PDA

View Full Version : Cabrio Speed Governor

cranialnerve
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I have an abarth convertible, and it is speed govornered at 87mph, is this a factory setting or a computer problem. I can't imagine they set it at that. Owners Manual info says it is set at 130

500cSquirrel
07-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Top up or down. Top down I believe the Cabrios are limited to 90 to stop the top from coming apart. If top is up and you are hitting the governor definitely take it in.

b56.1m6
07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
There was some discusion about this, do a search. I believe there is a lowered governed speed when the top is down, did this happen top up or down?

FTY
07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Top up or down. Top down I believe the Cabrios are limited to 90 to stop the top from coming apart. If top is up and you are hitting the governor definitely take it in.

Yes 100% correct. With the top up its 130mph, top down 90mph. It may be a bad sensor or programming preventing it from reaching higher than 90mph with the top up.

William M Jacocks Jr
07-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I can see this, bringing the car to the shop and telling them it won't go over 90... wtf! :dunno:jestera

Tweak
07-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Since you have the answer and more replies here I fixed the title for spelling errors, moved the single reply from the duplicate thread, then removed the other thread as this one seems to be active and has offered the answers needed.

Abarth Phreak
07-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Since you have the answer and more replies here I fixed the title for spelling errors, moved the single reply from the duplicate thread, then removed the other thread as this one seems to be active and has offered the answers needed.

Always on the ball TWEAK!

...and this thread just made me not want a Cabrio anymore...:cuddle:

Also, I am probably wrong, but did I not read somewhere that the 500 Abarth is Drag Limited at about 127...not necessarily speed governed at 130??? (This is a question not a debate...lol)

Shagnwrx
07-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Also, I am probably wrong, but did I not read somewhere that the 500 Abarth is Drag Limited at about 127...not necessarily speed governed at 130??? (This is a question not a debate...lol)

Drag limited is correct. Atleast that is what all of the car rags are reporting in their performance data for the Abarth.

ReconTopher
07-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Even if the roof is one inch open, that limiter is in place and 90 mph is the top speed. Really freaked me out the first time it did it.

jguerdat
07-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Ha! I have always remembered the various mags saying it was electronically limited to 130 but I had to look again. It's a little tough to find online tests that state conclusively but I found two statements by Car and Driver that flip-flopped. One said drag-limited, the other said electronically. It may be that the drag limit is very close to the electronic limit so it can be confused. Not sure why they'd choose the electronic limit so close to drag but maybe someone will take it downhill with a tailwind and kill themselves...

Tweak
07-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Thanks! I always try, I have seen the mention of about 130MPH but I have a friend locally with an Abarth and I am certain he said he had gotten it up to 140MPH, he isn't a guy that goes around bragging or being one of those people that have a better story, just saying no reason to doubt him. I did not ask the specifics of how it happened but I do know he travels between NC and VA rather often.

As a side note, his wife has a Gucci but is now wanting an Abarth of her own. :D

I guess I am leaning towards the limits of 130MPH being drag related not electronically but I suppose that'd just be wishful thinking even though I don't feel the need to exceed 100MPH with the Abarth, really about 80MPH is all I can see useful for me with speed limits maxing at 70MPH.

Felnus
07-10-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Byz7eU8jF0

fastgascar
10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get around the top down governor?

Tweak
10-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get around the top down governor?

I'd be concerned with potential damage beyond that speed, I would assume they limited it for a purpose but if someone figures it out I guess we might know, might wish to see what TorkMe has to say with what he can tune out, likely this would be an option he could change. (He may need a Cabrio to gather more info however).