PDA

View Full Version : USA Today (Reviewed.com): First drive 500L

Andree
07-15-2013, 05:23 PM
"The only major component the 500L shares with its smaller sibling is the 160-hp 1.4L MultiAir Turbo engine that's also found under the hood of the 500's Abarth performance model. In the case of the 500L, it's a perfect match for the mini-crossover, equally suited for zipping around town and for long, high-speed highway slogs. Mated to a six-speed manual, it's an absolute blast to drive."

and later

"It also means 500L drivers should get used to comments and stares. Like those old Mentos commercials, something about this car stands out as distinctly foreign. That continues inside, where you find funky patterns and interesting textures that somehow avoid gaudiness. This is possibly the most distinctive-looking car on sale in the US, and it speaks to its European heritage. More than once we were stopped by expats excited to see a slice of home on American roads."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/07/15/fiat-500l/2500117/

Robert Nixon
07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
"...something about this car stands out as distinctly foreign"

Really? From a car in the US that was designed in Italy and built in Serbia? They're brilliant!

Glad it's a good review!

Robert Nixon
07-15-2013, 08:08 PM
"Goodies like no-cost package and a sub-$20k opening price point may help drive traffic into dealerships, but there's a lot more to love about the latest, largest Fiat. If American buyers can get comfortable with its looks and a relatively unfamiliar nameplate, the Fiat 500L has what it takes to be the first Italian car to gain mainstream acceptance in the U.S."

I hadn't heard about the free Uconnect package as a new car offer that's included! Good deal!

Kurumi
07-16-2013, 07:11 AM
"Goodies like no-cost package and a sub-$20k opening price point may help drive traffic into dealerships, but there's a lot more to love about the latest, largest Fiat. If American buyers can get comfortable with its looks and a relatively unfamiliar nameplate, the Fiat 500L has what it takes to be the first Italian car to gain mainstream acceptance in the U.S."

I hadn't heard about the free Uconnect package as a new car offer that's included! Good deal!

The Free Uconnect package is only available for the first model year (so far). When I test drove a manual Easy model, I loved it. Smooth and peppy. Felt like a big 500T.

ciddyguy
07-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Having driven this car myself, though with the DCCT tranny, it's great, I love it, despite the slow tip in from a standing start, and the slow response of shifting when I tell it to, it made the car feel a little less potent than it really is.

The info on the UConnect isn't quite correct, the 5" base radio is also UConnect as well, but adds CD player and you get the GPS navigation already activated.

If you hop over to YouTube, or to the site, Fast lane Car, Nathan does a very good review of the L himself, though up in mile high country (Colorado), so it's performance times is a tad less than you'd get at lower elevations, but still respectable enough, and he loved many aspects of the vehicle and even says, out of the Clubman/Countryman, the Kia Soul and the L, the L is the most fun vehicle of its type, so far.