PDA

View Full Version : ESC malfunction light

rallyesports
06-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Just notices my 13 Abarth's ESC malfunction light blinks on when I luanch the car hard from a stop shifting from 1st into 2nd, it blinks for a couple seconds and then gone, anyone have this experince? Is this normal? I alway have the ESC on, not messing with anything.

BigT
06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't think it coming on is malfunction unless you have ESC turned off and the light is coming on during this scenario. I think if you have ESC on or partially on and you launch or hard shift from 1st to 2nd and the tires break loose it will come on. The first time I tried launching the car and thought I had it turned off mine did this. But I could be wrong just my .02

rallyesports
06-25-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't think it coming on is malfunction unless you have ESC turned off and the light is coming on during this scenario. I think if you have ESC on or partially on and you launch or hard shift from 1st to 2nd and the tires break loose it will come on. The first time I tried launching the car and thought I had it turned off mine did this. But I could be wrong just my .02

Yes I did launched it hard with ESC on, it did had a bit wheel span when I shift into 2nd, any thoughts?

BigDaddySRT
06-25-2013, 09:53 AM
That light is "Mr. Squiggles"... he lights up when the TTC System is trying to control power delivery to the front wheels.

Robert Nixon
06-25-2013, 09:58 AM
The answer is in the manual:
The ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light (located
in the instrument cluster) starts to flash as soon as the
tires lose traction and the ESC system becomes active.
The ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light also
flashes when TCS is active. If the ESC Activation/
Malfunction Indicator Light begins to flash during acceleration,
ease up on the accelerator and apply as little
throttle as possible. Be sure to adapt your speed and
driving to the prevailing road conditions.

if the light is on all the time, it is a malfunction. if the light is blinking, it's just telling you that it's doing its ESC or traction control thing because you're exceeding normal grip or steering in some way, nothing to worry about.

rallyesports
06-25-2013, 10:00 AM
The answer is in the manual:
The ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light (located
in the instrument cluster) starts to flash as soon as the
tires lose traction and the ESC system becomes active.
The ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light also
flashes when TCS is active. If the ESC Activation/
Malfunction Indicator Light begins to flash during acceleration,
ease up on the accelerator and apply as little
throttle as possible. Be sure to adapt your speed and
driving to the prevailing road conditions.

if the light is on all the time, it is a malfunction. if the light is blinking, it's just telling you that it's doing its ESC or traction control thing because you're exceeding normal grip or steering in some way, nothing to worry about.

thanks so much man :), I noticed the 2013 models they dont give you a full manual, just a chessy one with a DVD that dont explane much about the car.

Robert Nixon
06-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I found the manual on line and just saved it, comes in handy

Tweak
06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
thanks so much man :), I noticed the 2013 models they dont give you a full manual, just a chessy one with a DVD that dont explane much about the car.

You can get the rather thick paper manual for the car for free, just call FIAT HQ or send a msg to FiatCares (Jonathan) here on the forum with your name, address, and the VIN and if like me you'll have it in a few days. ;)

As for the ESC light, I see it a lot, just means I am having a lot of fun and will need new tires sooner rather than later. :D

FiatCares
06-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Feel free to send me a PM with your VIN: As long as you are the original owner of the vehicle, I can send one out top you free of charge.

rallyesports
06-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Feel free to send me a PM with your VIN: As long as you are the original owner of the vehicle, I can send one out top you free of charge.

Thanks so much, just sent you a PM

NACHE
06-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Jonathan;
I`d appreciate a manual.I`m the original owner....its a Abarth,2013...vin # is=3C3CFFFH5DT551646.Purchased from:Finley Fiat.....Las vegas Nv.

XN Ross
2234 Sandstone cliffs dr.
Henderson Nv 89044

Thank you

XN

b56.1m6
06-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Jonathan, I sent you a PM for the paper manual also. Thanks Rich

FiatCares
06-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Jonathan;
I`d appreciate a manual.I`m the original owner....its a Abarth,2013...vin # is=3C3CFFFH5DT551646.Purchased from:Finley Fiat.....Las vegas Nv.

XN Ross
2234 Sandstone cliffs dr.
Henderson Nv 89044

Thank you

XN

PM sent...

DJ Sueno
06-25-2013, 06:25 PM
It doesn't seem to take a lot to get the ESC light to start flashing... I don't even have a piggyback ECU...

Are those with the piggyback's seeing it even more frequently ? I would think it could get a bit annoying... :dunno:

jguerdat
06-25-2013, 06:30 PM
At the Abarth Experience they wouldn't turn off ESC. It was constantly blinking for a few to several seconds on me, especially on the track module where I had a chance to glance down. The instructor driving me around for a hot lap mentioned it, too...

Felnus
06-25-2013, 07:01 PM
I can get it to flash with a strong launch in my Sport. If I had an Abarth, it would be flashing like a Christmas tree all the time. :burnout:

Tweak
06-25-2013, 11:26 PM
It doesn't seem to take a lot to get the ESC light to start flashing... I don't even have a piggyback ECU...

Are those with the piggyback's seeing it even more frequently ? I would think it could get a bit annoying... :dunno:

Do you consider strobe lights annoying? :D

;)

Robert Nixon
06-26-2013, 09:06 AM
two thoughts on obnoxious warning lights:

1. If you're driving aggressively enough for these lights to come on, you probably shouldn't be looking at the dash, because something exciting (bad) might happen!
2. one little sticky note will get that flashing light out of your vision easy!

DJ Sueno
06-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Do you consider strobe lights annoying? :D

;)
They are pretty cool in the nightclub, along with the disco ball, and some occassional fog... DJsmile

Tweak
06-29-2013, 11:19 PM
They are pretty cool in the nightclub, along with the disco ball, and some occassional fog... DJsmile

But not so much on the dash of an Abarth huh? :D

William M Jacocks Jr
06-30-2013, 01:15 PM
I had it flashing occasionally, my best duration was when I shifted to second and got it flashing again all the way to 45 mph.