PDA

View Full Version : Drawtite 24873 receiver hitch for the gas 500 fits the 500e great

tpoltron
07-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi There,

I'm an avid cyclist and love tray hitch racks to carry my bike(s) so I ordered the hitch for the gas 500 and it fits great on the 500e. The receiver hole just peeks out from under the rear bumper and fits snug up under the rear air dam without cutting. The install was easier than for the gas version cause you don't have to drop the spare tire or muffler - though I did have to cut off the excess tail of an intruding bolt and pry the hitch around quite a bit to get all the holes to line up.

Also these hitches seem to come with one wrong bolt (for any 500), a M10 that should be a M8 x1.25 30mm as per the instructions.

Links, instructions and even video:
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1005&part=24873
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Fiat/500/2013/24873.html?vehicleid=2013307584

Enjoy,
Trent

Ryephile
07-18-2013, 04:36 PM
That's cool, thanks for sharing. :)

I read the thread title and got a picture in my head of a 500e hauling something like an Airstream trailer. LOL That would be a sight.

tpoltron
07-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Here pics with the bike on the hitch rack.
Works well.

tpoltron
07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Whenever I put my rack on I got my hands dirty from exhaust soot on it since it sat behind the exhaust pipe of my old A3. I never cleaned it cause it would just get dirty again right? Then I remembered there is no more exhaust on the 500e, so I gave the rack a good scrub and look forward to less black mess!

GreyBarth
07-25-2013, 02:06 AM
what is the name of the rack manufacturer what yer bike is on? Those are pretty cool.

tpoltron
07-25-2013, 03:32 AM
Www.1upUSA.com
Awesome racks.
That one is actually a roof tray bolted through and around a ball carrier but they make slick purpose built hitch racks as well.
Regards,
Trent

ChrisMac
11-18-2013, 01:34 PM
If i wanted to pull a trailer, do you know how easy it is to install the wiring kit for trailer lights? Anyone out there done this?

Doohickie
01-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the endorsement. I just have a regular 500 Sport, but I just went ahead and ordered the 24873. I picked up a bike rack cheap from a warehouse yesterday. I should be all set to carry bikes soon.

msofen
07-28-2014, 09:45 PM
I just got a 2014 500e and have been scouring the internet for a "best" hitch for it, not a lot of 500e-specific hitch info out there, but you gave me a great starting point. Also an avid cyclist, also a 1UpUSA bike rack owner! I have their normal hitch mount rack, and also carry both my Niner mountain bike and various road/tri bikes to training and events, on my "normal" car (a VW Golf TDI). Am really looking forward to installing the hitch and seeing how the whole thing works. Thanks again for providing a great "it can be done".

msofen
08-16-2014, 05:55 PM
I just got a 2014 500e and have been scouring the internet for a "best" hitch for it, not a lot of 500e-specific hitch info out there, but you gave me a great starting point. Also an avid cyclist, also a 1UpUSA bike rack owner! I have their normal hitch mount rack, and also carry both my Niner mountain bike and various road/tri bikes to training and events, on my "normal" car (a VW Golf TDI). Am really looking forward to installing the hitch and seeing how the whole thing works. Thanks again for providing a great "it can be done".

Finally installed the hitch last weekend, used it this weekend to haul my MTB bike out to Black Mountain for training, worked perfectly. The INSTALL was not perfect, however.

My first attempt to install ran into the interference from frame bolts that a number of folks mentioned, but I refused to cut off the protruding bolts. After wrangling the thing around for an hour, gave up, emailed etrailer.com support (where I got it), and they had nothing new to offer except for, "it SHOULD fit, we haven't run into that before". Really? I wasn't going to throw in the towel, however, so last Sat I dedicated however long it might take, and through sheer grit, managed to get all of the bolts installed without cutting those dang interfering frame bolts. It took a LOT of muscle power to do so. To top it off, the one smaller bolt that threads into an existing captive nut on the passenger side of the frame does not fit (like other folks have mentioned). I bought an 8mm x 1.00, that didn't fit either. That small bolt doesn't carry much so I'm not going to worry about it for now. The second attempt took an hour. I've installed 5 other hitches, typical is 20 minutes.

Now that it's installed, like other posters, I'm pleased that it is high (doesn't lower the ground clearance at all) and visually unobtrusive. The combo of hitch and bike rack really is a winning combo on an "E" car!