PDA

View Full Version : Wards Auto Test Drive 500L

Andree
07-15-2013, 05:53 PM
500L Defies Conventionality With Spunk, Style

"Perhaps in the 500L’s case, there’s no desire to label the vehicle because it’s so hard to define. A boxy design suggests urban-minded styling, but an available “Trekking” package hints of more active uses for the car. The model has the quickness of an Abarth-lite, but is unassuming in its overall package."

http://wardsauto.com/vehicle-test-drives/500l-defies-conventionality-spunk-style

Of course, they DID try to label it, by mentioning no less than eight other cars by name in the third paragraph. The only cars the 500L compare directly to will be the upcoming 500 vehicles, like the 500X.

In another thread I'd posted a review where the 500e was compared to the 500T (turbo). Because the smaller 500 doesn't compare too well against ANY other vehicles, it's in a class of it's own. So is the 500L. The first paragraph of the Test Drive mentions trucks and subcompacts. 500L isn't one of those, they say. And they're right.

It is a new kind of car. What it's used for is up to the owner. What it's labelled as is up to the owner too.

ciddyguy
07-16-2013, 06:43 PM
500L Defies Conventionality With Spunk, Style

"Perhaps in the 500L’s case, there’s no desire to label the vehicle because it’s so hard to define. A boxy design suggests urban-minded styling, but an available “Trekking” package hints of more active uses for the car. The model has the quickness of an Abarth-lite, but is unassuming in its overall package."

http://wardsauto.com/vehicle-test-drives/500l-defies-conventionality-spunk-style

Of course, they DID try to label it, by mentioning no less than eight other cars by name in the third paragraph. The only cars the 500L compare directly to will be the upcoming 500 vehicles, like the 500X.

In another thread I'd posted a review where the 500e was compared to the 500T (turbo). Because the smaller 500 doesn't compare too well against ANY other vehicles, it's in a class of it's own. So is the 500L. The first paragraph of the Test Drive mentions trucks and subcompacts. 500L isn't one of those, they say. And they're right.

It is a new kind of car. What it's used for is up to the owner. What it's labelled as is up to the owner too.

A very good article on the 500L, however, its size is more along the lines of the older C segment cars, like my Mazda Protege5 as they are exactly the same length, though the L is taller and a tad wider, and the Mazda is classed as a compact (for 2003).

I like how some describe the L as plucky, and I would largely agree with that, and the diminutive 500 as well, thus is part of their soul/personality.