PDA

View Full Version : 3M Paint Defender Tested: Does DIY Paint Protection Work?

Andree
07-14-2013, 08:55 PM
"Those guys who brought you the Sticky Note have now found a way to bring paint protection film to your garage in a do-it-yourself form. The new 3M product is called Paint Defender, and it's a film that's sprayed on as a liquid, then dries as a solid.

In case you missed that, you spray a liquid onto your car's paint, and it dries as a solid piece of plastic."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1084925_3m-paint-defender-tested-does-diy-paint-protection-work

It's removable too. I'm thinking this could be useful as part of "winterizing the car". Wheels, lower body, for those snowy areas that also get the road salt.

FTY
07-14-2013, 09:08 PM
That was posted a month or two ago here and it seems to get mixed reviews. A lot of it has to do with the prep and how its applied, some people complaining its not thick enough.

SP1
07-16-2013, 01:24 PM
About a month ago, I had a detail customer who sprayed this product on the front of his 2 week old 2013 Honda Accord.http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/Showroom_FX/006_zps550abdfe.jpg

Here is the hood after he applied the product. Realizing that he did not like the effect, he tried to peel it off with little success. He brought it to me to see what I could do. I used a citrus based solvent and plastic razor blade to remove the film.:
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/Showroom_FX/001_zps8010312c.jpg

Once all of the 3M product was removed, I polished and waxed the hood.
http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/Showroom_FX/004_zps57891000.jpg

trevc
07-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Any ideas on what might have happened? Bad preparation or just not a good product?

SP1
07-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Any ideas on what might have happened? Bad preparation or just not a good product?

The owner claimed to follow directions as instructed on the container. He also stated that he drove the car within 5 hours of application. The film looked very uneven and matte-like after application. It could have not had enough time to cure before driving. He was very happy just to have it removed.

Gigante
07-16-2013, 03:57 PM

Hey Trevc, I am will attempt this tomorrow in preparation for my drive to FFO. I will be sure to follow all of the prep work and in the sequence they instruct. I may do a small test to see how well it works. From what I read you can under apply and over apply as well. If too much is applied the solution looks milky white and will require additional drying time. Either way, its worth a shot. I'll keep everyone posted.

trevc
07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks Gigante. If it works it will be the solution I am looking for!

Hey Trevc, I am will attempt this tomorrow in preparation for my drive to FFO. I will be sure to follow all of the prep work and in the sequence they instruct. I may do a small test to see how well it works. From what I read you can under apply and over apply as well. If too much is applied the solution looks milky white and will require additional drying time. Either way, its worth a shot. I'll keep everyone posted.

Andree
07-16-2013, 06:34 PM
The owner claimed to follow directions as instructed on the container. He also stated that he drove the car within 5 hours of application. The film looked very uneven and matte-like after application. It could have not had enough time to cure before driving. He was very happy just to have it removed.

I don't think the product is meant for huge applications, like an entire hood. I'd think it would be good for the area by the lower wheel wells, where bits of dirt are always flying.

Abarth619
08-20-2013, 09:53 PM
I was going to do this, but ended negotiating the 3M clear bra into my Abarth purchase. When I heard and read about it a while back, I posted it here. Here's my original post that has some reviews and articles attached. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10062-For-those-who-refuse-to-pay-big-for-paint-chip-protection

Abarth619
08-20-2013, 10:05 PM
I totally agree with you Andree about applying it to the wheel well areas where rocks are a huge issue. I bought the kit a while ago to use on my FJ, but never used it. Now I know where I'm using it, great idea! I'm also applying it to the top of the rear bumper where the hatch is. It could protect the bumper from scratches when loading and unloading things into the hatch.

Heck maybe I'll also try to apply it to the painted parts of the door sills to protect them from careless shoes. My wife is notorious for sloppy exiting from the cars I've owned and causing scratches on the sills. I guess that's bound to happen when you carry a big bag and wear very sensible shoes all the time. :) Its worth a try I guess.

Haring
08-21-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't know if they're on these boards but there was an Abarth at FFO13 that looked like they used this on their hood and had issues removing it. It looked like a bad sunburn when the skin starts flaking off.

ALadies500L
08-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I totally agree with you Andree about applying it to the wheel well areas where rocks are a huge issue. I bought the kit a while ago to use on my FJ, but never used it. Now I know where I'm using it, great idea! I'm also applying it to the top of the rear bumper where the hatch is. It could protect the bumper from scratches when loading and unloading things into the hatch.

Heck maybe I'll also try to apply it to the painted parts of the door sills to protect them from careless shoes. My wife is notorious for sloppy exiting from the cars I've owned and causing scratches on the sills. I guess that's bound to happen when you carry a big bag and wear very sensible shoes all the time. :) Its worth a try I guess.

Sheesh all shoes are sensible!