PDA

View Full Version : saw my first 500Ls

nolalou
07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I had my car (2012 500 Sport) at the dealer yesterday for a routine service, and got to look around the lot at the new cars. They had 4 500L's on the lot 2 Back with white roof, and 2 red, one a solid color and one with a black roof. Nice looking cars, and as they were not locked, I was able to sit in the drivers seat. One was a pop with manual trans for under 20 grand, the others were all 500L Easy, and over 26 thousand., (with all the bells & whistles, rear camera, gps, etc).

Nice looking cars, but to be honest, as I'm single and for the kind of driving I do, even if these were available when I bought by 500 Sport, I probably wouldn't get the 500L. (though I might have gone for the 500 Turbo if it had been available).
I can see there's a market for the 500L, especially for people who have kids or frequently have back seat passengers. Nice addition to the Fiat line.

Andree
07-11-2013, 03:47 PM
It's definitely the car the line needed. The 500L Pop model has a great price. And you really have to have the four doors if you carry adult passengers on a regular basis. It's a completely different car from the regular 500.

I still think it should have gotten it's own name/number. I noticed on some dealership sites, they sort by Pop, Sport, Easy, Lounge. That's fine if you're looking for a Sport regular 500 or an Easy 500L. But if you're looking for a Pop, it will pull up both kinds, same with the Lounge.

I'd consider the naming the biggest mistake they've made yet. If it's the letters that designate the vehicle type, what do I call my car? It has no letters. It's a "regular 500". Not a convertible, not a Sport, not a Turbo, not an Abarth, not an L. I can't even adopt the letter "L" for the regular lounge, because it's on the new car. And I don't want to call it a Fiat 500 Lounge, because that is supposedly part of the "L" name. Lounge or Loft. And saying "regular 500" is getting old. LOL.

sbulla
07-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I think the L is also good for people who are used to a bigger car and just don't feel comfortable in a small two door car. I didn't necessarily need the extra room, but the 500L suited me better. My dealer has sold out of initial shipment and has a waiting list for the next ones. Everyone is starting to say to me " the Italians are coming, the Italians are coming"

cmj912
07-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I finally saw a Trekking; very slick looking car. All of the models are definitely more elegant in proportion than in the photographs.

Andree
07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I think the L is also good for people who are used to a bigger car and just don't feel comfortable in a small two door car. I didn't necessarily need the extra room, but the 500L suited me better. My dealer has sold out of initial shipment and has a waiting list for the next ones. Everyone is starting to say to me " the Italians are coming, the Italians are coming"

No kidding? Your dealer sold out AND there's a waiting list? Wow! When the car is right, it will sell.

ciddyguy
07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I had my car (2012 500 Sport) at the dealer yesterday for a routine service, and got to look around the lot at the new cars. They had 4 500L's on the lot 2 Back with white roof, and 2 red, one a solid color and one with a black roof. Nice looking cars, and as they were not locked, I was able to sit in the drivers seat. One was a pop with manual trans for under 20 grand, the others were all 500L Easy, and over 26 thousand., (with all the bells & whistles, rear camera, gps, etc).

Nice looking cars, but to be honest, as I'm single and for the kind of driving I do, even if these were available when I bought by 500 Sport, I probably wouldn't get the 500L. (though I might have gone for the 500 Turbo if it had been available).
I can see there's a market for the 500L, especially for people who have kids or frequently have back seat passengers. Nice addition to the Fiat line.

I'm single too, but even I am looking at the L, which stands for Large BTW since it's larger than the regular 500. That said, I feel comfortable in either size car as I've had a 2nd gen civic once that was slightly longer than the 500, but with 67HP and had NO issues with it at the time, even driving it on the interstate for an 8 hour road trip to Medford OR via I-5 twice in the same summer.

But that was in the 1990's and today, I feel my needs are changing and I see more of a car the size of the L being fitting my needs better, now that I drive an older Mazda Protege5 that is pretty much the same length, and has 5 doors (yes, a hatchback too). I found out how much easier it is to load when you have to drop the rear seats, and load it up. Having those back doors really helps there, and definitely if you see yourself hauling friends, even on occasion, and you don't sacrifice much for city living/parking either. Heck, even for its size, and weight, the gas mileage is quite decent, certainly better than my Mazda, which gets maybe 28mpg Hwy if I'm lucky, and running pure gas, not this E10 crap I run now, but not by choice since the L gets around 32Hwy, 24 or so city, with a 28 combined average.

In the end, for us owners/potential owners who do home depot runs, haul kids, hit estate sales, the L is a much more versatile design than the little 500, but still retains a sense of style.

Felnus
07-11-2013, 09:52 PM
I had an appointment at the studio today as well. The 500L is HUGE. On the inside. I couldn't believe how much room there was in the back seat. And the feeling of space from the glass all around is a very different experience from most modern vehicles.

Cammilla500L
07-13-2013, 12:15 PM

I agree, the size is perfect for me. I'm widowed and live alone, but I'm always hauling family and friends around. I traded a 2008 Grand Caravan and a 2009 Nissan Sentra in on it. Both those cars were paid off. They also gave me blue book instead of trade in value and made my payments with an extended warranty for $189.06 a month. The salesman asked me what it would take to get me into the car and I told him payments under $200 a month. :)

When I bought mine there was only 3 automatics left and 5 manuals. They told me they got a total of 28 in.

My sister was wanting to buy a 2014 Dodge Dart GT......but now is rethinking and considering the 500L Lounge. She is going to wait and test drive the Dart in October before making her final decision. I hope she goes for the 500L.