PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal

purl1
06-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Im not sure why I was looking at the wheels on my way out the door to work but I did, this morning I checked and I noticed rust on the round thing inside the wheels (if you look at the wheel directly you see a round metal thing , maybe the break :dunno: ) we had a brief downpour/thunder storm last night, I noticed what looked like rust splotches on that round metal part. I drove to work, checked out other peoples cars and they did not have rust splotches, then I checked my car and they dissapeared. weird, I know they where there on all 4 wheels. Is this something to be concerned about? something that needs to be replaced? if this is the breaks will it hinder the way the car works. The car is only a year old with 15K miles on it.

Andree
06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
That's your rotor for the brakes. It'll rust fast and the rust is cleared away when the brakes are used.

Yahoo answers:

"Rust on rotors is normal when they become wet. Even if you wash your car you will notice rust on rotors appear quickly. This is normal and it comes off with the use of the brakes when driving. This is normal for rotors on any vehicle. AS to cleaning they will clean themselves when you drive and do not coat them in anything as braking efficiency will be decreased and could cause accidents."

From: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081225215322AA5ZG9L

Quick brake youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgbDyJhBb4c

SailDesign
06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Im not sure why I was looking at the wheels on my way out the door to work but I did, this morning I checked and I noticed rust on the round thing inside the wheels (if you look at the wheel directly you see a round metal thing , maybe the break :dunno: ) we had a brief downpour/thunder storm last night, I noticed what looked like rust splotches on that round metal part. I drove to work, checked out other peoples cars and they did not have rust splotches, then I checked my car and they dissapeared. weird, I know they where there on all 4 wheels. Is this something to be concerned about? something that needs to be replaced? if this is the breaks will it hinder the way the car works. The car is only a year old with 15K miles on it.

It is rust on the brake (not "break" - bad karma to spell it that way) rotors. They are cast iron, and will rust, but even slight use rubs it off. Entirely normal, and nothing to worry about. Te first hit of the pedal in the morning might sound rough, but that's just the rust being removed.

purl1
06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Thank you! yes totally my bad on the spelling

SailDesign
06-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Thank you! yes totally my bad on the spelling

I try not to be The Spelling Bore, but spelling anything on a car "break" just seems to be tempting Fate... :smile :