PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Repair ~ Removal of Light Scratches

Sardo Girl
07-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi ~
Anybody out there know anything about an effective and inexpensive fix to reduce the appearance of a couple fine light scratches?
Happened while cleaning ~ Probably caused by using a soft cloth "harboring" a very tiny particle of something sharp.
Is the new FIAT windshield made of just standard shatterproof glass or is it a hard durable plastic that is coated with something that would make any kind of repair impossible?
The car is a 2012 500 Lounge.
Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated ~
R

ReconTopher
07-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I'd like to know too. I have about 5 up in the top right of my windshield. Didn't notice them until I drove off the lot and the sun hit the windshield just right.

Curious
07-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Suggest you call a window/glass repair shop. They will come to where you are and may be able to buff out the marks, maybe not. If the glass needs to be replaced then I suggest you go straight to your dealer about that. If your car came with these scratches then they may replace the glass under warranty. Then again they could say this happened after you took delivery of your car.

If the glass has to be replaced and if it's not a warranty item then you should contact your car insurance company. Many policies cover glass replacement. And if it does have to be replaced then you should insist that it be replaced with "Fiat" brand glass. Look closely at all windows in your car and you will see "Fiat" stamped on to every single piece of glass on your 500, really no kidding. And I bet it will take some time to get a "Fiat" brand of glass shipped. Patience is a virtue. Good luck with it. For now it's just a minor annoyance.

rob_lewis
07-10-2013, 10:40 AM
It will take a while before the Fiat ones are available. Wife had a rock hit hers and had two cracks withing a mile or two. Called the dealer for replacement glass and they have no idea when they'll be available.

-Rob

Mike S
07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
This works but follow the instructions.

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html