PDA

View Full Version : 500e Lease Price

Raindrops
07-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi all,
I am looking at leasing the 500e, I don't need it immediately, so ideal timeframe is nov - dec delivery. I am on a waitlist with deposit and a good chance my number will come up before then.

Question is - the current lease deal is great. Do you think Fiat may raise the cost for lease due to high demand, so it is better to just get the car sooner before they do so? The lease offers can change anytime but apparently hasn't so far for 500e.

Or do you think Fiat will honor this price for all of the first year 500e, since it s a compliance car and they made a big deal on the lease pricing in the papers?

Thanks

Tweak
07-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Sadly I do not know any of the specifics of leasing the 500e (or any car as I have never leased one).

Raindrops
07-07-2013, 01:04 AM
[QUOTE=Tweak;617682]Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome! Would like to hear others take on what they think will happen with the 500e lease prices... That is, if everyone on the waitlist gets car at the original promotional price, or if FIAT does what any good capitalist would do, raise prices when demand exceeds supply!:single_eye:

jenkess18
07-07-2013, 01:35 AM

Thanks for the welcome! Would like to hear others take on what they think will happen with the 500e lease prices... That is, if everyone on the waitlist gets car at the original promotional price, or if FIAT does what any good capitalist would do, raise prices when demand exceeds supply!:single_eye:

I'll let you know when I get the call that our car is here!

danny_1
07-07-2013, 04:19 AM

This is just my guess: Fiat will give everyone who put a deposit down on the first set of 500e's the same deal. If I recall the number correctly, my dealer in San Diego told me their dealership was receiving 15 (or maybe 22...I really can't remember) total 500e's in the first round. I put a deposit down on 2 of them while they still had about half of those cars still available. So my guess is probably somewhat based on what I want. However, it only seems legal/fair for them to honor the launch deal for those of us who actually paid a deposit on the dealer's first allotment. I am assuming this applies to the lease or purchase.

As for the waiting list: I doubt the lease program will last beyond the first round of cars. My guess (again...just my guess) is that those who are on the waiting list (those who signed up after the car was sold out) for the lease will have a higher price to pay upfront and per month. I am guessing Fiat was mostly interested in selling these cars quickly so that they could get the cars out to test subjects in California while they work on how to reduce conversion (manufacturing) costs and increase prices on the next version so they can sell in the other states with the same regulations as California. Oh...and they were probably interested in meeting their California EV requirements quickly.

My guess is that early adopters are the ones who will get the best deals. Fiat is unlikely to continue losing money on this car.

Andree
07-07-2013, 02:32 PM
danny_1, that's probably about right.

As a compliance car, all they needed to do was sell an electric or hybrid, just a few, to meet the requirements.

As it's Fiat, they didn't do a crap job, they seem to have gone all out to make it the best electric they could.

As it's electric, I think Fiat assumed it would be a hard-sell, hence the low price and superb lease deal.

As it's received remarkable reviews, it's become THE electric car to have.

Generally model prices go up, a little bit here and there. Fifty bucks on one option, one hundred on another, a little increase on the MSRP.

And intro prices are super low, just to get the models out there for more people to see. Can't buy it if you don't know about it.

While Honda reduced their lease prices, the prices were too high in the first place. The price that made a difference to increase leases for the Honda is $259 (from $389). And that was the result of Fiat's $199 leases:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/30/honda-fit-ev-lease-drops-to-259-adds-unlimited-miles/

Remember, there IS competition. And that can drive the prices on leases, purchase price, option cost. And availability. If $259 is the magic number for states similar to California emissions standards, Fiat could do it too. And it would still be an excellent deal.

georges
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I think Fiat will keep the $199 a month Lease price because of the other companies low leases, but the dealers may not like it.
Also the price keeps rising with options and Tax added on. When I test drove the Chevy Spark the salesman said he just leased a car for $280 a month.
One Dealer I spoke with said the eSport package was $1500(which I knew was wrong).
When I went to my local Dealer back in May he said he wasn't touching that Lease and didn't know how Fiat was going to do it!
I tried to explain about the all the incentives but he wasn't buying it.

It will be interesting to see what the real demand will be when the car is actually on sale at the dealers. Also I wonder how many cars they are going to build?
Honda's making 1100 Fit EV's and Toyota's making about 2600 Rav4EV's.( both are considered compliance cars like the Fiat) So ,maybe they will build at least 1000 but
hopefully more.

Andree
07-07-2013, 02:59 PM

The publicity from the lease price and on the car itself (via reviews) is worth more than the losses suffered by Fiat per car. Seriously. The car is supposedly sold at a loss of $10,000 per car, and I'd estimate the number of cars in California to be between 1,500 and 2,000.

This is about books, but has some examples of advertising costs (and on my browser, it also has a bunch of accented As):
http://www.tessgerritsen.com/blog/major-marketing-campaign-where-does-the-money-go/

This is a prolonged advertising campaign for visiting Great Britain:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2107142/Typo-VisitBritain-advertising-campaign-costing-25million.html

And this is governmental advertising expenditures in Canada:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03/11/tories-ad-blitz-for-economic-action-plan-cost-taxpayers-21m-in-2011-12-report/

Consider this: I don't watch TV or read print newspapers. The number of Fiat advertisements I've seen via TV or newspaper: Zero. The number of reviews I've read on the Fiat vehicles: A bazillion. Advertising doesn't reach me, while reviews are always of interest. I'm looking for a good car when I car shop, not advertising hype.

Fiat can have flights of fancy via their television ad campaigns primarily because there are so many reviews of the vehicles that they don't have to promote the specifics. "The Italians are coming" ad says NOTHING about the vehicle. LOL. There aren't even any great shots of the vehicle.

All of the meaty details are in the auto magazines in print and online.

Is there even an ad FOR the Fiat 500e? How did people hear about the 500e? They were putting down deposits on a vehicle that wasn't in showrooms anywhere, based on reviews.

Raindrops
07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=georges;617727]I think Fiat will keep the $199 a month Lease price because of the other companies low leases, but the dealers may not like it.
Also the price keeps rising with options and Tax added on. When I test drove the Chevy Spark the salesman said he just leased a car for $280 a month.

That is true that the basic payment doesn't include tax and fees, plus there is that initial down payment.

Well I appreciate everyone's feedback (and if others want to chime in!!)... I'm hoping you are right that with competition, FIAT will just keep the price at original rate at least thru 2013, and get the cars out on the road and be done with their compliance.

cdeforrest
07-08-2013, 04:00 AM
I think Fiat will keep the $199 a month Lease price because of the other companies low leases, but the dealers may not like it.
Also the price keeps rising with options and Tax added on.

Well, fortunately for us, there aren't but a few options available on the 500e.
Two, I can think of: the $1k sunroof and the 'sport' package which is, what, 1" wider wheels and some red stripes?
Big deal. I'll take the 'standard', which is already nicer than a base 500.

And if dealers try to get too greedy for the 500's.. fine..let them keep it. Electrics are generally a hard sell, outside of here in Geek Central, and the only reason I'm looking at one is the monthly payment will be less than my regular fuel costs. If I -have- to have an electric, Nissan will be more than happy to sell me a Leaf with no drama.

Raindrops
07-08-2013, 05:05 PM
On one of the other forums, some posters mentioning they thought FIAT dealers would add their own dealer fee on top of MSRP because the waitlist is long and cars are limited.

I'm not sure how that would work with the lease price FIAT advertised. Is that additional cost picked up in the Residual value? Or does FIAT get out of the lease price by saying one is not "qualified" since the original advertised lease price does say "qualified lessee" and not all will qualify.

So I guess I should ask what makes one qualified for lease and see what FICO score they give? maybe they'll say something impossible like 900!

I never thought that the dealer would add to price of car, but they do that with the regular ICE cars so I suppose the 500e is fair game too.

thanks

Andree
07-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Lots of 500es coming into Studios now, and not one has had an increase on price over MSRP.

Also, I'm looking at the Build my own 500e area right now, and it suggests I might be able to lease for $92. Not me, of course, I couldn't, but other people might be able to. No details on what that requires, other than it being an estimation, and to see my dealer for details.

goforjamie
07-28-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm on the list at McKevitt FIAT, in Berkeley, and have checked in a couple times since reading about various surprises people have encountered. Kristean was very up front regarding take home costs. As long as my credit is good (it is)...

$1,000 deposit will be put toward down payment, which got my name on the list.
$500 = licensing fees
$199 = 1st month's lease payment
$7 - $14 = additional for 1st month and future payments if I get options
$17 tax on first payment

So, I'm counting on about $730 to drive away and about $230 after that. If it's more than $750 and $250, I'll gripe & post. :mad: But, I'll probably still get over it. :sneakiness:

Hoping to drive home in my new "Penguincento" (black w white highlights) next week!

BTW, I heard Burlingame is not honoring $199 and basically has the attitude of, "Well, we've got a huge waiting list, so do you want it or not?"

Andree
07-31-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm on the list at McKevitt FIAT, in Berkeley, and have checked in a couple times since reading about various surprises people have encountered. Kristean was very up front regarding take home costs. As long as my credit is good (it is)...

• $1,000 deposit will be put toward down payment, which got my name on the list.
• $500 = licensing fees
• $199 = 1st month's lease payment
• $7 - $14 = additional for 1st month and future payments if I get options
• $17 tax on first payment

So, I'm counting on about $730 to drive away and about $230 after that. If it's more than $750 and $250, I'll gripe & post. :mad: But, I'll probably still get over it. :sneakiness:

Hoping to drive home in my new "Penguincento" (black w white highlights) next week!

BTW, I heard Burlingame is not honoring $199 and basically has the attitude of, "Well, we've got a huge waiting list, so do you want it or not?"

McKevitt is very good at refunding licensing fees if they go over what it actually costs. I got a check within maybe two weeks for excess licensing fees I'd paid when I bought my car.