PDA

View Full Version : 500L shifting problems

Stacey Willard
07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi all

I've had my 500L Trekking for a week now. I have some issues that I may need to take to be repaired but wanted to get some feedback in case I am missing something.

When I put the transmission into manual (Autostick), it stays in Drive and does nothing when I move the shifter up or down. The only thing it does is go to Neutral if I hold the shifter up for a couple of seconds.

Secondly, I have a hard time getting it out of Park at times. The button won't depress even with my foot on the brake sometimes. It seems intermittent and when it happens it takes several attempts / seconds to get it out of park.

Thirdly, anyone have issues with power when starting from a stopped position? Sometimes I push the gas down and there's hesitation before going. Then at times it feels like there is hesitation as I accelerate. This doesn't feel like it's part of the shifting.

Also, my heated seat button on the driver seat sticks.

A bit sad at these issues with a car that's only a week old.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stacey

trevc
07-16-2013, 02:22 PM
How did you get a Trekking already?
I would say go visit the dealer you bought it from rather than ask the internet!

Abarth6633
07-16-2013, 02:23 PM
I've heard that some of the 500L's had one of their clutches put in backwards at the factory, I know 2 out of 20 or so of the L's in my area had a clutch in backwards. But don't for get the Type of transmissions the L's have. It's a Euro Dry Dual Clutch. It's basically an automated manual transmission, instead of having fluid, it has two clutches. So it doesn't roll forward when you let off the gas like a regular automatic would. When you push on the gas, it has to engage the clutch with that gear. This type of transmission is 15% more efficiant.

Stacey Willard
07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Yea, I'm aware of the automated clutch. I just didn't know if that much hesitation was normal with that type of clutch, especially during an acceleration. I just need to get used to it I guess. I have to take the car in for a new key to be programmed (the dealership where they got the car from lost one of the keys) so they are going to look at why the car doesn't want to come out of Park or the autostick isn't working all at once. Still annoying that I have to take it in for work after 1 week of ownership.

Stacey Willard
07-16-2013, 02:35 PM
They have had several Trekking models at both the dealerships in town since they were released end of June. The one I wanted wasn't at the dealership i was working with so they got it from the other one in town by trading one of their cars for it. They had some Lounge models but were sold out and more on the way.

trevc
07-16-2013, 03:10 PM
The only models shipped in June to US dealers were Pop, Easy and Lounge. The Trekkings are still on the boat!

They have had several Trekking models at both the dealerships in town since they were released end of June. The one I wanted wasn't at the dealership i was working with so they got it from the other one in town by trading one of their cars for it. They had some Lounge models but were sold out and more on the way.

Stacey Willard
07-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, I can tell you that is wrong info because I bought one 1 week ago and they had some before I bought mine while i was researching them. They had 4 models on the lot when I was there but not with the features I wanted. I have the Trekking with the brown/black interior black with dark grey molding around the wheel wells and bottom of the doors. It has the Trekking Premiere package.7084

fiat30327
07-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Sweet Trekking! The dark color looks really sharp...

FiatCares
07-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Hi all

I've had my 500L Trekking for a week now. I have some issues that I may need to take to be repaired but wanted to get some feedback in case I am missing something.

When I put the transmission into manual (Autostick), it stays in Drive and does nothing when I move the shifter up or down. The only thing it does is go to Neutral if I hold the shifter up for a couple of seconds.

Secondly, I have a hard time getting it out of Park at times. The button won't depress even with my foot on the brake sometimes. It seems intermittent and when it happens it takes several attempts / seconds to get it out of park.

Thirdly, anyone have issues with power when starting from a stopped position? Sometimes I push the gas down and there's hesitation before going. Then at times it feels like there is hesitation as I accelerate. This doesn't feel like it's part of the shifting.

Also, my heated seat button on the driver seat sticks.

A bit sad at these issues with a car that's only a week old.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stacey

Congrats on the new 500L!!! I would have the studio check out all of those issues for you. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Stacey Willard
07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks. I wish the picture did it justice but it was overcast outside and about to downpour. :)

Stacey Willard
07-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks Jonathan. I am waiting for the new key to come in and will have to take the car in to have the key programmed so they said they will check it all out when I bring it in for the key.

500ways
07-16-2013, 04:38 PM
The only models shipped in June to US dealers were Pop, Easy and Lounge. The Trekkings are still on the boat!

My Studio in NJ has had 2 Trekkings on their lot since last week.

trevc
07-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Cool. You must be the first one out there! I obviously have bad information.
I hope they get the issues sorted for you quickly.

Well, I can tell you that is wrong info because I bought one 1 week ago and they had some before I bought mine while i was researching them. They had 4 models on the lot when I was there but not with the features I wanted. I have the Trekking with the brown/black interior black with dark grey molding around the wheel wells and bottom of the doors. It has the Trekking Premiere package.7084

500ways
07-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Sharp!!

Andree
07-16-2013, 05:07 PM

The Trekkings are at Studios.

http://www.fiatusaofstalbans.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-a0fd29860a0a0065000b5cd81cae3d9a.htm

For one.

ciddyguy
07-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Nice Trekking you have there.

Here is a color corrected photo, and with the proper color balance, it looks sharp.

NGEN
07-17-2013, 12:12 AM
That Trekking looks dropped! Very nice

Felnus
07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
I think the 17 inch wheels will be very popular. The 16s look a little small on the L.

Stacey Willard
07-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately, twice today my car was stuck in park and locked me out. I had to use the bypass button under the gearshift to unlock it. I have an appointment on Tuesday to get it fixed and hopefully the manual autostick working and my heated seat button fixed. Thankfully the dealership is giving me a rental for free.

ReconTopher
07-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice Trekking you have there.

Here is a color corrected photo, and with the proper color balance, it looks sharp.

My computer screen needs to be calibrated big time then.

Stacey Willard
07-19-2013, 10:49 AM
This morning I couldn't get the car into Park. Not even the bypass worked. Eventually it went into Park with some force, otherwise I couldn't get my key out of the ignition. Sigh.

Tom2.0
07-19-2013, 11:54 AM
The transmission might need to be re-programmed. The technicians will hook it up to the computer, the computer will them tell the transmission where all the gears are again and refresh it. That should work. Just bring it to your Studio and they'll take care of it for you!

-Tom

FiatCares
07-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately, twice today my car was stuck in park and locked me out. I had to use the bypass button under the gearshift to unlock it. I have an appointment on Tuesday to get it fixed and hopefully the manual autostick working and my heated seat button fixed. Thankfully the dealership is giving me a rental for free.

Stacey: Let me know how it goes with the dealer and repair and if I can be of any assistance.

Stacey Willard
07-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Thank you Tom2.0 and FiatCares

Stacey Willard
07-19-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm going out of town next weekend, so I am hoping they will have it done by then. Taking it in Monday but they probably won't be able to work on it until Tuesday.

Andree
07-24-2013, 06:31 AM
I'm going out of town next weekend, so I am hoping they will have it done by then. Taking it in Monday but they probably won't be able to work on it until Tuesday.

Any updates yet? Hoping for good news!

Stacey Willard
07-24-2013, 08:53 AM
A part of the shifting mechanism broke off (plastic piece) and was getting stuck and not letting the car go into certain gears. This explains why at times it wouldn't come out of park, then not going into park because it was moving around. So, they are waiting to get a replacement shifter (1 to 2 days from Tuesday), once they do it's an easy install the dealer says.

Andree
07-24-2013, 09:47 AM
A part of the shifting mechanism broke off (plastic piece) and was getting stuck and not letting the car go into certain gears. This explains why at times it wouldn't come out of park, then not going into park because it was moving around. So, they are waiting to get a replacement shifter (1 to 2 days from Tuesday), once they do it's an easy install the dealer says.

Whew! Glad to hear it's easy and fast to fix.

Stacey Willard
07-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks. I'm just hoping it's ready by tomorrow afternoon. I'm leaving town first thing Friday for 4 to 5 days.

Stacey Willard
07-24-2013, 03:39 PM
I must say that I am pretty disappointed in Fiat right now. They still don't know when they will get the part to my car because the parts catalog was messed up and had wrong part numbers. They finally found the right part number, but now trying to find out which warehouse may have one or pull one off the assembly line. This sounds like it may drag out for another week. I was told it definitely wouldn't be done by the end of this week.

I'm pretty embarrassed too because I hyped up the car to my family and friends only to have to tell them it's in the shop now for a week or longer. I was going to take it out of town (4 hours each way) this weekend to visit family we hadn't seen in a couple of years and they wanted to see the car. I have a coworker who was looking at a Fiat too and this is not giving her a good impression.

They gave me a rental but it has none of the amenities of my Fiat, so I'm paying for a week (or more) of car payments for a lesser car that smells like someone smoked in it. I'll be a week into the 30 day lemon law on Sunday for how long the dealership has had the car for repair.

FiatCares
07-24-2013, 04:47 PM

Stacey: If you would like for me to check the progress, send me your VIN via PM. Keep me posted...

Andree
07-24-2013, 09:11 PM
I am so sorry. It's not your fault. It might not even be Fiat's fault. Not that I'm trying to make excuses for everyone along the line, but stuff CAN go wrong. At the parts manufacturing place. During the shipment of parts. During the installation of parts. And human interaction, as in some doofus doing something wrong.

Definitely send a message to FiatCares (the Fiat representative for the US on this site) with your VIN. His name is Jonathan. He can look into the status of your vehicle and repair.

I don't suppose the Studio has a 500L loaner, do they? You might ask to see if they can do that for you. It's not just good for you, it's good for them and good for the brand.

It's a goodwill gesture of course. But it also gets the vehicle out on the highway for them and for Fiat this coming weekend with the dealership paper name things on the bumpers. Four hours each way of "free" advertising.

I know that in the past, other car dealerships have had their own "demo" vehicles and these were often driven by dealership management just to get the car out there and seen. Even when I was taking in my old VW to the dealership years ago, they gave me the new model Jetta for a loaner (it was so much better than my old car).

And one of my neighbors has shown up a few times in a vehicle that says it's a "courtesy car" from a Lexus dealer.

Bonus for the Studio, if they don't already have one, is to use the 500L as a car to take people home in. They had a full-time employee doing nothing but shuttling people at the Honda dealership I used to go to. That man needed no map, he knew the whole area, it was amazing. And his memory, he didn't write anything down, just asked where people were going and then off we all went.

The Studio may say "no" they don't do these things or can't do it right now. Depends on how many cars they HAVE available. And many other factors. But still, it's worth asking, I think.

It could also help make you feel more confident in the brand. All 500Ls don't have that part breaking, shouldn't have that part breaking, and you'll see how the car handles with the part that isn't broken. It should be smooooth, like butter.

Note: All you Fiat dealers out there, get a loaner 500L available for your customers, especially for this kind of thing. It's good for you, it's good for Fiat, it's good for customers. Thanks.

Stacey Willard
07-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks Andree, I have been in contact with FiatCares Jonathan with that information. My dealership is having a hard time keeping the 500L in stock, so doubt they have loaners, especially since they are willing to pay Enterprise fro a week or more of a loaner even upgrading my loaner to an SUV. Of course, I'd rather have the Fiat 500L loaner. I don't blame the dealership at all, they have been very accomodating and helpful with this ordeal. It's partially the fault of Chrysler that they have their parts numbers wrong in their catalog and delayed my car getting fixed since the wrong part arrived when the dealership thought they were ordering the right part. I understand things can go wrong, but to have the car in the shop for a week out of the 3 weeks I have owned it makes me upset.

Andree
07-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Pizza! Ice cream! Chocolate!

Enterprise will eventually get around to having 500Ls available to rent. It's too good of a vehicle NOT to have in their fleet. But they'll have to wait until there are enough cars for them to get any.

They already rent out the 500 and sell them when they reach a certain mileage:
http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/list/buy-a-car-1#0/10/Distance/a//make%3D%22FIAT%22%20model%3D%22FIAT--500%22

The 500 an excellent car. And the 500L has so many uses with plenty of room, it will be very popular as a rental. Ask Enterprise when they expect to have the 500L available as a rental, maybe they'll hurry it up in time for this weekend? Wishful thinking, but, HEY, it COULD happen.

These folks here are the first to offer the 500L as a rental:
http://www.rentgenius.com/fiat500rental.html

Just a bit out of your area, though. LOL. I got the link from the 500Madness forum here:
http://500madness.com/500madness/forums/showthread.php?2059-Rent-the-NEW-2014-Fiat-500-L-in-NJ-amp-NYC#.UfCXxFPbKiY

Keep us all updated on what occurs and maybe even the part number in question.

I had been reading the 500L manual, where it talked about the warning messages and why AutoStick might not work. The car has all kinds of protective mechanisms to help keep the car from seriously damaging itself if it detects something wrong. But you didn't get any warning messages at all, did you?

Some plastic doohickey shifting around in your shifting area making it so you couldn't move the shifter into the space already occupied by the plastic piece, it wouldn't have a computer warning.

It won't break on everyone's car, but there is a possibility that it will break on someone's car someday, and it would be very useful to have the part number and even a schematic image of where the part is, what it looks like, and the symptoms, as they are being covered in this thread. The thread title is perfect for searching.

I know you're doing all the suffering here, but it IS helpful for the next person that has it happen, so they know the symptoms and the CORRECT part number.

Stacey Willard
07-25-2013, 07:55 AM
I will post an update when I hear something. If I can get the part #, I will share that as well. While I love the Fiat 500L, I'm almost sorry I didn't go with Kia, since we've owned 3 of them with no problems. I know once it's fixed, I'll be in love again (assuming nothing else breaks) :)

Stacey Willard
07-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Okay, FIAT is hoping they found the part but they are having it shipped to their main hub (whatever/wherever that is) to verify it's the right part and then they will ship to the dealership. Service adviser is estimating Monday or Tuesday to have it fixed if it's the right part. That'll work out nicely since that's when I come back into town.

Stacey Willard
07-25-2013, 09:07 PM
By the way, I had a voicemail message from Corporate said they had several people working on it.

Stacey Willard
07-29-2013, 05:08 PM
No updates on my car/parts since 7/25/13. Sigh. It's been in a week today.

sjmst
07-29-2013, 09:46 PM

Best looking 500L, IMHO. Black Trekking!

Andree
07-29-2013, 10:27 PM
No updates on my car/parts since 7/25/13. Sigh. It's been in a week today.

Heads are in the process of rolling, that's why. Someone totally messed up with the part number from what you've said, and the results won't be pretty for whomever did the input. Because then you have to wonder "what other part numbers are not correct?".

It's a nationwide part number, perhaps international, like in Canada or even to all 500L markets.

Numbers themselves are easy enough to update. But if the number is on a schematic, the schematic has to be redone. And everyone who uses that schematic has to have the updated version.

The way the process works is that at each level, each person will have to check the schematic themselves to see that the part number is wrong. LOL.

It really is kind of a big deal.

Hope it's ready to come back soon!

Stacey Willard
07-30-2013, 09:24 AM
I got a response to my email that they did find the right part and it was shipped to the dealer yesterday. They are waiting for UPS to drop it off and hope to have it and the car fixed by Wednesday at the latest.

Keeping fingers crossed!

They really should compensate me somehow besides the rental car. I mean, I have owned the car for a total of 3 weeks and they've had it more than a week of that time - a third of the time I've owned it's been in the shop. :)

Andree
07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
That's good news! Very good news.

Stacey Willard
07-30-2013, 02:35 PM
I picked up my car around 1:30 and it's all fixed, hooray!!!!

trevc
07-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Finally!
Hopefully you won't have any more issues and can enjoy your Fiat.

FiatCares
07-30-2013, 03:55 PM

Excellent! Glad that I was able to put pressure on the issue.

Stacey Willard
07-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Thank you, Jonathan!

500ways
07-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Happy to hear it - enjoy!!!

Curious
07-30-2013, 06:31 PM

Time for Stacey to take a road trip, think vacation drive, long one! Happy trails. Enjoy the ride.

Stacey Willard
07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I just did a road trip this past weekend, which was supposed to be in my Fiat. :( Maybe a short one this coming weekend or will wait to a possible trip to Gatlinburg in September :)

Andree
07-30-2013, 08:24 PM
I just did a road trip this past weekend, which was supposed to be in my Fiat. :( Maybe a short one this coming weekend or will wait to a possible trip to Gatlinburg in September :)

How about a picnic?

I just did a Google search for Columbus Ohio Picnic Areas and one of the results was this lovely place:
http://alum-creek-state-park.org/

Which then links over to this site:
http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/alumcreek

The gov link has the current list of activities. They have something called "Goods in the Woods" this coming Friday Aug 2 and Saturday Aug 3:
"Campers and non-campers bring their goods to sell in the park. Small fee for vendor space, campers do receive a discount on this fee."

There's a car and motorcycle show on Aug 17, a Saturday.

Short link to the overhead map:
http://goo.gl/maps/5SiSj

Looks like you can do just about every imaginable activity there. Or just go to relax and enjoy the surroundings!

Stacey Willard
07-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks Andree. There's usually lots going on in Ohio, in the summer especially. I'm sure we will find something, but those are some good suggestions.

Stacey Willard
08-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I just thought I'd let you know that Chrysler is making things right. They are compensating me 2 months of car payments. This makes me feel like a valued customer.

Andree
08-01-2013, 09:17 PM
I just thought I'd let you know that Chrysler is making things right. They are compensating me 2 months of car payments. This makes me feel like a valued customer.

WOW!

Excellent customer service. Way to go, Chrysler/Fiat!

Thad
08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I wish they would have done the same for me when they had their parts diagrams for my car all reversed left/right when trying to get an oil seal that had me on and off in a crappy Enterprise car. I think I had a total of 8 visits to a dealer that was an hour away in one direction with a $5 bridge toll each time until they finally sorted problems out. BTW, the early 500 diagrams/parts listings for front drive shafts and suspension are reversed left/right.

littlejohn
08-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Aren't these cars getting standard transmissions in the future?

SeaDawg
08-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Aren't these cars getting standard transmissions in the future?

The 'L' already comes with a 6 speed manual standard on all but the Lounge, I think. The DDCT (automated manual...my definition) is optional on all but the Pop model. Rumor has it a completely hydraulic automatic transmission similar to that found in the current 500 Pop/Sport/Lounge and most American cars will be available...I'm not quite sure WHY or if there is any truth to the rumor.

Fiat500USA
08-10-2013, 10:35 AM
The 'L' already comes with a 6 speed manual standard on all but the Lounge, I think. The DDCT (automated manual...my definition) is optional on all but the Pop model. Rumor has it a completely hydraulic automatic transmission similar to that found in the current 500 Pop/Sport/Lounge and most American cars will be available...I'm not quite sure WHY or if there is any truth to the rumor.

Hi SeaDawg, good to see you here. Yeah, that's not a rumor, but a reality,

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ey2DCZ5Gb7A/Ub01jVKx3dI/AAAAAAAARbo/K_UIjAuheVI/s640/Fiat500USA.com-500L%2520Drive%2520068.JPG

littlejohn
08-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks, yeah I think if I understand it right the 500L will come with a standard auto in the future, not the Dual Clutch Auto? So maybe that will add more torque/perceived? low rev power? Or/and act more like transmissions I'm used to? My wife likes the 500L and certainly cheaper than the Mini CM.

Kevin Coft
09-07-2013, 04:09 PM
In response too "Secondly, I have a hard time getting it out of Park at times. The button won't depress even with my foot on the brake sometimes. It seems intermittent and when it happens it takes several attempts / seconds to get it out of park."

Hello, I am having the same issue. My Mother just picked up a new 500l Sport last week on Sept 30th and it went I took it back on Tuesday September 3rd, 2013 due to the air conditioning not working, a check engine light that came on and not being able to disengage park. This would happen periodically the when the car was started and with the foot on the brake - you could not shift out of park unless you waited for up to 30 - 40 seconds. The dealership said that they did a new download for the clutch (not sure exactly what that entailed) but the problem was right back the next day. In less than a week I have had the car returned twice and I am concerned about this purchase.

Can anyone tell me what could be going on and what information I should be giving to the dealership. In this thread i noticed that someone commented that some of the 500L's had the clutch put in backwards.

Thank you,
Very concerned new buyer.

Stacey Willard
09-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Kevin

Mine was a piece of plastic that was broken off in the gearbox that prevented mine from coming out of park initially and then it kept me from putting it IN park. Mine seemed to come broken from the factory. I hope yours is as easy as a fix that was. I have read that some clutches were installed backwards, not sure what kind of problem that would cause.

I love my car but there's a rattle in the dash that happens periodically that's loud, and the car feels so jerky at lower speeds even when it's not shifting. It's like it's shifted too early. If you have driven a manual transmission, you'll know that if you shift too soon that the car will jerk a bit before it gets up to a speed that's more appropriate for that gear. That's what it feels like.

Good luck , Kevin. Hopefully they can figure it out. There's a Fiat Care Specialist on this board so hopefully they can offer some assistance.

Kevin Coft
09-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I should add - this is the Euro twin clutch transmission.

Stacey Willard
09-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Mine is the euro / dual clutch too. I'd have them check the gearbox just in case if they haven't already.

Indie500L
09-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Not sure if this is anything to do with getting into park but the owners manual says to set the hand brake first and to use it if on any kind of an incline or you can damage the transmission trying to get it out of park as it loads up the gears and makes it difficult to shift it if there is any load on the gears. I am not sure how they are locking up a dual clutch transmission maybe putting it into gear on both clutch paths but it maybe a good idea to have the parking brake on when shifting in and out of park. Remember it is not like a regular automatic transmission which has planetary gears constantly meshing and uses band clutches to change gear ratios, this dual clutch transmission has to actually shift gears in and out.

FiatCares
09-09-2013, 01:27 PM
In response too "Secondly, I have a hard time getting it out of Park at times. The button won't depress even with my foot on the brake sometimes. It seems intermittent and when it happens it takes several attempts / seconds to get it out of park."

Hello, I am having the same issue. My Mother just picked up a new 500l Sport last week on Sept 30th and it went I took it back on Tuesday September 3rd, 2013 due to the air conditioning not working, a check engine light that came on and not being able to disengage park. This would happen periodically the when the car was started and with the foot on the brake - you could not shift out of park unless you waited for up to 30 - 40 seconds. The dealership said that they did a new download for the clutch (not sure exactly what that entailed) but the problem was right back the next day. In less than a week I have had the car returned twice and I am concerned about this purchase.

Can anyone tell me what could be going on and what information I should be giving to the dealership. In this thread i noticed that someone commented that some of the 500L's had the clutch put in backwards.

Thank you,
Very concerned new buyer.

I can look into this for you. Please PM me with your mother's VIN and studio name and the name of her adviser...

Kevin Coft
09-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi Jonathan, sorry for the late reply. The dealership has determined that the problem is in the shifter and that there is a disconnect between the stepping on the brake and the shifter disengaging out of park. I am told that they will have a new shifter assembly put in the vehicle today or tomorrow.

Hopefully this solves the issue.
I will let you know if I need more assistance.
Much appreciated.
Kevin

FiatCares
09-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi Jonathan, sorry for the late reply. The dealership has determined that the problem is in the shifter and that there is a disconnect between the stepping on the brake and the shifter disengaging out of park. I am told that they will have a new shifter assembly put in the vehicle today or tomorrow.

Hopefully this solves the issue.
I will let you know if I need more assistance.
Much appreciated.
Kevin

Excellent! I found out the same for you. Im glad the studio found what was wrong... hope you arent inconvenienced too long.

brandonelliott
11-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Glad I found this thread. I bought a 500L in August. 3 weeks later the car was stuck in park in my driveway. It was towed to the dealer who had it for over a MONTH trying to get a new transmission. When I got it back an "update" had been done and removed the SXM button. I was told my car didn't come with it, even though my salesperson told me it did, walked me through the setup, and gave me the pamphlet for my 1 free year of service.

Fast forward about a month and roughly 40 emails later, and I picked up a replacement 500L Trekking on Friday. I was given a $700 credit toward getting a new car with the Beats package so I'd have SXM again.

I was thrilled!

Then today, when trying to take my toddler to school, I had the same transmission issue again. Stuck in park, fight to get it out, and it gets stuck again. I was forced to walk my toddler to school in sub-freezing temps because my 4-day-old car with 71 miles wouldn't get out of the driveway.

Here's a video of what's going on.....

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w782fy9hxa3mat9/mXvyDOKWzQ

Needless to say I'm about to LOSE it. I've been a Fiat owner for 4 months, over a month of that the car was in for service, and it's about to go in again. I've only been able to log a total of 1410 miles on both cars combined because of how infrequently I can drive my car.

In my life I have purchased maybe a dozen new cars from Honda, Jeep, Chrysler, BMW, Audi, and Ford. I haven't had as many new-car issues with all other cars COMBINED as I have with my 500L's.

Andree
11-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Glad I found this thread. I bought a 500L in August. 3 weeks later the car was stuck in park in my driveway. It was towed to the dealer who had it for over a MONTH trying to get a new transmission. When I got it back an "update" had been done and removed the SXM button. I was told my car didn't come with it, even though my salesperson told me it did, walked me through the setup, and gave me the pamphlet for my 1 free year of service.

Fast forward about a month and roughly 40 emails later, and I picked up a replacement 500L Trekking on Friday. I was given a $700 credit toward getting a new car with the Beats package so I'd have SXM again.

I was thrilled!

Then today, when trying to take my toddler to school, I had the same transmission issue again. Stuck in park, fight to get it out, and it gets stuck again. I was forced to walk my toddler to school in sub-freezing temps because my 4-day-old car with 71 miles wouldn't get out of the driveway.

Here's a video of what's going on.....

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w782fy9hxa3mat9/mXvyDOKWzQ

Needless to say I'm about to LOSE it. I've been a Fiat owner for 4 months, over a month of that the car was in for service, and it's about to go in again. I've only been able to log a total of 1410 miles on both cars combined because of how infrequently I can drive my car.

In my life I have purchased maybe a dozen new cars from Honda, Jeep, Chrysler, BMW, Audi, and Ford. I haven't had as many new-car issues with all other cars COMBINED as I have with my 500L's.

At least the lights are rhythmic. Two flash, one flash, one long flash. I'm guessing you're doing everything right from the owner's manual, yes? Like having the brake on before trying to shift.

And this tip from page 222 of the Owner's Manual doesn't apply (you're not on an incline):
"When parking on a level surface, you may shift the transmission into PARK first, and then apply the parking brake.
When parking on a hill, apply the parking brake before shifting the transmission to PARK, otherwise the load on the transmission locking mechanism may make it diffi- cult to move the shift lever out of PARK. As an added precaution, turn the front wheels toward the curb on a downhill grade and away from the curb on an uphill grade."

That's all I've got. Wish it helped. I'd be in tears if the car wouldn't go, I've had enough of those experiences in my life.

By the way, I have just over 1600 miles on my regular 500, after almost a year. THAT is infrequent driving.

Hopefully Jonathan can help get your car fixed and please keep us posted on what the diagnosis is for the 500L.

brandonelliott
11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
At least the lights are rhythmic. Two flash, one flash, one long flash. I'm guessing you're doing everything right from the owner's manual, yes? Like having the brake on before trying to shift.

And this tip from page 222 of the Owner's Manual doesn't apply (you're not on an incline):
"When parking on a level surface, you may shift the transmission into PARK first, and then apply the parking brake.
When parking on a hill, apply the parking brake before shifting the transmission to PARK, otherwise the load on the transmission locking mechanism may make it diffi- cult to move the shift lever out of PARK. As an added precaution, turn the front wheels toward the curb on a downhill grade and away from the curb on an uphill grade."

That's all I've got. Wish it helped. I'd be in tears if the car wouldn't go, I've had enough of those experiences in my life.

By the way, I have just over 1600 miles on my regular 500, after almost a year. THAT is infrequent driving.

Hopefully Jonathan can help get your car fixed and please keep us posted on what the diagnosis is for the 500L.

Yes, brake pedal depressed before trying to shift out of park, etc etc. The car IS parked on an incline, but living in Chicago means that incline is about 1%. I'd guess the entire length of my driveway, probably about 40-50' gains less than 6"! It was parked there over the weekend and was fine, but this morning when the transmission stuck it was parked on the street, which probably doesn't gain 6" per city block.

As an aside, the first car when towed had the service manager present, and it was parked in my driveway. He didn't seem concerned with the minor slope of the driveway, so I'm hoping that can rule that issue out.

I have to say, the dealership has bent over backwards to do what they can, so I don't fault them. I had a great talk with the service manager today, I can tell he genuinely feels bad about the issues. It's nice that he empathizes with me, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

The crazy part is that I like the car enough that I really don't want a refund, I just want it to work. The car works really well for my family.

Andree
11-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Yes, brake pedal depressed before trying to shift out of park, etc etc. The car IS parked on an incline, but living in Chicago means that incline is about 1%. I'd guess the entire length of my driveway, probably about 40-50' gains less than 6"! It was parked there over the weekend and was fine, but this morning when the transmission stuck it was parked on the street, which probably doesn't gain 6" per city block.

As an aside, the first car when towed had the service manager present, and it was parked in my driveway. He didn't seem concerned with the minor slope of the driveway, so I'm hoping that can rule that issue out.

I have to say, the dealership has bent over backwards to do what they can, so I don't fault them. I had a great talk with the service manager today, I can tell he genuinely feels bad about the issues. It's nice that he empathizes with me, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

The crazy part is that I like the car enough that I really don't want a refund, I just want it to work. The car works really well for my family.

So glad to hear the service department is taking care of you. It's frustrating all around, and everyone wants the car to WORK! I was hoping it was something as simple this time as the foot on the brake. That would be nice and certainly easy to remedy.

You can send a Private Message or Email to Jonathan, the FiatCares person on his profile page here:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares

Keep us updated. I really want to know what the problem is with the car, and how it's fixed. Some folks have no problems at all. But you've had problems twice now, and that isn't right. Seems the odds would be against that happening. On the other hand, it might be a good time to buy a lottery ticket. ;)

brandonelliott
11-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Well, car is checked in and I'm back in a loaner. Apparently the computer threw out 4 different codes; two engine, one transmission, and one radio! We'll see what happens this time around.

Andree
11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Well, car is checked in and I'm back in a loaner. Apparently the computer threw out 4 different codes; two engine, one transmission, and one radio! We'll see what happens this time around.

Egads. It might not be the best time to point out the bright side, but I will anyway. LOL...

So many cars I've had, had problems. There were no computer-diagnostic-black-box-code-spewing-options way back then. Nothing to prevent or alert me to totally serious problems. Other than sudden failure.

Like the time I was driving my car and suddenly had no brakes. None. Turned out the brake fluid hose had been rubbing against a wheel, and when it finally wore it's way through, no more brakes. I was lucky, at a stop light, just starting to go, and was able to coast into a nearby gas station that also fixed cars and could get the part, done that day, right on the spot.

Another time, zipping along to a car show, the car started to overheat. It turned out the oil pump failed. I think I got an oil light, but there was nothing like today's cars where they are monitored constantly for problems and errors to prevent the car from being driven if there is any kind of problem.

Sure, it's totally inconvenient to have a car that seems to decide for itself that it's not going to leave your driveway today. It looks fine. It may start and sound fine. But it's refusing to go out of gear. You haven't had warning lights, so what's up?

The car may have just saved your life, though.

You don't want to find out your transmission or engine or other parts need to be looked at as you careen off a roadway after they've failed. Especially when it's cold, icy, and you're taking your child to school.

Maybe the computer part needs reprogramming or it's overly sensitive/protective. The car protects itself, and that then protects you. If I'm going to get stuck somewhere, I'd rather it be at home. Not somewhere on a highway.

So, what kind of loaner do you have?

brandonelliott
11-22-2013, 01:16 PM
500L loaner. Literally identical to my own car. Hoping to have my car back today, though.

Andrew J
11-22-2013, 04:20 PM
500L loaner. Literally identical to my own car. Hoping to have my car back today, though.

Hi, I am having the same exact problem with my new L-2400 miles. My transmission and ecu have been replaced with no improvement, except an oil leak that the dealer is fixing right now. I am hoping to get it back early next week and need to know where to go with this problem. I will check all the connectors on the transmission and shifter mechanism. When i got the car back with the new transmission/oil leak, i was hoping that the oil under the car was overflow/ sloppy work. I hosed off the transmission and the car would not start/the shifter was blinking until i waited a few minutes and disconnected the battery. It started up fine and drove normal. The connections are not water proof, as i did not use high pressure or anything like that. I don't want another vehicle at this point as i feel they all will do it eventually since it does not seem to be a major component like the transmission. I will post here if I find something, the dealer acts like no one else has experienced the same problem- the Dodge Dart owners are reporting the same issue. Always after a cold start. Thanks, Andrew