PDA

View Full Version : Fiat vs. Fiat: Electric 500e and 500 Turbo

Andree
07-12-2013, 05:01 PM
"But most buyers will care more about how the 500e compares to conventional gas-powered cars. So we lined up a Fiat 500 Turbo test car, the closest fossil-fueled match to the 500e and a strong entry in the fierce small-car segment.

Our 500 Turbo test car came with an as-tested price of $24,300. The electric 500 we tested recently penciled out almost exactly the same, at $24,545, once $10,000 in state and federal subsidies are subtracted. Their powertrains couldn’t be more different, yet they offer similar performance: 111 horsepower and 147 pound-feet of torque for the electric, compared with 135 and 150, respectively, for the Turbo."

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-fiat-vs-fiat-electric-500e-and-500-turbo-comparison-test-20130711,0,7132897.story

Andree
07-12-2013, 06:23 PM
By the way, I consider the two cars a draw when it comes to the "noise" factor. After hearing the Abarth, I can understand why the sound of the vehicle can be music to the ears. But I also enjoy nature sounds, and silence.

Living close enough to a main thoroughfare means I often wish there were MORE silent vehicles. Like when I'm trying to sleep. "Hey, you people out there, shut up, go home, take that noisy vehicle with you!"

And I like to think of the idea of absolute silence on a freeway if all cars were the 500e. No fumes. No revving engines. Just whisper quiet. Or of nature drives, where you hear birdsong, crickets, frogs, etc.

That is a precious option to have these days, silence. I'm sure many people will prefer the silence of the 500e. Or the clean sound of their audio equipment without having to compete with engine noise.