PDA

View Full Version : ODBII Noob here, Help me experts

GetsThruBuckner
07-09-2013, 08:07 PM
So I recently ordered an ODBII Bluetooth adapter. I am a complete noob on this, and without even receiving the thing yet, I feel as though i'm already in over my head. I purchased an mini-ELM327 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/300870978320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649). I was told by several others that this should work just fine. In anticipation of receiving the adapter I purchased an android app from Google play, namely "Torque". In addition to Torque, I purchased a FIAT specific plug-in for Torque that is supposed to offer much more to the ABARTH. Now here is where the trouble starts.

I just recently learned what PIDs were, and now this plug-in has many that I have no clue about. Can some of you inform me on what each of these sensors actually means? Here is the list.

1. Injector Pulse Width
2. VVT Oil Temperature
3. Canister Charge
4. Canister Duty Cycle
5. Current Engine Speed
6. Target Engine Speed
7. Exhaust Gas Temperature
8. Instant Fuel Flow
9. Engine Torque
10. Knock Voltage Cyl 1 (and so on through Cyl 4)
11. Lambda Heater Duty
12. ECU Odometer
13. Cruise Control Target (Kinda think I understand this one)
14. Throttle Body Opening
15. DT1 Calc
16. DT2 Calc

If anyone tell me what these PIDs actully measure, and how they can help me learn to tweak my car, It would be greatly appreciated! beerchug

P.S.- Can I leave this ODBII adapter plugged into the port all the time? or is it good practice to remove it?

Haring
07-09-2013, 09:46 PM
I'd be interested in knowing too. I ended up putting smaller guages on just to see things light up. It'd be nice to know what they all meant :D

dart1.4t
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
So I recently ordered an ODBII Bluetooth adapter. I am a complete noob on this, and without even receiving the thing yet, I feel as though i'm already in over my head. I purchased an mini-ELM327 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/300870978320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649). I was told by several others that this should work just fine. In anticipation of receiving the adapter I purchased an android app from Google play, namely "Torque". In addition to Torque, I purchased a FIAT specific plug-in for Torque that is supposed to offer much more to the ABARTH. Now here is where the trouble starts.

I just recently learned what PIDs were, and now this plug-in has many that I have no clue about. Can some of you inform me on what each of these sensors actually means? Here is the list.

1. Injector Pulse Width
2. VVT Oil Temperature
3. Canister Charge
4. Canister Duty Cycle
5. Current Engine Speed
6. Target Engine Speed
7. Exhaust Gas Temperature
8. Instant Fuel Flow
9. Engine Torque
10. Knock Voltage Cyl 1 (and so on through Cyl 4)
11. Lambda Heater Duty
12. ECU Odometer
13. Cruise Control Target (Kinda think I understand this one)
14. Throttle Body Opening
15. DT1 Calc
16. DT2 Calc

If anyone tell me what these PIDs actully measure, and how they can help me learn to tweak my car, It would be greatly appreciated! beerchug

P.S.- Can I leave this ODBII adapter plugged into the port all the time? or is it good practice to remove it?

1. the % time the injector stays open. more pulse width = more fuel flow rate.
2. have an idea but not 100%. seems to be oil temperature in the head used for the variable valve timing...
3. evap related. i'll try to get more specifics.
4. evap related.
5. RPM
6. commanded rpm. the drive by wire throttle will provide acceleration until this rpm is reached with the current throttle pedal positions.
7. temperature of the exhaust gasses
8. similar to #1. but may have unit for fuel flow rate and correction for injector open/close time. 1 is a measurement of the electrical signal to the injectors and this is an attempt to read what comes out of the injectors.
9. calculated torque or perhaps commanded torque. the drive by wire throttle and boost control will attempt to reach a certain amount of torque from the engine for different conditions.
10. knock sensor reading. should be a sound wave when there is knock as far as i know. if the car pings from cheap gas or too much heat this is what tells the ecu to pull timing.
11. this has to do with the o2 sensor heater. o2 sensors read a/f ratio. they need to be hot to operate. untill it is hot the car must run in open loop mode where it calculates air mass going into the engine based on rpm and air density and trys to match a fuel amount to that. with the sensor hot it switches to closed loop or feedback mode where it makes corrections if the a/f ratio is not where is should be. in closed loop mode the engine can hold a tighter a/f ratio and will run leaner. in open loop mode it is safer for the engine to run rich and rich running helps cold start conditions.
12. miles on your car.
13. probably cruise control set speed. but if the current speed is not the set speed it may plot a curve to get back to the set speed smoothly. this number may also be the point on that curve that the car should be at.
14. the actual % the throttle blade is open. this may vary from the position of your foot because of the drive by wire throttle.
15./16. i'll look into it

i leave mine in the car....

GetsThruBuckner
07-09-2013, 10:35 PM
+1 :rockon: Thank you @dart1.4t for your incredibly informative answer. An additional thank you for taking the time to type all that info. I'm not certain how I am going to utilize all this new info :dunce:, but I have to start somewhere if I'm going to learn. You are the man :pimp:!

@Haring, I was planning to do the same until I learned. Like "oooooo look at all these pretty lights :emmersed:" though I have no idea what they mean. Lol

GetsThruBuckner
08-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Was anyone able to get more specifics? Also what sensors are forum members reading on their Torque (or other) app?

Kurumi
08-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I got Torque to see all sorts of OBD II parameters including boost pressure (at least what the ECU is putting out).

Fiat500USA
08-29-2013, 01:23 AM
FYI: There is going to be a Fiat program similar to VAG Com coming out. My car was used to develop it with the help of a member here on the forum.

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 07:07 AM
#8 is probably going to be fuel flow in gallons per hour or liters per hour depending upon your selected units of measure, when used with your speed it give MPG miles per gallon. Just remember to keep one eye on the road when driving! It's really easy to get distracted trying to read all this information - better yet have someone else drive while you check out the data.

GetsThruBuckner
08-31-2013, 02:30 AM
My current setup. Now I now we dont have a MAF sensor :doh:

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=4515efb897&view=att&th=140cf7c18d1ae4b5&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1444801970379423744-local0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9XfXqsuStTYAWc6NNgHJSn&sadet=1377930507680&sads=qa2Eplu4mFb1YC_EPV0tt4zOi3I

nickpratt2010
01-06-2015, 09:52 PM
I got Torque to see all sorts of OBD II parameters including boost pressure (at least what the ECU is putting out).

I know it's old but what do you have your boost set to in the torque app settings?