PDA

View Full Version : Building the 500L.

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Spent some time tonight poking around the build it portion of the US site for the 500L.

I'm kind of disappointed in how they've bundled several of the options and force us to not get the town tone paint if we want the sunroof, or to force us to the 6.5" head unit with Beats and Sat radio when we may not want that. And besides, it's looking like the larger HU does not include a CD player for those of us who want to play them on occasion.

The smaller 5" unit will include it as part of the head unit. At least through the configurator.

Just to get a spare tire, you have to remove other options for it, WTF?

Please automakers, please don't bundle so much stuff together and allow us more freedom to custom build our cars. Now, I'm sure that if you went through the dealer, they may have more leeway in such decisions, but I don't know for sure.

As it is now, I'd like to just get either the Easy, or the Trekking with the 5" unit, premium speakers, but not Dr Dre beats, sunroof with black top and a manual, is that too much to ask?

I would also like the red available on the Trekking so I can go between either the yellow, or the Rosso. As it is now, even on the Easy, only the red appeals to me at this time. I dislike much of the other colors available, too dark, too somber, and I'd like to see more fun colors be available on this model, a family car, or no.

n00dle
06-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Definitely not pleased with the bundle packaging and noticed the same thing and was disappointed when trying to see what I had to do to get fog lights.

Andree
06-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Same thing if you played around on the Edmunds price/options area. And there are mistakes on the 500L configurator too. There are ALWAYS mistakes, I swear...

So, you want dark gray/beige seats? Alert! Remember that you'll get the beige instrument panel

Until you actually select the beige seats and are told that you'll now get the gray instrument panel

And you just lost your exterior white color, got light blue instead.

It's like a big joke configurator.

Andree
06-28-2013, 01:36 AM
Definitely not pleased with the bundle packaging and noticed the same thing and was disappointed when trying to see what I had to do to get fog lights.

If you want fog lights, you have to order a commercial cargo van from Italy, but it comes in pieces, with several compact spare tires.

Andree
06-28-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm kind of disappointed in how they've bundled several of the options and force us to not get the town tone paint if we want the sunroof, or to force us to the 6.5" head unit with Beats and Sat radio when we may not want that. And besides, it's looking like the larger HU does not include a CD player for those of us who want to play them on occasion.

I think the larger unit includes Tetris, Space Invaders, Pac Man, and Etch-a-sketch.

MadSetter
06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
And forcing Beats/Sirius with a white or black roof? C'mon now. My dealer said they have a yellow Trekking with a white roof on its way w/ NO Beats. Now they're second guessing (and trying to verify) based on what I told them about Edmunds and the Fiat sites. And what if I want a yellow dashboard?

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
The Easy I test drove last weekend was red with white top, though no sunroof, had the 5" HU, but with Beats audio, and the automatic - and it had the ParkView backup camera, and perhaps the Sat-Nav.

I have heard that some of the UConnect HU's (both Chrysler/Fiat) can get features such as Sat Nav activated after the fact when you buy the car, and I would assume the same for parkview. It's just an option that is available, but not activated in all cars, unless you want it.

Andree
06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
The Easy I test drove last weekend was red with white top, though no sunroof, had the 5" HU, but with Beats audio, and the automatic - and it had the ParkView backup camera, and perhaps the Sat-Nav.

I have heard that some of the UConnect HU's (both Chrysler/Fiat) can get features such as Sat Nav activated after the fact when you buy the car, and I would assume the same for parkview. It's just an option that is available, but not activated in all cars, unless you want it.

Are you sure it was an Easy? Because ALL the cars are supposed to come with the Premium bump-up except Pops.

Edit: You went to Kirkland? They show two red with white roofs, one with a sunroof, so the other one is this one:
http://www.fiatofkirkland.com/2014-FIAT-500L-Easy-Kirkland-WA/vd/15458571

It has the larger screen. Easy to tell, the larger screen has the dials/buttons in each lower corner, the smaller screen has the dials/buttons on the SIDES of the screen:

Larger:

Smaller

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Are you sure it was an Easy? Because ALL the cars are supposed to come with the Premium bump-up except Pops.

Edit: You went to Kirkland? They show two red with white roofs, one with a sunroof, so the other one is this one:

It has the larger screen. Easy to tell, the larger screen has the dials/buttons in each lower corner, the smaller screen has the dials/buttons on the SIDES of the screen:

Larger:

Smaller

Nope, it's the Easy as it didn't have the painted dash, and the Pop does not get the two toned paint treatment

All Fiats get the 5" HU as standard, though for this year, as a no cost option they get an upgraded unit with parkView and nav and Beats audio, except for the Pop.

Andree
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Nope, it's the Easy as it didn't have the painted dash, and the Pop does not get the two toned paint treatment

All Fiats get the 5" HU as standard, though for this year, as a no cost option they get an upgraded unit with parkView and nav and Beats audio, except for the Pop.

The 5" unit is the SMALLER unit, and you'll only find it on the Pop this year, as shown in the picture. The LARGER version is 6.5" as shown in the picture of the Easy that you probably test drove if you went to Kirkland.

If you test drove an Easy, you test drove one with the LARGER unit of 6.5"

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 02:32 PM
The 5" unit is the SMALLER unit, and you'll only find it on the Pop this year, as shown in the picture. The LARGER version is 6.5" as shown in the picture of the Easy that you probably test drove if you went to Kirkland.

If you test drove an Easy, you test drove one with the LARGER unit of 6.5"

I'm dead certain it WAS the Easy. I'm pretty sure I saw the CD slot just above the screen for I spotted the LED markings for it (so you can see it at night).

It did have ParkView, I believe nav, and it did have the Beats audio as both HU's have those features available to them.

Andree
06-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm dead certain it WAS the Easy. I'm pretty sure I saw the CD slot just above the screen for I spotted the LED markings for it (so you can see it at night).

It did have ParkView, I believe nav, and it did have the Beats audio as both HU's have those features available to them.

Are we sure that the 5.0 "slot" is for CDs?

From the Fiat site:
Multimedia

Uconnect (R) 5.0 AM/FM/BT
6 Speakers
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
Media Hub (USB, Aux)
Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth (R)

Says NOTHING about a CD. (info from build configurator, Pop model)

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Are we sure that the 5.0 "slot" is for CDs?

From the Fiat site:
Multimedia

Uconnect (R) 5.0 AM/FM/BT
6 Speakers
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
Media Hub (USB, Aux)
Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth (R)

Says NOTHING about a CD. (info from build configurator, Pop model)

Andree,

Go here http://blog.fiatusa.com/vehicles/uconnect-makes-its-fiat-debut/

And it says the 5" model does get the CD slot. I'm positive what I saw was just that. If you've ever had a CD player in your vehicle, you'd know what it looks like. Also, go to your photos from up this thread and look at the Pop photo. That slot above the screen, that's the CD slot.

Anyone from Fiat can care to verify any of this?

Andree
06-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Andree,

Go here http://blog.fiatusa.com/vehicles/uconnect-makes-its-fiat-debut/

And it says the 5" model does get the CD slot. I'm positive what I saw was just that. If you've ever had a CD player in your vehicle, you'd know what it looks like. Also, go to your photos from up this thread and look at the Pop photo. That slot above the screen, that's the CD slot.

Anyone from Fiat can care to verify any of this?

The thing that I am questioning is if the Easy you drove actually came with the 5" screen. I question it because ALL 2014 Easy, Lounge, and Trekking are supposed to come with the free Premium upgrade, which includes the 6.5" screen.

Using the configurator, it defaults to the free Premier Package. If you try to unselect the free Premier Package, it tells you, you MUST select either the free Premier Package, or the Popular Equipment Group. If you select the Popular Equipment Group, you also must select the Premier Package Plus Beats.

There appears to be NO WAY to select the 5" screen at all on the Easy.

Which means the only vehicle to get the CD player is on the Pop model.

Yes, I have seen a CD slot, I have one in my 500. LOL

Andree
06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
This is for the Pop on the Fiat configurator, and yes, it does mention the CD in this area, but did NOT mention it in the area I copied and pasted:

Edit, here's the compare page, shows only the Pop gets the 5" and CD:
http://www.fiatusa.com/hostc/bmo/CUX201405/compareModels.do

Fiat500USA
06-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I was told the cars do not come with a CD player - just media inputs.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7SUr8ADERUY/Uc38QcMo1HI/AAAAAAAARmQ/167N5_TUR1k/s800/Fiat500USA.com-500L%2520Drive%2520174.JPG

Felnus
06-28-2013, 05:23 PM
CD players...they are so...20th century.

Fiat500USA
06-28-2013, 05:32 PM
CD players...they are so...20th century.

I spent the day in the car and didn't notice the car didn't have a CD player! I found out later over the course of cocktails. Man, I feel old!

Felnus
06-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I've used the one in my 500 twice since September '11 and one of those times was when a friend had something he wanted me to listen to. Otherwise, it is the Sirius or I have a 16GB usb drive with all of the CDs I own ripped to MP3s on it.

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 08:56 PM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7SUr8ADERUY/Uc38QcMo1HI/AAAAAAAARmQ/167N5_TUR1k/s800/Fiat500USA.com-500L%2520Drive%2520174.JPG

Chris, that looks to be the 6.5" model, and I know those don't get the CD slot.

Here is an image I snagged from the web of a Pop with 5" model. 6857 Notice the slot just above the screen.

This is available as standard in all models, and you can then upgrade to the 6.5, at least once the 6.5 added for free is over, unless they allow people to stick with the 5" now instead.

Felnus
06-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Chris, that looks to be the 6.5" model, and I know those don't get the CD slot.

Here is an image I snagged from the web of a Pop with 5" model. 6857 Notice the slot just above the screen.

This is available as standard in all models, and you can then upgrade to the 6.5, at least once the 6.5 added for free is over, unless they allow people to stick with the 5" now instead.

Call me crazy, but that looks like the same radio. The CD slot is just a bit harder to see in Chris' pic.

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Call me crazy, but that looks like the same radio. The CD slot is just a bit harder to see in Chris' pic.

Nope, a second look had me realizing I'd grabbed the prototype design dash, which is much like the production cars now on sale. 6858 Here is a closeup of another dash shot whereby I lightened the shadows to reveal the slot better and resized it up just a little to 600 0n the widest side for easier viewing.

Fiat500USA
06-28-2013, 09:28 PM

I enlarged the photo and I see a slot! Now I am confused. Maybe it was the champagne?!

ciddyguy
06-28-2013, 09:36 PM
I enlarged the photo and I see a slot! Now I am confused. Maybe it was the champagne?!

Mind you Chris, that is the 5" model, it appears the 6.5 does not have it.

This is why I bring all this up as I'd like to have that choice when I decide to grab some CD's not ripped to play since I don't normally play them in the car at the last minute if I chose to.

BTW, when you get a chance, I test drove this car, and put up a report about it last weekend and liked it. :-)

Andree
06-29-2013, 01:58 AM
And you don't get free Beats. I think it's Canada that gets free Beats.

Andree
06-29-2013, 02:13 AM

You were in a Pop. A Pop gets the 5 inch screen. It has knobs on the sides of the screen. Compare knobs:

Aw, come on, the picture is incredibly dinky and I just deleted some more of the attachments. Says I'm using 87.4 KB for 7 attachments. Can't even SEE the knobs. :(

Fiat500USA
06-29-2013, 10:21 AM
You were in a Pop. A Pop gets the 5 inch screen. It has knobs on the sides of the screen. Compare knobs:

Aw, come on, the picture is incredibly dinky and I just deleted some more of the attachments. Says I'm using 87.4 KB for 7 attachments. Can't even SEE the knobs. :(

Yep, I knew that. However, I didn't see the slot above it in my image until I blew it up.

For bigger pics, sign up for Picasa (https://picasaweb.google.com/) and just upload to them, and then post the link. It is easy, free and everyone see the larger images. Check out Tweaks tutorial (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10395-How-to-post-pics-videos-on-the-forum). Let us know if anyone has questions on how to do it.

ciddyguy
06-29-2013, 11:38 AM

Larger:

Smaller

Andree,

The one I saw had the white roof, no sunroof, and was red. I'm going up there today, and a perusal of their site revealed a bunch of red Easy's, one of which is the white with SUNROOF, so I think the configurator may be incorrect on that, so if that's the case, then we CAN get the two toned paint with the glass roof. That car does show a CD slot, I think, hard to tell even when I dump it into Photoshop to blow up, and looks to be the larger screen HU, but will have to check. One thing I've found is that Fiat's info can get quite confusing since the info looks to vary from location to location, and even the owner's manual can be different from other sources, such as online.

Remember, these are production cars I'm looking at, not preproduction models, so all of this will have been set in stone before the began to build them. Also, if you've EVER been near one, or seen one in the flesh, that's one thing, but to use the internet to get your info, and across countries, the info will change considerably from source, to source. Actually see them in the wild is best.

Andree
06-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Andree,

The one I saw had the white roof, no sunroof, and was red. I'm going up there today, and a perusal of their site revealed a bunch of red Easy's, one of which is the white with SUNROOF, so I think the configurator may be incorrect on that, so if that's the case, then we CAN get the two toned paint with the glass roof. That car does show a CD slot, I think, hard to tell even when I dump it into Photoshop to blow up, and looks to be the larger screen HU, but will have to check. One thing I've found is that Fiat's info can get quite confusing since the info looks to vary from location to location, and even the owner's manual can be different from other sources, such as online.

Remember, these are production cars I'm looking at, not preproduction models, so all of this will have been set in stone before the began to build them. Also, if you've EVER been near one, or seen one in the flesh, that's one thing, but to use the internet to get your info, and across countries, the info will change considerably from source, to source. Actually see them in the wild is best.

I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore. I sent you a direct link to a red Easy, white top, no sunroof, at Kirkland. It has Lounge (or optional) wheels.

You don't need to blow anything up, just look at the knobs, as I've posted repeatedly.

The pictures I was using are directly from dealer website photos of actual cars.

And apparently I'm being penalized with tiny pics because I'm not using an outside source for image hosting.

The Fiat site is full of errors.

Fiat500USA
06-29-2013, 02:14 PM
And apparently I'm being penalized with tiny pics because I'm not using an outside source for image hosting.

Please don't be upset. No one is being penalized, just trying to help so you can post larger images for us to all enjoy. I have set the limits larger than vBulletin defaults here, but there is only so much bandwidth available.

Andree
06-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Please don't be upset. No one is being penalized, just trying to help so you can post larger images for us to all enjoy. I have set the limits larger than vBulletin defaults here, but there is only so much bandwidth available.

I deleted all but 7 photos, and still had tiny pics. So I deleted the rest of them.

I understand there is only so much bandwidth. Are you saying that the site is still "loading" the images that I have deleted? They aren't visible, and I've deleted them, so they shouldn't be loading at all.

That way I can post spontaneously, and delete the images after the people I made them for have seen them. But I'm kind of slow at that.

This is what my Account/Settings for this site shows currently:

List of Attachments
You have no attachments.

I'm not using ANY extra bandwidth for photos. Is this system counting pictures I'd put up and deleted against me?

Tweak
06-29-2013, 11:52 PM

Does this help?
http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery/public/fiat-500l-4_0.jpg

It is the UK version but for the most part it looks the same(ish). :D

ciddyguy
06-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Does this help?
http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery/public/fiat-500l-4_0.jpg

Ah, now that you mention it, you may be right! I hadn't noticed the different buttons below the radio itself, and after playing with the US 6.5, it is different in the screen interface as well. The track advance buttons are at the bottom of the screen.

Andree
06-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Does this help?

No. It was the size of the picture that *I* had posted that I complained about. The image ended up being about as tall as the letters I'm typing, and no longer than than the words that replaced the image, "Attachment 6859"

The disparity between the image sizes made me sad.

But thanks for the effort!

Tweak
06-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Worth a shot! :)