PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof exploded like an IED!!

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Just wanted people to know that have the sunroof to watch out please.. I was on the freeway when out of nowhere my sunroof exploded.. Glass went all over and sounded like the IEDs I was in in Iraq and Afghanistan.. Glass pieces flew all inside the cabin and in my eyes. Flew off the freeway and slid to a stop.. Guy behind me thought a gun went off in my car and helped me out .. Towed to fiat of Avondale and now at premiere body shop for complete repairs of the car.. From the doors back was just cut up from glass roof down to side skirts and hatch to rear bumper ...

If some company would love to make some kind of cool cover for this I'd pay some good money for it .. Fiberglass, metal, carbon fiber... Flat or laser etched scorpion or CO. Logos .. Maybe wide roof scoop lolling thing .. Idk .. Or just an armor cover like an iPhone shield..

Got the money lets go.. 68986899

Seafarer61
07-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Not tinted right? Glad you're ok.

shagghie
07-02-2013, 11:35 AM
dang man! so sorry! You know my wife had a similar thing happen when she had her Caddy SRX... something (we still don't know what) went right through it or hit it/and bounced off...but there was glass and even glass dust swirling around in the cabin and she could barely see to pull over... a total mess! (and yes, scared the crap out of her too!). It's as if there are seagulls out there taking beryllium dumps or something!

Just wanted people to know that have the sunroof to watch out please.. I was on the freeway when out of nowhere my sunroof exploded.. Glass went all over and sounded like the IEDs I was in in Iraq and Afghanistan.. Glass pieces flew all inside the cabin and in my eyes. Flew off the freeway and slid to a stop.. Guy behind me thought a gun went off in my car and helped me out .. Towed to fiat of Avondale and now at premiere body shop for complete repairs of the car.. From the doors back was just cut up from glass roof down to side skirts and hatch to rear bumper ...

If some company would love to make some kind of cool cover for this I'd pay some good money for it .. Fiberglass, metal, carbon fiber... Flat or laser etched scorpion or CO. Logos .. Maybe wide roof scoop lolling thing .. Idk .. Or just an armor cover like an iPhone shield..

Got the money lets go.. 68986899

deathshead
07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
YIKES!

Its a large piece of glass and only takes the tiniest pebble to hit just right to shatter it. Ever see someone smash car windows with tiny fragments of sparkplug ceramic?

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 11:40 AM
True true .. Crazy cuz no one was near me .. Hmmm .. Well hope someone can do something to aid in this.. Stuff is very scary when it happens .. It would be a great!!!!!! Safety MOD

**** hint ;) hint ;) ****

-----500Madness-----Road Race Motorsports-----

b56.1m6
07-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Wow, thats crazy! It does look like a stone shot in your second photo, lower left corner. I like my metal roof even more every day, glad your Okay!

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Not tinted right? Glad you're ok.

Has factory tinted glass but it's not safety glass like the windshield .. Although it should be

ScorpionSkins.com
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Wow!!! Is this something they'd consider covering under warranty? (I'm assuming not given the evidence of an impact point?)

Glad to read no one was hurt!

jguerdat
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I wonder if it's a stress thang, like the frame was slightly warped and a bump or stone was enough to trigger it...

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Wow!!! Is this something they'd consider covering under warranty? (I'm assuming not given the evidence of an impact point?)

Glad to read no one was hurt!

Tried but no.. Argued how bad it was not being shatter proof but that didn't work.. Plus the car was so scarred up it didn't matter cuz a body shop had to take over and insurance kicked in..

2Cool
07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
That sucks out loud. It is made of tempered glass, like your side/rear windows on the car. Very strong, but can be brittle if flexed or struck by a hard object. Good part is that it breaks into small square pieces rather than large jagged shards.

Corrnaus
07-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I heard a few years ago this happening to people in BMWs.. There was about 2 dozen cases from similar model lines of sunroofs exploding and they were not covered under warranty at the time. Some were cars just sitting stationary. I have not heard was has happened since then. The owners were trying to file something with the government to have it looked into.

I dont think it will be warranty as they will just claim that it was something impacting the sunroof

Chico Valdez
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Probably be a good case for an impact film.
Something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKlP2trTrc
Just dismiss all the scare hype.
Here's another...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rMUs0NRaY

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 01:42 PM
That would be great.. Still waiting for Madness or RRM. To help out .. Maybe if more people show interest in it besides just me.... Not fun driving with glass in your eyes ..

djhace
07-02-2013, 01:52 PM
dang, that's nuts.

MADNESSLuckyJay
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
after thinking about this, I wonder if adding a clear bra to your glass roof would help prevent this from happening

redred
07-02-2013, 03:59 PM
That's insane!! What excuse does Fiat give for this not being covered under warranty???? (So glad I don't have the sunroof in my car)

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Had a small chip mark they said was a rock... They said from a truck or big rig.... Even though no one was in front of me... Hmm .. Closest one in front maybe 250m ... Whatever they know more than me...

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 04:33 PM
after thinking about this, I wonder if adding a clear bra to your glass roof would help prevent this from happening

That's where you guys come into play :)... Pre-cut shields :)

Willow1285
07-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Thats terrible news my friend. Hope it all gets sorted out and thank you for your service, we appreciate all that you do!

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone car will be out the shop by the 16th just got the call over 2200 in damage but I just pay the 500 :) ... I hope everyone that has sunroofs helps request a demand for a impact shield or cool MODs to cover it or easily cover or uncover when wanted .. Trust me that glass sucks when it breaks and the small pieces will get in your eyes ..

Come on MADNESS. You know you want to ;) ..

dart1.4t
07-02-2013, 06:06 PM
tempered glass can do that without warning. my father always tells about a side window for a lotus europa exploding in his bare hands and having to explain that to his boss when he was young. my neighbor is a chemistry teacher and does a demonstration for his students where he melts a piece of glass into a glass of water. it forms a tear drop shape and the rapid cooling gives the outside layer of glass a different lattice structure and a lot of stress in the glass making it very hard. when they break the end off the teardrop the whole thing instantly explodes, it's a similar concept to hea treated metal but metal is too ductile to explode. it sound like there could be a defect in the glass tempering process, i don't know about glass tepering but i'm sure there is some measure to prevent this and maybe that step wasn't done perfectly. it could be triggered at any time at some minute stress riser you wouldn't know was there. like i phones that break the screens or back glass. the glass apple uses is supposed to be tough but dirt gets in the seams and scratches the outer edge of the glass at a microscopic level. now suddenly the phone you dropped many times and was always fine has a broken screen from a fall it should have survived. there were many reports of this from the use of the rubber bumper covers that apple issued to ATT iphone 4 customers that had the antenna issues.

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Just be nice to do that glass protector like in the video above .. Be nice to have pre-cut kits for the car.. Plus they are UV protectant :) .. Be nice here in AZ

Felnus
07-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Looking at the glass, it appears from the photo that whatever impacted it came nearly straight down. Any quarries, mining, or heavy construction/demolition involving blasting going in the area? How about an idiot firing a gun into the air?

dart1.4t
07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
i'm thinking i'm going to look into that stuff for window tint. keep the car cool, use the a/c less, save gas, save the interior from uv damage.

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Nothing like that stuff around the area by the football stadium so it's nice .. Bullet ?? You never know now at days cuz that did come from nowhere even the guy behind me was confused

Small&Wicked2013
07-02-2013, 09:54 PM
I have heard of this happening to some Hyundai Santa Fes also I believe the 2011 models..had something to do with a factory defect putting to much stress on the roof and they would literally just explode.

DS Ocampo
07-03-2013, 12:36 AM
500 Madness ... I hope helps out .. They've been great at finding new products this would just be a great one to push for safety for all us Fiat owners .. :)

Was that sappy enough lol

Andree
07-03-2013, 02:24 AM
As always, keep track of your expenditures. Even if insurance covers it, if it does turn out to be a flaw, you should get your deductible refunded.

There was a big recall of the Hyundai Veloster and it's self-shattering panoramic sunroof:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/27/hyundai-recalls-6-071-more-velosters-over-shattering-sunroofs/

and

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2012-hyundai-veloster-recalled-because-sunroof-may-shatter.html

You actually have to make the complaint to the NHTSA about it. That's the only way they will know.

You can check here to see if anyone else has reported a similar instance, I don't see one in the Consumer Complaints:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/

And you can file a complaint through the website too. There are only 20 complaints on a 2012. One person is complaining about being stabbed in the thigh by the pop-open key. Another person claims the steering column sucked up their floor mat. I think you can definitely file a complaint on a shattering sunroof. Maybe it should be made out of safety glass or have special coatings!

Felnus
07-03-2013, 06:35 AM
I think you can definitely file a complaint on a shattering sunroof. Maybe it should be made out of safety glass or have special coatings!

The sunroof, like all the glass on the FIAT 500(and any other new car) is made out of auto safety glass. It performed as designed. Auto safety glass is not shatterproof, it is designed to break into rounded, non jagged pieces if impacted with sufficient force to damage it. If you've ever broken a plate glass window, the difference is obvious, as plate glass shatters into dagger-like pieces. While shattered safety glass can still cut you, it is nowhere near as likely to slash you to ribbons.

As far as making a complaint goes, to my-not-so expert eye anyway, something impacted the sunroof and caused the damage as shown in the OP's first picture. I've seen safety glass that shattered due to improper stresses from a building settling. It shatters but the outer layer doesn't show scarring from an impact point. This would be akin to making a NHTSA complaint because a piece of road debris blew out your tire.

There are situations where you don't want unbreakable glass in a car. Ever see those safety hammers designed for just such occasions? Enough impact force supplied to a small area will do this to any piece of safety glass.

DS Ocampo is very lucky, had he been driving just slightly slower, the object might have hit his windshield.

DS Ocampo
07-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Looking into that :) thanks for the info

DS Ocampo
07-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Rather hit my windshield and crack it then deal with the small flakes flying around the cabin like dust... Trust me it hurts the eyes .. That's where going off the freeway came in.. Having a shield on the sunroof wouldn't be as bad as the side windows understanding if vehicle goes under water or rolls, but by then if car rolls your glass and car is gonna suck..

Main issue.. If that glass, like mine did just happens to break while your driving its gonna force air in the cabin. Small particles will blow around like dust and impare the drivers vision and or cause injury to the eyes ( not sure about breathing it in). If something so light can be done to prevent that from happening don't we think it'll be worth it?. Busses have impact glass and are easily able to kick free I'm sure the sunroof can be pushed open by most drivers if needed.

I don't care about all the rules and regs behind warranty and crap... Just trying to bring this to everyone's attention of what happens to the glass when your driving and maybe save another. When we first rolled into Afghanistan we had trucks with nothing no armor so we used sand bags and whatever metal or wood we could find. Over the time after learning and listening to us soldiers the armor has changed many of times to better aid our missions. Mainly just passing info so people and companies can learn and or make something to fix the issue to save a possible life.

Felnus
07-03-2013, 07:03 AM
My point was that the impact would have done the same thing to your windshield. With perhaps greater consequences. And you might not be here. Think about it.

DS Ocampo
07-03-2013, 07:06 AM
My point was that the impact would have done the same thing to your windshield. With perhaps greater consequences. And you might not be here. Think about it.

Noted lol.. Got to rambling ... Yea that's my 3rd windshield .. Az is bad for glass.. Guess that's why we get free coverage on our insurance

wilbmeister
07-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Just a thought... Being in Arizona with extreme heat and the AC running in the car is there any chance that there was a reaction between the heat and cold on the glass? Just wondering.

Felnus
07-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Something I didn't consider earlier. Any airports nearby?

DS Ocampo
07-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Yea right down the road ... 2 of them .. Just a crazy event... Open road listening pontoon by little big town and boom...

Felnus
07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
It may have been some type of debris from a plane or helicopter, either a rock stuck in a wheel or a screw/nut/bolt.

musicsurf
07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I don't have a sunroof so I don't know, is there a track on each side that something hard could have gotten into? Tempered glass explodes when hit on the edge and it doesn't take much to do it. Maybe there was something stuck in there and a bump caused something to strike the edge hard enough? I don't know, just a thought. Happy you are okay and were able to stop the car safely.

DS Ocampo
07-03-2013, 01:10 PM
No something hit it.. Sucks but I'm good thanks man

Chico Valdez
07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
A good primer pertaining to modern assembly methods and repair, also types of glass used in the auto-world starting at 3:40 or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yT38XyCXFU
I agree strongly with DS about keeping the shards and dust out of the cabin is a really good idea.

streetsurfer
07-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Had a small chip mark they said was a rock... They said from a truck or big rig.... Even though no one was in front of me... Hmm .. Closest one in front maybe 250m ... Whatever they know more than me...

It doesn't have to be another truck or other vehicle involved. It is highly likely in this case that the stone was thrown into the air from your own tires, since you say nobody else was around. I have seen it happen many times in my driving career. Whether you maybe passed through some prime/tack/sealer in a construction paving zone, hit a muddy area in a wash and then picked up some stone, or simply had one wedge in your dry tread, they can be thrown up and forward as they are released by rotational forces, where you shortly after drive into it at speed as it falls to earth. This can happen all the more with wider wheels/tires. It's a good reason not to push tires too close toward the fender lip when changing offset, rim size, tire width, or when using spacers. It sure looks good but defeats the protective purpose of fender flares.

DS Ocampo
07-04-2013, 02:05 AM
Good thought..

For all those wanting to get a ECU TUNER. That don't already have one I'm having a raffle for a RRM ECU.

DS Ocampo
07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Might get the car back in 12 days.. Just checked on it good thing I did cuz the shop didn't see all the other damage .. Now it should be good to go.. They are waiting on the sunroof to come in from the east coast

Robert Nixon
07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
since you mentioned armored vehicles, maybe there is a market for an up-armored Fiat 500? Or put a gun turret in the sunroof!gr_grin

DS Ocampo
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
I would have fun lol some kind of mad max car...

streetsurfer
07-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Being as they can drive across water, I had a Water World type of craft in mind.

DS Ocampo
07-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Great lol....

Well hope it gets done fast this rental Nissan Altima really sucks.. 50+ to fill up is nuts.. Going to the funeral service tomorrow in Prescott area..

streetsurfer
07-09-2013, 01:43 PM
My thoughts and prayers will be with/for you and those who have suffered out there. Very Sad!

DS Ocampo
07-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Might get my car back today... Hopefully it's painted right and no lines all over the place.. And color matched ..

KKaWing
07-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Maybe related, but here in the land of the glass condos, the glass actually breaks and falls due to a few factors. Bad "anchoring" / attachment points creating stress points, heating & cooling cycle, and high winds causing oscillation.

Didn't the Velosters also have this problem? Come to think of it, all large sunroof cars?

Small&Wicked2013
07-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Correct Velosters did have this issue also.

DS Ocampo
07-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Not getting the car back... Body shop did something to the car and it won't start or nothing .. Tried resetting the ecu but nothing.... They are trying to blame me.. Even after they said they drove it there and since it's been there but after they washed the engine down it won't start, but they don't want to take responsibility for it...

I need a lawyer

Ohh the paint job is horrible .. Scuff marks all over and dull.. Tape lines ... It sucks

Small&Wicked2013
07-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Sorry DS..That really sucks. So hard to get good service anymore.

Robert Nixon
07-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm with you on this one, that if THEY drove it there and then "washed the engine down" it and NOW it doesn't start, that's totally on them.

DS Ocampo
07-19-2013, 05:49 PM
After calling JAG and getting everything together... After I mentioned I was just taking everyone to court ---- well it's back at my house now running.. The paint job is very bad.. Gotta let the claims adjuster come over to see it. Going to get the car wrapped one day, but it still makes me mad

nojeebs
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Damn sorry to hear about this. Has anyone heard of the Prince Rupert's drop? Youtube it for a rad video on the properties of tempered glass. I'm at work so I don't want to link it right now and make it look like I'm not working. :-p