PDA

View Full Version : Winter tires

SLCAbarth
07-16-2013, 09:35 PM
I recently purchased a 2013 Abarth that came with 17" rims and 3 season Pirelli tires. What tires are recommended for winter use as we get a lot of snow in Salt Lake City, Utah?

07-16-2013, 10:24 PM
I recently purchased a 2013 Abarth that came with 17" rims and 3 season Pirelli tires. What tires are recommended for winter use as we get a lot of snow in Salt Lake City, Utah?

Canadian snowbelt here and after last winter Id 100% recommend Pirelli SnowControl2s. I bought them from Tire Rack, $88 each and they were rock solid, quiet ride and gripped incredibly. You cant go wrong with these.

Oh search the forum, we did the winter tire denate to death over the cold season!!

wilbmeister
07-19-2013, 10:07 PM
I am using Bridgestone Blizzaks and they are great! They went well on ice and snow. We get 200+ inches of snow every winter. I wound up putting the Blizzaks on my original 17" wheels and putting the P Zeros on new wheels. I got the new wheels and the snow tires from Tire Rack. As mentioned above, it has been well debated and you will find good choices for winter driving.

SLCAbarth
07-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I think I will try the 16"Ciao rims with Pirelli snowcontrol tires as suggested in another post. Do you think 16" rims are noticeably better than the supplied 17" rims?

07-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Only benefit I noticed was price! Youll see my pictures in another thread with that exact set up, and half with 17s and you cant tell the difference visually and I cant imagine the handling difference is anything but marginal. We get a lot of snow here in Ontarios snow belt, you WONT be disappointed with the choice. I had more compliments on the Vernazzas than stock wheels, just wish I could change the centre caps!

wilbmeister
07-20-2013, 11:19 PM
I have the Ciao wheels in 17". I have tried to find new center caps that fit but no luck. They are the same size centers as the 16" stock wheels but the center post on the stock center caps is about 1/8 inch short.

07-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Thinking about getting Boris to make something but no sure itd stand up to the battering and salt!

wilbmeister
07-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Thinking about getting Boris to make something but no sure itd stand up to the battering and salt!

I hope someone can come up with something. Let me know if you find something that will work.

Also, our daughter married a guy from Barrie 3 weeks ago out in Penticton, BC. I know his family lives in Barrie.

SailDesign
07-21-2013, 10:43 PM
I used General Altimax Arctics on the Yaris for years.
Same as the Hakkapellittas but $100 cheaper per corner. Will be using them again on Porco Rosso this winter