hoped they would, but we had a few minor accidents that made them not quite so reliable over the long trips my wife takes. She drives 125 miles daily, and does a lot of local driving. She also drives to Memphis once a month or so for her doctoral thesis classes and workgroups. She now drives a 2013 C-Max hybrid and she loves it just as much as she did the 2 hybrids. We both feel that our return on investment might not break even, but we felt that we were supporting the technology and hope that it improves in the future.

Me, I love my Abarth! I would consider a 500e but I don't think they have them in Louisiana.

ReconTopher
07-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I think anyone who gets all macho over a topic just has some insecurity issues. Electric/Hybrids are great.

I had 2 Priuses and just got my Abarth.
I never brought up the "saving the Earth" topics due to the rare materials argument, and basically, I didn't care. The cars were new models, got 50 mpg easy while ripping all over town. They even came with a "power pedal" system, free. I put 30k in one year on my last Prius. I stopped driving so much and have never had a little "race" car and wanted a community in which to meet up and such, plus I wanted a cabrio.

I would consider an electric, but I have a motorcycle as an option and my wife has a 4runner.

danny_1
07-18-2013, 10:30 PM
It isn't that my friends are stupid or even uber-republican. They are, in my opinion, sort of average/regular Americans. I like my friends, obviously. But most of them really do believe that I am being stupid for going all-electric. I mean...maybe they are right. Maybe I am jumping into this a little early. Even if I never really run out of power on the road I wonder if the tiny stress I feel (possibly a couple of times per month) makes me reconsider my decision...

Also, this really cements my opinion that since my friends are pretty typical people and almost all of them think it is a mistake then that is probably a good reason why electrics haven't taken off. Also...the range is a legitimate issue.

I just hope that electrics finally do take off. I hate that we burn gas to get around. I hate that we "have" to go to war in a region that doesn't deserve our disruptive presence. I hate that we are slowed down on alternative energy because of lobbying in congress to slow it down. I hate that we create electricity using fossil fuel. I hate that the biggest companies are basically oil companies (oil...dude...it comes out of the ground...it is a finite resource...thanks for making a ton of money for digging it up and "allowing" us to break the bonds in those oil molecules so we can make a mess of our planet).

Maybe those of us who buy now are just early adopters and maybe it will be a semi-nuisance compared to driving a car that gets 350 miles per tank, but this is the way it is headed...right? Electric really will take off this time, won't it? Not like when we kinda tried it the past 2 times in the last 60 or so years?

Can someone answer these for me: how come there is really only one electric car mfr (Tesla...Fisker is basically dead)? Is it because it is a difficult business to run? Is it tougher than a standard auto mfr?

Anyone remember Aptera? That was such a good idea for a car and it didn't need to go through all the US regulation since it was only a 3-wheel vehicle. How come that didn't make it? Oh yeah...I remember why: someone destroyed that company internally right before they launched. Can't a small start-up make something like that but wait until the last possible moment to go to manufacturing the first model (so that they can incorporate the latest battery technology)?

Sorry for all these questions. I don't expect anyone to really answer...just asking because I wish I knew the answers.

Andree
07-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Hey Danny, did you catch my rambling (aren't they all?) post about the electric/solar/peddle bike/car/thingie?:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10876-Friendly-ELF-quot-egg-bike-quot-%28electric-solar%29

The velomobile (I don't even know what that means, heh) is more along the lines of what I'd need for basic transport. The cost is a little steep, for me, more than the 500e is for you. But it's a brilliant idea.

I'm disabled, and probably wouldn't be pedaling much. But as it is, it could easily get me to and from the store. Well, if I had a plug or generous amounts of sunshine. Or better still, a battery "suitcase" that I am capable of lifting to carry into the apartment to charge inside.

I don't usually need to get anywhere fast (except for cat emergencies). I'm fine with taking residential streets as much as possible to get where I'm going. I can easily keep in the speed limit range of about 20 mph in that vehicle. I'm not an aggressive driver, certainly don't care much about tearing around anywhere fast.

I just basically need to get to and from the grocery store and doctor appointments. That's it. That's my transport needs. Cabs are too expensive. Buses don't go from where I am to where I want to be. And buses are hard to get in/out and jerk around my back way too much. Painful.

But in my mindset, there is still the distant thought of "what if"...what if I need to drive farther? As much as it would be great to travel, my back won't put up with my dish washing, let alone traveling the world. I can't even travel the mall. LOL.

I really don't NEED as much car as I have. It's awfully pricey just for getting to and from the store. Even the ELF is pricey for getting to and from the store. But it could provide what I need, basic protection from the elements, the ability to get more supplies home than I could carry by hand walking, and more than I could push in my folding grocery cart. I could also go the same distances that I currently do in my car with the little car/bike.

They're a small start up. They went through Kickstarter. They're looking into ways of getting the vehicles out and about. Check out my posts in the other thread, then check out their website and all their articles. You can get in touch with them via their website. I asked the Rob fella a bunch of questions on Twitter, and he didn't respond. You talk to him. You send him an email, ask him some of the questions you asked here. Send it via the investors email address.

THAT is something I'd want to look into, because of the obvious advantage of being able to "fill up" daily without electricity at all. It's cheap enough that many folks could get into it, for basic needs, basic dignity. And, if used ONLY in the seasons that the vehicle is practical in, it's still a saver for most people. It also has HUGE business applications. Let me know what you think.

danny_1
07-19-2013, 12:00 AM
It looks like they don't really have a great electric option..unless I didn't understand it very well. And why is it so crazy expensive if it is just a bike that is basically weather proof?

I am pretty sure that a weather-proof electric bicycle that goes 30 mph could be built for less than $4000 if a group of awesome engineers with tons of experience were to design it. You don't need a ton of range if you're only going 30mph max so you can save on battery costs (and weight).

ReconTopher
07-19-2013, 01:01 AM
I think Big Oil and the car companies put all the electric cars out of business. "Who killed the electric car" was a great movie. They've been around for a long time. America is politically lazy, we don't demand anything, we keep letting the few run the many.

danny_1
07-19-2013, 01:11 AM
I think big oil did play a role as well as other groups. Such a shame that we are screwed over so that a handful can benefit. But it is unlikely that this will ever change. We are human, after all. And we all want what is best for us, personally.

Andree
07-19-2013, 03:34 AM
I think big oil did play a role as well as other groups. Such a shame that we are screwed over so that a handful can benefit. But it is unlikely that this will ever change. We are human, after all. And we all want what is best for us, personally.

Have you ever played The Sims games? I think you should. You know all about you, and may assume everyone else is similar. I know I used to, and really never quite "got it" until playing the game. School studies, examples, news stories, all a waste until the game came along.

How people are, individually affects their entire being. You say you're competitive, and I'm not. People in the game may think about WINNING a game against so and so. They have all sorts of wishes based on their temperament. People who are workaholics and NEED to work at home and go to work and get promotions, etc. They think about it all. the. time.

I don't necessarily need or want the "best". It depends on what you're referring to. I want adequate, enough to get by. And I want it for all people. Not just me. And I don't want anything if it hurts others in the process.

--

The bike I linked to is basically a $5000 solar charged electric car. It doesn't run on fuel or electricity, it can run from the sun alone. It doesn't require balance, so it can be used by people like me with physical pain/mobility problems to get around town at a fraction of the cost of a car. No insurance is another big savings that can be hard on people with limited means. I can't balance or pedal. I usually try to sit perfectly still for extended periods of time so as not to aggravate my various problems.

Secondly, the car can become part of your home power plant. If you have solar, which can give you credits against your bill, the car too could be charging from the sun and then feeding back into the power grid. In times of no power, it can be your backup source.

And, if they have it set up so that the bike can be stationary and a person can pedal in place, generating energy, either for the car or other devices, it makes the car more useful.

I like useful things with multiple purposes that could be embraced by folks who don't have enough. Or by folks who have plenty, but choose to make a difference.

Because *I* want what is best for all the people. What good is being happy if others are still suffering?

Ryephile
07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
I love electric propulsion. :) I raced electric R/C cars for many years and always loved their insane low-end torque, quietness, and cleanliness versus their relatively slow and noisy gas/nitromethane powered counterparts.

My last DD was a Prius C. Most of my less-experienced car buddies thought I was insane, but I enjoyed it because you can drive around in certain circumstances on electric-only, which I appreciate From a drivers perspective, the two things I found missing [from what I'm used to] were a gear-shift and clutch pedal. I crave the interaction with the car, so not having that ultimately pushed me back in to a manual trans car, which was either something new/fun or one of the Honda manual-trans hybirds.

The lack of gas-pump-quick recharging in electric vehicles is less of a daily concern than most people want to accept. The gasoline infrastructure gives you the freedom to travel the entire country on a whim. The electric infrastructure allows the same, but it'll take significantly longer to recharge the car since your average 15 Amp 115 Volt wall socket will take forever to recharge a decent capacity battery pack. All that said, most people's lives aren't that globe-trotting, and a 100-ish mile range is everything we need to accomplish their daily life. Those of us that do take road trips and/or frequent long distance trips? We do need a car with either more range or a better quick-charge infrastructure. I do like the idea of a range-extending generator [e.g. Chevy Volt and upcoming BMW i3], where you can charge from the grid 99% of the time and use the gas generator to get long distances when it's occasionally needed.

I feel the market will be in flux for the foreseeable future, or until someone bellys up and puts electric quick-charging stations across the street from the gas stations. Or maybe a total revamp of our "refueling" stations: Electric, Gasoline [et al], Bio-Diesel, and Bio-Ethanol.

William M Jacocks Jr
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Tesla is already installing quick charge stations all over California. That is only the beginning.

shagghie
07-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Personally, I don't think we are there yet WRT EV's having any significant advantages over combustion engines. There's no such thing as a free ride; EV's net impact to the environment is still slightly worse than combustion vehicles given current battery technology. The best study I've found so far on cradle-to-grave impact is this one, whose summary concludes:
"We provide a new level of transparency and detail to the ongoing public discussion on the life cycle merits of EVs relative ICEVs. The production, use, and end of life of these two technologies were inventoried in a manner ensuring an appropriate comparison. The production phase of EVs proved substantially more environmentally intensive. Nonetheless, substantial overall improvements in regard to GWP, TAP, and other impacts may be achieved by EVs powered with appropriate energy sources relative to comparable ICEVs. However, it is counterproductive to promote EVs in regions where electricity is produced from oil, coal, and lignite combustion. The electrification of transportation should be accompanied by a sharpened policy focus with regard to life cycle management, and thus counter potential setbacks in terms of water pollution and toxicity. EVs are poised to link the personal transportation sector together with the electricity, the electronic, and the metal industry sectors in an unprecedented way. Therefore the developments of these sectors must be jointly and consistently addressed in order for EVs to contribute positively to pollution mitigation efforts."

ref: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00532.x/full

Again, this is a personal opinion, but until EV's actually help improve the environmental impact of transportation, I'm not willing to sacrifice the driving pleasure and convenience of owning a combustion engine. While some say the quiet nature of EV's is a good counter to noise pollution, I personally like the sound of motors whizzing around all day, Honda glass-packs aside of course.

msjulie33
07-19-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm hopeful that companies like Tesla (and others 'forced' into it like Fiat, etc wanting to sell in Ca) will, with early adopters, make electric cars ho-hum ordinary like gas/diesel cars are now. Someday I'm hoping my 500 will be a 500e with a solar cell roof that charges my car for free all day. That will be tricky given my current 500 is a 'c' but you know what I mean :)

Andree
07-19-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm hopeful that companies like Tesla (and others 'forced' into it like Fiat, etc wanting to sell in Ca) will, with early adopters, make electric cars ho-hum ordinary like gas/diesel cars are now. Someday I'm hoping my 500 will be a 500e with a solar cell roof that charges my car for free all day. That will be tricky given my current 500 is a 'c' but you know what I mean :)

Yup, I like the solar charging, even if it is a slight trickle charge.

There is solar cell fabric:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell_fabric

Depending on how it advances and who does what, it could possibly be used on interior fabric in your car, in the convertible roof, in sunshades when you park your car, or in a car cover.

Here's one on the solar fabric (not the one I was looking for though):
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/07/01/solar.textiles/

Wait, keyword at the bottom of that article, this is what I was looking for:
http://www.ecogeek.org/component/content/article/1754

It could be used in window blinds too, or curtains, which would be a great thing for commercial buildings. Oh, already done:
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/intelligent-energy/a-double-duty-solar-window/7337

I'd like to see them work on floor tiles too, indoor and outdoor. Just plug in your car to your front walkway for extra charging!

msjulie33
07-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Neat stuff!

madbyrd
07-19-2013, 10:50 PM
My son and his wife have had two Prius's then traded the oldest for a Volt. It was a month of driving and 2000 miles before he approached a gas station. He has had it for 15 months now and lifetime mileage is 104 mpg. they live in CT and he has a phone app that he uses to locate restaurants and stores with charging stations. He also installed a 220V charging station in his garage to cut charge time to 4 hours vs. the 10 hours on 110V. Charge cost with the highest electric rates in US is about $1.25 which nets about 30-40 miles on straight electric. His commute is 12 miles to work, so easily does round trip daily. They received a $7500 rebate in 2012 for the purchase of the $35000 car.

My commute is 40 miles to work and I drive during the day on the job. So I settle for the 45mpg hwy mileage that I get on my 500 Pop automatic. Lifetime after 32000 miles is 39.6 mpg.

Do what you feel is right for your situation and do not let the critics get you down.

Raindrops
07-19-2013, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=danny_1;619235]My friends have been clowning on me for a while now about my interest in electric vehicles. I know this is an electric sub-forum so I imagine that many people here will think electric is awesome.

But this is new for me. I never thought about electric vehicles until very recently....mostly when gas prices went above $5 per gallon here in California a while ago. And also since I started calculating the long-term costs. Plus I am lazy about certain things and always hated having to go to the gas station (even though it only takes me 5 minutes or less minutes to fill up).

Does anyone here regret their electric vehicle yet? Is the range issue a big deal...ever? I drive about 50 or so miles a day right now. And sometimes more.

With the Fiat, you get 12 days of renting ICE cars.. so you could still make your long trips. But to your point, of whether this Battery Technology is for real... well, Tesla is trying to make a go of it... the Oil companies will do their best to make sure they squeeze every profit out of the last drop of oil and fight it all the way (or rather, if they have a stake in making money in the BEV world, then they will stop fighting it.. money makes the world go round..) At some point though the pollution issues will become a problem and I suspect some of the 3rd world countries (is that still a PC term) will just bypass the ICE and go to electric or some other alternative fuel (like Aruba, though that is not 3rd world)... just like with the landline phones and cell phones...

I do think the BEV technology as it is today is not sustainable.. these batteries have a limited shelf life.. but it is a first step... and the technology is changing so fast, maybe a super small longer lasting battery will be created... in the meantime, I believe Toyota is hedging on the electric, and going to hydrogen or fuel cell (something like that)... Honda is not in all the way either.. but other companies, like BMW is coming up with another solution .... they have that range extender thingie that takes some of the range anxiety out of the electrics.. that is a very real problem (of course you can always find a plug somewhere but at what time to recharge)... for instance, if you are stuck in traffic or lost.. that could easily eat up your range.. with a gas car, most people never worry because a gas station is not far.. with an electric, you would think twice or thrice before taking an alternate route... so yes, your friends have a point but just for a short time.. these next few years will be interesting.. I think Chevy and Ford with their plug in s are sort of an in between option for those who make lots of short trips and can use the limited electric range but the BMW ie may be the first step toward making a true electric that allows people more flexibility.

Of course, if this electric world did take off, then the utility companies would have us by the shorthairs! Right now the oil companies do.. who isn't sick of gas prices going up because demand is low, or demand is high.. can't win for losing.. you will very happy never having to go pump gas again (except for your long trips)

Andree
07-20-2013, 02:41 AM
I have no idea how to do a "multi-quote", if someone could post instructions, I'd love it.

Raindrops said: "...the landline phones and cell phones..."

It makes sense to go directly to the cell phones, in developing countries. The ability to charge a phone from solar is very easy. For me at home, I use cell phone for short calls (I have one of the kind that I keep having to add money to, and I need to use up the time). The land line is for those calls where I know I'm going to be on hold and pressing buttons trying to get some kind of information or to get through to an actual person. I use the most effective item for each specific call.

As far as the electric, as the leaps and bounds are made with the batteries, so do improvements with solar. So that you can use solar to charge batteries, both within the car and outside the car.

For instance, let's say there becomes available a refrigerator sized battery, for household usage. You use your solar to charge that battery, and it's constantly charging that battery during daylight hours. Once it's full, it can then be used as the primary power source for basics in the home, or feed the grid, or charge the car.

Mix that in with the other ideas, such as the solar fabrics, panels, things that can be used on/in the car. The car can be charging itself via solar, and once it's full, charge back into the household battery system.

Making a system that can charge back and forth, depending on what is needed at the time. Everything plugging into everything else, with power going both ways.

Windy areas have the bonus of vertical wind turbines, that don't make flickering, and can work 24/7.

Andree
07-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Many of the possible electric scenarios can be paired with planned housing, such as Drake Landing solar community:
http://www.dlsc.ca/

This is especially fascinating, how the stored heat is distributed throughout all homes:
http://www.dlsc.ca/district.htm

Every home has solar panels, both on the house itself and the garage solar collectors.

danny_1
07-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Raindrop, I basically agree with what you wrote. And I think the landline/cellphone adoption in 3rd world countries was a good analogy. Maybe that will happen in those countries instead of everyone having a gas car or truck.

Regarding the electric companies: I think that the technology in alternative energies is moving very quickly and I am pretty sure that most middle class families will be able to have some home option for all of their electricity and it will cost maybe $10k (batteries and solar or whatever). Maybe I'm wrong but I think that will eventually happen so I wouldn't be too concerned about electric companies (which are also sort of semi-government entities).

I like my 500e so far. Yes, I believe that the total pollution it will have created is roughly equivalent to a gas car now but I believe that newer models will be better and you have to start somewhere so at least Fiat started.

Oh...also my opinion on the "shelf-life" of current batteries: I am pretty sure that the prices will come down on replacement batteries for significantly lower prices by the time a Fiat battery in the first gen has lost 20% of it's original range and has come out of warranty. In other words, this battery is probably good for 8-10 years then you can replace it if you want at a much lower price.

Tweak
07-20-2013, 10:19 PM
I have no idea how to do a "multi-quote", if someone could post instructions, I'd love it.

Raindrops said: "...the landline phones and cell phones..."

It makes sense to go directly to the cell phones, in developing countries. The ability to charge a phone from solar is very easy. For me at home, I use cell phone for short calls (I have one of the kind that I keep having to add money to, and I need to use up the time). The land line is for those calls where I know I'm going to be on hold and pressing buttons trying to get some kind of information or to get through to an actual person. I use the most effective item for each specific call.

As far as the electric, as the leaps and bounds are made with the batteries, so do improvements with solar. So that you can use solar to charge batteries, both within the car and outside the car.

For instance, let's say there becomes available a refrigerator sized battery, for household usage. You use your solar to charge that battery, and it's constantly charging that battery during daylight hours. Once it's full, it can then be used as the primary power source for basics in the home, or feed the grid, or charge the car.

Mix that in with the other ideas, such as the solar fabrics, panels, things that can be used on/in the car. The car can be charging itself via solar, and once it's full, charge back into the household battery system.

Making a system that can charge back and forth, depending on what is needed at the time. Everything plugging into everything else, with power going both ways.

Windy areas have the bonus of vertical wind turbines, that don't make flickering, and can work 24/7.

On the right bottom where it says Reply With Quote... the little icon right beside it (mouse over it and the tooltip will say Multi-Quote This Message), click it and a check mark will appear, do that for every one of the quotes you wish to include in the multi-quote and for the last one click the actual Reply With Quote and you will have all the checked plus the last included and you can post replies to each or just reply at the end of the text field to all at once. ;)

Andree
07-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Raindrop, I basically agree with what you wrote. And I think the landline/cellphone adoption in 3rd world countries was a good analogy. Maybe that will happen in those countries instead of everyone having a gas car or truck.

Regarding the electric companies: I think that the technology in alternative energies is moving very quickly and I am pretty sure that most middle class families will be able to have some home option for all of their electricity and it will cost maybe $10k (batteries and solar or whatever). Maybe I'm wrong but I think that will eventually happen so I wouldn't be too concerned about electric companies (which are also sort of semi-government entities).

I like my 500e so far. Yes, I believe that the total pollution it will have created is roughly equivalent to a gas car now but I believe that newer models will be better and you have to start somewhere so at least Fiat started.

Oh...also my opinion on the "shelf-life" of current batteries: I am pretty sure that the prices will come down on replacement batteries for significantly lower prices by the time a Fiat battery in the first gen has lost 20% of it's original range and has come out of warranty. In other words, this battery is probably good for 8-10 years then you can replace it if you want at a much lower price.

On the right bottom where it says Reply With Quote... the little icon right beside it (mouse over it and the tooltip will say Multi-Quote This Message), click it and a check mark will appear, do that for every one of the quotes you wish to include in the multi-quote and for the last one click the actual Reply With Quote and you will have all the checked plus the last included and you can post replies to each or just reply at the end of the text field to all at once. ;)

It grabs the entire text of the posts. I thought I could just highlight what I wanted to quote and then click the multi quote button.

So I have to manually edit out what I don't want?

And I can't quote two different parts of the same post from the same person by highlighting anything, I have to copy and paste the same post quoted already, and then edit out the parts I don't want in the first and second post?

example:

On the right bottom where it says Reply With Quote...
blah blah blah, your right or my right, blah blah comment on first part of quote

click it and a check mark will appear
blah blah blah, comment on check marks.

Right?

Tweak
07-21-2013, 09:14 PM
It grabs the entire text of the posts. I thought I could just highlight what I wanted to quote and then click the multi quote button.

So I have to manually edit out what I don't want?

And I can't quote two different parts of the same post from the same person by highlighting anything, I have to copy and paste the same post quoted already, and then edit out the parts I don't want in the first and second post?

example:

blah blah blah, your right or my right, blah blah comment on first part of quote

blah blah blah, comment on check marks.

Right?

No highlighting and it will require editing, I often remove content and only leave the portion to which I wish to make my reply. Hope this has been helpful, I see William seems to have found the info handy. :cool:

Andree
07-21-2013, 10:00 PM
No highlighting and it will require editing, I often remove content and only leave the portion to which I wish to make my reply. Hope this has been helpful, I see William seems to have found the info handy. :cool:

It IS helpful, and I'm sorry I didn't click the "Thanks" right away. My mind was in puzzle mode, figuring things out. It's pure puzzle mode.

This is one of those kinds of things that you could make a tutorial post about, so it's where everyone can find it. As I'd never used a multi-quote feature before, I had NO idea how to use it. I'm sure many folks would use it more often if they knew how!

Thank you Tweak for your help. :)

Tweak
07-22-2013, 07:50 PM
It IS helpful, and I'm sorry I didn't click the "Thanks" right away. My mind was in puzzle mode, figuring things out. It's pure puzzle mode.

This is one of those kinds of things that you could make a tutorial post about, so it's where everyone can find it. As I'd never used a multi-quote feature before, I had NO idea how to use it. I'm sure many folks would use it more often if they knew how!

Thank you Tweak for your help. :)

Happy to help, as for the "Thanks" button, it's of no issue, I always like to reply to a post with a typed thank you or even send a PM on occasion to say thanks so I never use that button but I appreciate it. I mentioned William found it helpful as it occurred to me although directed the info to you it might be worth a tutorial. I thought of that last night and now that you've suggested it this makes even more sense! Maybe I can find one already typed out that is better than I can explain it and utilize that so no one is confused in case I do not explain it well, or maybe I just do some pics like I did before to make it easier. Thanks again and happy to have been of assistance!