PDA

View Full Version : Am i hurting my car?

13VaAbarth
07-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Ok since I bought my car a few months ago and it now has 4k miles on it, there is this squealing and metal to metal sound coming from the front right wheel area and im pretty sure its the brake dust shield. When I did take it to the dealer about 3 weeks to get it checked out it didn't make any noise and the tech said he grabbed and moved things around under my car and nothing was loose. Well now it seems like everytime I start my car after its sat overnight or just 8hrs from work the noise is pretty noticeable right away but it does go away after driving it some time. So as my title stats am I doing unforeseen damage to my car or can I wait a lil bit to take it to the dealer, cause im basically working every weekend till late august so its no dice for me to get to the dealer as it is an hr away from me and maybe 40 mins from work and I get off after 4pm most days and I doubt they would be able to fit me at that late of a time. So any advice is welcome.

ivmill
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
I've noticed this exact same thing. I'm also sitting right at 4k miles. I was thinking that the rotor had a slight warp in it. I should have looked it all over yesterday when the car was up on the lift

William M Jacocks Jr
07-03-2013, 04:52 PM
You won't see a warp in the rotor. Warping in the rotor will cause your brakes to "pulse" when you toe the brake pedal. As far as the squealing, it may be the pads vibrating in the brackets until it gets warmed up or something. I tend to use something to adhere the pads to the backing surface so it eliminates that vibration or squealing.

DS Ocampo
07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Mine got really bad over time ... Stock brakes really blow... Order new ones and you'll be good.. Checkout madness or other companies for a great replacement

FTY
07-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Ok since I bought my car a few months ago and it now has 4k miles on it, there is this squealing and metal to metal sound coming from the front right wheel area and im pretty sure its the brake dust shield. When I did take it to the dealer about 3 weeks to get it checked out it didn't make any noise and the tech said he grabbed and moved things around under my car and nothing was loose. Well now it seems like everytime I start my car after its sat overnight or just 8hrs from work the noise is pretty noticeable right away but it does go away after driving it some time. So as my title stats am I doing unforeseen damage to my car or can I wait a lil bit to take it to the dealer, cause im basically working every weekend till late august so its no dice for me to get to the dealer as it is an hr away from me and maybe 40 mins from work and I get off after 4pm most days and I doubt they would be able to fit me at that late of a time. So any advice is welcome.

I get the same thing after the car has a sat for a period of time or the off chance its left out in the rain. Its usually a small bit of corrosion that gets rubbed off the rotors after a short period of driving. Its not the best for the rotors or pads but its not the biggest of deals. As long as you have sufficient pad remaining and your rotors have substantial life left in them, you will be fine, nothing to rush off to the dealer with. Hope This helps. -Chris

13VaAbarth
07-03-2013, 11:41 PM
I guess I didn't explain myself too well they brakes are fine they are not making the noise at all its a dust shield that is loose cause when I do go over a gravel road at work its really noisy even after driving it for a while. I know this cause when I turn my wheel to right when driving the noise goes away and when I turn left it makes the noise more pronounced. So it has to be a loose dust shield for the brakes. It makes a ping sound of metal hitting metal over bumpers and scraping sound when turning left. I just want to know can I let it go for awhile or should I loose a good amount of money to get it checked out. cause Id have to take off of work.

DS Ocampo
07-04-2013, 03:12 AM
This has come up on so many cars ... Hmmm funny .. RECALL... I must have unknowingly fixed it while doing the brakes , but I had the same exact thing going on posted about it to.. But as always once u take it in they can't replicate they problem