PDA

View Full Version : Mustang GT driver wanted to play on the way to work this morning....

Abarthman
06-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Previous body style (about 10-15 years old), obviously modified V8 car.

He has 4 times the engine I have.

Up to 60, he pulled out a 5 foot lead on me.

He was very, very surprised that this little microcar was neck and neck with him, to say the least....

In an autocross, I would have beaten him by 4 fulls seconds (at least)...

FTY
06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
I've said it before and Ill say it again, half the joy of these cars is not that your are blowing past the big boys but the surprise to them that you are still there....still here :)

Little car with a Italian temper....

lagallinavecchia
06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, this sucker hangs pretty good with some of the older "fast" cars. I had a little old Mustang fun myself :)

dart1.4t
06-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah, this sucker hangs pretty good with some of the older "fast" cars. I had a little old Mustang fun myself :)

some of those old "fast cars" don't have any more horsepower. especisally from the 80's. 160-200hp was about as fast as cars got for a while. and that's in a 3000-3800lb car depending on the model. my dart would keep up with many 80's cars. the abarth is 800lbs lighter and would really smoke many cars that at one time were considered sports cars.

Abarth Phreak
06-29-2013, 12:57 AM
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday...but a rookie in an S2000. He had a passenger and dropped the hammer next to me to show he has big hangers. Black smoke at his tailpipe told the story. So the only thing I could do was - "Hammer Time"! I let him pull about 75 feet away...then heerreeee IIIII COMMEEEETH!!!

His passenger looked out the window as I was now at his side. Of course he was not running at the moment but I was there to say...Hello. He dropped the hammer again...but this time so did I. His passengers face was priceless as I stared straight in his eyes as we danced. He was going nowhere and was mad about it. The passenger was laughing...then I changed the ratio again..3rd gear pulled away from him. I eased off slowly to let him catch up and pass me again to get him to think he was fast. Then I smashed the ego again. This time I blew them a kiss and waived...ciao!

He got in a different lane and drove proper. My car is not fast, just faster than his...LOL. My Abarth loves to dance.

dart1.4t
06-29-2013, 01:07 AM
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday...but a rookie in an S2000. He had a passenger and dropped the hammer next to me to show he has big hangers. Black smoke at his tailpipe told the story. So the only thing I could do was - "Hammer Time"! I let him pull about 75 feet away...then heerreeee IIIII COMMEEEETH!!!

His passenger looked out the window as I was now at his side. Of course he was not running at the moment but I was there to say...Hello. He dropped the hammer again...but this time so did I. His passengers face was priceless as I stared straight in his eyes as we danced. He was going nowhere and was mad about it. The passenger was laughing...then I changed the ratio again..3rd gear pulled away from him. I eased off slowly to let him catch up and pass me again to get him to think he was fast. Then I smashed the ego again. This time I blew them a kiss and waived...ciao!

He got in a different lane and drove proper. My car is not fast, just faster than his...LOL. My Abarth loves to dance.

weird because an s2000 makes good power. but hondas don't run too good when they are beat. when you treat a honda like a performance car they turn into ****boxes pretty quick dumping black or blue smoke out the exhaust. there is also the fact that s2000s rev like a weed whacker. no torque. good power but not much under the curve while an abarth or dart makes within a few horsepower of peak for almost half the rev range.

Seafarer61
06-29-2013, 06:06 AM
The passenger was laughing...then I changed the ratio again..3rd gear pulled away from him. I eased off slowly to let him catch up and pass me again to get him to think he was fast. Then I smashed the ego again. This time I blew them a kiss and waived...ciao!

As a former owner of an S2000 and current owner of the obvious, your words made me chuckle but not for the reason you probably would want.

when you treat a honda like a performance car they turn into ****boxes pretty quick dumping black or blue smoke out the exhaust.

Equally as entertaining, again for the hilarity of it.

jguerdat
06-29-2013, 08:48 AM
^^ ;)

there is also the fact that s2000s rev like a weed whacker. no torque. good power but not much under the curve while an abarth or dart makes within a few horsepower of peak for almost half the rev range.

Check out the gear ratios. Torque at the engine is one thing, torque multiplication is another. Calculated peaks:

1st gear:
S2k - 2324 lb-ft Abarth - 2228 lb-ft
2nd gear:
S2k - 1517 lb-ft Abarth - 1275 lb-ft

Plus, the S2000 keeps on accelerating in gear while the Abarth has to shift. There used to be a great web page comparing two consecutive year Corvettes which had the same weight and gearing but different redlines and how the later model (higher redline) would beat the older one and why. Not finding it right now - damn.

Yes, there's a power peak when the S hits VTEC but the dynos on the Abarth seem to show a low-RPM spike. Both engines have pretty flat/consistent torque curves so it's not like one is flat while the other is all high RPM. The above numbers are based on the 2.0l engine - the 2.2l has more area under the curve.

Here's a 2.0l dyno (just use the lowest curve since they're testing an add-on):

http://advancedstreetperformance.com/img/dyno_S2000-oem-vs-asp.jpg

FTY
06-29-2013, 09:36 AM
As a former owner of an S2000 and current owner of the obvious, your words made me chuckle but not for the reason you probably would want.

Ill just bring the Volvo wagon(complete with childseat(no child of course) and FIAT parts in the back) out to put the s2000's in their place..:)

Abarth Phreak
06-29-2013, 11:14 AM

I don't want a thing....as my wifey had an S2000 briefly when we first met. It is a great true car and great fun. Just not tough enough for me to truly enjoy, maybe too pure. We traded it for an Acura to have a 4 door....lol.

Abarth Phreak
06-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Ill just bring the Volvo wagon(complete with childseat(no child of course) and FIAT parts in the back) out to put the s2000's in their place..:)

LOL@Chris...must have a "Baby on Board" sign posted too!

Now, Ill stop hijacking original OPs thread. :o

Andree
06-29-2013, 02:05 PM
^^ ;)

Check out the gear ratios. Torque at the engine is one thing, torque multiplication is another. Calculated peaks:

1st gear:
2nd gear:

Plus, the S2000 keeps on accelerating in gear while the Abarth has to shift. There used to be a great web page comparing two consecutive year Corvettes which had the same weight and gearing but different redlines and how the later model (higher redline) would beat the older one and why. Not finding it right now - damn.

Yes, there's a power peak when the S hits VTEC but the dynos on the Abarth seem to show a low-RPM spike. Both engines have pretty flat/consistent torque curves so it's not like one is flat while the other is all high RPM. The above numbers are based on the 2.0l engine - the 2.2l has more area under the curve.

Is this something like what you were looking for, re: Corvette Comparison:

Horsepower/Torque comparison LT1 Corvette and L98 Vettes
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/104/118/

dylansi
06-29-2013, 02:26 PM
as a former owner of an s2000 and current owner of the obvious, your words made me chuckle but not for the reason you probably would want.

^ i agree ^

jguerdat
06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Is this something like what you were looking for, re: Corvette Comparison:

Horsepower/Torque comparison LT1 Corvette and L98 Vettes
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/104/118/

It's close but not quite. Close enough for gov't work, though - thanks.

dart1.4t
06-30-2013, 02:57 AM
^^ ;)

1st gear:
2nd gear:

i hear what you are saying but we measure horsepower for a reason rather than just leaving it to torque(force). power is work/time. changes in speed can be converted to work so you can try to anylize torque at the wheels but that ls just a peak instantanious number and you have to match the mph of these points and convert torque to forward force by using the tire diameter and comapre that all with a ratio of the car weight (+driver) to make a comparision. without that you are comparing apple to oranges and even after all that you are only comparing one data point.

the abarth has an under sized turbo and a tune that gives it a midrange boost spike and a roll off as the engine accelerates, it regulates airflow rather than boost as a consequence of the turbo being too smalll to hold 18-21 lbs of boost to redline at reasonable temperatures. it doesn't have a flat torque curve, it has a flat power curve. the power curve on the honda goes up with rpm because it does have a flat toque curve. what that means is a s2000 will favor a lower gear at a certain mph but not favor an rpm in a certain gear. the abarth however with favor an rpm in a certain gear but will be forgiving of gear choice at a certain mph as long as the rpm is high enough for the turbo to work (2500rpm minimum)...

the physics of accelerating by wheels is a little weird because as your speed goes up the rate of work goes up which is different form rolling down hill or accelerating via rocket power. the speed gets compounded with the change in speed so as you go faster the power required to accelerate at a given rate increases. if the torque curve is flat and horizontal this loss of acceleration happens at the up shift. if the power curve is flat and horizontal the acceleration loss goes up with mph but on the upshift the engines torque increase at the next gear is the same as the change in gear ratio.

the abarth can hold a power under the curve number very close to the peak number if the shifts all put the next gear at 3000 rpm but the honda can not.

Dr. FIAT
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
I was sucker punched by a MazdaSpeed 3 today at a stoplight. I was stationary, he pulled up on my right side, but was back about 10 feet, so I couldn't see him. I think he was stalking my exhaust while I was purring away LOL. Anyway, I pulled out normally, and heard this massive sucking sound to my right, wheel hopping, and he was off like a rocket, and shot me the finger while pulling away. I knew that catching up to him and challenging him on a roll would have been a futile attempt ( he had 100 hp more), and I am also 46 years old....But I did feel like I got caught with my pants down. Oh well, saved some gas, and took some pride in my restraint...LOL.

Seafarer61
06-30-2013, 09:35 PM
There is something about the Abarth that annoys some of the immature owners out there. What kind of moron thinks he's cool because he out accelerates a car with 100 less horsepower? Good grief. The world is of no short supply of imbecilic road ninjas, that's for sure. I get revved on by at least 2-3 fart cans a week. People who want to go from point A to point B in the quickest way possible...preferably in a straight line...shouldn't be anywhere near a Fiat Studio. That isn't what this car is all about. Not even remotely. I live in a world where I see more Aston Martins each week than Fiats. There is always something rolling past me each week that is probably putting 450-600 horsepower to the tarmac but in most of those cases, the owners of these exotics usually give me a thumbs up. THEY get it. There is nothing inherently cool about a car whose bland styling emotes ambivalence, regardless of motor. A dozen Mazda 3's could roll past people on the road and drivers wouldn't blink an eye. Not so with the 500's. I see drivers on the road slowing down next to 'em to ride shotgun for a mile or two, taking them in. Fiats are eclectic.

http://www.tuningmag.net/images/news/carzone_fiat_500_18012008/Fiat-500-NEW-vs-OLD.jpg

Always have been...always will be. We aren't the quickest for sure...but few will arrive with more style and for me, that's more than enough. It was with my X19...it is with my Abarth.

More often than not...especially in areas with traps and cameras everywhere, it's not how quick you reach your destination, it's how cool you look getting there. coolgleam

http://roadroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/fiat-500-limo.jpg

Dr. FIAT
06-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Perfectly said! And I agree on all points. That limo is awesome!!! I love the feel of the red leather, and the smell...it's so obvious to all that look at my car that it is one classy vehicle. I love this car, period!!

dart1.4t
06-30-2013, 10:13 PM
We aren't the quickest for sure...but few will arrive with more style and for me, that's more than enough. It was with my X19...it is with my Abarth.

More often than not...especially in areas with traps and cameras everywhere, it's not how quick you reach your destination, it's how cool you look getting there. coolgleam

and you do look kinda cool in an x1/9. that car got a lot of attention for the months i had it before a mazda t-boned me at an intersection.

Chico Valdez
06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
...imbecilic road ninjas...
I call these 'street heroes'.
I used to dis the little heroes by not racing them. I'm not here to affirm or validate their little delusions.

For me, it's not how quickly the destination is reached, it's how fun it was getting there.

I think part of the appeal with the li'l Fiats is they're not pretentious.
That's a big :thumbsup: in my world.
(I'm surrounded by it. Stinks.)

BTW: That limo is the bomb! That would be soo fun for weddings... ThrashinSmiley

jguerdat
07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I got beat from a stoplight the other day by a Prius. I had no idea he was trying to get past me (the road narrowed from two to one lane a hundred yards or so after the light) and was in 3rd at about 30-35 mph when he went buzzing past me. Thought about taking him out but prolly couldn't have done it in the space available so I just let him go and laughed. The driver was approximately the same age as me, 63, maybe a bit younger.

I suspect his mileage went to hell... :D

DS Ocampo
07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Tired of the fart can ricers here in az... Always trying to prove a point.. What it is I don't know... The car is always beat up held by duct tape and zip ties , no hood, mis matched wheels, paint falling off and glass pack shattered killing everyone's ear..... But at the shows I goto while people just walk by their cars and talk crap they all stop at mine and look and look and look and take pictures of it and them by it..

Plus I haven't met a girl that hasn't liked it.. I get more attention in this than I did in my 65k custom build yamaha R1.. So I win in the end.. Save gas , look better, and get the girls woot woot!!

Abarthman
07-01-2013, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=Seafarer61;616636]There is something about the Abarth that annoys some of the immature owners out there. What kind of moron thinks he's cool because he out accelerates a car with 100 less horsepower? Good grief. The world is of no short supply of imbecilic road ninjas, that's for sure. I get revved on by at least 2-3 fart cans a week. People who want to go from point A to point B in the quickest way possible...preferably in a straight line...shouldn't be anywhere near a Fiat Studio. That isn't what this car is all about. Not even remotely. I live in a world where I see more Aston Martins each week than Fiats. There is always something rolling past me each week that is probably putting 450-600 horsepower to the tarmac but in most of those cases, the owners of these exotics usually give me a thumbs up. THEY get it. There is nothing inherently cool about a car whose bland styling emotes ambivalence, regardless of motor. A dozen Mazda 3's could roll past people on the road and drivers wouldn't blink an eye. Not so with the 500's. I see drivers on the road slowing down next to 'em to ride shotgun for a mile or two, taking them in. Fiats are eclectic.

Always have been...always will be. We aren't the quickest for sure...but few will arrive with more style and for me, that's more than enough. It was with my X19...it is with my Abarth.

Hey Seafarer,
I agree completely. But.....

My Abarth IS fast, and yes, GT3 and Aston drivers LOVE my car. I get TONS of 'thumbs up' from drivers of exotic machinery.

But the BEST was following the SC Ferrari club up the mountains to Highlands, NC.
Once we got to the restaurant, the 456 Italia driver I had followed got out of the car, and I told him, "Man, the exhaust sound alone was worth every penny you paid for that thing."
He smiled and responded "Thanks. You know, before we hit the mountains, I thought, "there's no way that little Fiat is gonna keep up with us in the mountains." But that little thing FLIES! It LOVES the corners, doesn't it? I'm VERY impressed!"
He spent all the next morning talking about how impressed he was with the Abarth....

Tony S
07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Abarthman, I think you have it right. I only have had mine a month but have fun driving it.. I love it. Its not the best car on the road or the fastest but its just fun to drive. I smile everytime I get in it.I am not bragging but I can also drive my 74 TVR with a sbf about 350 hp. or my Shelby Daytona coup replicar sbf about 425 hp.
All round the Abarth is more fun for the money.

dart1.4t
07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Abarthman, I think you have it right. I only have had mine a month but have fun driving it.. I love it. Its not the best car on the road or the fastest but its just fun to drive. I smile everytime I get in it.I am not bragging but I can also drive my 74 TVR with a sbf about 350 hp. or my Shelby Daytona coup replicar sbf about 425 hp.
All round the Abarth is more fun for the money.

nice you went with the daytona over the cobra. someday when i win the lotto i'll build one. but i may commit a sacrilege and put a turbo 4cyl in it, like the one of gm ecotec direct injected motors, or maybe a gm 4.3 v6 that i'd build myself since they accept most of the performance parts for a small block chevy. i'd love to have something that could compete with a muscle car on the strip, a super car on the track and then open the hood and have a nice little "eco" motor in there and a shelby would be a good starting point for that.

NORCAL SS
07-01-2013, 11:25 PM
abarthman if you were near me id line up up against my 6200 lb escalade.

Abarthman
07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
abarthman if you were near me id line up up against my 6200 lb escalade.

14.5 @ 97????
That's SERIOUSLY sick, man!

When people make offers like that, I always refer them to autocross or tight road courses, though.... Let me pic the race,and we'll do it for titles....LOL!

NORCAL SS
07-02-2013, 09:35 AM
My 60 foots are in the high 1.8s which is killer on it. basic mods also just intake/tune/gears.

James Hunt
07-02-2013, 09:45 AM
These Abarths are about as quick as a stock 1985 Omni GLH turbo. Wish I still had my 1987 Shelby GLHS that ran a 50 shot,What a fun car and a real sleeper too.

lagallinavecchia
07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
some of those old "fast cars" don't have any more horsepower. especisally from the 80's. 160-200hp was about as fast as cars got for a while. and that's in a 3000-3800lb car depending on the model. my dart would keep up with many 80's cars. the abarth is 800lbs lighter and would really smoke many cars that at one time were considered sports cars.

Thus the " " around the word fast. :D

lagallinavecchia
07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
65k custom build yamaha R1..

Pics please!

James Hunt
07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Got spanked bad :EEK:by a Focus ST today

djhace
07-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Got spanked bad :EEK:by a Focus ST today

driver error. lol. ;-)

James Hunt
07-02-2013, 03:31 PM
driver error. lol. ;-)

Nope just got outgunned.

No replacement for displacement.

James Hunt
07-02-2013, 03:49 PM
driver error. lol. ;-)

Ran the same Focus ST with my old 2009 JCW and killed him.

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Pics please!

One sec

DS Ocampo
07-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Custom built.. 3 engines built but this one held the 125 shot of NOS direct port from cold fusion custom made for it.. Had everything u could want on it.. 120 in first lol ..

davidjon_99
07-03-2013, 06:50 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Abarth Phreak
07-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Nope just got outgunned.

That's not what I heard....

...but you shoulda got on a street with cones placed closer together.:eagerness:

lagallinavecchia
07-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Custom built.. 3 engines built but this one held the 125 shot of NOS direct port from cold fusion custom made for it.. Had everything u could want on it.. 120 in first lol ..

Sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Abarthman
07-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Ran the same Focus ST with my old 2009 JCW and killed him.
Dude, you need to visit the aftermarket. I can outrun JCW Minis...

James Hunt
07-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Dude, you need to visit the aftermarket. I can outrun JCW Minis...

Sure you can. LOL!!!!!!!

If you have won a race against a jcw it was a old supercharged model with a horrible driver or a base Cooper with Jcw stickers.A stock Cooper S runs 14.70s and a stock abarth runs 15.10s.

My Jcw turbo would run high 12s after the mods, stock it ran 14 flat. There are only 2 Abarths in the usa that run quicker than a 14 flat ,Mine with every aftermarket part plus a 50hp shot of nitrous and the turbo swap car running e85 fuel.

trevc
07-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Only two that you know of......

Sure you can. LOL If you have won a race against a jcw it was a old supercharged model with a horrible driver.A stock Cooper S runs 14.70s and a stock abarth runs 15.10s.

My Jcw turbo would run high 12s after the mods, stock it ran 14 flat. There are only 2 Abarths in the usa that run quicker than a 14 flat ,Mine with every aftermarket part plus nitrous and a turbo swap car in Oklahoma running e85 fuel.

James Hunt
07-12-2013, 12:44 PM

I am talking 1/4 mile not 1/8th mile.

davidjon_99
07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
I am talking 1/4 mile not 1/8th mile.

You need to get out more.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6671-Anyone-been-to-a-dragstrip-yet/page2

James Hunt
07-12-2013, 12:48 PM
You need to get out more.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6671-Anyone-been-to-a-dragstrip-yet/page2

Quote Originally Posted by SpidArman View Post

Can you post your slips?

Thanks,

Arman
Here's the slip of the 14.1 pass. It's the car on the left on the slip obviously.

14.1 IS NOT 14 FLAT.

davidjon_99
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SpidArman View Post

Can you post your slips?

Thanks,

Nope, I'm perfectly happy with my 15 + second Abarth. Just wanted to make sure other forum members are well informed.

Oh, and a few more pages into the thread you'll find this:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6671-Anyone-been-to-a-dragstrip-yet/page8

No slips, just video.

James Hunt
07-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I have seen the vid. My car will run a 13.80 because I only spray in 4th gear,soon will run some drag radials and spray in 3rd and 4th just need a extra set of 17s to mount them on.(car came with 16s and the wilwoods will not clear them)

musicsurf
07-12-2013, 01:30 PM
+1

James Hunt
07-12-2013, 01:32 PM
+1

Meet you at Speedworld for a match race. Best 2 out of 3?

musicsurf
07-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Why would I want to race you? I'm not saying my car is that fast because it's not. I just think you made a lofty assumption in that you think you are one of two cars running 14 or sub 14 second runs, like everyone is posting everything regarding their car on forums (or that you know all that goes on with US Fiats). Are you a playground bully? I agree with what someone says and you want to meet me at the track so you can assert your dominance?

Mr. Man
07-12-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm installing a Rolls-Royce gas turbine into the Abarth. All your race are belong to me :burnout:

James Hunt
07-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Why would I want to race you? I'm not saying my car is that fast because it's not. I just think you made a lofty assumption in that you think you are one of two cars running 14 or sub 14 second runs, like everyone is posting everything regarding their car on forums (or that you know all that goes on with US Fiats). Are you a playground bully? I agree with what someone says and you want to meet me at the track so you can assert your dominance?

Not a playground bully just well connected with Chrysler/Fiat and know what has been done with these cars and who has done it.

dart1.4t
07-13-2013, 05:28 AM
you can't possibly think that you area the only one running nitrous and can dip below 14.0.... even if that's true you just exemplifed that yes an abarth with aftermarket parts can out run a jcw mini. so why the arguements? now you are not even arguing with the guy that said he out runs jcw minis. just a guy defending the fact that there are fast abarths out there.

jguerdat
07-13-2013, 07:41 AM
I just wanna know who really thinks this is a drag car? I sure don't...

musicsurf
07-13-2013, 08:46 AM
I whole-heartedly agree.

I just wanna know who really thinks this is a drag car? I sure don't...

sjmst
07-13-2013, 08:50 AM
The Abarths can blow away 80's Ferraris.

But then, so can a 2000's minivan. :smug:

dart1.4t
07-13-2013, 11:03 AM
The Abarths can blow away 80's Ferraris.

But then, so can a 2000's minivan. :smug:

or an 80's minivan with a turbo... gotta love those dodge 2.2l turbo engines that were available in everything...

Jono
07-14-2013, 12:54 AM
[QUOTE=jguerdat;618547]I just wanna know who really thinks this is a drag car?

I agree, it's a car to have great fun with on the twistiies, just like the Alfasud, Golf GTi and the 205 GTI, with the ability to explore the limits on public roads safely (most of the time)!

DS Ocampo
07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
When everyone complains about mustangs and other stuff I deal with people that have way too much money. Check out YouTube Scottsdale pavilions car show..

And this ricer lol

http://youtu.be/9BQ0Joeh5w0