PDA

View Full Version : Bad build quality, flaw!

rallyesports
06-29-2013, 04:21 AM
So tonight I decided to open up my dome light and replace them with some LED, I simply ply it open with a plastic credit card with no problem, until I saw this.... the inner plastic which holds the dome assembly was over riveted with the roof, and crushed it, Im very disappoint about this build quality, and would like to find the part and replace it, but one big problem is that it is metal riveted to the roof, anyone know any solutions to replace that crushed plastic part? :(

FTY
06-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Id bring it to the dealer! That is something that should be covered under warranty.

Bladecutter
06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
How often do you plan on having the light cover off?
Is it really worth the aggravation of having your car torn apart just to repair a crack in a part that isn't visible?

If it was causing a squeak or creak, I could understand wanting it fixed, but if it's not visible, why worry?

Plus, the dealer might say that you broke it when you went to take off the light cover, and change the bulb.

BC.

Abarth Phreak
06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
That's hardly "build quality" and just an accessory flaw...its a piece of plastic that could have stress cracked over time after the rivet was installed and the tech did not see it at first. It could have been avoided by a tab or spacers behind it. But to your point, it bugs me too. To the dealer you go for sure! :clap:

Please share how it goes for any feedback from the dealer. (Like if it is not the first one found and replaced.)

Chico Valdez
06-29-2013, 02:38 PM
It's a new car! I don't care if it is an economy car, it should at least be built right.
The idea that 'it's a cheap car' shouldn't mean 'so, some stuff is broken, what do you expect?', it means that it should at least be decently screwed together.
'Economy' should not equal 'crap'. Fiat/Chrysler cannot afford this kind of reputation. Not if they want Fiat to be successful.

Abarth Phreak
06-29-2013, 03:25 PM
There is nothing cheap about my car...that's for sure.

rallyesports
06-30-2013, 03:02 AM
I will definitely show the dealer this Monday, a $27k car, this is not acceptable, even if it is under the skin, that's what warranty is for, for those of you who also upgraded your dome lights should check it too if your car has the same flaw, if theres a large number of the same problem, it should be a recall.

06-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Id take it the wreckers and scrap it!

Seriously, go have a beer and forget that VERY VERY minor detail, or go over every nut and bolt with a microscope - do that to ANY new car and youll find something!

Im pretty sure I know what the dealers response will be :)

Felnus
06-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Frankly, after seeing the thread title, I thought the rear axle might have fallen off or something.

QuindiciUndici
06-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Give him a break guys, I'm tried of hearing the "Fix It Again Tony" schtick from so many people. Issues are what the Forum is all about, to help all of us in the end make our individual vehicle, and FIAT overall the best it can be. It may be just a simple little broken light item, but it is still BROKEN, and a quality flaw. It's too easy and common these days to give people a "pass". Fix It Agreeably Tony.

500ways
06-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I have the LED kit as well and noticed this same thing. I respect your feelings and wanting to get it fixed.

I have no intention of getting mine fixed. It's tight and hidden, not going anywhere, doesn't make any noise and am too busy enjoying my car! Efffff it.

pastor passum
06-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Are you sure those are rivets? In the photo they look like Torx screws with the center one being slightly over tightened. If so, it's a very simple R&R if it bothers you.

Tweak
06-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Give him a break guys, I'm tried of hearing the "Fix It Again Tony" schtick from so many people. Issues are what the Forum is all about, to help all of us in the end make our individual vehicle, and FIAT overall the best it can be. It may be just a simple little broken light item, but it is still BROKEN, and a quality flaw. It's too easy and common these days to give people a "pass". Fix It Agreeably Tony.

Welcome to the forum.

I changed to LED lights and I do not recall this being a problem, seems it'd be an easy enough fix, you paid for it and if it is an issue you feel should be resolved you should take it in, I had a cup holder on a car that would open every time I hit the throttle, took it back and let them replace the spring. Super simple but still, you buy it you expect things to be right even if it were to break again someday. (Perhaps as mentioned above it did break after awhile but it seems most likely it was during the assembly process).

Fiat500USA
07-01-2013, 12:17 AM
That is annoying. I think some are just reacting to the title, which leads one to expect a dramatic flaw. My concern would be that replacing it may cause more issues than just accepting that a piece that is hidden and never seen has a flaw. If it is easy to replace or is loose then I would have it replaced. If not, don't worry too much about it. I have seen stuff like that over the years on all my cars (German, etc.).

NGEN
07-01-2013, 12:40 AM
I have a spare dome light assembly for sale if you are interested and in need of one.

Chico Valdez
07-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Id take it the wreckers and scrap it!

Seriously, go have a beer and forget that VERY VERY minor detail, or go over every nut and bolt with a microscope - do that to ANY new car and youll find something!

Im pretty sure I know what the dealers response will be :)

Would you accept a half-baked chicken in a restaurant?
No.
He paid for a car that works. He should receive a car that works and doesn't use broken parts. PERIOD.
If they Fiat/Chrysler cannot produce, then maybe they shouldn't be in business.
I shouldn't have to buy a 120-thousand-dollar Viper to get quality.
The fact is, if they don't give quality in the lower range, then do they give quality in the upper ranges as well?
If you're not faithful in a little then you're not faithful in a lot.

07-01-2013, 08:06 AM
No.
He paid for a car that works. He should receive a car that works and doesn't use broken parts. PERIOD.
The fact is, if they don't give quality in the lower range, then do they give quality in the upper ranges as well?
If you're not faithful in a little then you're not faithful in a lot.

Give me that Viper - I WILL find something scratched or chipped be it hidden away or otherwise. A MAJOR FLAW this simply is not. Members have reacted more realistically to much much worse.

To use your own analogy, albeit more appropriately, would you eat a delicious well cooked chicken in a restaurant that has a paint scratch on the inside of the attic hatch?

FiatCares
07-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Id bring it to the dealer! That is something that should be covered under warranty.

It would not be covered under warranty if it was evident that he opened up to replace the bulb and it broke. Im just seeing it from the studio's viewpoint.

nerdvana
07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
No.

Where did the OP say that the light didn't work? I must have missed that.

A "half-baked chicken" is a poor analogy: it implies that the sole functionality of the item is not present. The OP said nothing about the lights not working, so all of the required functionality of the car appears to be there.

The Corvair had some design flaws. The Ford Pinto had at least one. The non-Cosworth Vega shouldn't have gotten to production, but it did. A crack in a non-visible part of a dome light that does not impair functionality (and is not a safety issue) is not in the same ballpark/league/sport, and should not be cause for ranting about "bad build quality, flaw!" as we see in the title.

I think you have that backwards.

James Hunt
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
This is what you get when two companys famous for having the highest quality in the world decide to do a joint venture:frantic4yc:. My car spent over 5 hours at a independent fixing what fiat/Chrysler should have caught before shipping to dealer.

Robert Nixon
07-02-2013, 04:09 PM
no one likes to hear of any problems with their car, but we all certainly have different thresholds of pain for what is acceptable from a brand new car.

For me and my personality, the many threads about paint chipping emblems and other things that I still really can't even see in the tiny photos on the forum are not a concern, but to the owner that isn't satisfied, they certainly need to talk to their studio and get it resolved.

What I'm looking for on the forum (and usually find) is helpful folks that assist each other, and all share the concern that if one of us Fiat owners has an issue, we want to find out if it's minor or something serious that we all need to know.

While we're in the analogy game, what if you took delivery of a brand new custom built product from another of Fiat's lines, say, a shiny new Ferrari 458 Italia for over $200,000? If there was a crack in a piece of trim or this dome light thing, would you take your Ferrari back and ask the dealer to fix it?

trevc
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
What did they have to fix?

This is what you get when two companys famous for having the highest quality in the world decide to do a joint venture:frantic4yc:. My car spent over 5 hours at a independent fixing what fiat/Chrysler should have caught before shipping to dealer.

07-02-2013, 05:45 PM
no one likes to hear of any problems with their car, but we all certainly have different thresholds of pain for what is acceptable from a brand new car.

For me and my personality, the many threads about paint chipping emblems and other things that I still really can't even see in the tiny photos on the forum are not a concern, but to the owner that isn't satisfied, they certainly need to talk to their studio and get it resolved.

What I'm looking for on the forum (and usually find) is helpful folks that assist each other, and all share the concern that if one of us Fiat owners has an issue, we want to find out if it's minor or something serious that we all need to know.

While we're in the analogy game, what if you took delivery of a brand new custom built product from another of Fiat's lines, say, a shiny new Ferrari 458 Italia for over $200,000? If there was a crack in a piece of trim or this dome light thing, would you take your Ferrari back and ask the dealer to fix it?

We are talking about a minor crack in a part nobody ever sees, wont get worse and has no functionality!

As for a new Ferrari, certain if you strip it down to every nut and bolt youll find something!!

James Hunt
07-02-2013, 10:30 PM
What did they have to fix?

Nothing was torqued to spec and almost every hose/line and fastner/mount needed attention.

blackabarth13
07-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Did the independent shop use factory Fiat torque specifications? Did the use torque wrenches and other torque indicating devices? Was something leaking or a component loose that made you aware that fasteners were not properly torqued? The best place to take it to would be the dealer to verify and fix as they would have a high interest in this possibly being wide spread problem. Beware of mechanics that use the calibrated wrist method for torqueing items. It is a sure way of over torqueing.

FredS
07-23-2013, 09:19 AM

Nothing was torqued to spec and almost every hose/line and fastner/mount needed attention.

FIARARI
08-23-2013, 04:58 PM
So, was there any resolution here? If so, what was it?

Something does not add up in this story either way. If you look at the picture below, you will see two distinct stress fractures on the part in question. Crack #1 could have been caused by a rivet, as you suggested, however, crack #2 not so much. I don't like to point fingers but this looks like a classic case of hastily removing a part with just a little too much force. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that a rivet caused the second crack.

With all of that said, no car/product is perfect. Of course we all want our cars to be 100% and I hope you got it figured out either way.

Tweak
08-23-2013, 10:49 PM

Something does not add up in this story either way. If you look at the picture below, you will see two distinct stress fractures on the part in question. Crack #1 could have been caused by a rivet, as you suggested, however, crack #2 not so much. I don't like to point fingers but this looks like a classic case of hastily removing a part with just a little too much force. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that a rivet caused the second crack.

With all of that said, no car/product is perfect. Of course we all want our cars to be 100% and I hope you got it figured out either way.

Welcome to the forum.

FIARARI
08-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks Tweak. I have been lurking here from time to time since I got my Abarth in April. These are great little cars and I enjoy reading everyone's input on this forum...

Abarth619
08-24-2013, 07:20 AM

7546 I couldn't agree more. I removed mine the other day to replace the bulbs and after seeing how it snaps in, I could definitely see how it could easily crack from removing it incorrectly. I had to carefully remove it with plastic pry tools only to find out that one of the bulbs are defective, damn ebay. :(

Fiat500USA
08-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Did the independent shop use factory Fiat torque specifications? Did the use torque wrenches and other torque indicating devices? Was something leaking or a component loose that made you aware that fasteners were not properly torqued? The best place to take it to would be the dealer to verify and fix as they would have a high interest in this possibly being wide spread problem. Beware of mechanics that use the calibrated wrist method for torqueing items. It is a sure way of over torqueing.

I agree. If you go under most cars you can yank on bolts and nuts and get them to move if that is the motivation. Same with hose clamps, you can give them a turn or so to most. Very easy to squash them or do some uneven tightening. It is also very easy to "fix" something that isn't broken and to drive yourself crazy chasing things that aren't really problems. Just saying 'cause it's sad to see people ruin there ownership experience looking for perfection in parts that will never be seen or fixing things that aren't necessary. Good luck.

pk9394
08-25-2013, 06:24 PM
To me, that doesn't looks like built issues. My guess, is the dealer install some lighting inside the car for showcase use. It may happen due to the installation or remove after sold.

nsmsam
10-24-2013, 12:44 AM
I have similar problem, and it is visible... 8253

Fiat500USA
10-25-2013, 01:04 AM
I have similar problem, and it is visible... 8253

Welcome to the forum! The OP's problem was underneath the light panel and not at all visable. Is that a crack or dirt/bug in the lens? Hard to see in the image.