PDA

View Full Version : How many speakers, 6, 8 or 10 and where?

Curious
07-07-2013, 02:00 PM
6987Ok I have seen a Pop, a Easy and a Lounge. On all of them I noticed speakers about 8" in size in the lower sections of the doors plus what looks like tweeter speakers in the door handles. That would make a total of 8 speakers. But wait there's possibly 2 more speakers, located in the trunk area, again about 8" inches. See bottom left of the attached picture, hope the picture gets attached.

Fiat has it on their web site that the car has only 6 speakers, even for the Treking model. So I just wonder if the standard stereo system can't power more than 6 speakers. Can the Beats system handle the extra speakers? I "think" that the Beats system may add an amplifier, stowed in the trunk area in the big space to the right of the air compressor.

Does anyone out there know the 411 here? Thanks in advance.

Andree
07-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Beats adds a subwoofer, for a total of 7 speakers.

Copy/paste from Fiat site:
"Feel the beat with 6 premium speakers and a subwoofer. Top-of-the-line audio just as Dr. Dre intended, and its available exclusively through Chrysler Group LLC."

No idea on which of the areas that look like speakers actually ARE speakers. LOL.

On this car, there's a big red "b" in the right cargo area, but no speaker with it.

http://www.fiatusaofdenver.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-20abff180a0a00de004389353bf1c66f.htm

Edit: In your pic of the cargo area, that oval grille is probably the exhaust air vent, I think. I have two in my regular 500, and had the same thing in my Honda Fit. Or maybe that's where the recirculation intakes air. Has something to do with air flow.

ciddyguy
07-07-2013, 09:31 PM
If you look at the right side of the cargo area, you will see a round grill with a bright red B in the middle, that's the 8" subwoofer for the Beats system. The non beats does not get any subwoofer, those vents you see may well be for the flow through vent system, and there is one on both sides.

In the doors, I believe they use 6.5" drivers for the regular speakers, and maybe the same for the Beats audio since they are placed in the same locations, with a low band pass filter to reduce bass information to them, and send most of it to the subwoofer in the rear for cleaner sound.

Then the tweeters, usually only up front, but the way Fiat designed the car, it looks like the rears also get tweeters, but maybe not. However, I don't think you are NOT able to add tweeters in the rear doors if you so choose or why would they have a place that looks like tweeters exist?

All I can say is the regular speakers don't sound all that great.

Andree
07-08-2013, 01:12 AM
If you look at the right side of the cargo area, you will see a round grill with a bright red B in the middle, that's the 8" subwoofer for the Beats system. The non beats does not get any subwoofer, those vents you see may well be for the flow through vent system, and there is one on both sides.

In the doors, I believe they use 6.5" drivers for the regular speakers, and maybe the same for the Beats audio since they are placed in the same locations, with a low band pass filter to reduce bass information to them, and send most of it to the subwoofer in the rear for cleaner sound.

Then the tweeters, usually only up front, but the way Fiat designed the car, it looks like the rears also get tweeters, but maybe not. However, I don't think you are NOT able to add tweeters in the rear doors if you so choose or why would they have a place that looks like tweeters exist?

All I can say is the regular speakers don't sound all that great.

You just reminded me! In the Honda Fit, I had the base model, and it had six speaker grilles, but only four speakers. The front dash tweeters were eliminated on the base model. But not the grille where the tweeters would have been, that was all intact.

I'm wondering if other countries get the 2-per-door set up, and we get a couple of dummy speaker grilles. It's probably on some model somewhere, just not ours.

This is from the UK site:
With the 500L you can turn up the volume and experience clean, high definition sound with six door and rear-quarter-mounted speakers, making it feel like you’re right there in the recording studio with your favourite artist.

Pic of lower "beats" door speaker:
http://www.fiat.co.uk/uk/fiat-500l/technology-safety

ciddyguy
07-08-2013, 10:57 AM
You just reminded me! In the Honda Fit, I had the base model, and it had six speaker grilles, but only four speakers. The front dash tweeters were eliminated on the base model. But not the grille where the tweeters would have been, that was all intact.

I'm wondering if other countries get the 2-per-door set up, and we get a couple of dummy speaker grilles. It's probably on some model somewhere, just not ours.

This is from the UK site:
With the 500L you can turn up the volume and experience clean, high definition sound with six door and rear-quarter-mounted speakers, making it feel like you’re right there in the recording studio with your favourite artist.

Pic of lower "beats" door speaker:
http://www.fiat.co.uk/uk/fiat-500l/technology-safety

What I do know is that in the US, and perhaps elsewhere most manufacturers of more modest cars anyway, almost never include tweeters in the rear of the car because hardly anyone is back there, so if anything, the larger full range drivers reside back there.

My '88 Honda Accord was like this, though it was the top flight LX-I sedan, and thus had the 6x9 speakers in the rear parcel shelf, but no tweeters though. The front doors had coaxials, of I think 6.5" diameter.

My truck had probably 2 way coaxial speakers up front too, but crappy ones at that, and I think full range 6x8 speakers in the rear of the cab (1992 Ranger w/ extended cab), and my Mazda has tweeters in the sail panels up front, but no tweeters in the rear, though the front doors do get 6x8 drivers, the rears 6.5" ones, and a small sub in the way back area - all were factory setups too.

So this means that Fiat does much the same, depending upon if the base speakers, or an upgrade, in which case, depending upon the upgraded system installed in various markets, the rear doors may get tweeters it looks like.

ivmill
07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Here's a break down of all the factory systems:

http://www.fiatusa.com/abarth/pdf/MY13_FIAT_AlpineBeats_Configuration_Fiat.pdf

ciddyguy
07-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Here's a break down of all the factory systems:

http://www.fiatusa.com/abarth/pdf/MY13_FIAT_AlpineBeats_Configuration_Fiat.pdf

That's great, but does not address what's available in the 500L. I'll have to see what they show for the L as it'll be different than the 500 most likely.

Curious
07-08-2013, 07:17 PM
That's great, but does not address what's available in the 500L. I'll have to see what they show for the L as it'll be different than the 500 most likely.

Good point. Pure speculation on my part here: I suspect that Fiat may have put tweeters in the front door handle spaces and left tweeter "covers" in the rear door handle spaces so that owners could add rear tweeters later if desired. The 50 million dollar question remains: Did Fiat pre-wire the rear doors for these future speaker additions? Now that would be good, proper forethought.

If they didn't do that then why leave the covers there? All looks but zero function!