PDA

View Full Version : New owner (sort of!), Bellissimo's Introduction!

Bellissimo
07-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Well, usually I post to forums right away after joining but in the case of my Abarth, I had hoped to wait until I had installed my Pioneer head unit to keep any photos I attached from looking like a basic "out-of-the-box" Fiat 500. One thing led to another, and the further it went the more mods I wanted to get done before posting my first ever introduction. After 4 months, I am finally at the point that I need to say hello. Primarily due to Ryphile's (excellent as always) step-by-step description of my suspension upgrade.

I, like Ryephile, live in Michigan Ann Arbor proper for me. I recently turned 50, and after a decade of driving a perfectly competent, if not a little vanilla, Infiniti G35, the siren call to return to a sports car was too much to resist. I had owned a couple smaller, sporty cars in my distant past (Toyota MR2 turbo, CRX si) and a motorcycle or two (Honda Blackbird and Yamaha Seca Turbo) but hadn't had the pleasure of driving any recently given kids, mortgages, moves, etc. This Fiat is the PERFECT remedy to that itch quite an original little import that screams baddass while getting you to whatever your destination flying under the "give me a ticket please" radar! The fact that my wife is 1/2 Italian makes it that much more appropriate.

As Ryan mentions in the thread he created, I wanted to make a small number of upgrades to what is obviously already a fantastic little driving gem; the suspension obviously, along with a bit of the intake/throttle bits out there, and a new head unit. All of these are listed in my signature below and I will try and figure out the "Garage" deal and post up pics of my own as soon as I can.

I did want to list some folks that I am indebted to beyond words for their help, IMs, information, etc.

First and foremost, Ryphile. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a fellow Abarth owner like him nearby! He first came all the way to my home to help figure out the wiring for my Pioneer unit as he had recently done a similar install himself (and has since plowed past my small improvement with massive ones of his own) and also "flashed" the wiring harness to eliminate the odometer problem so many have experienced. I began to pick his brain about suspension set-ups as I slowly put together how much this guy knows about cars and ways to improve them. Not only did he help with recommendations for a great set-up, he offered to install them for me when I asked if he knew any good installers locally! His work yesterday was AMAZING; just the nicest person you could know I feel privileged to have his assistance!

Another poster (screen name Rickko on the "other" site) was essential in helping me figure out the whole removing the front bumper deal. One of the biggest things forums like these are great for are in seeing how folks fix/mod things on their rides, and in posting pics/descriptions, etc. help other immeasurably in doing the same. His write-up of swapping the 500T lights (with, again, some tips by Rye) made all the difference.

Joseph at 500 Madness; what a dude! I have made probably 3-4 orders with his guidance, and he never hesitates to go the extra mile to make sure things are right and that the customer (even a small one like myself) if 100% satisfied; a treasure for any employer!

There are dozens of others, with posts filled with excellent reviews, pictures, tips, etc. that have helped me hugely in making my Abarth what it is today; my thanks to all of you! I look forward to posting regularly now that my initial (and exceedingly lengthy) introduction has been made!

Cheers,
Kev

Tweak
07-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Well let me sort of officially say welcome to the forum. :p

Modding is an addiction and with the 500 maybe even more than usual from what I have seen of owners that have went 30-40 yrs without modding a car to being semi-obsessed with modding their 500. :cool:

500ways
07-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Well, usually I post to forums right away after joining but in the case of my Abarth, I had hoped to wait until I had installed my Pioneer head unit to keep any photos I attached from looking like a basic "out-of-the-box" Fiat 500. One thing led to another, and the further it went the more mods I wanted to get done before posting my first ever introduction. After 4 months, I am finally at the point that I need to say hello. Primarily due to Ryphile's (excellent as always) step-by-step description of my suspension upgrade.

I, like Ryephile, live in Michigan Ann Arbor proper for me. I recently turned 50, and after a decade of driving a perfectly competent, if not a little vanilla, Infiniti G35, the siren call to return to a sports car was too much to resist. I had owned a couple smaller, sporty cars in my distant past (Toyota MR2 turbo, CRX si) and a motorcycle or two (Honda Blackbird and Yamaha Seca Turbo) but hadn't had the pleasure of driving any recently given kids, mortgages, moves, etc. This Fiat is the PERFECT remedy to that itch quite an original little import that screams baddass while getting you to whatever your destination flying under the "give me a ticket please" radar! The fact that my wife is 1/2 Italian makes it that much more appropriate.

As Ryan mentions in the thread he created, I wanted to make a small number of upgrades to what is obviously already a fantastic little driving gem; the suspension obviously, along with a bit of the intake/throttle bits out there, and a new head unit. All of these are listed in my signature below and I will try and figure out the "Garage" deal and post up pics of my own as soon as I can.

I did want to list some folks that I am indebted to beyond words for their help, IMs, information, etc.

First and foremost, Ryphile. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a fellow Abarth owner like him nearby! He first came all the way to my home to help figure out the wiring for my Pioneer unit as he had recently done a similar install himself (and has since plowed past my small improvement with massive ones of his own) and also "flashed" the wiring harness to eliminate the odometer problem so many have experienced. I began to pick his brain about suspension set-ups as I slowly put together how much this guy knows about cars and ways to improve them. Not only did he help with recommendations for a great set-up, he offered to install them for me when I asked if he knew any good installers locally! His work yesterday was AMAZING; just the nicest person you could know I feel privileged to have his assistance!

Another poster (screen name Rickko on the "other" site) was essential in helping me figure out the whole removing the front bumper deal. One of the biggest things forums like these are great for are in seeing how folks fix/mod things on their rides, and in posting pics/descriptions, etc. help other immeasurably in doing the same. His write-up of swapping the 500T lights (with, again, some tips by Rye) made all the difference.

Joseph at 500 Madness; what a dude! I have made probably 3-4 orders with his guidance, and he never hesitates to go the extra mile to make sure things are right and that the customer (even a small one like myself) if 100% satisfied; a treasure for any employer!

There are dozens of others, with posts filled with excellent reviews, pictures, tips, etc. that have helped me hugely in making my Abarth what it is today; my thanks to all of you! I look forward to posting regularly now that my initial (and exceedingly lengthy) introduction has been made!

Cheers,
Kev

Welcome! Be sure to post up some pictures of your baby.

Ryephile
07-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Great introduction Kevin! :) Thanks for the compliments; I'm glad that we've had the opportunity to hang out a few times and do good ole car stuff.