PDA

View Full Version : Belt/Pulley Squeal

stealthy1ss
07-02-2013, 10:13 PM
I have been hearing a belt/pulley like squeal coming from the serp belt side of the engine for a while now. Haven't had time to drop it off at the dealer so they can look at it. I just want to know if someone hear has experienced this before? It only happens when the engine is at running temp and at idle. As soon as you touch the gas it goes away. Here is an autox video from last weekend where you can hear the noise that I am talking about when I am staged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUTQ2A1V54&feature=share&list=UUOBYicZ_RPX3yria114h4UQ

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 10:55 PM
I've never heard of that... You didn't do the pulley kit did you??? Some engines been known to leak oil and spash around off the half shaft.. Maybe got the belt one day and wore it out idk 0-o..

Nice run the looked fun

stealthy1ss
07-04-2013, 11:08 PM
The motor is stock minus the intake. I guess I will have to give the car to the dealership for a day so they can figure it out.

BigDaddySRT
07-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Bad Bearing in the Belt Tensioner/ Idler Pulley.

GTAAbarth
03-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Bad Bearing in the Belt Tensioner/ Idler Pulley.

Was that the problem? I just noticed mine does that on and off at idle as well

bryanintowson
04-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Mine started doing this about a month ago. Only when the engine is at temp and I'm at idle. It's very intermittent unfortunately........

streetsurfer
04-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Possibly alternator going, squeal produced when a load hits it? Or, did you happen to clutch at the time the squeal started? Sounds similar to a throw out bearing chattering/squealing as it rattles against a dry retainer tube (in other applications) . But then I have lost a bit of high frequency hearing and may not be hearing it right.

bryanintowson
04-04-2015, 10:56 AM
The squeal is intermittent at idle. Engine at temp and coming down from revs and it will give a bit of squeal and it goes away the second you touch the gas.

I drive an automatic so it's nothing to do with the clutch.

stealthy1ss
04-04-2015, 03:17 PM
I never found out what it is. My car never makes that noise anymore and it runs flawlessly.

bryanintowson
04-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Cool- hopefully it's just something seating itself.