PDA

View Full Version : TireRack comparo up!

jguerdat
07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
The latest test for Extreme Performance tires is now up:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=172

It compares the BFG Rival, Dunlop Direzza ZII, Bridgestone Re-11A, and Yoko AD-08R, all new tires for this year. It's on a BMW without optimized tire pressures, etc., etc. but gives a basis for comparison. The Dunlop is pretty close to the Rival (they all are, frankly) so we're not giving up much, if anything, by not having a good size for these cars. The Bridgestone is the better tire for wet conditions but none are slugs.

Now to wait for the GRM tests which has to be coming along relatively soon..

shagghie
07-12-2013, 12:38 PM
My take on this review is that if you read through the lines and ignore the daily driver comfort aspects, the ZII was the winner. "the Dunlop Direzza ZII, which sliced through the transitions of the five-cone slalom and carved around the tight, 180-degree turn with relative ease. This tire's proficiency in these two areas helped it post the quickest average lap time of the test."

-That's the single most important statement of the bunch, and given the ZII's have excellent heat profiles well suited for auto-X, it's hard to go any other route... imHo

jguerdat
07-12-2013, 04:05 PM
My take on this review is that if you read through the lines and ignore the daily driver comfort aspects, the ZII was the winner.

No argument here. The first thing I do for any of TR's tests is to go straight to the graphs and totally ignore the comfort category. I don't buy tires (or cars) based on comfort - that's way down on my list...

cgpiper
07-15-2013, 02:50 AM
This would be a lot cooler if Dunlop came in 205/40-17...

In the stock size (for the optional 17" wheels) Tire Rack has the following tires available:

Pirelli P Zero Nero
BFG g-Force Super Sport A/S
BFG g-Force Sport Comp-2
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
General G-Max
Hankook Ventius
Kumho Ecsta
Sumitomo HTR
Firestone Firehawk

Since none of these tires are in the report, does anyone know of other reports that compare any of them?

jguerdat
07-15-2013, 06:53 AM
The 215/40-17 gives you a bit of extra width without the diameter problem so there's no real need for a 205/40-17. Now, a 225/35-17... ;)

The tires you list above are a definite step down from the tires in the test I posted. So, it depends on what you're after - ultimate performance from a street tire (your only real choice is the Dunlop Z2) or "good enough" from one of the others. Since some from your list are all-season (note the "AS" in the designation) we can discard those. Slogging through the others and checking which models are available in the 205/40 size (the Hankook and Kumho have multiple lines with the designation you posted), there's not one that has a test available for it, leading to the suspicion that they're not performance leaders. Of your list, which assumes you want to stay strictly to the stock size, I'd either stick with the Pirellis or switch to the BFG Comp-2 - at least those are known entities.

shagghie
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Agree with Jeff above... Comp 2's are the best bet if (for some reason) you don't want to go with 215/40/17, in which case the Z2's all day long.
I ran the Kuhmo Ecsta's on my build Corrado, and they only lasted one summer on the street (no auto-x or track days). They gripped "OK" but felt a little spongy and the off-center feeling was a little numb compared to the Pilot Sports I had prior to that summer. The Z2's are in an entirely different league from that last however, worth it for the breaking power along, let along the handling, lol.