PDA

View Full Version : Some trouble starting the car

wilbmeister
07-13-2013, 11:16 PM
I searched the forum but couldn't find a thread on this even though i thought I saw one in the past. Twice today when I went to start the car it would just turn over. This last time it took about 6 or 7 tries before the car would start. I haven't had this before. Does anyone else have this problem? What is the cause and what is the fix?
Thanks!

Tweak
07-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Recall or TSB on starter bolts comes to mind...

musicsurf
07-14-2013, 07:42 AM
I had that happen to me about a month and a half ago. Tried to start it and it just turned over. Tried again and it started. Fast forward to a week and a half ago and it wouldn't start at all, just turn over. I had it towed to the studio and it turned out to be a short in the wiring harness and they have to replace it. I'm not saying that is what's wrong with yours because it doesn't seem like a common issue, but I wanted to let you know regardless.

jguerdat
07-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Rut-row (or however Scooby sez it)...

Got an OBDII reader? Check for pending codes, especially when the problem is happening. When it does start, is there anything that you hear or feel that's out of the norm, such as sputtering until the plugs are cleared of raw fuel? Does flooring the gas when trying to start do anything? Obviously, I'm looking at flooded conditions with these comments.

Doesn't sound like starter bolts if the starter is turning over ok. Those might end up with a jammed starter or no starter engagement.

wilbmeister
07-14-2013, 09:08 AM
I just went out to see what would happen this morning and the car started right away. When it happened yesterday it was right after a friend took it for a ride. I am wondering if when he shut it off he gave it gas and flooded the engine. I will see how it goes today after I've driven it.

Felnus
07-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Makes one wonder how much hooning your friend was doing with your car...

wilbmeister
07-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Makes one wonder how much hooning your friend was doing with your car...

Fortunately, I was with him!

Felnus
07-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Fortunately, I was with him!

Ah, a critical piece of information! Supervised hooning is better than unsupervised hooning.

How many miles are on it? Was the last tank of gas purchased anywhere different from usual?

Abarth Phreak
07-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Can a car be "flooded" with an electronic type pedal set-up?

Also, "man to man hooning" just doesn't seem right when said out loud...:gtfo:

jguerdat
07-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Can a car be "flooded" with an electronic type pedal set-up?

I haven't used the gas pedal for years while starting a computerized/fuel-injected car yet had to have my Prelude towed back to the dealer one day when it wouldn't start. They diagnosed being flooded although I never touched the pedal. Thank goodness for warranty coverage.

Also, "man to man hooning" just doesn't seem right when said out loud...:gtfo:

:-)

Fiat500USA
07-14-2013, 08:59 PM
... Twice today when I went to start the car it would just turn over...

Sounds like the starter isn't turning the engine over, so I would look at this: Fiat 500 Recall N15 - Starter Motor Mounting Bolts on early cars (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10004-Fiat-500-Recall-N15-Starter-Motor-Mounting-Bolts-on-early-cars)

wilbmeister
07-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Sounds like the starter isn't turning the engine over, so I would look at this: Fiat 500 Recall N15 - Starter Motor Mounting Bolts on early cars (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10004-Fiat-500-Recall-N15-Starter-Motor-Mounting-Bolts-on-early-cars)

Thanks for this reply but the engine is turning over. Also my car is a 2013. I had 4 opportunities to start the car today with no problems. I will keep an eye on it for any future problems and have the studio check on it next time I'm in there....or if this causes me to go sooner.

wilbmeister
07-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Ah, a critical piece of information! Supervised hooning is better than unsupervised hooning.

How many miles are on it? Was the last tank of gas purchased anywhere different from usual?

I have just over 9000 miles on it. I don't always use the same gas station but I always use 93 octane.

Fiat500USA
07-17-2013, 01:23 AM
I seem to recall the starting procedure in the book says something about holding the key for a longer period of time than I would normally do (10 or 15 seconds?). In both my Prima and Abarth, I have occasionaly let go of the key before the engine started. I describe it as normally I'll hold the key for a say a second and the car starts, but occasionally it will take maybe another second to start. I am so used to the car taking 1 second I just let go of the key by force of habit. Just describing my experience that I have noticed.

musicsurf
07-17-2013, 06:10 AM
When I brought my car in the service rep also tried to start it a couple times for like 15-30 seconds saying that if it sits for a little while you may have to crank it for an extended period to prime the system.

BigDaddySRT
07-17-2013, 07:02 AM
When I brought my car in the service rep also tried to start it a couple times for like 15-30 seconds saying that if it sits for a little while you may have to crank it for an extended period to prime the system.

As soon as you turn the Key ON, the Fuel Pump Relay Ignites and the Fuel Pump Primes the Fuel Pressure System.

You should turn the Key to ON, allow the Fuel System to Prime for a second, and then turn the Key Complete to Turn the Starter.

bryanintowson
07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
It doesn't sound unusual. My early build 2012 did this once in a while but *knocks on wood* hasn't done it in ages.

FiatCares
07-17-2013, 02:47 PM

It could be the starter bolts on the starter ... the 2013 bolts are galvanized and not grounded...

jguerdat
07-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Why would the engine crank but not start if it were starter bolts?

cgpiper
09-29-2013, 07:43 PM
I don't know if this is the same thing, but over the past couple of weeks my 2013 Abarth (15,000 miles) has been a little glitchy in starting. Once in a while I'll turn the key and the engine will turn over fine but it won't fire. Whenever I do it a second time it'll fire right up. It doesn't happen often, but until just started doing this recently. I'm going to check with the dealer when I get the chance but wondered if there was any more thought to the issue here. This NEVER happened up until recently.

stratofortress
09-30-2013, 02:22 AM
As soon as you turn the Key ON, the Fuel Pump Relay Ignites and the Fuel Pump Primes the Fuel Pressure System.

You should turn the Key to ON, allow the Fuel System to Prime for a second, and then turn the Key Complete to Turn the Starter.This could very well be the culprit.

I had this issue maybe 3 times with mine that has sub 10k and that was back when I would just go straight to ignition. Ever since I flip the key to on, wait a couple of secs then fire the motor haven't had a problem since. These little guys are finicky with their fuel systems!

jguerdat
09-30-2013, 07:35 AM
I've noticed a pause on occasion between hitting the Start position on the key and actual mechanical activity. I've assumed it was something priming (fuel pump?) so I've taken to pausing a second before actually trying to engage the starter. Haven't had a problem - yet...

cgpiper
09-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Ok, I think I have it. I went to my new dealer today to check on something else and mentioned the problem to the service manager (also new and learning the Fiat fast). He said he had a couple of others come in with the same problem. His answer was that if the oil pressure is not optimum (as in a low oil level) the first crank simply builds pressure so that the engine is protected. Then it fires in the second try. I happen to be almost a quart low since I'm changing the oil next week, so it makes sense. I'll know for sure after I'm back to full capacity.

Abarth619
09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Once in a while mine does a similar thing. Its takes 6 to 7 engine turns before the engine starts. Its happened about 3 to 4 times since I bought the car last month.

bryanintowson
10-01-2013, 10:00 AM
After having my FIAT for over a year now - it has never *not* started. I think what we are seeing is just one of those lovely Italian car quirks that we invited on ourselves with the purchase of our cars.

I can live with it. la dolce vita, non?

rovo64
10-16-2013, 11:48 AM
This also happens to me. I have a 2013 Abarth with 17,401 miles. From time to time when I turn the key to start, the engine turns over but won't fire. Turn the key back and restart, cranks right up. It must have somthing to do with the priming of the fueling system. The car did seat for about 4 weeks and it took me maybe three tries to get it to start. Very strange.

Tweak
10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
This also happens to me. I have a 2013 Abarth with 17,401 miles. From time to time when I turn the key to start, the engine turns over but won't fire. Turn the key back and restart, cranks right up. It must have somthing to do with the priming of the fueling system. The car did seat for about 4 weeks and it took me maybe three tries to get it to start. Very strange.

A 2-3 second pause before starting seems to help for some.

FiatCares
10-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Rovo64: Has the studio take a look?

luka
10-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Happens to my 500T every once in a while, but only if I don't wait a couple of seconds to start it.

wilbmeister
10-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Rovo64: Has the studio take a look?

I told the studio about this and they said they have heard nothing about it. They were going to continue to check on any fixes that might come up. I have to say that after experiencing the problem a few months ago for about 5 times total, it has not happened since. Hopefully it won't happen again.