PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully someone can give some guidance

musicsurf
06-29-2013, 11:29 AM
I am hoping that I can get some suggestions on an issue I am having with my 6k mile 2013 Abarth. The car is turning over but not starting, like it's not getting gas. I have the mpx tb, ec v2 intake, tmc box, and forge atmo bov. I have also rerouted the EVAP lines. I suspected maybe it was the tb so I swapped in the original one, no dice. I completely removed the TMC box, still nothing. I tried my other key, checked all the fuses, and made sure everything with the reroute was fine. My ecm has been reset as well. I have had this happen for a split second a few weeks ago and then it started right away. At that time all I had was the TB and intake and rerouted EVAP lines. I took my car in to have the tires rotated yesterday and did the oil myself a few days ago. The latest mod is the bov and that was done at the beginning of the week. There was a pending code for the P1CEA, but I think that is because I am cranking the car without anything happening. I hadn't had any pending or posted codes prior. If I can't get it figured out, I will take in to have it looked at after returning it to stock. Unfortunately I am supposed to leave for Atlanta tomorrow so I would be a lot happier if I can get it figured out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fiat500USA
06-29-2013, 11:45 AM
I would try a fuel system cut-off reset. The procedure is in the small user guide that comes with the car. I'll see if I can get it up here for you.

musicsurf
06-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Tried it to no avail. It was a great suggestion though and I would've given you a huge hug if it would have worked.

Fiat500USA
06-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Sent a PM with some info. Hopefully will give you a couple of things to check. Good Luck!
-Chris

FTY
06-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Couple things:

Sounds like a fuel delivery/ignition issue.

When you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump engage? (humming noise from trunk)

The mods you have done excluding the throttle body will not prevent the car to turn over. (Since you have replaced the throttle body with the stock one its a non issue)

Check coil packs...pull plug see if it smells like fuel?

Pull battery connections...let it sit 10-15min, stab brakes a few time to drain ECU.

Few things Id start with. Gimmie a ring Ill be around today.

dylansi
06-29-2013, 02:18 PM
I've sort of had this happen me when I was bone stock and still have it to this day. When I turn the key it will take a good 3-5 seconds to fire up, when normally it turns right over. Usually happens when its been driven for a while and I only stop for a few minutes then turn the car back on. I've never addressed it with the Studio, and am hoping it never gets to the point of not firing up.

musicsurf
06-29-2013, 03:25 PM
After speaking with a couple people (Thanks Chris, and Chris) I am fairly certain my fuel pump is done. Luckily I already ordered the hoses that I cut in order to reroute the EVAP lines just in case this situation ever arose. So as soon as they get here I will have my engine back to stock and carted off to the studio for some warranty work. Thanks for the help guys!

dylansi
06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
That is awfully fast for a fuel pump to stop working. Although I highly doubt it, I wonder if your mods could have been taking the pump to its full capacity?

musicsurf
06-29-2013, 05:09 PM
It's very possible that it was faulty from the beginning and is now failing. A small percentage of mechanical pieces inevitabley fail, I just happened to probably get one.

lammie200
06-29-2013, 07:43 PM
After speaking with a couple people (Thanks Chris, and Chris) I am fairly certain my fuel pump is done...

I don't know if there is a fuel pump relay, but if you are suspecting it to be a fuel pump issue it could be that and not the pump itself.

musicsurf
06-29-2013, 10:10 PM
That is the question though, is there actually a relay?

lammie200
06-29-2013, 10:38 PM
That is the question though, is there actually a relay?

I would imagine that there is one and that it will be in a box under the hood. Did you check your fuses?

musicsurf
06-29-2013, 10:45 PM
There is indeed a relay for the fuel pump, but it is not the problem. Switched it out with another 30amp relay and the car still didn't start.

FTY
06-29-2013, 10:55 PM
After speaking with a couple people (Thanks Chris, and Chris) I am fairly certain my fuel pump is done. Luckily I already ordered the hoses that I cut in order to reroute the EVAP lines just in case this situation ever arose. So as soon as they get here I will have my engine back to stock and carted off to the studio for some warranty work. Thanks for the help guys!

Glad to lend hand..I know how frustrating this stuff can be especially with no check engine codes to look for.....Volvo was breaking up badly....multiple misfires...went through the full list of relays and fuel/ignition delivery...turned out to be a cracked coil wire boot grounding on the hood that I electrocuted myself on while checking the relay panel located above it. Good luck at the dealer hopefully they can get it fixed quickly for you!

lammie200
06-29-2013, 11:11 PM
There is indeed a relay for the fuel pump, but it is not the problem. Switched it out with another 30amp relay and the car still didn't start.

Just to be sure - we are talking about two different things. As far as I know the relay takes power from the alternator and converts so that the fuel pump can use it. It can go bad without any warning or throwing a code. The fuse is a safety to keep excessive amperages from causing damage. If a circuit is shorted that can cause a fuse to blow. If your car fires upon start up briefly but dies right away I suspect it is the relay. If the car cranks but never fires it could be either the fuel pump or the relay or something else. Hope your mechanic can find the problem quickly.

blackabarth13
07-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Maybe during the mods the engine immobilizer was set? May be the ignition system has been disabled.

musicsurf
07-15-2013, 09:02 PM
It is a short in the wiring harness. The car has been in the studio and the new harness was supposed to come in today but didn't. So the wait continues...

Abarth Phreak
07-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the update, please continue to keep us posted as to the final result.

musicsurf
07-17-2013, 03:39 PM
So... my car was finished today. Unfortunately I had to go out of town and won't be picking it up until tomorrow. I did talk to the tech today and it appears the fuel pump wasn't grounded due to a short in the box. It kind of sucks because they had to replace the entire wiring harness with the box since it is hardwired. It is fixed though and I believe they are going to send the box to Fiat to dissect and see if they can find out why it shorted. I CAN'T WAIT TO FINALLY HAVE MY CAR BACK, and she is getting some goodies put on when I get home. Thank you everyone for your help.