PDA

View Full Version : 500L Global design + new models!

Andree
07-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Fabrizio Vacca, a Turin-based Fiat designer visiting the U.S. for the first time, tells WardsAuto on the sidelines of a media launch for the 500L here that Chrysler designers had a lot of input on the 500Ls development to know what customers in the U.S. wanted. We wanted to make a product that could be for families in Europe but also for young couples in the U.S.

and

"According to a future-product plan released by Chrysler-Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne, the Italian brand is due to receive six new models in North America in the coming years."

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/fiat-thinks-globally-500l-design

ciddyguy
07-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Very interesting article indeed. Though it was built with more than just Europeans in mind, but Americans and our sensibilitites, they didn't leave out the quirkiness, and general Italian flair that is Fiat, which is good, and I think in the long run, makes for a much better designed automobile.

One thing to note with a British channel on YouTube called CarbuyerUK, they look at things like will it hold stuff, such as mobile phones, large bottles of water and stuff like that, as even they seem to look at such things, along with things like Air-Con (as they call it), and all that.

I think Europeans may be realizing that some functionality is important, as well as aesthetics, and that a good balance is possible through good design, and I've always felt that was possible, and try to find that balance in what I buy, be it a car, or whatever.

Andree
07-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Funny you mention the "hold stuff", as that is exactly what I did when I went down to test drive last year. Brought along one of the smaller plastic containers of diet cola. Didn't fit in the smaller cup holders at the very front of the regular Fiat. Cans fit fine. But I prefer the things with screw on caps.

I don't remember what article it was in that I read about Fiat's estimated US 500L demographics, but they expected about 80% to be childless. Something like that. That it would NOT be bought as a "family car" in the US. Whatever the exact number was, I don't remember, but it was a majority.

The only thing I can find offhand isn't what I'm looking for. LOL. It's in this Edmund's article where the percentage of model popularity is discussed:

"The 500L Pop gets off to a good start with its $19,900 base price (including destination): $1,000 cheaper than a base Countryman. However, Fiat officials expect only 5 percent of customers will want the Pop, because it only comes with the six-speed manual.

Instead, the bulk of sales will likely be divided between the unfortunately named Easy ($20,995) with the manual, $22,345 with the automated manual) and the Trekking ($21,995 manual, $23,345 automanual). The company hopes a quarter of buyers will make the stretch for the top-shelf Fiat 500L Lounge ($24,995), which gets the automated manual as standard."

http://www.edmunds.com/fiat/500l/2014/road-test1.html

And I think the "Easy" name is fine, like "easy going" or "take it easy", a relaxed attitude.

ciddyguy
07-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Funny you mention the "hold stuff", as that is exactly what I did when I went down to test drive last year. Brought along one of the smaller plastic containers of diet cola. Didn't fit in the smaller cup holders at the very front of the regular Fiat. Cans fit fine. But I prefer the things with screw on caps.

I don't remember what article it was in that I read about Fiat's estimated US 500L demographics, but they expected about 80% to be childless. Something like that. That it would NOT be bought as a "family car" in the US. Whatever the exact number was, I don't remember, but it was a majority.

The only thing I can find offhand isn't what I'm looking for. LOL. It's in this Edmund's article where the percentage of model popularity is discussed:

"The 500L Pop gets off to a good start with its $19,900 base price (including destination): $1,000 cheaper than a base Countryman. However, Fiat officials expect only 5 percent of customers will want the Pop, because it only comes with the six-speed manual.

Instead, the bulk of sales will likely be divided between the unfortunately named Easy ($20,995) with the manual, $22,345 with the automated manual) and the Trekking ($21,995 manual, $23,345 automanual). The company hopes a quarter of buyers will make the stretch for the top-shelf Fiat 500L Lounge ($24,995), which gets the automated manual as standard."

http://www.edmunds.com/fiat/500l/2014/road-test1.html

And I think the "Easy" name is fine, like "easy going" or "take it easy", a relaxed attitude.

When you test fit a large plastic container, did you try all three positions of the front cup holder as the bottom one was supposedly able to hold a Big Gulp, or I have read since that was designed for Americans.

In other words, 2 small cans or bottles fit fine, or one large bottle/big gulp will fit was what I read.

Andree
07-04-2013, 03:46 PM
When you test fit a large plastic container, did you try all three positions of the front cup holder as the bottom one was supposedly able to hold a Big Gulp, or I have read since that was designed for Americans.

In other words, 2 small cans or bottles fit fine, or one large bottle/big gulp will fit was what I read.

The larger area is odd, in that it has rubber "bubbles" that will compress to really HOLD whatever you put in there. With the little flair on the soda pop container, it's IN there, and requires more than a simple lift and sip soda to get it out.

I'd hoped to use the smaller holders (the pair towards the front) and then use the larger area for miscellaneous crap. LOL. The areas are all open to each other, and I currently have a clover of crap (three leafs, three openings). Sunglasses flop over into this section, the pens fall that way. And you can't use all three at the same time for round beverages, due to the overlap. Someone used a Venn diagram for the cup holders and I need the overlap space separated.

The Honda Fit wasn't any better. I think they designed their cup holders around small Styrofoam coffee cups. They narrowed towards the bottom. And if you'd put a cup that size into the holder, it would be about the same size, and you'd never get it out with the beverage intact.

I would never put a full Big Gulp in the larger holder. The "bubbles" act to compress the container, and would make the bev overflow as soon as it was placed in the holder.

These days, I kind of wish the manufacturers would make ONE REALLY GOOD CUP HOLDER rather than cramming in openings and calling them bev holders, when they really don't hold anything I pick up on the go. The driver is the one driving, and who needs the extra spot to place their beverage. If there are three other passengers, since they don't have to drive, they can darn well hold their own beverages. LOL.