PDA

View Full Version : New 500L - First Impressions and a few "surprises"

MaxPower
06-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Just got a new 500L Easy yesterday and overall I am very pleased. It is what we had hoped for. A car sporty and fun to drive like our previous 500 Sport and yet roomy and practical without going to a minivan. The 500L delivers. It is great to drive and we love the interior and features.

I have found a few of surprises during my first 48 hours of ownership:

1. No SiriusXM. Ours came with the Popular equipment group, 6-speed auto, and the "free" premier package that includes the Uconnect 6.5 with GPS, rear camera and park assist. The dealer had advertised on their website, and the salesperson confirmed, that the Uconnect 6.5 included SiriusXM. When I test drove it, indeed the Uconnect had the SiriusXM on it but since it was not yet activated I didnt test it out. After getting it home I realized while it had SiriusXM on the touchscreen, when I went to activate it it showed "unknown" for the SiriusXM unit ID. I took back to the dealer and after and hour of the tech looking into it, he came back with the bad news that it indeed does not have a SiriusXM unit ID and thus can not be activated. What is unknown at this point is (a) does the unit support SiriusXM but is just disabled somehow (b) does it have a SiriusXM antenna or not (c) can this be activated later by the dealer somehow or (d) is there some sort of add-on module and/or antenna to make it work. What is for sure is that unless the sticker says Beats Audio/SiriusXM you won't get SiriusXM even if the Uconnect headunit shows it when turned on. Hopefully there will be away to activate it without additional equipment needing to be installed.

2. Annoying flashing lock button. The 500L has a separate lock button on the center console underneath the Uconnect head unit. The lock button locks/unlocks all doors when pressed. The way it is suppose to work is that when the doors are locked (and the car is running) the lock button will illuminate red. When unlocked the lock button does not illuminate. When I first got it, the lock button would just constantly flash whether it was locked or unlocked. At first I assumed this was just some sort of indicator that the alarm had gone off sometime prior to entering the vehicle (as is seen in other vehicles). I tried to look for a way to reset this, but it turns out this is not the case. Again, the dealer had not seen this and after some time investigating by the tech, he found out that the dealer has some sort of configuration/reset they have to do prior to deliver that will make the lock work as expected. I saw this same problem on 3 other cars on the dealer lot.

3. Daytime running light setting is "buggy". There is an option on the Uconnect interface to set whether you want the daytime running lights on or not. The buggy part is when you go to the setting and set it to stay on, it turns them on as expected but after about a minute the setting on the Uconnect switches back to off. Now this switching back to the off setting automatically does not actually switch the daytime runnings lights off (they still stay on as original set), it just appears off in the settings option on the menu. So the menu will always show them as being set to off even if you set them to be on. I even tested this on three other 500Ls on the dealer lot and saw the same issue.

4. Parksense Rear Park Assist is not very loud. At first I didnt even realize I had this until one time will backing up in reverse (and a car being behind me) I could hear a very faint beeping noise coming from behind the speedometer. I realized that this was the Park Assist working but it was very hard to hear. I was able to increase the "buzzer" volume on the EVIC up to the max setting which did make it louder, but if you have the AC running and/or the stereo on it is still pretty faint. It needs to be completely quiet inside to hear it well. It other vehicles I have owned it was always considerably louder.

5. Separate bluetooth settings for the phone and media inputs. This has probably been noted before, but I was surprised to find this great feature. There are separate bluetooth paring settings for the phone and media audio. You can pair up to 3 devices with each setting. This means one person can have their phone paired while driving and a different person have their phone/ipod/etc paired for listening to music, etc. While I had my iPhone paired for the phone, my son paired his iPod touch and was able to play his music in the car without having to hook it up using any cables... just bluetooth. This is especially great for listening to Pandora or using the SiriusXM iPhone app. The bluetooth pairing works very well, better than what I have experience in the past with other car receivers.

6. The Uconnect 6.5" Touch Screen radio/GPS resets randomly. This has happened several times and for reasons as of yet are unknown. I will be driving, listening to the radio/ipod and/or using the Navigation and it will just go blank and reboot itself. Not sure why, but overall with this and some of the other items above, it is obvious that the new radio/GPS units are still a tad buggy. Hopefully there will be some sort of software update in the near future to address some of the above.

Overall the above are pretty minor issues to me and are somewhat to be expected for having one of the first ones being sold. I still love the car and won't be trading it in anytime soon.

Fiat500USA
06-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting your impressions. It is a big help while we get to know the new 500L. We have a Fiat rep here on the site called FIATCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares) that you might want to get in touch with so they know the concerns you have. I also know there is a TSB on activating the GPS unit on the car.

Posts some pics of the car when you can!

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 11:12 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting your impressions. It is a big help while we get to know the new 500L. We have a Fiat rep here on the site called FIATCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares) that you might want to get in touch with so they know the concerns you have. I also know there is a TSB on activating the GPS unit on the car.

Posts some pics of the car when you can!

Thanks Chris about the link to Fiat Care. I should email them about the head units for verification, but may get to do that tomorrow when I go to the open house at Fiat of Kirkland ad they show off their new 500L's, as there seems to be come controversy, of sorts about the differences between the 5" unit, and the 6.5, and their availability, as well as issues I saw with ordering via the configurator.

Thanks for your hard work on this site.

Andree
06-30-2013, 01:05 AM
UConnect says SiriusXM is "available" for the 6.5 unit on the Fiat here:
http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/2014/fiat/500_l/6-5-ra3/

There's a handy "Contact Us" link at the top, you can call them, they're open Sundays!

Hope this helps. :)

MaxPower
06-30-2013, 12:56 PM
UConnect says SiriusXM is "available" for the 6.5 unit on the Fiat here:
http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/2014/fiat/500_l/6-5-ra3/

There's a handy "Contact Us" link at the top, you can call them, they're open Sundays!

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the link!
I just called Uconnect and they confirmed that it should have SiriusXM included and their records showed it was shipped to the dealer that way. They did not know why the unit showed UNKNOWN for the SiriusXM ID. They are looking into it and hopefully will have an answer to me in the next day or two. I will post when I find out more.

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
I noticed another "feature" of the Uconnect 6.5 that was unexpected.

GPS Navigation shows night view anytime the headlights are on: Whenever you turn the headlights on in the 500L, the Navigation unit switches its view assuming it is nighttime. The color scheme goes from its standard white,blue,green daytime view to the grey,black color scheme for nighttime. I was not able to finding any setting to adjust or prevent this. I usually keep my headlights on all of the time, especially when it is raining, and thus my navigation is always darkened with the grey and black color scheme. This isn't a big deal, but it is a little annoying and less than ideal. Most navigation systems either have a photocel to detect if it is day or night and adjust the screen automatically or they have a setting allowing you to set whether it switches to night mode or not. It would be nice if the Uconnect 6.5 had a way to control this.

Here is a picture showing what the navigation looks like on a rainy morning when I had my headlights on:

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
No SiriusXM

Here is a picture showing the SiriusXM setup screen. Notice the UNKNOWN where the SiriusXM ID is suppose to be.

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Annoying flashing lock button

Here is a picture of the lock button below the Uconnect unit. Mine is fixed and is not flashing all the time.

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Daytime running light setting is "buggy"

Here is a picture of the Daytime Running Lights setting. You will notice that it indicates they are Off, even though I have set them to On and they are actually On. As noted above, when I set it to On, the setting shows On for a few seconds and then resets to Off.

Here is a video showing the system resetting to Off just after I set it to On.

http://youtu.be/G32-GGuu2Gk

Andree
07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the link!
I just called Uconnect and they confirmed that it should have SiriusXM included and their records showed it was shipped to the dealer that way. They did not know why the unit showed UNKNOWN for the SiriusXM ID. They are looking into it and hopefully will have an answer to me in the next day or two. I will post when I find out more.

Good! I have the feeling that because the vehicle is new to the Fiat dealerships as well as the rest of us, someone left out a step on your car at the dealership. Maybe on all the cars.

From the posts and pics you've put up of the UConnect, it looks to have all kinds of settings and info that is useful, but complex. It may not be a problem with the unit itself, the things like the daytime running lights, but maybe with something that was supposed to be done on your car and got missed.

Say, I noticed it shows the speed limit! Cool! How does it know that?

sbulla
07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
I have the same unit you do, and my daytime running lights also turn off after a few seconds. And my lock button blinks all the time too, I need to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed. I'm thinking maybe a software update needs to be performed to fix the daytime running lights problem. Do you know of anyway to change the little arrow into a car?

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 03:59 PM

It gets the speed limits from the map database loaded in the navigation system. It doesn't have it for all roads, but it does for most of the main ones.
It also includes a feature where you can set it to remind you of the speed limit if you go over it by any set amount you set. For example: I have mine set to remind me if I go over the speed limit by 10mph. It works well and isn't too annoying as it will only remind you one time or until the speed limit changes.

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
I have the same unit you do, and my daytime running lights also turn off after a few seconds. And my lock button blinks all the time too, I need to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed. I'm thinking maybe a software update needs to be performed to fix the daytime running lights problem. Do you know of anyway to change the little arrow into a car?

Do you have SiriusXM on yours? Do you have a SiriusXM ID when you go to the settings?

sbulla
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Yes, I have the SiriusXM radio, the dealer set it up for me and it was already working when I took it home.

RedHaven
07-01-2013, 05:40 PM
No SiriusXM

Here is a picture showing the SiriusXM setup screen. Notice the UNKNOWN where the SiriusXM ID is suppose to be.

Mine is doing the same thing. I can't get any help from SiriusXM. They say to take it back to the dealer which is 30 minutes from my house and I have to work. I definitely should get SiriusXM. The salesman said it was included and I got a brochure with the owner's manual that said it is included. Keep us posted. If I can get it to the dealer tomorrow, I will let you know what they say.

Andree
07-01-2013, 05:41 PM
It gets the speed limits from the map database loaded in the navigation system. It doesn't have it for all roads, but it does for most of the main ones.
It also includes a feature where you can set it to remind you of the speed limit if you go over it by any set amount you set. For example: I have mine set to remind me if I go over the speed limit by 10mph. It works well and isn't too annoying as it will only remind you one time or until the speed limit changes.

In the regular Fiat, I have a speed alert, but it's only for one set speed. I have mine set at 65, which is the freeway speed. I'm always curious as to how many people are speeding, and anytime I try to "keep up with traffic" my speed limit alert goes off, flashing "speed limit exceeded" a few times in the EVIC. When it flashes the words, it also hides everything else, including my current speed (I never use the gauges, just the EVIC readout of the speed in mph).

I like your tool better, since you can set it to alert you anytime you exceed ANY speed limit a certain amount.

RedHaven
07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
In the regular Fiat, I have a speed alert, but it's only for one set speed. I have mine set at 65, which is the freeway speed. I'm always curious as to how many people are speeding, and anytime I try to "keep up with traffic" my speed limit alert goes off, flashing "speed limit exceeded" a few times in the EVIC. When it flashes the words, it also hides everything else, including my current speed (I never use the gauges, just the EVIC readout of the speed in mph).

I like your tool better, since you can set it to alert you anytime you exceed ANY speed limit a certain amount.

I like this feature as well. You can set it to warn you if you are going over the speed limit by say 15mph which is where mine is set. That way it isn't always warning me if I am just a little over but since it rides so smoothly, I regularly get a heavy foot and go 70 in a 55 and the woman warns me.

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. I can't get any help from SiriusXM. They say to take it back to the dealer which is 30 minutes from my house and I have to work. I definitely should get SiriusXM. The salesman said it was included and I got a brochure with the owner's manual that said it is included. Keep us posted. If I can get it to the dealer tomorrow, I will let you know what they say.

Try calling Uconnect directly. Their link is a few posts above. They were looking into it as well.

MaxPower
07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Yes, I have the SiriusXM radio, the dealer set it up for me and it was already working when I took it home.

Did yours come with the Beats Audio package? Does your window sticker say SiriusXM on the listing of included options?

Andree
07-01-2013, 11:29 PM
I like this feature as well. You can set it to warn you if you are going over the speed limit by say 15mph which is where mine is set. That way it isn't always warning me if I am just a little over but since it rides so smoothly, I regularly get a heavy foot and go 70 in a 55 and the woman warns me.

YES! Yes to the part of "it rides so smoothly"...and I just have a regular Fiat 500. I had watched a video on the 500e, and because it has NO ENGINE SOUNDS AT ALL, the Fiat rep lady said she'd gotten a speeding ticket. She couldn't TELL from sounds that the car was going faster than she realized.

It's something we are going to have to watch, for ourselves, even with the reminders. I'm thinking of all the older cars I'd driven or had, and they all made it pretty clear when I was going 10 miles faster than what I should be. There were higher revs, and the cars weren't nearly as quiet as today's cars are. I knew what speed I was going from the sound of the engine.

Fiat has my little automatic 500 shifting smooth, driving smooth, just whispering coming from the engine compartment. Which I like. But, MAN, is it ever hard to tell how fast I'm going!!

sbulla
07-02-2013, 06:09 AM
MaxPower, Yes, I have the beats audio package and SiurusXM was listed among included options. Hope they get this problem sorted out for you soon. Would love to see a picture of your new ride.

Andree
07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Just checking in to see if the SiriusXM is hooked up for everyone. Yes? No?

MaxPower
07-09-2013, 11:49 AM

Here is the latest I have found out. I received an email from Fiat/Chrsler customer assitance center basically stating the the 500L Easy Fiats do NOT include SiriusXM. I am still working to resolve this with them and here is why I feel it should, at least in my case:

My dealer advertised on their website that my specific vehicle included SiriusXM.
My sales person at Fiat told me it was included and even scheduled service the next day for me to have it activated.
My Fiat included a brochure with the owners manual specifically stating that my Uconnect unit includes one year free SiriusXM.
I contacted uConnect directly and they looked up my VIN and stated that it was included with my vehicle as well.

It is still unclear if the Uconnect and vehicle have the capability to do SiriusXM and that it was just not activated on the unit because they dont want to give the one year subscription or if there is actually something missing from the vehicle that prevents it from getting SiriusXM (either in the Uconnect or antenna)

ciddyguy
07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Here is the latest I have found out. I received an email from Fiat/Chrsler customer assitance center basically stating the the 500L Easy Fiats do NOT include SiriusXM. I am still working to resolve this with them and here is why I feel it should, at least in my case:

My dealer advertised on their website that my specific vehicle included SiriusXM.
My sales person at Fiat told me it was included and even scheduled service the next day for me to have it activated.
My Fiat included a brochure with the owners manual specifically stating that my Uconnect unit includes one year free SiriusXM.
I contacted uConnect directly and they looked up my VIN and stated that it was included with my vehicle as well.

It is still unclear if the Uconnect and vehicle have the capability to do SiriusXM and that it was just not activated on the unit because they dont want to give the one year subscription or if there is actually something missing from the vehicle that prevents it from getting SiriusXM (either in the Uconnect or antenna)

Technically, from what I've read, Sat radio is in the head unit itself for either unit, but has to be activated and clearly something is not right, either your unit was miss programmed or something because that is what I've read too.

Thad
07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I was at a dealership yesterday and they were struggling with the exact same situation of trying to activate Sirrius and the display had no serial number. They were trying to tell the customer that it wasn't included but I would think the smarter thing, if in fact the car doesn't have it, would be to remove all references to Sirrius from the software. The sales person was saying it had it. Techs were saying it didn't. I don't know the real story. Just relaying something that is obviously happening at more than one dealer.

Andree
07-09-2013, 05:48 PM

Just got off the phone with Uconnect.

SiriusXM is ONLY on models that specifically have the BEATS audio system. If it doesn't have Beats, it doesn't have SiriusXM.

It will say Beats and SiriusXM on the window sticker. This is an example of a 500L Easy model window sticker that has the Beats package along with the Premier Package and Popular Equipment:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Customer Preferred Package 22D
Popular Equipment Group
$ 700
Dual Zone Automatic Temperature
Control
Power Driver 4-Way Lumbar Adjust
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
115-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet
Rear Seat with Armrest and Cup Holder
Easy Premier Package Plus Beats(TM)
Audio/SiriusXM
$ 700
Beats (TM) Audio 6 Premium Speakers
Plus Subwoofer
SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio
Subscription
Black / Cementite Seats
Cementite (Gray) Instrument Panel
Bezels
6-Speed Euro Twin Clutch Transmission
$ 1,350
Heated Front Seats
$ 350
Nero Roof (Black)
$ 500
Premier Package Value: $1,745
Includes Uconnect 6.5" Touch Screen
Radio with GPS Navigation System,
RearView Back-up Camera, and
ParkSense Rear Park Assist.
Compliments of FIAT.
DESTINATION CHARGE $ 800

This is an example of a 500L Easy with the Premier package and popular equipment group, and does not have Beats/SiriusXM:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Popular Equipment Group
$ 700
Control
Easy Premier Package
Red / Cementite Seats with Gray
Instrument Panel
Bezels
$ 1,350
Compliments of FIAT.
DESTINATION CHARGE $ 800

Asking if it's just a matter of activation, I was told "no". There are parts that are not in the unit if the Beats package is not ordered and it apparently can't currently be retrofitted.

BUT, due to the confusion, the matter has been escalated to Engineering, and they are currently working on a future update/parts.

From what I understand, there have been not only confused customers, but confused studios and sales personnel and techs and studio managers too. Because the unit without Beats still has the Sirius thing, as shown in the photo from MaxPower. It LOOKS like it should have Sirius. But it's something more related to keeping the units uniform (cheaper to produce).

And a Service Bulletin went out to all dealerships within the last week or so (this is what I was told on the phone), explaining the Sirius confusion. My phone representative was unable to find the contents of, or the number of, the Service Bulletin specifics.

From this point on, there should be no confusion at the dealership/studio level. Remember, the vehicle was new to everyone, not just customers, but all the people at the Studio hadn't seen one before either. So everyone may have thought all the cars had it, thanks to the unit showing SiriusXM, even though it didn't work and wasn't included on the window sticker.

When the "fix" comes out, some dealers may well do the work for the customers who had been promised SiriusXM and didn't get it (who thought they WERE getting it). I'm thinking of you, MaxPower.

Obviously, the fix/upgrade will be available for all customers, so even though a person bought the car and knew it didn't come with Sirius, they can upgrade later.

That's the info I was able to glean from a phone conversation and I hope it helps. I even "tested" the VIN system, and only the vehicles that SHOW the Beats/SiriusXM on the window sticker are the ones with the ability to activate/use SiriusXM. If it doesn't say it on the window sticker, it's not on the vehicle. That applies to the Easy, Trekking, Lounge.

If they looked up your VIN, and it has the SiriusXM, then it should be on your window sticker. Is it on your window sticker?

Edit: And do you have Beats?

Edit2: Reread original post, you don't have Beats, so it wouldn't be on the window sticker. No idea why you would have been told that the vehicle should have Sirius access via the Uconnect VIN look-up, unless some of the confusion also resided at that level. Perhaps they were telling everyone with the 6.5 that the audio included Sirius.

I also pointed out to the customer service person how the description on their site is somewhat misleading. If it says Sirius is "available" and doesn't qualify in what cases it is or is not available, then one would think it's available one way or another on all units of the 6.5 type.

To be told that it is NOT available on non-Beats units isn't of any help to someone who bought a non-Beats unit and expected the Sirius to be "available".

Andree
07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I was at a dealership yesterday and they were struggling with the exact same situation of trying to activate Sirrius and the display had no serial number. They were trying to tell the customer that it wasn't included but I would think the smarter thing, if in fact the car doesn't have it, would be to remove all references to Sirrius from the software. The sales person was saying it had it. Techs were saying it didn't. I don't know the real story. Just relaying something that is obviously happening at more than one dealer.

If you want, I'll call that dealership, they probably have a toll-free number. It would be nice to have all the dealers saying the same thing.

ciddyguy
07-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Just got off the phone with Uconnect.

SiriusXM is ONLY on models that specifically have the BEATS audio system. If it doesn't have Beats, it doesn't have SiriusXM.

It will say Beats and SiriusXM on the window sticker. This is an example of a 500L Easy model window sticker that has the Beats package along with the Premier Package and Popular Equipment:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Popular Equipment Group
$ 700
Control
Easy Premier Package Plus Beats(TM)
Audio/SiriusXM
$ 700
Plus Subwoofer
Subscription
Black / Cementite Seats
Bezels
$ 1,350
Heated Front Seats
$ 350
Nero Roof (Black)
$ 500
Compliments of FIAT.
DESTINATION CHARGE $ 800

This is an example of a 500L Easy with the Premier package and popular equipment group, and does not have Beats/SiriusXM:

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Popular Equipment Group
$ 700
Control
Easy Premier Package
Red / Cementite Seats with Gray
Instrument Panel
Bezels
$ 1,350
Compliments of FIAT.
DESTINATION CHARGE $ 800

Asking if it's just a matter of activation, I was told "no". There are parts that are not in the unit if the Beats package is not ordered and it apparently can't currently be retrofitted.

BUT, due to the confusion, the matter has been escalated to Engineering, and they are currently working on a future update/parts.

From what I understand, there have been not only confused customers, but confused studios and sales personnel and techs and studio managers too. Because the unit without Beats still has the Sirius thing, as shown in the photo from MaxPower. It LOOKS like it should have Sirius. But it's something more related to keeping the units uniform (cheaper to produce).

And a Service Bulletin went out to all dealerships within the last week or so (this is what I was told on the phone), explaining the Sirius confusion. My phone representative was unable to find the contents of, or the number of, the Service Bulletin specifics.

From this point on, there should be no confusion at the dealership/studio level. Remember, the vehicle was new to everyone, not just customers, but all the people at the Studio hadn't seen one before either. So everyone may have thought all the cars had it, thanks to the unit showing SiriusXM, even though it didn't work and wasn't included on the window sticker.

When the "fix" comes out, some dealers may well do the work for the customers who had been promised SiriusXM and didn't get it (who thought they WERE getting it). I'm thinking of you, MaxPower.

Obviously, the fix/upgrade will be available for all customers, so even though a person bought the car and knew it didn't come with Sirius, they can upgrade later.

That's the info I was able to glean from a phone conversation and I hope it helps. I even "tested" the VIN system, and only the vehicles that SHOW the Beats/SiriusXM on the window sticker are the ones with the ability to activate/use SiriusXM. If it doesn't say it on the window sticker, it's not on the vehicle. That applies to the Easy, Trekking, Lounge.

If they looked up your VIN, and it has the SiriusXM, then it should be on your window sticker. Is it on your window sticker?

Edit: And do you have Beats?

Edit2: Reread original post, you don't have Beats, so it wouldn't be on the window sticker. No idea why you would have been told that the vehicle should have Sirius access via the Uconnect VIN look-up, unless some of the confusion also resided at that level. Perhaps they were telling everyone with the 6.5 that the audio included Sirius.

I also pointed out to the customer service person how the description on their site is somewhat misleading. If it says Sirius is "available" and doesn't qualify in what cases it is or is not available, then one would think it's available one way or another on all units of the 6.5 type.

To be told that it is NOT available on non-Beats units isn't of any help to someone who bought a non-Beats unit and expected the Sirius to be "available".

Thank you for that info. That is good to know. I know the sat nav is retroactive later, as long as the dealer does the activation for a customer that bought the car with it never activated by the original owner. That much is clear, as is the fact that Nav is already available on the 5" unit, though not enhanced in any way, but it is available.

I was lead to believe that the satellite radio was available too, whether you activated it, or not as I don't care for sat radio so I don't really care if I get it, or not, and if it's part of a package then I won't activate it, if it hasn't been done by the dealer, and I'd say, don't even bother before I drove it off the lot in the first place.

Andree
07-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Thank you for that info. That is good to know. I know the sat nav is retroactive later, as long as the dealer does the activation for a customer that bought the car with it never activated by the original owner. That much is clear, as is the fact that Nav is already available on the 5" unit, though not enhanced in any way, but it is available.

I was lead to believe that the satellite radio was available too, whether you activated it, or not as I don't care for sat radio so I don't really care if I get it, or not, and if it's part of a package then I won't activate it, if it hasn't been done by the dealer, and I'd say, don't even bother before I drove it off the lot in the first place.

Also remember that I'm assuming the person I talked to has the correct and most up-to-date info there is. It may not be (correct or up-to-date). LOL!

The only part I can verify is inputting VINs into the system at their end won't show Sirius available on vehicles that did not come with the Beats system.

Spancho
07-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Just picked up our my Trekking yesterday, and so glad I found this forum and thread! It's my first new car and I'm delighted with the ride and styling, but yes there are a few quirks.

I agree with what others have said - that the dealers really don't know the model yet and are giving inaccurate information. My salesperson told me I'd have free Sirius XM for a year, when Sirius didn't even come with the car! I did not get the beats package. Yes, there is a Sirius bottom on the touchscreen, but no radio ID. I will continue to watch this thread to see if anyone gets some positive new on a free upgrade or module allowing it to be activated.

The blinking lock light is annoying. Glad to hear it can be fixed. Is there a specific TB number I can let my service department know about?

Tweak
07-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Just picked up our my Trekking yesterday, and so glad I found this forum and thread! It's my first new car and I'm delighted with the ride and styling, but yes there are a few quirks.

I agree with what others have said - that the dealers really don't know the model yet and are giving inaccurate information. My salesperson told me I'd have free Sirius XM for a year, when Sirius didn't even come with the car! I did not get the beats package. Yes, there is a Sirius bottom on the touchscreen, but no radio ID. I will continue to watch this thread to see if anyone gets some positive new on a free upgrade or module allowing it to be activated.

The blinking lock light is annoying. Glad to hear it can be fixed. Is there a specific TB number I can let my service department know about?

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride, haven't heard of anyone getting a Trekking yet, hope you share some pics and enjoy the forum.

sbulla
07-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Almost held out for the Trekking model, but I didn't like the black on the front of the car. The Trekking does look more sporty and I think it will be the hot seller in the 500L

Spancho
07-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride, haven't heard of anyone getting a Trekking yet, hope you share some pics and enjoy the forum.

Hubby snapped a shot of me leaving the dealership:

sbulla
07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Love the yellow color with the white roof. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.

Spancho
07-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm having a blast! It's our first new car purchase. Thankfully I live half a mile from the local studio and passed the lot a couple of weeks ago when this baby arrived. Last Saturday we stopped in just to have a peek. One week later I drove it off the lot.

Tweak
07-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Hubby snapped a shot of me leaving the dealership:

Sweet! I do look forward to seeing this is in person, this is the first pic I have seen of one outside of media/ad pics. :cool:

blackswan
07-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Also new here :-)
In the metro-Detroit area and I've been anticipating the delivery of the Trekking. According to the dealership *tomorrow* is the day. I'm not holding my breath.. but hopefully this week.

Couple of questions Spancho--do you have an armrest/cupholder in the rear seats? What is your seat color (Marrone-brown)? I think the first yellow Trekkings are all the same.

I'd like to buy one within the next month.. just not sure if I should get one of the first wave… or wait for the next (seriously would love the panoramic sunroof).

Thanks in advance

Andree
07-21-2013, 10:29 AM
In the metro-Detroit area and I've been anticipating the delivery of the Trekking. According to the dealership *tomorrow* is the day. I'm not holding my breath.. but hopefully this week.

Couple of questions Spancho--do you have an armrest/cupholder in the rear seats? What is your seat color (Marrone-brown)? I think the first yellow Trekkings are all the same.

I'd like to buy one within the next month.. just not sure if I should get one of the first wave… or wait for the next (seriously would love the panoramic sunroof).

Thanks in advance

All Trekking 500L models come with the brown trimmed interior and rear seat armrest/cupholder (shows armrest up):
http://www.fiatusaofstrongsville.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-80f4f656404638d3568da80f42b009b3.htm

This one shows armrest down:
http://www.fiatusaoftinleypark.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-a0b432c90a0a0065000b5cd837788c2b.htm

I'm wrong, it says on the window sticker that the Popular Equipment Group includes the rear seat armrest:
Popular Equipment Group
$ 700
Control

Sorry for the error!

Here is a link showing a Trekking model without the rear seat arm rest (in the Popular Equipment Group):
http://www.fiatusaofstrongsville.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-80f7a801404638d3568da80f694083cb.htm

Curious
07-21-2013, 05:11 PM
All Trekking 500L models come with the brown trimmed interior and rear seat armrest/cupholder (shows armrest up):
http://www.fiatusaofstrongsville.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-80f4f656404638d3568da80f42b009b3.htm

What's interesting to note is that this car has a sunroof and it's not listed as optional on the dealers web site, nor is it listed as an option , or as standard when you view the window sticker! Sure looks nice though.

Andree
07-21-2013, 08:00 PM
What's interesting to note is that this car has a sunroof and it's not listed as optional on the dealers web site, nor is it listed as an option , or as standard when you view the window sticker! Sure looks nice though.

Whoa! Good catch! I did not notice that. I wonder if they had one previously with the sunroof, and just used the pictures for this one?

Andree
07-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Thanks in advance

So you want the yellow with the sunroof? And the Popular Equipment group? There are several in the yellow with the white roof, but they don't have the sunroof or the Popular Equipment group.

Tweak
07-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing a Trekking in person myself sometime!

blackswan
07-22-2013, 09:09 AM
If I got to build a package I would like the sunroof and popular equipment group I suppose. From the FiatUSA website there seems to be 5 'packages'. According to the dealer's last email on Friday this is what the Trekking will include: yellow, tricking premier package, 6-speed automatic, white roof, customer preferred package, brown and beige seats, MSRP of 23 845 His wording :confused:

I think the difference is what is a Popular Equipment group/'tricking' premier package vs. Customer Preferred Package(that you mentioned).

I'll report back when I can.

PS--I come across the mention of a CD player in so many specification pages. I for one utilize a CD player for books on CD for my crazy commute to work. Radio gives me a headache!

blackswan
07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the help and welcome :smile:

Andree
07-22-2013, 10:28 AM
If I got to build a package I would like the sunroof and popular equipment group I suppose. From the FiatUSA website there seems to be 5 'packages'. According to the dealer's last email on Friday this is what the Trekking will include: yellow, tricking premier package, 6-speed automatic, white roof, customer preferred package, brown and beige seats, MSRP of 23 845 His wording :confused:

I think the difference is what is a Popular Equipment group/'tricking' premier package vs. Customer Preferred Package(that you mentioned).

I'll report back when I can.

PS--I come across the mention of a CD player in so many specification pages. I for one utilize a CD player for books on CD for my crazy commute to work. Radio gives me a headache!

Okay, let's go into details, and I hope I'll get it all right this time.

Customer Preferred Package = transmission:

22G = 6-Speed Euro Twin Clutch Transmission
$ 1,350

21G = 6-Speed Manual Transmission (clutch pedal)

Premier Package, automatically included on every single Easy, Trekking, and Lounge model, DOES NOT HAVE CD PLAYER, DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO SIRIUS XM satellite radio, does not come with a subscription to sirius xm satellite radio:

Compliments of FIAT.

Adds a subwoofer, has a black "b" on red circle background on speakers, DOES NOT HAVE A CD PLAYER, does come with access to sirius xm satellite radio and provides access for one year.

Trekking Premier Pkg Plus Beats(TM)
Audio/SiriusXM
$ 700
Plus Subwoofer
Subscription

This will give you the rear seat cupholder and armrest.

Popular Equipment Group
$ 700
Control

This is probably your vehicle:
http://www.fiatusaofbloomfieldhills.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-Detroit-8c4827b90a0a00e0012b753020380768.htm

It does not have:
Trekking Premier Pkg Plus Beats(TM) (no satellite radio)
Popular Equipment Group (no cupholder)
And no sunroof

It does have the white painted roof. ($500)

If you want the CD player, the only model it is available in currently is the Pop model that comes with the manual transmission only, and has a smaller screen for the UConnect. You cannot currently get an automatic with the CD player. POP MODELS ONLY HAVE A STICK SHIFT. ALSO, LOUNGE MODELS ONLY COME IN AN AUTOMATIC.

All Trekkings so far in the US will only have the brown/black combo seats. There is a white/black option in the UK, but we don't get it.

If you want more options, there is a green with white roof, automatic, Popular Equipment, Trekking Premiere plus Beats, Engine block heater coming in:
http://www.fiatusaofbloomfieldhills.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-Detroit-a0c6210e0a0a0049006ede1b312e40a3.htm

The dealership only has one Pop (CD player) in Graphite with Black/gray seats.

blackswan
07-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Just got an email from the dealer (Macomb MI, not Bloomfield Hills) that the yellow trekking just arrived and is being prepped.
I'll be headed there this afternoon.

Okay, let's go into details, and I hope I'll get it all right this time.

Customer Preferred Package = transmission:

22G = 6-Speed Euro Twin Clutch Transmission
$ 1,350

21G = 6-Speed Manual Transmission (clutch pedal)

Premier Package, automatically included on every single Easy, Trekking, and Lounge model, DOES NOT HAVE CD PLAYER, DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO SIRIUS XM satellite radio, does not come with a subscription to sirius xm satellite radio:

Compliments of FIAT.

Adds a subwoofer, has a black "b" on red circle background on speakers, DOES NOT HAVE A CD PLAYER, does come with access to sirius xm satellite radio and provides access for one year.

Trekking Premier Pkg Plus Beats(TM)
Audio/SiriusXM
$ 700
Plus Subwoofer
Subscription

This will give you the rear seat cupholder and armrest.

Popular Equipment Group
$ 700
Control

This is probably your vehicle:
http://www.fiatusaofbloomfieldhills.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-Detroit-8c4827b90a0a00e0012b753020380768.htm

It does not have:
Trekking Premier Pkg Plus Beats(TM) (no satellite radio)
Popular Equipment Group (no cupholder)
And no sunroof

It does have the white painted roof. ($500)

If you want the CD player, the only model it is available in currently is the Pop model that comes with the manual transmission only, and has a smaller screen for the UConnect. You cannot currently get an automatic with the CD player. POP MODELS ONLY HAVE A STICK SHIFT. ALSO, LOUNGE MODELS ONLY COME IN AN AUTOMATIC.

All Trekkings so far in the US will only have the brown/black combo seats. There is a white/black option in the UK, but we don't get it.

If you want more options, there is a green with white roof, automatic, Popular Equipment, Trekking Premiere plus Beats, Engine block heater coming in:
http://www.fiatusaofbloomfieldhills.com/new/FIAT/2014-FIAT-500L-Detroit-a0c6210e0a0a0049006ede1b312e40a3.htm

The dealership only has one Pop (CD player) in Graphite with Black/gray seats.

Andree
07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Just got an email from the dealer (Macomb MI, not Bloomfield Hills) that the yellow trekking just arrived and is being prepped.
I'll be headed there this afternoon.

Awesome! Hope to see pics soon!

blackswan
07-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Update--
This car wasn't prepped yet when we arrived-- the protective cover was still on the hood. I included a pic of the Marrone interior and notice the *shiny* details on the dash.

And, correct--no beats, therefore no rear armrest/cupholder.

Himmed and hawed and haggled... in the end the numbers were not where we wanted to be. He lowballed us on the trade-in.

Good luck everyone.

Cammilla500L
07-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Yes, My Easy has SiriusXM in it....and it was working when I bought it. Love my beats system too!

Andree
07-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Update--
This car wasn't prepped yet when we arrived-- the protective cover was still on the hood. I included a pic of the Marrone interior and notice the *shiny* details on the dash.

And, correct--no beats, therefore no rear armrest/cupholder.

Himmed and hawed and haggled... in the end the numbers were not where we wanted to be. He lowballed us on the trade-in.

Good luck everyone.

Wait, does that mean you did get it or didn't get it?

I like the look of the yellow/white with the white hood.

I like the shiny dash. Prefer the shiny dash over the fabric.

blackswan
07-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Correct, I did not buy it yesterday. I wanted more for the trade in.

Andree
07-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Correct, I did not buy it yesterday. I wanted more for the trade in.

Oh, sorry. I wanted more for mine too, and probably could have gotten more by putting it up for sale locally. But that would have taken longer, and I would have been without a car completely. Which means rental car, and that can get expensive. For me, it was a little different though, I didn't think I could take one more week of my former car's driver's seat pressing on my spine.

Some folks have mentioned this place before:
http://www.carmax.com/enus/we-buy-cars/default.html

Or try another dealer.

Spancho
07-24-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks in advance

Our yellow/white does not have the armrest/cupholder. That option comes in the same package as the dual climate control. We searched in neighboring states for a yellow trekking with those options but none could be found. Then we realized that even if it did have a rear cupholder, it only holds ONE cup for the entire backseat. Not exactly ideal.

Seat color is... I want to say grayish? It has the 500 monogrammed in the front seats and the brownish leather type trim on the steering wheel and interior doors.

If you are considering the sunroof (we didn't get) keep in mind that the roof does not open even a fraction of the roof window length. Someone as a video of that here or on YouTube.

Spancho
07-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Yes, the shiny gloss black dash is nice - but I prefer a color interior and thankfully, have a husband who is handy. My hubby went to the parts department at Fiat and a great, patient lady behind the counter printed for him the schematics and removal instructions for the entire front dashboard. It took him maybe two hours and now the gloss black pieces are at a body shop being repainted/sprayed to match the yellow exterior. YaHOO!

Re: Trade in, our dealer was low balling us on the trade in. We listed our vehicle on craigslist and got $2700 above what the dealer was offering. Give craigslist a try. It could make a big difference.

Andree
07-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Yes, the shiny gloss black dash is nice - but I prefer a color interior and thankfully, have a husband who is handy. My hubby went to the parts department at Fiat and a great, patient lady behind the counter printed for him the schematics and removal instructions for the entire front dashboard. It took him maybe two hours and now the gloss black pieces are at a body shop being repainted/sprayed to match the yellow exterior. YaHOO!

Re: Trade in, our dealer was low balling us on the trade in. We listed our vehicle on craigslist and got $2700 above what the dealer was offering. Give craigslist a try. It could make a big difference.

Looking forward to seeing how nice the yellow dash will look. Please post pictures.

Andree
07-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Our yellow/white does not have the armrest/cupholder. That option comes in the same package as the dual climate control. We searched in neighboring states for a yellow trekking with those options but none could be found. Then we realized that even if it did have a rear cupholder, it only holds ONE cup for the entire backseat. Not exactly ideal.

Seat color is... I want to say grayish? It has the 500 monogrammed in the front seats and the brownish leather type trim on the steering wheel and interior doors.

If you are considering the sunroof (we didn't get) keep in mind that the roof does not open even a fraction of the roof window length. Someone as a video of that here or on YouTube.

On the dual climate control, is that front/back or left/right? I have no idea.

Spancho
07-24-2013, 07:09 AM
I think it's left/right.

ciddyguy
07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
I think it's left/right.

I believe you are correct, as that is how I've understood dual climate controls on most cars.

Andree
07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
I believe you are correct, as that is how I've understood dual climate controls on most cars.

I downloaded the manual, and you're both right. At first it didn't make sense until I thought of those cold days when one side has sun and the other side is COLD. Or, the hot sunny days where the blazing sun is threatening to make the driver burst into flames while the passenger sits in shade.

Cammilla500L
07-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Today I took my 500L on a crooked road. Highway 178 or also know as the Kern Canyon Road. My car handled great and took the curves great. Usually when I drive the Kern Canyon road I'll have to use the turnouts for faster traffic to get by. This time people had to turnout for me to pass them! It was fun!

I'm so happy! :D

Andree
07-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Today I took my 500L on a crooked road. Highway 178 or also know as the Kern Canyon Road. My car handled great and took the curves great. Usually when I drive the Kern Canyon road I'll have to use the turnouts for faster traffic to get by. This time people had to turnout for me to pass them! It was fun!

Wonderful! Sounds like you have the right car for you and the area. You want your vehicle to be able to easily handle the roads you drive on. You need that extra oomph to pass, and you've got it now.

I know you said it was hot in your area, how are you doing with the big glass and air conditioning? The white roof does keep it cooler, doesn't it?

Andree
07-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Oh. Look. Russian spam. :disturbed:

Fiat500USA
07-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Took care of it. Banned, removed, reported. bluegrab

Tweak
07-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Sounds like you had a great time, wish I had roads like that nearby!

Thanks for the heads up, I see Chris beat me here.

Took care of it. Banned, removed, reported. bluegrab

Quick draw. :D

mason702
07-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Good! I have the feeling that because the vehicle is new to the Fiat dealerships as well as the rest of us, someone left out a step on your car at the dealership. Maybe on all the cars.

From the posts and pics you've put up of the UConnect, it looks to have all kinds of settings and info that is useful, but complex. It may not be a problem with the unit itself, the things like the daytime running lights, but maybe with something that was supposed to be done on your car and got missed.

what did they do to reset your radio. my dealership want me to get a new head unit so i can get sxm

Andree
07-26-2013, 09:35 PM
what did they do to reset your radio. my dealership want me to get a new head unit so i can get sxm

So far, there isn't a way to activate the Sirius on vehicles that did not come with the Beats/Sirius package. It is not included with the Premier Package, it is included with the Premier Plus Beats.

Don't bother buying the pricey new head unit. Not yet. There have been too many people confused and misled with the Sirius icon showing up on their regular UConnect 6.5 unit (the one without BEATS), that I believe Chrysler will be working on a less expensive "fix" to allow the regular UConnect to be updated for less than a total replacement head unit.

Both customers and employees have been confused, and it's made a mess on a fairly large scale.

Last night I'd been reading some of the old threads on the regular 500 and people wanting to add Sirius to their regular radio.

This post in particular is of interest:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6426-Fiat-500-Standard-Radio-Converted-to-Fiat-Sirius-Satellite-Radio&p=568469&viewfull=1#post568469

If the situation with the 500L is anything like that post, there are hookups, wiring, and an antenna needed. It's not just a computer flash thing or assigning a Sirius ID number. The head units are DIFFERENT, with the Beats version having an extra port for the satellite.

Oh, and I wasn't ignoring your other post, it's just that you said your post was for 500L owners. I am not a 500L owner. I have a regular 500. I'm literal. So it wasn't right for me to post in a thread for owners.

Cammilla500L
07-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Wonderful! Sounds like you have the right car for you and the area. You want your vehicle to be able to easily handle the roads you drive on. You need that extra oomph to pass, and you've got it now.

I know you said it was hot in your area, how are you doing with the big glass and air conditioning? The white roof does keep it cooler, doesn't it?

The white roof does help. The dealer is going to have a darker tint put on the windows once they find a tinter who can do the plastic side windows (I'm considering not having the plastic ones tinted). The AC takes a few minutes to cool the car but I'm not going to complain when it's been 110+ degrees!

One of the cars I traded in (I traded a Dodge Caravan and Nissan Senta) was a Sentra.....it was ok on the roads near me....but I have to say there is no comparison to the great ride I get with this Fiat! Love this car!!!

Andree
07-27-2013, 12:03 AM
The white roof does help. The dealer is going to have a darker tint put on the windows once they find a tinter who can do the plastic side windows (I'm considering not having the plastic ones tinted). The AC takes a few minutes to cool the car but I'm not going to complain when it's been 110+ degrees!

One of the cars I traded in (I traded a Dodge Caravan and Nissan Senta) was a Sentra.....it was ok on the roads near me....but I have to say there is no comparison to the great ride I get with this Fiat! Love this car!!!

Whoa! 110. Too hot.

Go for the tint on the regular windows for now. Those windows are bigger and the light entering hits the seats and the floor, it's all open. Nobody sits in the cargo compartment anyway, and having the passenger area tinted should help. Also light coming into the cargo compartment from the little back windows is not hitting open space, it's hitting the cover for the cargo space.

Getting a car that works better for you can be a life-changing moment. Really. Being able to do what you couldn't do before builds confidence, self-esteem.

For me with my regular 500, it has helped make my store trips much less painful. I have a crummy back and other problems, and the car I had before had seats that pushed on the painful part of my back. So I dreaded going anywhere. It wasn't so bad at first (anything was better than walking or the bus), but seemed to make my back pain WORSE after awhile.

Now with MY Fiat, I can drive without the seat-induced pain, and use the heated seat option for on-the-road therapy. Feels good on the back. The Fiat doesn't make my pain worse, it seems to help. And that does make things easier for me. I don't even want to get out of the car sometimes, just wish I could turn on the seat heater and lay back and rest. LOL.

Cammilla500L
07-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Andree I would have never bought the Sentra if I'd know how bad the seats were. I also have a bad back that I have been babying for years trying my best to not have surgery.
I bought the Sentra strictly for economy and I only test drove it for a few miles. I live 110 miles from my family in Bakersfield and travel back in forth. The seats in the Sentra killed my back just after a few minutes. I sometimes I crawled out of the car barely able to walk. My legs would also go numb while driving.

When I test drove the 500L I could tell right a way that the seats were going to be easy on my back! Great support! I wish the seat bottoms were a little bit longer as I do have long legs but I'm getting used to that.

I think you are right about the windows too.

Curious
07-27-2013, 08:10 AM
I wish the seat bottoms were a little bit longer as I do have long legs but I'm getting used to that.

If only you could put a seat from a 500 Abarth into your 500L then I think your seat bottom length problem would be solved. That is one very comfortable seat. And the headrest on that seat is so much more comfortable for your head than the hard headrest on the 500. It's really a very nice, comfortable seat.

Andree
07-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Andree I would have never bought the Sentra if I'd know how bad the seats were. I also have a bad back that I have been babying for years trying my best to not have surgery.
I bought the Sentra strictly for economy and I only test drove it for a few miles. I live 110 miles from my family in Bakersfield and travel back in forth. The seats in the Sentra killed my back just after a few minutes. I sometimes I crawled out of the car barely able to walk. My legs would also go numb while driving.

When I test drove the 500L I could tell right a way that the seats were going to be easy on my back! Great support! I wish the seat bottoms were a little bit longer as I do have long legs but I'm getting used to that.

I think you are right about the windows too.

Yup, I lose the feeling in my legs too, but more just around the apartment. It can be one, the other, or both. I bought my last car for economy and price, it was a Honda Fit, and never even test drove it before buying it. I just wanted the least expensive, most reliable, best on gas, in an automatic. The stick shift is also not my friend.

Had the Fiat been around then, I would have gone for it. There just weren't a lot of cars to choose from. I tried cushions and using a plastic bag to help me slide in and out of that car, even some big round rotating thing that is probably not meant for cars, but I was desperate. I have to get to the doctor appointments and the grocery store.

It doesn't mean that I'm without pain in the Fiat, I still have the crapola back pain, sometimes much worse than other times, but the seat isn't doing it's best to paralyze me in the Fiat. In the Honda, not only did it have the lower back portion poking at me, but had weird forward tilting headrest that I couldn't lean back against anyway because they kind of made my head look at my feet. The Fiat round headrests in the regular 500 are fine, they're upright, and I do occasionally lean back at stop lights for my head to rest.

It's a terrible thing to have the back problems. If the car ride drains you on the way, you just don't have the energy or the positive mood to do much of anything when you get to where you want to go. And that draining thing can be in just a couple miles.

So glad to hear the Fiat 500L is gentle on your back. I mention it when people ask about my regular 500. I know not everyone has a bad back, but those that do will want to know what cars to try out.

The only thing I wish the Fiat had for me is a heated steering wheel, as I also have problems in my hands and they get very cold and numb if they are elevated. So I get to take turns in the winter using one hand or the other while the non-steering hand is held in front of the heater vent.

Cammilla500L
07-28-2013, 01:33 AM
I feel your pain Andree! I'm also liking the smoother ride too. The Sentra made me feel every bump. Love the shocks on the 500L! Now I'm looking for reasons to take the car out to drive because its so much fun to drive.

blackswan
07-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Update...
I picked up my Yellow 500L trekking last Friday. The dealer (different from the first) worked with me on a better trade in price. Promptly drove it from Detroit area to Nigara Falls.. Great test for all the comforts/bells and whistles. I have a right hip/groin injury due to a medical emergency 2 years ago that would flare up with distance/time in the old car (2009 Pontiac Vibe). Not with the Trekking...it was great or the hip/low back. The border security officer was curious about it, so it was a nice diversion from the usual stress of a border crossing. The navigation had a minor blip after we stopped for lunch ( was avoiding the main highway). I just re-told it to 'go home' and all was ok.

I do not have SirusXM. I am curious how this will be resolved... I'd be happy with a rebate check as it is not a feature that I need.

Happy to answer questions.

Andree
07-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Update...
I picked up my Yellow 500L trekking last Friday. The dealer (different from the first) worked with me on a better trade in price. Promptly drove it from Detroit area to Nigara Falls.. Great test for all the comforts/bells and whistles. I have a right hip/groin injury due to a medical emergency 2 years ago that would flare up with distance/time in the old car (2009 Pontiac Vibe). Not with the Trekking...it was great or the hip/low back. The border security officer was curious about it, so it was a nice diversion from the usual stress of a border crossing. The navigation had a minor blip after we stopped for lunch ( was avoiding the main highway). I just re-told it to 'go home' and all was ok.

I do not have SirusXM. I am curious how this will be resolved... I'd be happy with a rebate check as it is not a feature that I need.

Happy to answer questions.

Congrats! Glad you found a dealer willing to work with you. Positive news for the comfort level again.

It's funny, whenever people "disappear" from the forum, they've just bought their new Fiat and are out driving it all over!

armywife1971
08-24-2013, 01:44 AM

We bought a 500L in July, it's an Easy and it has SiriusXM. In fact all of the ones we looked at had it. We had the issue with the flashing lock button too, but it was fixed with an update to the software.

Luv2byte
08-30-2013, 10:05 PM

My trekking came w beats and Sxm. I also didn't leave the lot until I made sure everything was activated. I loved our dealership, they worked hard to be sure we were happy.

Abarth619
08-30-2013, 10:55 PM
My wife wants a 500L really bad, even more so now that I have my Abarth, congrats and welcome! I have to say the 500L is pretty sharp looking. Good luck with it and I hope Fiat Cares steps up and solves your concerns swiftly.

Andree
08-31-2013, 11:19 AM
My wife wants a 500L really bad, even more so now that I have my Abarth, congrats and welcome! I have to say the 500L is pretty sharp looking. Good luck with it and I hope Fiat Cares steps up and solves your concerns swiftly.

So, well, and? Has your wife been out for a test drive? Which kind does she want? Are you going to match up the 500L to the Abarth? I haven't seen anyone do that yet, but since the Pop comes in the Abarth colors, only has the stick (and has a CD player!!!), and has a black/red combo interior, seems like someone should/will match up eventually.

Contrast mirror caps could be bought. It would be cool.

Magmag111
10-24-2014, 08:52 PM
I've had my 500l for 2 weeks.. Love it!!! I have a question about the EVIC display. When I first got the car it displayed the month and day. Don't know what I did but when I did some menu changes and the digital speed display showed up. Which I liked. Well when they turned on my navigation and did some updates the month and day are back. I can't figure out how to get the digital speed to show up. Any ideas? I can't see the speedometer that well during the day or I wouldn't worry about it.. Thanks

Andree
10-24-2014, 09:13 PM
I've had my 500l for 2 weeks.. Love it!!! I have a question about the EVIC display. When I first got the car it displayed the month and day. Don't know what I did but when I did some menu changes and the digital speed display showed up. Which I liked. Well when they turned on my navigation and did some updates the month and day are back. I can't figure out how to get the digital speed to show up. Any ideas? I can't see the speedometer that well during the day or I wouldn't worry about it.. Thanks

Instructions posted in other thread:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?13481-Comments-on-the-500L-after-one-month-of-ownership&p=711803&viewfull=1#post711803

And WELCOME to the forum!

lsm
11-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Hi all-

New 500L owner here. Great thread. For anyone concerned about tinting the A Pillar glass it's not an issue. I had mine tinted with 50% on Monday and all is well...not even a scratch.

Scott

Tweak
11-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Hi all-

New 500L owner here. Great thread. For anyone concerned about tinting the A Pillar glass it's not an issue. I had mine tinted with 50% on Monday and all is well...not even a scratch.

Scott

Welcome to the forum Scott. As long as the tinter knows the glass isn't glass things should be fine...sadly some were not aware and it resulted in ended poorly.