PDA

View Full Version : Audible Pedestrian Warning System?

cdeforrest
06-28-2013, 03:44 AM
Is this standard? Did it actually make it to production?
I nearly was run over multiple times by my fellow 500e test-drivers, to the point that we joked that something like this was needed...oblivious of the fact that it's actually on the spec sheet. Well, I can tell you I didn't hear anything. I also don't recall reading anything about this in any of the reviews, either
What are the sounds it's supposed to make? Our suggestions were 'Ferrari' or 'Laser Gun'

--
Audible Pedestrian Warning System

The FIAT® 500e has a new audible pedestrian warning system that uses distinctive sounds to help ensure the safety and security of other road users. The warning system is automatically activated when selecting Drive or Reverse. In Drive range, at approximately 22 mph the warning is silenced until the vehicle speed returns to approximately 20 mph. The audible warning system uses an in-car sound synthesizer with a speaker located in the engine compartment.

georges
06-29-2013, 06:57 AM
They say the cars will have it. It's not on the window sticker.
It's not a law that EVs will need the sounds, it's just a proposal by
the NTSA.
The 500e sound should be an Abarth exhaust note!

danny_1
06-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Wait...have you test-driven the 500e?

cdeforrest
07-02-2013, 04:24 AM
Wait...have you test-driven the 500e?

Yes. Last week at a "Fiat Test Drive Tour" event. They're visiting 30 company campuses around California offering (short) test drives. Honestly, that's how I found out that the 500e actually existed. I wish I could point you to a website with their schedule, but I just happened to find out about it through my employer. See: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/eaasv/message/2534

Last weekend Fiat was also at Laguna Seca Raceway for the Refuel electric vehicle races, doing test drives (not on the track, I'm sure..)

My local dealer, on the other hand, has no idea when they'll be getting cars in. "Maybe a month" was the best they could tell me.

georges
07-03-2013, 02:40 AM
I signed up for the Refuel track day and time trial but since Fiat hasn't released the car yet I couldn't go. Good to hear they were there. I test drove a Chevy Spark and would have leased it but the charge time of 7 hrs is just too much, plus the Fiat looks better. The spark flies though and has go kart steering, but I bet the Fiat handles better.
Last I heard on the 500e was the middle of July. (before that though it was June 3rd then middle of June , etc...)

danny_1
07-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Yes. Last week at a "Fiat Test Drive Tour" event. They're visiting 30 company campuses around California offering (short) test drives. Honestly, that's how I found out that the 500e actually existed. I wish I could point you to a website with their schedule, but I just happened to find out about it through my employer. See: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/eaasv/message/2534

Last weekend Fiat was also at Laguna Seca Raceway for the Refuel electric vehicle races, doing test drives (not on the track, I'm sure..)

My local dealer, on the other hand, has no idea when they'll be getting cars in. "Maybe a month" was the best they could tell me.

I didn't even know they were doing that. Thanks for letting us know in this forum. You have sort of made me nervous about the audible at low speeds. I almost walked in front of an electric the other day cuz I never heard it..

Andree
07-10-2013, 11:54 PM
I didn't even know they were doing that. Thanks for letting us know in this forum. You have sort of made me nervous about the audible at low speeds. I almost walked in front of an electric the other day cuz I never heard it..

This came in the 500e newsletter from Fiat:

"• Audible Pedestrian Warning System, which is activated in Drive or Reverse. It uses distinctive sounds to help alert pedestrians near your vehicle"

They still don't tell us what it sounds like though.

There is an entire comedy movie here that could be partially worked around electric car sounds. Part of an ongoing gag in the movie, where the sounds and the reactions to the sounds add hilarity.

Trumpeting elephants. Screeching tires. Baby crying. Various cartoon sounds like "boing" and "zing".

I need the ZAZ men.
Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker