PDA

View Full Version : The Fast Lane Car 500L review`

ciddyguy
07-17-2013, 12:11 AM
This is the YouTube video for the Fast Lane Car (www.TFLcar.com (http://www.TFLcar.com)) whereby Nathan, one of the two hosts (the other is Roman) who did his review of the 500L, an Easy with the DDCT transmission. It had the white roof with sunroof, and Beats audio package.

They shoot their videos in Denver Colorado, or in the surrounding areas, thus have to deal with the high altitude which knocks some of the HP out of any vehicle in the area to some extent.

Anyway, he did a good review, being as hard as he was on it, he really liked it, but can't totally get past the car's looks so he recommends you rent it. However, I happen to like it so I'd buy it, but that's just me. :-)

Anyway, here is the clip to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZx8bSGOv0

Andree
07-17-2013, 03:55 AM
This guy is great! Exhaust sounds GOOD. After watching this, I too want a Fiat Luigi with Cannoli trim.

He looks like a big guy when he's outside the car, and then he shrinks when he's inside the car. It has that much room inside.

I've tried like six times and two browsers to get the video to play all the way through. Oh well.

I got past the seven minute mark, so I saw most of it. Oh, how I wish I had need of a larger vehicle. It's a really neat car!

Felnus
07-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Overall, a good review. The issue with 500L's looks is that it doesn't look like anything else on the road. I think that is a good thing. My 500 still causes heads to whip around as I drive around town and the 500L will do the same thing. They look much better in the real world than they do in pictures or video.

ciddyguy
07-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Overall, a good review. The issue with 500L's looks is that it doesn't look like anything else on the road. I think that is a good thing. My 500 still causes heads to whip around as I drive around town and the 500L will do the same thing. They look much better in the real world than they do in pictures or video.

I totally agree, both cars are distinctive, though I DO have to confess, at certain angles, and when you can't fully see the back, both the 500, and MINI can be confused from a distance, due to several styling cues looking similar, IE, the tailights, and the chrome lip over the license plate.

The difference is, when you can fully see their rear ends, is the MINI is more square shaped, meaning the roof is almost as wide as it's lower portion, whereas the Fiat, kind of looks like it grew fat in the hips.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just how I have come to think of the shape of the Fiat from a square on rear end glance, which, again makes it distinctive.

Many people don't understand the double A pillar (technically, the most forward one is the actual A pillar) and why it's there, and it's not really explained much by the media.

I also agree that the car's looks aren't done justice in photos, or in videos, due to the nature of the mediums.

That said, even in real life, the car is one that many will totally love it for what it is, others just won't get it.

ciddyguy
07-17-2013, 10:00 AM
That is, while Nathan did a 0-60 time, the point wasn't that it was a 0-60 time vehicle, but to demonstrate that it is a capable vehicle, despite its small displacement motor and its curb weight.

Even he says, that with his wife, and 2 kids and all the crap that goes along with being a small, young family, the car continues to hustle just fine, even up in high elevations, such as Colorado.

It's a testament to how versatile the 1.4 motor truly is. The basic block design, stemming from the early Oughts (2003 or so), and updated with the Multi-Air timing system, it truly is a fantastic motor, and very versatile, and loves to rev, though as Nathan says, you gotta hit 3500-4Krpm to get at the peak power. Notice he was shifting at just shy of redline. This was the DDCT tranny too, so yes, you can rev it that high when in manual mode, something I was told by the dealer, and even he recommended the manual. Interestingly enough in Europe, the 500 still doesn't get the Multi-Air variant of this motor. it still is saddled with the fixed timed 16V version. However, I believe this motor IS found in a few, select upper priced cars from Alfa Romeo and/or Lancia, and may be in the Dart and a few Chryco cars sold in Europe, or as Fiats.

Overall, this is a car that most will either get it, or they won't. I just happen to get it, and see it being able to convey whatever the new owner wants it to be. Drop it a tad, put larger, wider tires on it, stiffen up the suspension a bit, and it can be even more of a canyon carver than it is now (though the trekking does kind of look like they've done that to an extent).

Clearly, Fiat has done their homework on both cars, are either perfect? No, and that is what makes them so much fun, they have quirks, and thus, they have soul.

luckymoi
07-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I watched it with the sound off, you sure this guy is not Italian?
What a hoot.
Last oil change I looked one over, a clever car to be sure.
The paint on the emerald green is superb.