PDA

View Full Version : Help, suggestions needed

sbulla
06-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Well I have had my 500L for 5 days now, and I love it! I'm getting used to everything and am really pleased with the 29 mpg average with mostly in town driving so far. I only have one complaint about this car----the leather seats are hard as a rock. Any suggestions on how to soften them up. Maybe a cushion I could buy. I'm thinking I may have to get them fitted with extra padding or something. I wish I could take the seats out of my 300 and put them in the fiat. lol

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Well I have had my 500L for 5 days now, and I love it! I'm getting used to everything and am really pleased with the 29 mpg average with mostly in town driving so far. I only have one complaint about this car----the leather seats are hard as a rock. Any suggestions on how to soften them up. Maybe a cushion I could buy. I'm thinking I may have to get them fitted with extra padding or something. I wish I could take the seats out of my 300 and put them in the fiat. lol

I don't have any suggestion on remedies, but in researching this car, I knew that going in when I test drove it last weekend and a sit in the car when checking it out should have told you something about how it feels, even on a short trip.

Then again, I am used to firm seats, as I have them in my current car.

sbulla
06-28-2013, 12:05 PM
I did notice on the test drive that the seats were very firm. I thought I would get used to them or do something about it later on, I liked the car that much.

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 12:13 PM
I did notice on the test drive that the seats were very firm. I thought I would get used to them or do something about it later on, I liked the car that much.

That tells you something, doesn't it? ;-) That the car is that good in my estimation.

Fiat500USA
06-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I remember Mercedes doing a study way back when saying that firm seats keep you alert during long drives. I've had cars that I have had to get used to like that, so give it some time and hopefully, you'll get used to them too. Maybe they will break in somewhat.

sbulla
06-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Maybe I'll just try a thin cushion on the back of the seat for awhile.

Felnus
06-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Maybe I'll just try a thin cushion on the back of the seat for awhile.

Is the issue the back of the seat or the bottom? Isn't the lumber support adjustable on some trim levels?

sbulla
06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Yea, the lumbar is adjustable. The whole seat is extremely firm, but the bottom doesn't bother me as bad as the back does. I think is has a lot to do with the leather because I sat in one that didn't have leather and the seats were a lot softer. Maybe they will soften up as the leather gets broken in.

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Yea, the lumbar is adjustable. The whole seat is extremely firm, but the bottom doesn't bother me as bad as the back does. I think is has a lot to do with the leather because I sat in one that didn't have leather and the seats were a lot softer. Maybe they will soften up as the leather gets broken in.

Another thing that just occurred to me, check your lumbar support settings, the switch is on the side of the seat and it may be that it's out all the way as that can make the seat feel more firm that it actually is.

Felnus
06-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Another thing that just occurred to me, check your lumbar support settings, the switch is on the side of the seat and it may be that it's out all the way as that can make the seat feel more firm that it actually is.

Way ahead of you...see two posts up. :)

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Way ahead of you...see two posts up. :)

LOL... Somehow I missed it! Oh well...

That said, I will agree, leather will make seats feel firmer than they actually may be as I have leather in my car, and now that you mention it, it could be why my seat feels quite firm, but this is an older car with 122K+ miles on it, but in very excellent shape.

sbulla
06-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I think I solved the hard seat problem. Went to bed bath and beyond and I picked up a small bath mat that has memory foam in it. It is very thin and the seat feels much better, they even had it in gray so it matches the interior pretty well. It's kind of rubbery on the back so it stays on the back of the seatthewave

Thanks everyone for your replies