PDA

View Full Version : Knocking Sound Coming from Right Rear Suspension

Abarth Five O
07-14-2013, 11:01 PM
I've recently developed a knocking sound coming from the right rear suspension while going over bumps. I purchased used BC COs from a member with approx. 5k mi. and have put on another 2k-3k mi. w/o any issues. I checked the exhaust mounts for my R/R rear axle exhaust as well as my R/R Big Red Sway Bar which I've had for at least 3k mi. w/o any issues. Everything appears secure and torqued properly w/o any excessive movement or rattling. I wondering if my rear BC right rear strut is shot and making that knocking sound. If I need to replace it, I might try the Koni rear shocks instead. Any one have similar issues? Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

FTY
07-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Sounds like a bad strut. You can either replace the strut for $95 direct from BC or go the KONI route. The KONIs do have a lifetime warranty(for the original purchaser and owner). The BC's have a year warranty(original owner). We had an issue with one other strut and that was a symptom of it.

Abarth Five O
07-15-2013, 03:57 AM
Thanks Chris! For a pair, the Konis are more than double the cost of the BCs. Is it worth the extra $ or shall I just replace w/ BCs?

FTY
07-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks Chris! For a pair, the Konis are more than double the cost of the BCs. Is it worth the extra $ or shall I just replace w/ BCs?

Id swap out the BC strut, they have those in stock. Should be able to get it out to you quickly. The KONIs are on of the best sets of struts out there so it would be an upgrade if you'd like to go that route. I'm pretty surprised the BC strut died on you, they are pretty stout.

Abarth Five O
07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I'll probably go that route i.e. swapping out w/ a new BC strut, but I want to make sure it's not something else first, like a loose plastic part knocking around in the rear quarter panel. However, I heard it again this morning and the knock is audible at every little bump, especially at slow speeds, so more than likely it's probably the rear strut. I'm surprised the BC strut would crap out so soon with only about 7k miles on it. Perhaps because I've been running it on max Hard damping which may have caused premature failure? I may also bite the bullet and go w/ Konis. How do you adjust the damping on the Konis? Do you have a pair in stock?

Abarth Five O
07-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Re-torqued all rear suspension parts, including BRSB at 120 ft./lbs., re-checked exhaust and rear diffuser mounting points and found no unusual noises. It's all pointing back to the rear strut or spring as the possible culprit. However, rear strut seems to be working fine w/o any issues i.e. stroke/compression lock or looseness and there is no noticeable deterioration in handling or ride quality.

Abarth Five O
07-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Eureka! Found the culprit, a loose perch collar ring (which is useless) on the left rear strut.:frantic4yc:

Tweak
07-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Eureka! Found the culprit, a loose perch collar ring (which is useless) on the left rear strut.:frantic4yc:

Good you tracked it down! :D

sjmst
01-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Hmmm. My car just hit 40,000 miles and I have that exact same knocking sound. Maybe the same thing. Hope so.

Abarth Five O
01-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Hmmm. My car just hit 40,000 miles and I have that exact same knocking sound. Maybe the same thing. Hope so.
Do you have BC COs too? I used Loctite to secure perch ring and after over 5k miles, still good w/ no knocking sound.

Ryephile
01-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Glad you found it. It's actually a fairly common issue with coil-overs, right there with loose sway-bar drop-links.

sjmst
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
oh, wait...I don't have coilovers!

FTY
01-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Not yet....Ill work on you.

sjmst
01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Not yet....Ill work on you.

thewave

Abarth Five O
01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Good opportunity to upgrade your suspension and get rid of that knocking sound. :glee:

sjmst
01-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Warmer out and no more knock. fingersx

sjmst
03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Warmer out and no more knock. fingersx

Well, the knocking sound DID come back, And it turns out from the front, not rear. So, I brought my Abarth to Westbury FIAT service for the knocking from front suspension. They replaced BOTH front struts. Also, the lower side molding was coming off and they fixed that.
It took two weeks, BUT, they gave me a free loaner car for the entire time. They are open until midnight, so I got there at 10 at night, handed them the keys to the loaner and got my car (which was washed and clean). NO Charge and no more knocking/ clunking.
All good.

trevc
03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Great to hear it is all resolved!

Well, the knocking sound DID come back, And it turns out from the front, not rear. So, I brought my Abarth to Westbury FIAT service for the knocking from front suspension. They replaced BOTH front struts. Also, the lower side molding was coming off and they fixed that.
It took two weeks, BUT, they gave me a free loaner car for the entire time. They are open until midnight, so I got there at 10 at night, handed them the keys to the loaner and got my car (which was washed and clean). NO Charge and no more knocking/ clunking.
All good.

Fiat500USA
03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the update. Good to know for those who are having a similar issues.

Tweak
03-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Great to hear it is all resolved!

What Trevor said!

sjmst
03-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks, all, For two weeks, I was driving their loaner, a Jeep Compass. Not terrible, but the gas mileage no where close to the Abarth. Getting back into my car, it was like getting into a rocket! :cheerful:

ophidia31
03-26-2014, 10:10 PM
They are open until midnight.

:EEK:

Lucky if any car related places are open past 6pm around here.

sjmst
03-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Yes, and it wasn't just some person at the desk collecting money and giving your key to you. There were mechanics working on cars even at 10:30PM