PDA

View Full Version : Mid pipes mid pipes mid pipes...

opiateESP
07-15-2013, 05:57 PM
So I have an appointment for August 1st at a local shop to have a 2.5, mandrel bent cat back exhaust installed. These friendly folks make systems for older muscle typically and are really well priced. I was in today for a quote and it was incredibly reasonable for custom work. They have a fantastic mandrel bender directly on site and will bend either aluminized or stainless exhausts up. I have set an appointment up for the August 2nd for an after install dyno pull. SO for you folks who are dying for a mid pipe, I mentioned the lack of this part to them and told them of our communities lust for a pipe... so these guys will have the formula after the 1st.

This is the shop: http://mufflertech.ca/

Mr. Man
07-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I hope it goes well! We need a midpipe

DS Ocampo
07-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Before I scrapped it I had B&M muffler of avondale AZ make me one 2.5 to a single exit... 180.00 .. With new flex pipe and Crome tip... That was in February I think.. And yes that's full exhaust, but like I said I scrapped it and it still sits in the backyard collecting dust... The set up now that I'm running is pulling a lot better than what I did before so I'm staying where I'm at..

Just what I did already a ways back..

opiateESP
07-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Before I scrapped it I had B&M muffler of avondale AZ make me one 2.5 to a single exit... 180.00 .. With new flex pipe and Crome tip... That was in February I think.. And yes that's full exhaust, but like I said I scrapped it and it still sits in the backyard collecting dust... The set up now that I'm running is pulling a lot better than what I did before so I'm staying where I'm at..

Just what I did already a ways back..

What are you running right now? I see you have a 2.25 DP and a 2.25 axle back but what about for a mid pipe?

DS Ocampo
07-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Used to have the 2.5 custom piping but used the stock pipe again.. Car feels better at low end like this... Before it felt like it dragged but nice top end ... Just what I like so I have this "off" setup

MADNESSLuckyJay
07-16-2013, 12:44 PM
with a bigger mid-pipe you are most likely to see more turbo lag, top end can be better, but it will be harder for the turbo to spool with a bigger mid pipe. Not like that's a bad thing, put them on several FWD drag cars before.

opiateESP
07-16-2013, 01:00 PM
with a bigger mid-pipe you are most likely to see more turbo lag, top end can be better, but it will be harder for the turbo to spool with a bigger mid pipe. Not like that's a bad thing, put them on several FWD drag cars before.

I've read about this and have seen a lot of responses from both sides of the fence. Some builders say faster spool while others say slower. I'm just going to hop on a dyno and find out what a 2.5" mandrel system does for us. I don't mind a bit slower spool as long as the return is worth while. Have you folks done much dyno testing with mid pipes yet?

MADNESSLuckyJay
07-16-2013, 01:02 PM
we haven't really touched the mid-pipe, the stock one with changes in-front-of and behind it are working great! Looking forward to seeing how your pulls go!

DS Ocampo
07-16-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm with Jay... The butt dyno was like night and day.. Hit the gas and I waited for something better , but nothing :/... So I went to changing the DP with custom rear and it's great low and high end... Just my 2cents tho

shagghie
07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm with Jay... The butt dyno was like night and day.. Hit the gas and I waited for something better , but nothing :/... So I went to changing the DP with custom rear and it's great low and high end... Just my 2cents tho

Side note curiosity... what was the difference in sound characteristic when you went back and fourth?

Ryephile
07-16-2013, 01:54 PM

Turbine's work off pressure and temp deltas. Less "backpressure" means quicker spool, full stop. The variable that affects real-world turbo exhausts is the poor flow rate that is commonly seen with aftermarket exhausts, despite using "big" tubes. The transitions need to be clean. Using a 2.25" flange going to a 2.5" flange will introduce all sorts of turbulence and acoustic reversion waves and ruin flow capability.

--->opiateESP: Make sure the shop pays attention to matching flange ID's, uses a flex section where the factory one was, and uses all the factory hanger locations with nubs or clamps to keep the pipe located securely in all axes. If you have the stock downpipe, they'll need to match that tubing size and then use a long smooth concentric cone adapter to go to 2.5", no abrupt step adapters please.

Good luck!

opiateESP
07-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Turbine's work off pressure and temp deltas. Less "backpressure" means quicker spool, full stop. The variable that affects real-world turbo exhausts is the poor flow rate that is commonly seen with aftermarket exhausts, despite using "big" tubes. The transitions need to be clean. Using a 2.25" flange going to a 2.5" flange will introduce all sorts of turbulence and acoustic reversion waves and ruin flow capability.

--->opiateESP: Make sure the shop pays attention to matching flange ID's, uses a flex section where the factory one was, and uses all the factory hanger locations with nubs or clamps to keep the pipe located securely in all axes. If you have the stock downpipe, they'll need to match that tubing size and then use a long smooth concentric cone adapter to go to 2.5", no abrupt step adapters please.

Good luck!

The abrupt change from 2.25 to 2.5 has been my biggest concern. I've sent inquiries to Madness and ATP as to the exit diameter of their respective down pipes hoping to find a suitable unit to use with the exhaust. Otherwise, I'm thinking of having a 2.5" down pipe manufactured at the same time. The only downside to this is it won't give us a number on how the exhaust performs on it's own (which I would really like to have documented).

DS Ocampo
07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
You can see it on YouTube ... Hmm let me find it ...

http://youtu.be/_XQiIlaGsk8

That's a week after I bought it.. Just that no other MODS.. Now with front and back it's very balanced and smooth.. Sounds like the Gumball Fiat :)

shagghie
07-16-2013, 04:03 PM

http://youtu.be/_XQiIlaGsk8.. Sounds like the Gumball Fiat :)

Ummmm. OK, so useless_without_pics (or in this case, VIDEO OF THE GUMBALLZ SOUNDZ!!!)

DS Ocampo
07-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Sorry that's what it sounded like with the pipes like that .. The 2.5" pipes..

But with the front and back done only it sounds like the GUMBALL Fiat..

Side note curiosity... what was the difference in sound characteristic when you went back and fourth?

Ummmm. OK, so useless_without_pics (or in this case, VIDEO OF THE GUMBALLZ SOUNDZ!!!)

DS Ocampo
07-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Ill take pics when I pick up my car, but the link I posted was from when I had the whole system done up..

dylansi
07-17-2013, 02:17 PM
What size tip did you use to make it look that clean?

I plan on doing the same thing as you with either with a dual tip (if it will fit) or the oval tip look that you have

opiateESP
07-17-2013, 04:07 PM

http://youtu.be/_XQiIlaGsk8

That's a week after I bought it.. Just that no other MODS.. Now with front and back it's very balanced and smooth.. Sounds like the Gumball Fiat :)

Those are crushed bends on that exhaust. The inside diameter of those bends can be as little as 1.8". Is your downpipe crushed bends as well?
It does sound great though!