PDA

View Full Version : 500e sold out.

Andree
06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
"Orders for Fiat’s electrified 500 subcompact, available for retail only in California, have reached full capacity, a top executive says.

“We’re pretty much sold out for the year,” Jason Stoicevich, president and CEO of the Fiat brand in North America..."

http://wardsauto.com/north-america/fiat-500e-sold-out

While I've waiting for more info on when it would be reaching dealers, the car sold out. LOL! Gee whiz! Wow! And whoa!

Also says Gucci models sold out.

Ryephile
06-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow! I'm not sure if that means the exec's are happy they've already filled the CARB requirements, or if they'd be willing to make more and distribute them to other metros? I'd prefer the latter.

Andree
06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Wow! I'm not sure if that means the exec's are happy they've already filled the CARB requirements, or if they'd be willing to make more and distribute them to other metros? I'd prefer the latter.

Frankly, I don't think they were prepared for this level of success.

Strike while the iron is hot, I say. Get those 500es out to the rest of the US.

2Cool
06-25-2013, 03:20 PM
If I could get a similar deal as CA peeps I would be happy to add one to my garage as a dailie commuter. Best looking e-car out to date.

Robert Nixon
06-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Glad they sold, which means there is demand and good awareness of the 500e. I'm not a business guy, but from what I read all car makers HAVE to sell X amount of electric vehicles in CA to be allowed to sell ANY cars in CA. With the 500e, I guess Fiat and Chrysler (and Dodge, Ram, etc.) have now met their goal so corporate buisness wise they are very happy. If as they say they lose money on ever 500e sold, then I wouldn't be holding my breath looking for more cars even if the demand is there.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it!

500ways
06-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Glad they sold, which means there is demand and good awareness of the 500e. I'm not a business guy, but from what I read all car makers HAVE to sell X amount of electric vehicles in CA to be allowed to sell ANY cars in CA. With the 500e, I guess Fiat and Chrysler (and Dodge, Ram, etc.) have now met their goal so corporate buisness wise they are very happy. If as they say they lose money on ever 500e sold, then I wouldn't be holding my breath looking for more cars even if the demand is there.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Remember, higher demand drives up prices because of low supply. How high? The market determines that threshold.

As a result, higher prices will reduce the loss per unit sold.

Andree
06-25-2013, 04:49 PM
By "sold out" I'm meaning that the dealers cannot place any additional orders. That means the cars are going to dealers, but may not have been sold to customers yet. Same with the Gucci model.

They planned on making "x" number of the cars, and the dealers ordered all of them. They won't make any more this year.

So whatever a dealer has right now, or will be getting in is all there is. Folks who put down deposits or are on waiting lists may not have as much choice in the 500e selection as they'd hoped.

I'd just seen a blurb on one of the dealer sites to "order yours now" for the 500e. I guess now it will be to choose from what is coming in if it isn't already spoken for, or hope that the first person in line doesn't get it. However they're working this.

Andree
06-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Remember, higher demand drives up prices because of low supply. How high? The market determines that threshold.

As a result, higher prices will reduce the loss per unit sold.

Shhhhhh. Don't give dealers any ideas.

And additional profit at dealer level doesn't go back to Fiat.

fiat500e
06-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Isn't it time FIAT make more 500e thus reduce the loss per unit and also win some more customers?

Andree
06-26-2013, 11:28 PM
You'd still lose per unit. And, remember, the California dealers have to add some expensive equipment and charging stations to their dealerships. So it's not something they could ship out overnight.

If they have the capacity to make x number of cars and that number has been reaching via orders from dealerships, that's it. For now.

So for the next batch of 500es, there are a few ways of doing it. One is to pick another state, as was done with California. But there may not be the same incentives on buying an electric car, meaning people will be paying the 32K (which is at a loss to Fiat).

Another scenario would be to pick and choose dealerships in selected metropolitan areas to carry the 500e along with the required additional expenditure of the dealership for equipment, charging stations, and employee training, etc.

Remember, one of the promises that comes with the 500e in California is the rental car deal. I don't know if that would/could be offered in all areas. Depends on if there is a rental car company of the same kind in that area.

So there might only be one big volume store in a state carrying the 500e in the middle of a metro area that already has some charging stations set up.

As the vehicles sell or are leased, and they continue to become even more popular, additional dealerships could be added on to the list of those who would carry the 500e.

georges
06-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Hi everyone.

This seems to be the most correct statement.

By "sold out" I'm meaning that the dealers cannot place any additional orders. That means the cars are going to dealers, but may not have been sold to customers yet.

The 500e is in transit to dealers, I don't think any have actually been sold yet. My local dealer says the middle of July.
At the beginning of June another local dealer showed me his list of seven 500e's he ordered.
No So Cal dealer shows any on their lots.

Andree
06-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi everyone.

This seems to be the most correct statement.

The 500e is in transit to dealers, I don't think any have actually been sold yet. My local dealer says the middle of July.
At the beginning of June another local dealer showed me his list of seven 500e's he ordered.
No So Cal dealer shows any on their lots.

Right! The article makes it somewhat clear that this is the case, but folks will often just see the headline and assign their own meaning to "sold out".

There ARE waiting lists for the 500e, as reported in another article, and some dealerships DID stop taking names for the cars because they didn't think they would get enough to fulfill all the customer orders.

Yesterday I got the official Fiat email for the 500e, suggesting I check it out. Seems a little late considering the other stories/articles, but I'd guess there will be a few up for grabs here and there.

From my own experience car shopping online last year, it all depends on the area. Some dealers had cars that were sold out elsewhere, and couldn't give them away. Colors or models would just sit in one area, while flying off the lot in high demand in other areas.

SoCal has a lot of dealers, but there is also a lot of competition, as it's a heavily populated area.

This map shows some of the California Fiat dealers (The Fiat site has NOTHING like this, they jumble all their dealers together with the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram Trucks dealers): http://www.dealerrater.com/directory/California/Fiat/

Three outliers, Bakersfield, Fresno, Sacramento. If it turns out you can't find one with all the dealers in your area, you might try those three. They're kind of isolated, and if the 500e doesn't sell out to customers right away, there's a good chance the cars will just SIT at those locations. Sacramento was one of the places I looked at cars online and chatted on the phone.

Obvs, you'd need to have the car shipped from those locations, but it might be worth it if you can't find one, or can't find the one you want right away.

Kees
06-28-2013, 03:34 PM
That map is incomplete. It doesn't show the Berkeley dealer where I'm on the waiting list.

Andree
06-28-2013, 04:47 PM
That map is incomplete. It doesn't show the Berkeley dealer where I'm on the waiting list.

I know. That's why I said "shows some of the...".

Here's the official US Fiat directory:
http://www.fiatusa.com/hostc/bdl/states.do

And here it is for California:
http://www.fiatusa.com/hostc/bdl/cities.do?stateCode=CA&state=California

The cities are listed. No map. Does it mean there is a Fiat dealer in every one of those cities? Nope. It means there is some Chrysler product in the listed city. Which may or may not include Fiat. Alhambra has no Fiat. Anaheim has no Fiat. Etc.

I found it easier to shop via the DealerRater site, that would include JUST Fiat dealers, even if it didn't have all the dealers, than trying to get through all the cities listed on the Fiat site that gave me more results than just Fiat.

P.S. I got my car from Berkeley! I like their women's bathroom. It was interesting. It has this bright red I-beam, that I'm sure is structural, but looks like an odd decorative element. Plus the light that went up the wall and across the ceiling. It's trippy.

Fiat500USA
06-28-2013, 07:19 PM
"Orders for Fiat’s electrified 500 subcompact, available for retail only in California, have reached full capacity, a top executive says.

“We’re pretty much sold out for the year,” Jason Stoicevich, president and CEO of the Fiat brand in North America..."

http://wardsauto.com/north-america/fiat-500e-sold-out

While I've waiting for more info on when it would be reaching dealers, the car sold out. LOL! Gee whiz! Wow! And whoa!

Also says Gucci models sold out.

I was told about the 500e also a few weeks back. As far as the discussions I have had, I think it was a pleasant surprise and a little bit of a dilemma for them. As far as I know, the Gucci is not sold out.

Tweak
06-28-2013, 09:09 PM

Welcome to the forum Kees.

Andree
06-28-2013, 09:30 PM
I was told about the 500e also a few weeks back. As far as the discussions I have had, I think it was a pleasant surprise and a little bit of a dilemma for them. As far as I know, the Gucci is not sold out.

You knew that they had reached full capacity a few weeks ago? Really? Was that about the time the stories about dealers had stopped taking names for a waiting list?

So, any hints about THE NEXT STEP? Will they make a bunch more for next year? Or be able to add more for this year?

Fiat500USA
06-28-2013, 09:46 PM
You knew that they had reached full capacity a few weeks ago? Really? Was that about the time the stories about dealers had stopped taking names for a waiting list?

So, any hints about THE NEXT STEP? Will they make a bunch more for next year? Or be able to add more for this year?

I am on the east coast, so don't know about the waiting list time frame. As far as the next step, no hints at the moment. ;)